View Full Version : What is the most suprising upset in the history of boxing?

Ali_is_the_greatest17
07-29-2005, 07:06 PM
I think that its gotta be "Buster" Douglas defeating Tyson... All I thought it was going to be was another 1st round KO for Tyson..

Skydog
07-29-2005, 07:18 PM
Maybe Ali over Foreman, or Norton over Ali.

uncle_rico
07-29-2005, 10:28 PM
well, i don't know where this ranks all time, but all i remember is feeling sick to my stomach when i saw roy get floored by tarver.

JohnThomas1
07-30-2005, 11:15 AM
Honeyghan's upset of Curry rates with the above possibly. Barkley over Hearns. Spinks over Holmes. Rosario over Bramble, tho he hits so hard he could beat almost anybody. Duran over Moore and Barkley. Clay over Liston ranks with anything almost. Ray over Marv was decent. Norris over Ray.

phil" the hitman "manny
08-03-2005, 07:40 PM
JohnThomas hit the nail on the head Honeyghan v Curry noone thought Curry could be beat and Barkley Hearns wow!

shortright
08-03-2005, 10:18 PM
johnson over roy jones, because of the way he dominated the fight

Verstyle
10-04-2005, 12:08 AM
buster over tyson

moes
10-04-2005, 12:13 AM
ali over foreman, buster over tyson,wright over trinidad

RwK
10-04-2005, 03:52 AM
wright over trinidad

I dont know where that came from.

I picked Wright by UD as well as plenty of others a long time before it happened.

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33195&highlight=trinidad

Kid Achilles
10-04-2005, 03:58 AM
Schmeling over Louis in the first fight was a big, big upset. As was Braddock over Baer.

xzworks
10-04-2005, 03:58 AM
rahman vs lewis I..lucky boy!!!

RwK
10-04-2005, 04:02 AM
rahman vs lewis I..lucky boy!!!

That is one of my votes right there.

hellfire508
10-04-2005, 05:59 AM
Douglas - Tyson
Ali - Liston I
Braddock - Baer
Ali - Norton

kapersky
10-04-2005, 04:30 PM
my top 3

buster over tyson - by that time the media build up tyson like he was a monster and was incinsible. everybody was talking about tyson.

rahman over lewis - rahman was nobody he had been defeated by worse boxer, so he was basically counting out.

ali over foreman - ali was allready famous and he did had skillz needed but foreman was like from another planet by that time. and ali was beated by norton and frazier so it was evidence that he was beatable. it wasen like when ali vs liston when he was undefeated but underdog.

DudeManGuy216
10-05-2005, 04:56 PM
LaMotta beating Robinson was pretty big because he was undefeated in all his ameteur fights and was 40-0 and after the loss he didn't lose until he was 128-1 against Randy Turpin. He also knocked him down, something Robinson couldn't do.
http://i19.ebayimg.com/01/i/05/15/b2/cb_1_b.JPG

Rockin'
10-05-2005, 06:47 PM
I was so surprised when I was watching as James Toney knocked out Michael Nunn. Nunn was the most skilled fighter at the time and quite honestly, was far more skilled than James.

Part of the surprise was that I had fought on the same team as James just a few years before that fight as amatuers. James showed nothing at the time where you would deem him a future champion. He showed us though that he was.

Rockin' :boxing:

punchers_chance
10-05-2005, 07:14 PM
I was so surprised when I was watching as James Toney knocked out Michael Nunn. Nunn was the most skilled fighter at the time and quite honestly, was far more skilled than James.

Part of the surprise was that I had fought on the same team as James just a few years before that fight as amatuers. James showed nothing at the time where you would deem him a future champion. He showed us though that he was.

Rockin' :boxing:
Good pick. I like that as the biggest upset. Not big commercially, but big in significance.

Douglas over Tyson was a huge upsewt no doubt, but in retrospect, alot of Tyson losing that fight were outside influences. Prime Tyson KO's Buster on his best night.

Ali over Foreman, somewhat of an upset, but damn, it was Ali.

salsanchezfan
10-08-2005, 02:26 AM
In my lifetime, probably Douglas-Tyson. That was huge. Spinks Ali.........well, given Ali's physical condition at the time, and given he'd let a guy like Evangelista go the route with him, maybe that's not quite at the same level. Ali was toast by the time Spinks got to him. Tyson was at least still quite young, and hadn't taken any real punishment. That was a real shocker.

