No announcement yet.

Joe Gans vs Pernell Whitaker

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe Gans vs Pernell Whitaker

The 2 defensive masters of the lightweight division.
    15 Rounds/ Lightweight.

I see these two men fighting a chess match with one of two scenarios.
    Joe Gans uses his old craft to win a razor-thin split decision.
    Both men battle to a draw.

Who wins and how?

Originally posted by "Marvelous" View Post
    The 2 defensive masters of the lightweight division.
    15 Rounds/ Lightweight.

I see these two men fighting a chess match with one of two scenarios.
    Joe Gans uses his old craft to win a razor-thin split decision.
    Both men battle to a draw.

Who wins and how?
    Pernell was tough defensively and physically but Joe Gans who fought men much heavier than him and was also a better puncher gets my nod...Pernell puts upa good fight but I see him beating Gans. Gans could knock out guys with a punch, was very good at spotting weaknesses immediately and very good at exeuting them. He had 90 career knockouts and his defense was so superb that people thought he was reading their mind(Pernell had a great defense too, I just don't see him as lightweight flattenning welterweights like Gans did). In a 3 fight series I give it 2-1 to Gans...Pernell was great to me Gans was greater, but if some one picks him over Gans I am fine with it too. To me its Gans because while both had excellent defense I see him having the better firepower and ring experience (Pernell is experienced, but comeon he never can have the same as Gans)...Gans has a better chance of exploiting a slim chance than Whitaker, and when two defensive marvels meet oppurtunities are always low.
    Last edited by Greatest1942; 09-27-2010, 01:13 PM.

Comment

I like gans on this one.

I rank him as the best lightweight ever

Comment

Gans by split decision over 15 rounds, if it's around 45 rounds, 27th round stoppage for Gans over Whitaker.

Comment

Tough fight to call! I've seen quite alot of 'flicker'film on Gans, there is quite a fair bit out there............. and his movements, accuracy and genius is not hard to spot.

I might be prepared to give a 12 round fight to Whitaker by decision. I cant say that I recall seeing Gans in with a southpaw and I think that Pea might be too much of a bag of tricks to figure out over the shorter distance.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
            Tough fight to call! I've seen quite alot of 'flicker'film on Gans, there is quite a fair bit out there............. and his movements, accuracy and genius is not hard to spot.

I might be prepared to give a 12 round fight to Whitaker by decision. I cant say that I recall seeing Gans in with a southpaw and I think that Pea might be too much of a bag of tricks to figure out over the shorter distance.
            Frank Erne was a very skilled fighter and a southpaw inall probability..plus Gans fought a lot of men and some surely would have been southpaws.Erne was as tricky as they come.

Pea might decision him in 12th however, but its still a tough call.

Comment

Originally posted by Greatest1942 View Post
              Frank Erne was a very skilled fighter and a southpaw inall probability..plus Gans fought a lot of men and some surely would have been southpaws.Erne was as tricky as they come.

Pea might decision him in 12th however, but its still a tough call.

I wasn't aware that Frank Erne was a southpaw. I dont doubt that Gans will have fought or at least sparred a few southpaws but they were much rarer back then than now.

Tough fight to call though, Gans was good.

Comment

Working...
              X