View Full Version : Running? Why?

One more round
09-17-2010, 08:25 PM
Now of course being a boxer I run. 3-4 times a week usually. But I'm wondering why running is such a favoured form of conditioning amongst fighters. It is a motion we don't even use in the ring.

Does anyone know specifically why running is the favoured way to condition yourself in boxing?

Barn
09-17-2010, 08:30 PM
Is helps Cardio Respiratory endurance a great deal. ie, it increases the amount of air (oxygen) your lungs can take in with practise which is effective in all physical sports so you do not get tired as easy, it will also help muscle endurance slightly because muscles require oxygen to work effectively and a better lung capacity = more oxygen.

You can do a Marvin Hagler and run half of your route backwards and sideways to prepare for movements in the ring but, the backwards can be a kill on your calfs without practising first.

mushahadeen
09-17-2010, 09:14 PM
You could probably replicate the physical benefits in other ways.

But I don't think you can build the same type of discipline and mental toughness it takes to get up every single day and run, usually alone, through swimming or doing the gay elliptical for 15 minutes.

SBleeder
09-17-2010, 09:58 PM
I've tried other things and nothing is as hard as running, both for the legs and for the lungs.

Every good amateur fighter I know runs; that's good enough for me.

ScottDBA
09-18-2010, 12:15 AM
Builds endurance in your legs.

Is cheap/doesn't require any machine or equipment save for shoes.

Since you don't use your upper body (much) you can run in the morning and not be worn out for boxing training later in the day.

One more round
09-18-2010, 12:20 AM
Good answers.

I usually do 4x2 min rounds of stair runs (sprint up the stairs hard, go down quickly and repeat), twice per week, then a sprints session on saturdays (400s, 800s, 600s, stuff like that) , and sometimes one other run, usually a longer one, although now I'm at 132 I have no problem with my weight so I don't do too many of them.

ScottDBA
09-18-2010, 12:53 AM
Yeah if you don't have any issues making weight you don't need to be running long distance every morning. Couple sprint sesions and maybe one long run will be fine.

I like the 400/600/800m sprints you're running. I used to do just sprint 50yards then jog back but I this week I started doing 100,200 and 400m (I'll build up to 6 and 800 lol) and I can tell it will help my conditioning alot.

One more round
09-18-2010, 12:55 AM
Yeah, the sprints are great. We also mix them up by doing stuff like run a 300 or 400m sprint, and then do a round on the pads straight away, rest and repeat 3 or 4 times.

Or stuff like 4x600m, and then 3-4 rounds of some shuttle run type things, where we have markers numbered 1-5 about 15m away from each other and the coach yells which to run to. And then we do shadowboxing focussing on movement so we know our legs won't gas out when we're tired.

Spartacus Sully
09-18-2010, 01:58 PM
Well the lungs hold alot of air and every time you breath in and out about 10-20% of that air is replaced while something like 75-100 cubic inches of air remains.

one of the most important things of boxing is breathing and keeping that repository of air in your lungs continually cycling while making sure not to breath out or breath in too much air.

jogging allows you the greatest opportunity, amongst all the different ways that you can condition your cardio, to master this art of breathing.

this is why the best thing you can do for boxing is boxing and the best thing you can do for swimming is swimming and the best thing for biking is biking and rowing rowing and foot ball foot ball and tennis tennis....ect but the second best thing you can do for every one of these sports is running.

Trick
09-18-2010, 03:48 PM
Like most of us, I too have a hard time motivating my self to go run 5 in the morning. I try to mix it up with sprints and stuff though as well myself. When you feel **** it can be easy to rationalize your way out of it, but in most fights, the guy who's been more disciplined with his roadwork is usually the guy with his hand raised.

mrboxer
09-21-2010, 10:53 AM
Now of course being a boxer I run. 3-4 times a week usually. But I'm wondering why running is such a favoured form of conditioning amongst fighters. It is a motion we don't even use in the ring.

Does anyone know specifically why running is the favoured way to condition yourself in boxing?you seem very confused about this,running is a good source of energy,:boxing::drillserg

Righthandbanger
09-21-2010, 04:30 PM
Builds endurance in your legs.

Is cheap/doesn't require any machine or equipment save for shoes.

Since you don't use your upper body (much) you can run in the morning and not be worn out for boxing training later in the day.

I don't get this.

When I'm sparring my lower body normally feels it at least as much as my upper body.

calves, quads and shoulders are normally what gets sore for me, so a hard run in the morning normally effects my training later.

mrboxer
09-21-2010, 05:30 PM
I don't get this.

When I'm sparring my lower body normally feels it at least as much as my upper body.

calves, quads and shoulders are normally what gets sore for me, so a hard run in the morning normally effects my training later.are you wearing a proper fitting running shoe with a sock that has good padding,:boxing::drillserg

-Johannes-
09-23-2010, 02:49 PM
Please guys don't substitute running with other cardio. For the boxers, If you guys don't feel motivated enough to run early in the morning just think that your opponent is already up and running ready to be in th best shape in order to fight you and beat your ass up. :boxing:

Righthandbanger
11-06-2010, 11:21 AM
are you wearing a proper fitting running shoe with a sock that has good padding,:boxing::drillserg

What does this have to do with anything? The point I made is that boxing is not an upper body sport. Its a WHOLE body sport.

Any training you do earlier in the say will probably have some effect on your boxing training.