View Full Version : Larry Holmes Place in Boxing History

grant555
07-31-2005, 01:06 AM
I am curious what people think about Holmes and his boxing legacy. Holmes is one of my favorite fighters not only because of his brilliant left jab, but because he seem to have fought in relative obscurity for years, while defending his title a record 20 times. Still, age caught up with Holmes, which was evident when he fought Tyson, but in his prime he would've beat Mike. Ironically, Mike himself admitted that after the fight. The last and most important reason why I think Holmes deserves recognition is how he handled his assets after boxing. He is one of the few guys to retire and not live broke afterwards; a trend I wish more fighters adopted.

Tha Greatest
08-01-2005, 01:38 AM
I am curious what people think about Holmes and his boxing legacy. Holmes is one of my favorite fighters not only because of his brilliant left jab, but because he seem to have fought in relative obscurity for years, while defending his title a record 20 times. Still, age caught up with Holmes, which was evident when he fought Tyson, but in his prime he would've beat Mike. Ironically, Mike himself admitted that after the fight. The last and most important reason why I think Holmes deserves recognition is how he handled his assets after boxing. He is one of the few guys to retire and not live broke afterwards; a trend I wish more fighters adopted.

Definately...

I think Holmes would be the mean to defeat Mike Tyson...

Shaolin Bushido
08-01-2005, 01:50 AM
Holmes is a top ten all time. He's got maybe the second or third longest reign, almost broke Rocky's record ... he's an all timer for sure.

Tha Greatest
08-01-2005, 02:42 AM
Holmes is a top ten all time. He's got maybe the second or third longest reign, almost broke Rocky's record ... he's an all timer for sure.

Very true...

I don't rate him on his record or nothin...

but on his skill...

He was one of the most talented heavyweights of all time...

M26
08-01-2005, 07:48 AM
No doubt a great fighter, underrated by some. Definitely in the top-ten of the all-time heavyweights. Extremely talented fighter, who just had the misfortune to become champion right after Ali retired.

oakleyno1
08-01-2005, 09:16 AM
i have holmes around 6th on my all time list. Theres no doubt hes a great but like lennix lewis i think did not get the credit he deserved until much later on

BAREKNUCKLES
08-01-2005, 03:16 PM
Larry Holmes had many things in his corner to make him a great champion.

He had great size, quick hands, an incredibly long reach and was very crafty in the ring and not to mention excellent power.

Larry cut his teeth sparring with the greatest heavyweights of all time.

There are two things that he needed to become one of the very few "elite" fighters, and that would be quality opponents. The heavyweight division during his tenure lacked any kind of lustre.

Had there been other great heavys during his prime like a Mike Tyson or Evander Holyfield, Larry could have become a defining fighter.

However, his lack of charisma and beating up Ali ruined his chance at becoming a "people's champion".

Larry's skills and physical ability were on par with any heavyweight in history, but history has shown that the true great champions were beloved by their fans.

Larry was not a beloved champion.

Sad but true.

In terms of skill, I rank him top 5

In terms of being a master entertainer, he wouldn't crack the top 20.

oakleyno1
08-01-2005, 03:23 PM
unfortunetly if he had not taken the ali fight evry1 wuda said oh u were scared etc
and if he had charisma people wuda gone oh ur ttrying to b like ali he cudnt win... also after the spinks fight saying rocky m cudnt carry his jockstrap was not clecver

Tha Greatest
08-01-2005, 04:10 PM
Larry Holmes had many things in his corner to make him a great champion.

He had great size, quick hands, an incredibly long reach and was very crafty in the ring and not to mention excellent power.

Larry cut his teeth sparring with the greatest heavyweights of all time.

There are two things that he needed to become one of the very few "elite" fighters, and that would be quality opponents. The heavyweight division during his tenure lacked any kind of lustre.

Had there been other great heavys during his prime like a Mike Tyson or Evander Holyfield, Larry could have become a defining fighter.

However, his lack of charisma and beating up Ali ruined his chance at becoming a "people's champion".

Larry's skills and physical ability were on par with any heavyweight in history, but history has shown that the true great champions were beloved by their fans.

Larry was not a beloved champion.

Sad but true.

In terms of skill, I rank him top 5

In terms of being a master entertainer, he wouldn't crack the top 20.

Not only did he knock out Ali that made the people hate him...but he knocked out "The Great White Hope" Gerry Cooney who the country had nothin but love for...

chopper77
08-02-2005, 10:50 AM
The all time best jab I have ever seen in the ring, and you know what they say, "everything works off the jab". I would match him up in his prime with any other fighter in their prime.

Ali_is_the_greatest17
08-02-2005, 02:01 PM
The only reason why he became so good was because he was Ali's sparring partner..he even said after he beat Ali that he learned a whole lot from Ali and he made me a great fighter...he showed me what a real champion is.

