View Full Version : Can you defend against uppercuts to chin with forearms?

hugh grant
09-14-2010, 07:39 PM
Or is it just with the parry? My boxing book is a bit confusing because when it has got defense for uppercuts the pic looks like the uppercut punch is being aimed at the body, and not the head. So its confusing if you get what im saying.

The book says you can block uppercuts with forearms. But i dont know if the book means to the chin or the body?

Del Coqui
09-14-2010, 08:38 PM
Or is it just with the parry? My boxing book is a bit confusing because when it has got defense for uppercuts the pic looks like the uppercut punch is being aimed at the body, and not the head. So its confusing if you get what im saying.

The book says you can block uppercuts with forearms. But i dont know if the book means to the chin or the body?

If the other guy is a lot stronger than you he will be able to split your guard when throwing to your chin. If he knows what he's doing he'll throw more than one to open up your guard and land the next one. To the body its a different story.

Clegg
09-14-2010, 10:26 PM
Moving your arm into position to block with the forearm would take longer than just moving to parry. So you'd be doing a movement that was slower, left you in a less advantageous position to counter, and possibly was less effective at stopping your opponent landing.

JMO, however. I haven't been to a boxing gym in more than 2 years so am far from an authority on the subject.