View Full Version : fast twitch muscles and sprinting

josh-hill
09-23-2010, 02:30 PM
hi guys. ive heard that sprinting helps build fast twitch muscles. however dose this just meen for the muscles used in springing? i.e. legs. or dose it make all muscles adapt? thanks

bcfc
09-23-2010, 04:16 PM
leg,hip muscles mainly i assume, doing faster pullups/pushups will help the upper body fast twitch muscles.

mrboxer
09-23-2010, 05:48 PM
hi guys. ive heard that sprinting helps build fast twitch muscles. however dose this just meen for the muscles used in springing? i.e. legs. or dose it make all muscles adapt? thankswho did you hear that from,sprinting is good for quickness,it gives a quick release from the moment you leave:boxing: the starting blocks to the finish:boxing:

PEBBLES!
09-24-2010, 02:36 AM
It also helps if you're East African. :fing02:

josh-hill
09-24-2010, 03:57 AM
Sadly I'm not. How do I know if I am fast twitch or slow twitch muscle dominant?

josh-hill
09-24-2010, 05:11 AM
also am i right in thinking fast twitch muscles are more important in boxing?

Spartacus Sully
09-24-2010, 05:38 AM
fast twitch are useful for sprinting 100 meters a few times as fast as you can and then resting for 2 days.

slow twitch are useful for flapping your wings like a humming bird for hours on end.

what do you thinks better for boxing?

and the speed of a punch dosnt come from fast twitch fibers, it comes from kinetic linking.

like lets say theres 3 muscles between your feet and your fist. if all three of these muscles are fast twitch this will result in you flexing all of them at once and throwing your punch as fast twitch are higly sensitive to eletrical current.

lets say there are 3 muscles between your feet and your fist. if all three of these muscles are slow twitch this result in you being able to flex the first muscle and as the momentum of that movement flows into the second muscle your then able to flex that muscle carrying the momentum and accelerating it untill the momentum reaches the third muscle which you then use to contuinue carrying the momentum and accelerate it into your fist.

josh-hill
09-24-2010, 08:09 AM
so slow twitch muscles are better? i kind of get what you are saying there but surely if those muscles do the same thing but faster then the punch will land faster and with more power? i know you need insane endurance for boxing also but i was under the assumption that fast twitch muscles create an oxygen debt during the round then you aerobically respire in the rest in-between rounds to repay the debt and then can act anaerobically again?

Spartacus Sully
09-24-2010, 08:52 AM
so slow twitch muscles are better? i kind of get what you are saying there but surely if those muscles do the same thing but faster then the punch will land faster and with more power? i know you need insane endurance for boxing also but i was under the assumption that fast twitch muscles create an oxygen debt during the round then you aerobically respire in the rest in-between rounds to repay the debt and then can act anaerobically again?

they do diffrent things like fast twitch will make the punch faster from the initial movement but at the cost of less whipping motion so a lower top speed but you have a more constant power so distance matters less as from the initial movement your pretty much already at top speed. slow twitch with practiced proper punching will be only slightly slower but reaches a much higher top speed but distance matters alot more but you have more stamina.

both are important and both can make you a champion, but I personally would rather have very fast slow twitch muscles.

and fast twitch also puts alot of stress on the muscle and theres alot more then oxygen that needs to be replenished.

mrboxer
09-24-2010, 09:42 AM
also am i right in thinking fast twitch muscles are more important in boxing?ithink that sprinting enables good quick outbursts,as in jabs,lateral movement,jumping jacks are also good:boxing::beerchug:

josh-hill
09-24-2010, 01:44 PM
ok well it seems to depend on your style. aparently in the ali vs foreman fight ali was able to win because he was slow twitch dominant and could wait till foreman was tiered out. where as foreman was fast twitch dominant and could ko most oponents fairly quickly. but against ali jsut ran out of steam.

anyways i did a little experiment at the gym and i rekon i am slow twitch dominant. how do i go about training slow twitch muscles to be faster. you said in the other thread shadowboxing with weights but i dont think that makes sense because that increases speed stregnth not explosive stregnth. and its explosive you want. surely having bigger fast twitch muscles will help speed up the slow twitch muscles?

