View Full Version : How to fight vs Counter puncher

Uturn
09-16-2010, 08:47 PM
GOT my ass whooped in sparring tonight as I just couldn't deal with a damn counter puncher. Now, i'm a bit of a counter puncher myself but this guy wouldn't throw ANYTHING until I unloaded, so I thought to hell with it, I made the first move on most occasions, which resulted in me getting counter punched everytime! It was hard to get a reaction from the guy until I threw first, he was quick to, so it didn't go down to well on my behalf. Im guessing pressing, covering up, throwing in volumes, is the way to do it? But this really isn't my style as I like to counter myself! Thoughts?

Dan-O-Mac
09-16-2010, 09:32 PM
Did you try to mix in some feinting?

Uturn
09-16-2010, 09:57 PM
Did you try to mix in some feinting?

I didn't do an awful lot of feinting admittedly! I think I was to predictable but being the aggressor is not my game. It was basically counter puncher vs counter puncher so I initiated the attacks which was out of my own comfort zone as i'm use to countering often myself! Im guessing to triple the jab, get in close, pressure him, close the gap to throw him off next time.

One more round
09-16-2010, 10:02 PM
I have ran into the same trouble when fighting other counterpunchers. You need to fake, fake try and get a reaction, and then go from there. So if you fake the jab and he slips to the outside, fake it again and throw the left hook, which he will move into. Stuff like that.

Easier said than done i know.

Uturn
09-16-2010, 10:21 PM
I have ran into the same trouble when fighting other counterpunchers. You need to fake, fake try and get a reaction, and then go from there. So if you fake the jab and he slips to the outside, fake it again and throw the left hook, which he will move into. Stuff like that.

Yeah I guess vs counterpunchers, the only way is to get a reaction in order for you counter that! I'm going to practise on a couple of fakes to try sunday. The thing is with counterpunchers they are always comfortable at distance, it's more predictable for them. I almost sound like i'm talking about my own weaknesses here, as fighting in close is not my game so fighting in close isn't going to help me out to much here logically thinking!

putaloco
09-16-2010, 10:29 PM
feints are the key. do not be predictable because hes looking for patterns in your game.

Dan-O-Mac
09-16-2010, 10:48 PM
I didn't do an awful lot of feinting admittedly! I think I was to predictable but being the aggressor is not my game. It was basically counter puncher vs counter puncher so I initiated the attacks which was out of my own comfort zone as i'm use to countering often myself! Im guessing to triple the jab, get in close, pressure him, close the gap to throw him off next time.

Wouldn't pressuring him play against you, as you said you're a counter puncher yourself.

Did you try working off of his counters? Being a counter puncher you should have an idea of what punches he's going to counter you with.

Sucker him in. Kinda like feinting but actually commit to the punch. Example, throw a lazy or hard jab on purpose and anticipate his right hand counter and what you're going to do once he throws his counter.

Make a list of counters he's hitting you with and while you're shadowboxing or hitting the bag, work on what you plan on doing after he commits.

ippo
09-16-2010, 11:06 PM
make it rough.

One more round
09-16-2010, 11:27 PM
Another thing is sometimes if the other counterpuncher is longer and faster than you, and either more skilled or evenly skilled, you have to go onto the front foot and fight them. Because if they have the reach, speed and skill advantage or even the same skills as you, there is little chance outboxing them. So go onto the front foot, let your hands go, push in close, rough them up, do whatever dirty tricks you can get away with.

One more round
09-16-2010, 11:29 PM
God I can't wait to spar again lol. offtopic i know, but i haven't been in the ring since my last fight two weeks ago. Injured my right pinky finger, and just last night i ripped my big toenail off. So all ive been doing is hitting the bag with my left hand and shadowboxing

Domey
09-17-2010, 01:31 AM
Counter punchers need to be set when they counter. One of the main things you can do is pressure the fight, and jab your way in. Another is using feints.

One of the main things is to keep using angles and movement. If you are moving, then they have to as well to throw a good counter.

Equilibrium
09-17-2010, 02:44 AM
Like it has already been said, feint a lot. Changing levels also works well for me, stuff like jab to the body then throw a straight right to the head.(left if you are a southpaw.)