Other notables.........

Braddock-Baer - on the level of Tyson-Douglas at the time. HUGE upset.

Pastrano-Johnson - one of just a handful of times (if that many) a replacement for a replacement won a world title from the champ.

Harada-Jofre - Jofre had never lost, and Harada figured to fit nicely into Jofre's sharpshooting style. Didn't quite work out that way, or in the subsequent fight.

SLIMZ
10-08-2005, 04:26 AM
tyson-douglas......no contest.

also, taylor-hopkins?

barrera-pacquiao.

Dempsey 1919
10-25-2005, 03:21 PM
42 to 1 odds? Are you serious? Buster Douglass was a guy who quit in the middle of many fights. And Iron Mike was the undefeated quintessential killing machine. This guy stopped the great Mike Spinks in 91 seconds. No upset even comes close to this one? Douglass-Tyson hands down.

jekdempxy
10-25-2005, 04:14 PM
LaMotta beating Robinson was pretty big because he was undefeated in all his ameteur fights and was 40-0 and after the loss he didn't lose until he was 128-1 against Randy Turpin. He also knocked him down, something Robinson couldn't do.
http://i19.ebayimg.com/01/i/05/15/b2/cb_1_b.JPGYou are exactly right, he couldnīt do because he lacked power and lamotta was the best chin in the world.

+= El Jefe=+
10-25-2005, 04:49 PM
Douglas Vs Tyson
Tyson was thought of as the greatest ever(not that i agree).
Douglas was a decent figther that had no chance to beat him.
then....

tyson gets......

KTFO

jekdempxy
10-25-2005, 05:03 PM
I think that its gotta be "Buster" Douglas defeating Tyson... All I thought it was going to be was another 1st round KO for Tyson..I think it was when Tyson could do nothing against The Real Deal and bekame upset then bite the ear of!!!He did that bekause he understanded that he didnt had no chance of winning, and remembered that the add whooped is ass.They didnīt kall im The Real Deal for nothin.Heīs a legend.

Dempsey 1919
10-25-2005, 06:49 PM
You are on crack, Jekdempxy. You are the only one who says that piece of garbage of a fight was the biggest upset. Tyson-Douglass is da best bar-none. Might I remind you 42 to 1? 42 to 1? 42 to 1????!!!!!!

legend_killer
10-28-2005, 02:54 AM
Muhammad Ali knocking out George Foreman in Zaire. Foreman was viewed as an unstoppable monster who would finally shut Ali's mouth once and for all. Ali covered up to avoid big George's punches and appeared to have no chance of surviving. Little did we know that he was using the rope-a-dope. George had nothing left and Ali came to life. The rest is history.

Imira
10-28-2005, 09:31 AM
Schmelling v Louis I -- 10 to 1

Braddock v Baer -- 15 to 1

Clay v Liston I -- 7 to 1

Foreman v Frazier I -- 4 to 1

Douglas v Tyson -- 42 to 1

I don't remember the odds for Ali v Foreman. Those are the top upsets with Douglas KO over Tyson being the most shocking.

SnoopySmurf
10-28-2005, 09:37 AM
I'll go with the more humble non-historic fights of late :)

Bobby Pacquiao over Famoso
Maussa over Vivian Harris
Corrie Sanders over Vladimir Klitchko

Dempsey 1919
10-28-2005, 10:27 AM
Schmelling v Louis I -- 10 to 1

Braddock v Baer -- 15 to 1

Clay v Liston I -- 7 to 1

Foreman v Frazier I -- 4 to 1

Douglas v Tyson -- 42 to 1

I don't remember the odds for Ali v Foreman. Those are the top upsets with Douglas KO over Tyson being the most shocking.
the ali-foreman odds were about 3 to 1, although it should have been much higher.

SnoopySmurf
10-28-2005, 03:42 PM
The news of Tyson getting KO'd was all over the streets of Georgetown, Washington DC. I was standing in line to get into a bar (ID check) and a ruckus could be heard out of every bar on the street: "TYSON GOT HIS ASS KNOCKED OUT!"

Luckily, I had the VCR on schedule to record it. :D Me and my friends decided to head home to watch it instead of seeing highlights on TV.

Back then, Tyson KO'd everyone withing 3 rounds that they stopped PPV'ing it.

Pariah21388
10-28-2005, 07:27 PM
tyson douglas