BadMagick
08-02-2005, 03:46 PM
The only reason why he became so good was because he was Ali's sparring partner..he even said after he beat Ali that he learned a whole lot from Ali and he made me a great fighter...he showed me what a real champion is.

That's not the only reason. He had a great jab, to begin with. Sure, working with Ali helped him a lot, but it most definitely was not the only reason he was great.

Shaolin Bushido
08-03-2005, 08:57 AM
That's called respect ... Ali didn't teach him ****. Sparring didn't teach him **** either due to Ali's unorthodoxy. He was just given Ali his just due as an all timer.

Dempsey 1919
10-27-2005, 04:51 PM
That's called respect ... Ali didn't teach him ****. Sparring didn't teach him **** either due to Ali's unorthodoxy. He was just given Ali his just due as an all timer.
holmes is the closest thing to ali for one one reason, ALI DID TEACH HIM ****. THEY HAVE THE EXACT SAME STYLE YOU MORON. how could holmes (almost) look like ali and ali didn't teach him anything. that doesn't make sense. larry holmes owes his career to muhammad ali. i know it, holmes knows it, ali definitely knows it, and you know it, or you should; and if you don't then you should leave this forum and go join another forum on another sport, because you know crap about boxing and boxing history.

Dynamite76
10-29-2005, 05:07 PM
Larry Holmes was and is, a top-tenner all-time.Only near the end of his reign, did he lose his way.

KidBlackie
10-30-2005, 10:02 AM
[[[I am curious what people think about Holmes and his boxing legacy. Holmes is one of my favorite fighters not only because of his brilliant left jab, but because he seem to have fought in relative obscurity for years, while defending his title a record 20 times.]]]
=================================

Holmes was more than obscure, but his 20 title defenses ain't a record, Ali and Louis had more. Holmes was good, but he really didn't step up to the plate against the best and fought incredibly obscure fighters. Maybe if he'd given a rematch to Norton or Witherspoon, we could forgive him not facing Foreman, Thomas, Page, Tubbs, Coetzee, or Tate.

And, NO, Holmes could never beat Tyson at their bests. Fighters, even Tyson back then, usely give praise to their opponents. Holmes struggled against modest comp sometimes and was given good fights by his better comp. Tyson was an all time great who may have been the best peak fighter who ever lived.

Dempsey 1919
10-31-2005, 06:18 PM
[[[I am curious what people think about Holmes and his boxing legacy. Holmes is one of my favorite fighters not only because of his brilliant left jab, but because he seem to have fought in relative obscurity for years, while defending his title a record 20 times.]]]
=================================

Holmes was more than obscure, but his 20 title defenses ain't a record, Ali and Louis had more. Holmes was good, but he really didn't step up to the plate against the best and fought incredibly obscure fighters. Maybe if he'd given a rematch to Norton or Witherspoon, we could forgive him not facing Foreman, Thomas, Page, Tubbs, Coetzee, or Tate.

And, NO, Holmes could never beat Tyson at their bests. Fighters, even Tyson back then, usely give praise to their opponents. Holmes struggled against modest comp sometimes and was given good fights by his better comp. Tyson was an all time great who may have been the best peak fighter who ever lived.
holmes in his prime could have beaten anyone except ali, and maybe frazier. holmes is a water-down version of ali, and even that is still awesome. that beats tyson to a pulp!

KidBlackie
11-01-2005, 06:58 AM
[[[holmes in his prime could have beaten anyone except ali, and maybe frazier. holmes is a water-down version of ali, and even that is still awesome. that beats tyson to a pulp!]]]
===============================

Kid, you really don't know much. Holmes in most of his physical prime was a novice fighter and sparring partner. An older fading Ken Norton gave him all the 29 yr old Holmes could handle. Note he never gave Norton a rematch either. Young inexperienced Spoon gave Holmes all he could handle, and same story as Norton. Journeyman Snipes had him out on his feet but was not a finisher. A rusty, inexperienced Cooney gave him all he could handle. If Holmes was as good as you claim, he would have faced the best or given at least one of the men above a rematch. He didn't. He was a King made creation although his win ugly style was his own style. End of story except that obviously YOU and he have an inferiority complex over his fine career. It is what it is and you and all of King's men can't make it any greater.

Dempsey 1919
11-01-2005, 02:23 PM
so tell me how would tyson beat a prime holmes?

THE REAL NINJA
11-01-2005, 03:15 PM
20 times is not a record.. joe louis what is it 24 i think

bassing68
11-02-2005, 11:21 PM
I agree putting Holmes in the top 5. his jab was too good and powerful. He was one of the most elusive fighters. he is one of my all time favorites. i just wish terms were different and him get the respect he deserves.

Dempsey 1919
11-03-2005, 03:55 PM
very well said.

Muchmoore
11-03-2005, 04:28 PM
Holmes is 5th on my all time list. You cant argue with 21 heavyweight title defenses ;)

Dempsey 1919
11-08-2005, 03:28 PM
muchmoore, your sig has tyson at number two, which is a joke!