Spartacus Sully
09-24-2010, 02:00 PM
ok well it seems to depend on your style. aparently in the ali vs foreman fight ali was able to win because he was slow twitch dominant and could wait till foreman was tiered out. where as foreman was fast twitch dominant and could ko most oponents fairly quickly. but against ali jsut ran out of steam.

anyways i did a little experiment at the gym and i rekon i am slow twitch dominant. how do i go about training slow twitch muscles to be faster. you said in the other thread shadowboxing with weights but i dont think that makes sense because that increases speed stregnth not explosive stregnth. and its explosive you want. surely having bigger fast twitch muscles will help speed up the slow twitch muscles?

explosive strength isnt necessarily fast twitch fibers but instead the ability to use a large amount of fibers at once.

the act of shadow boxing with weights trains you to activate as many fibers as possible explosively in a punch as well as training speed strength at the same time. and by doing it over and over and over again you also train stamina.

plus when you shadow box with weights and with out in the same session you train your body to become accustom to the higher speeds and mentally strive to punch faster even when that feeling of punching faster wears off.

josh-hill
09-24-2010, 04:13 PM
ok cool. if it is important to get muscles working together i heard weeightlifting helps as all teh fibers are recruited to lift and it makes the muscle work together.

mrboxer
09-24-2010, 05:15 PM

anyways i did a little experiment at the gym and i rekon i am slow twitch dominant. how do i go about training slow twitch muscles to be faster. you said in the other thread shadowboxing with weights but i dont think that makes sense because that increases speed stregnth not explosive stregnth. and its explosive you want. surely having bigger fast twitch muscles will help speed up the slow twitch muscles?it seems you are a fan of the twitch,i think that sprinting helps the body move in a more quicker way,it can really let someone suddenly burst into the foray of things:boxing:

Spartacus Sully
09-25-2010, 06:24 AM
ok cool. if it is important to get muscles working together i heard weeightlifting helps as all teh fibers are recruited to lift and it makes the muscle work together.

yes it recruits plenty of fibers and builds muscle memory to use all those fibers but the muscle memory and the recruitment is only built for those weight lifting movements.

sure this seems like an improvement as your fast twitch fibers are stronger but when you do explosive things in movements besides what you trained at your only going to be activating your fast twitch muscles (due to their conductive properties) while a few slow twitch might activate but for the most part they are just going to sit there and let the fast twitch do all the work.

and sprinting is a great idea as it builds explosiveness training you to recruit more muscle fibers and not by training fast twitch muscle fibers.

One more round
09-25-2010, 06:32 AM
fast twitch are useful for sprinting 100 meters a few times as fast as you can and then resting for 2 days.

slow twitch are useful for flapping your wings like a humming bird for hours on end.

what do you thinks better for boxing?

and the speed of a punch dosnt come from fast twitch fibers, it comes from kinetic linking.

like lets say theres 3 muscles between your feet and your fist. if all three of these muscles are fast twitch this will result in you flexing all of them at once and throwing your punch as fast twitch are higly sensitive to eletrical current.

lets say there are 3 muscles between your feet and your fist. if all three of these muscles are slow twitch this result in you being able to flex the first muscle and as the momentum of that movement flows into the second muscle your then able to flex that muscle carrying the momentum and accelerating it untill the momentum reaches the third muscle which you then use to contuinue carrying the momentum and accelerate it into your fist.

What the **** are you talking about

One more round
09-25-2010, 06:33 AM

How the hell was Ali slow twitch dominant? He had hands faster than most Welters and he was 6''3 220lbs for ****s sake

Spartacus Sully
09-25-2010, 06:35 AM
What the **** are you talking about

kinetic linking?

google it

momentum is conserved and transferred and the movement of one distal segment effects another.

Spartacus Sully
09-25-2010, 06:37 AM
How the hell was Ali slow twitch dominant? He had hands faster than most Welters and he was 6''3 220lbs for ****s sake

and most top marathon runners can average 5 mins a mile for 26 miles averaging something like 12 miles an hour

are they fast twitch too?

you dont think training his hands with shadow boxing for years on end had anything to do with his speed?

no of course not it must have been all that weight lifing and push ups he would do.

josh-hill
09-25-2010, 09:03 AM
well ok ali wasnt slow twitch dominant but he was more so that foreman.

mrboxer
09-27-2010, 09:57 AM
do you think so,:boxing:

josh-hill
09-27-2010, 11:39 AM
well i did but i have verry limited knoledge. ali and foreman where way before my time and i cant watch any fights and seeing as noone talks about them any more ive picked up titbits of information of the internet. so its probably wrong :D. but that isnt the important thing. the important thing is wether you need fast or slow twitch muslces and what i should be working on.

also after a bit of googling (so again maybe unreliable) i found that boxing is an anaerobic sport and therefore uses anaerobic (fast twitch) muscles and the way to condition is to do things like sprints that help the body deal with anaerobic workouts.

Vitez
09-28-2010, 05:01 PM
what about kettlebell lifting?