Pressure also works but only if you are willing to take his punches and walk through them.

Uturn
09-17-2010, 07:57 AM
Wouldn't pressuring him play against you, as you said you're a counter puncher yourself.

Did you try working off of his counters? Being a counter puncher you should have an idea of what punches he's going to counter you with.

Sucker him in. Kinda like feinting but actually commit to the punch. Example, throw a lazy or hard jab on purpose and anticipate his right hand counter and what you're going to do once he throws his counter.

Make a list of counters he's hitting you with and while you're shadowboxing or hitting the bag, work on what you plan on doing after he commits.

Yeah it's not really my game to pressure fighters, I'm always on the move in the ring, I wait for the moment to arise then let go. This sounds a good idea, i'll try that next time. I really need to do more shadow boxing to!

Thanks for all the the other replies to, i'm going to tighten a few things for next week. It wont be as one sided next time!

cja07007
09-17-2010, 12:26 PM
I like to try and slow those reflexs down the first round and a half by crouding him and going to the body with volume. hit his elbows and sholders as well. I find then he kind of looses his edge if i really work his body.

Amazinger
09-17-2010, 12:59 PM

Good point,The thing is you'll notice it after about 3 rounds that your opponent is a counterpuncher.(I mean when you're in the ringyour mind is not really looking for it)
Feint and changing my style worked for me.either go southpaw or brawl.

southpaw2884
09-17-2010, 01:20 PM
i give you counter punchers props that **** is hard to wait for someone to come at ya all the time. i like to mix it up. but my trainer always tells me to look for the counter while i am attacking. cause if i am fighting a counter puncher i will throw like a right hook straight left, sometimes i will throw the right hook to the body or double my left. i guess what i am saying is you can pressure him but still look to counter if you have quick hands

johncods
09-17-2010, 01:51 PM
Feint, Feint, Feint, make him react!!!

fdotorres
09-17-2010, 02:24 PM
they tend to get pretty uncomfortable with excessive amounts of pressure

if you're pretty fast, just try to take it up a notch. feints, pressure, and tough angles are the key though

mushahadeen
09-17-2010, 09:15 PM
GOT my ass whooped in sparring tonight as I just couldn't deal with a damn counter puncher. Now, i'm a bit of a counter puncher myself but this guy wouldn't throw ANYTHING until I unloaded, so I thought to hell with it, I made the first move on most occasions, which resulted in me getting counter punched everytime! It was hard to get a reaction from the guy until I threw first, he was quick to, so it didn't go down to well on my behalf. Im guessing pressing, covering up, throwing in volumes, is the way to do it? But this really isn't my style as I like to counter myself! Thoughts?

If Jose Cortez is the referee you are royally fvcked.

Shabba Rank$
09-17-2010, 09:46 PM
If you have a good chin, you can do what Margarito does...

Take his best shot walk right through it and keep coming forward putting constant pressure on him until he finally succombs to the pressure and you can destroy him when he's on the ropes. And always hit him with angles like Margarito does.

Dan-O-Mac
09-17-2010, 10:10 PM
Yeah it's not really my game to pressure fighters, I'm always on the move in the ring, I wait for the moment to arise then let go. This sounds a good idea, i'll try that next time. I really need to do more shadow boxing to!

Thanks for all the the other replies to, i'm going to tighten a few things for next week. It wont be as one sided next time!

Good luck! Let us know which tactics you used and had success with.

DeepSleep
09-20-2010, 02:31 AM
If the above comments don't work try not engaging him at all. Pack it in and wait for him to engage you. Usually in these type fights the fighter with the better jab/footwork can force the other to engage or be forced to slowly lose the battle of the jabs from the outside.

Domey
09-20-2010, 05:05 AM
If the above comments don't work try not engaging him at all. Pack it in and wait for him to engage you. Usually in these type fights the fighter with the better jab/footwork can force the other to engage or be forced to slowly lose the battle of the jabs from the outside.

That may work for a few seconds and people have tried that with me. A simple solution for me was to walk them down and throw a lazy jab waiting for them, and counter their counter. After a few of those the rhythm changes back to how it was and I get my way again.

Fight your fight, not his. A counter puncher is most likely very quick and flashy. Not throwing is some of the worst advice, because then they are able to pick their shots without worrying about getting hit.

#1Assassin
09-21-2010, 07:21 AM
the key is using the jab, feints, angles, combinations and speed>power.

either make him twitch then throw something else or make him lead and then counter his counter. the key to the second is to know him, what is his favourite counter? what did he hit you with the most last time around? then set traps for him. if you are quick enough u can beat him to the punch too, that will shut down his offense completely.

pivot alot, that way u can take away one of his hands and his counters will be more predictable.

jab up and down, with lots and lots of feints. then start throwing the right hand, down the pipe and overhands, body and head. throw a few lead right hands too if you have the speed, timing and boxing IQ for it. being unpredictable is the key.

mix up your timing, dont throw every punch with the same speed and power. throw a jab, another jab and then directly after the second jab throw a fast right hand. like a 1--1-2.

do that with all your combinations. 1--1-1(body), 1--3-2. feint a jab, slip inside his jab as you jab to the head, throw a normal right hook to the body and a fast right uppercut to the head, normal left hook to the head then a fast right hand. make sure you dont slow down half your punches but speed up the other half.

try throwing a hard straight punch at his chest, he will be forced to block it using both hands and cant counter. then u throw 3-4 quick punches right after.

DeepSleep
09-21-2010, 02:31 PM
That may work for a few seconds and people have tried that with me. A simple solution for me was to walk them down and throw a lazy jab waiting for them, and counter their counter. After a few of those the rhythm changes back to how it was and I get my way again.

Fight your fight, not his. A counter puncher is most likely very quick and flashy. Not throwing is some of the worst advice, because then
they are able to pick their shots without worrying about getting hit.

I think the poster who started this thread was a counter puncher himself whose problem was his opponent(another counter puncher) wouldn't throw anything unless he initialed the action. If the poster is not comfortable pressing the action and instead likes countering I can't see how him trying to fight like a pressure fighter would benefit him unless he was adept at applying pressure.

Domey
09-24-2010, 04:50 AM
I think the poster who started this thread was a counter puncher himself whose problem was his opponent(another counter puncher) wouldn't throw anything unless he initialed the action. If the poster is not comfortable pressing the action and instead likes countering I can't see how him trying to fight like a pressure fighter would benefit him unless he was adept at applying pressure.

Didn't catch the part that he was a counter puncher himself.

Counter puncher vs counter puncher makes for a fairly boring fight for people to watch, but inside the ring it is a very heated chess match. Pretty much you need to try and set up your counter, by countering his counter. This can get hard and you really need to stop thinking past "He throws a jab, I throw a xx".

If you do not feel comfortable pushing the fight, then don't. However this is just sparring, and that is where you should be making your mistakes. If you feel comfortable and confident as a counter puncher, then I would start working on pressuring the fighter.

It is something you have to feel out and learn by experience. Every fight is going to be different, and you need to learn to pick up on things and react.

This guy wasn't throwing a single thing until you threw. That tells me that he is scared to get countered himself and scared to take a punch. It's very easy for a counter puncher to dip and block/prarry shots thrown to their head, from straight on angles. Secondly, if you throw combos they will most likely stay on defense and wait for you to throw single punches.

Throw multiple jabs at a time, along with other combination's. Pivots and angles are going to be your best friend, as I already said, he will need to be set to throw his counter.

Rockin'
09-28-2010, 06:23 AM
Feint-feint and feint. Draw him out man and then counter him. I was sparring with a guy who was exclusively a counter puncher, he gave me fits for about a week. I was turned into a pressure fighter by a trainer and was always moving forward. One day I rolled in to box and decided to resort back to boxing rather then banging. So when we sparred I waited and waited for him to make a move. One half step back as soon as I saw him commit and counter Never had a problem with him since.

Boxing isnt just banging and keeping busy. With guys like this it becomes a chess match with feints and subtle movement to gain the upperhand. Most of the time keeping busy is how to do it, but not with these guys. Let him commit first. A quick step back followed by punches will help you. Dont forget to feint trying to draw him out.................Rockin':boxing: