View Full Version : Mike Tyson

haiderpak
08-17-2010, 05:56 AM
What do you like/dislike about him the most?

I like the guy's ferociousness, animalisitic attitude in the game.

bonanno
08-17-2010, 06:18 AM
he could became probily the best boxer of all time.. but his mind isnt strong enough

sonnyboyx2
08-17-2010, 06:34 AM
Mike is everything i like in a Prizefighter - an ATG Legend

Vadrigar.
08-17-2010, 06:35 AM
Tyson is a living legend!

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gWwMZqNqu4A?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gWwMZqNqu4A?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

The_Demon
08-17-2010, 06:45 AM
overrated by some underrated by others,a true legend none the less

Sam Donald
08-17-2010, 06:55 AM
20 years old king of the world

ATG AND HOF

SBleeder
08-17-2010, 08:21 AM
He knows how to show beauty queens who's boss, and he out-pointed the legendary Bonecrusher Smith. If Cus D'amato hadn't died and if Don King hadn't gotten involved with him and if he hadn't married Robin Givens and if Kevin Rooney had stayed with him and if he had trained hard and if he had laid off the Japanese hookers and if he hadn't had such a rough childhood and if there wasn't an ounce of adversity in his life and as long as he wasn't fighting a taller mobile fighter with a good jab and as long as he wasn't "past his prime" at age 22 than he could have beaten anyone. Everyone knows that if Cus D'amato hadn't died in 1985 Mike wouldn't have lost in 1990. Did I mention he needed Kevin Rooney in his corner 'cause he needs him too to be a decent fighter, also he should only fight matches in Catskill, New York that would be best, thanks.

CarlosG815
08-17-2010, 08:37 AM
Mike is everything i like in a Prizefighter - an ATG Legend

I agree 100%.

Mike at his best is the greatest heavyweight of all time.

GymRat
08-17-2010, 08:38 AM
He knows how to show beauty queens who's boss, and he out-pointed the legendary Bonecrusher Smith. If Cus D'amato hadn't died and if Don King hadn't gotten involved with him and if he hadn't married Robin Givens and if Kevin Rooney had stayed with him and if he had trained hard and if he had laid off the Japanese hookers and if he hadn't had such a rough childhood and if there wasn't an ounce of adversity in his life and as long as he wasn't fighting a taller mobile fighter with a good jab and as long as he wasn't "past his prime" at age 22 than he could have beaten anyone. Did I mention he needed Kevin Rooney in his corner 'cause he needs him too to be a decent fighter, also he should only fight matches in Catskill, New York that would be best, thanks.

This guy seems to stroke his veiny erection anytime a conversation about Mike Tyson appears. He doesn't know what he's talking about either, as he rambles out of either jealousy or some kind of fetish that's not yet listed. He has some kind of problem with the fact that circumstances dictated that Mike fell out of his prime officially after the Spinks fight and had been on a steady decline ever since and also believes that Mike Tyson isn't an ATG solely because he lost to Buster Douglas (two years after Mike's prime ended, by the way).

He should not be taken seriously because his only arguments are:
1.) Mike Tyson sucks because he beat everyone he needed to beat in 1986-1988 but didn't have a time machine so he could go prove himself against Joe Louis or Muhammad Ali or Sonny Liston.

2.) He lost against Buster Douglas (two years out of his prime and on Buster's best night), but if Mike had of beaten Buster Douglas, Buster would be "just another bum" on Mike's resume.

3.) I hate Mike Tyson's personal life and continue to draw weird conclusions so therefore Mike Tyson was never a good fighter.

He obviously needs help or at least a mother who loves him or something along those lines. The bottom line is that Mike Tyson was a rising great but fell off the rocket ship officially after the Spinks fight and was falling back down to earth ever since (Buster Douglas was when he hit earth). Mike was at 7/10 of his full potential on the night of the Spinks fight and had it not been for the factors involved and had he continued his prime indefinitely I believe that he would be at least top 10 ATG and top one or two heavyweight ATG.

GJC
08-17-2010, 08:57 AM
He knows how to show beauty queens who's boss, and he out-pointed the legendary Bonecrusher Smith. If Cus D'amato hadn't died and if Don King hadn't gotten involved with him and if he hadn't married Robin Givens and if Kevin Rooney had stayed with him and if he had trained hard and if he had laid off the Japanese hookers and if he hadn't had such a rough childhood and if there wasn't an ounce of adversity in his life and as long as he wasn't fighting a taller mobile fighter with a good jab and as long as he wasn't "past his prime" at age 22 than he could have beaten anyone. Everyone knows that if Cus D'amato hadn't died in 1985 Mike wouldn't have lost in 1990. Did I mention he needed Kevin Rooney in his corner 'cause he needs him too to be a decent fighter, also he should only fight matches in Catskill, New York that would be best, thanks.

I'm not a huge Tyson fan although I did find him an exciting fighter but this is a bit harsh.
He made an awful lot of mistakes which cost him a few years off his peak for sure.
But we all make mistakes and remember he was very young and virtually grew up in the public eye.
I think even forgetting the greed of King and Givens I don't believe that D'Amato and the rest really cared for Tyson other than as a fighter I think if they had helped him develop as a human being as well as a fighter in those formative years he would have coped a lot better

Tyson.
08-17-2010, 10:19 AM
Other than Ali hes the greatest heavyweight of all time and P4P wise hes a top 10 ATG.

Youngest heavyweight champion and destroying all the challengers.

turdleburgle
08-17-2010, 11:31 AM
I dont like him because hes a rapist for one thing and he's the most overrated fighter ever! Im not saying he was trash but he wasn't great by any means.douglas dominated and exposed him when tyson was in his prime,an old evander beat him up and then lewis finished him for good when they were at the same age.

SBleeder
08-17-2010, 01:19 PM
This guy seems to stroke his veiny erection anytime a conversation about Mike Tyson appears. He doesn't know what he's talking about either, as he rambles out of either jealousy or some kind of fetish that's not yet listed. He has some kind of problem with the fact that circumstances dictated that Mike fell out of his prime officially after the Spinks fight and had been on a steady decline ever since and also believes that Mike Tyson isn't an ATG solely because he lost to Buster Douglas (two years after Mike's prime ended, by the way).

Wow, he "officially" fell out of his prime! My apologies; I must have missed the press conference where that was announced.

In fact, come to think of it, I don't remember anyone saying he was "past his prime", or anything close to it, after he knocked out Carl Williams in 93 seconds. It was only after Buster Douglas made Tyson his girlfriend that the excuse-makers flocked to declare Mike's prime as dead prior to the 1990.

He should not be taken seriously because his only arguments are:
1.) Mike Tyson sucks because he beat everyone he needed to beat in 1986-1988 but didn't have a time machine so he could go prove himself against Joe Louis or Muhammad Ali or Sonny Liston.
The only knock anyone has ever had on Rocky Marciano is that he didn't fight anyone great in their primes. The same can be said for Tyson. Meanwhile, he struggled against c-grade fighters like Quick Tillis and Tony Tucker. We don't need a time machine to know that if Tony Tucker could take four rounds from Tyson with a broken hand, any great fighter would have annihilated Tyson.

2.) He lost against Buster Douglas (two years out of his prime and on Buster's best night), but if Mike had of beaten Buster Douglas, Buster would be "just another bum" on Mike's resume.
Sorry, but a prime ends with age, experience, or injuries. Being lazy is being lazy. Again, were you telling people in 1989 that Tyson was past it?

3.) I hate Mike Tyson's personal life and continue to draw weird conclusions so therefore Mike Tyson was never a good fighter.
He was a skilled fighter, but not a great fighter. Great fighters overcome adversity.

He obviously needs help or at least a mother who loves him or something along those lines. The bottom line is that Mike Tyson was a rising great but fell off the rocket ship officially after the Spinks fight and was falling back down to earth ever since (Buster Douglas was when he hit earth). Mike was at 7/10 of his full potential on the night of the Spinks fight and had it not been for the factors involved and had he continued his prime indefinitely I believe that he would be at least top 10 ATG and top one or two heavyweight ATG.

Juvenile personal attacks notwithstanding, hopefully you will learn someday that great athletes possess more than skill:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SportsCentury

One quality possessed by great sportsmen, including great fighters, is an ability to overcome.

Feel free to worship a guy who cracked under the first signs of adversity.

"I'm not fightin' that f____ animal, if you love the m_____ so much, you fight him!'" - Mike Tyson's cowardly rant to Don King regarding George Foreman

SBleeder
08-17-2010, 01:22 PM
I dont like him because hes a rapist for one thing and he's the most overrated fighter ever! Im not saying he was trash but he wasn't great by any means.douglas dominated and exposed him when tyson was in his prime,an old evander beat him up and then lewis finished him for good when they were at the same age.

Ring predicted that Tyson would knock Holyfield out in the first round. Tyson never once won a fight that he wasn't supposed to win, and except for Lewis, all of his losses were in fights that he was supposed to win decisively in.

Toney616
08-17-2010, 02:59 PM
Thats some serious hating there dude.

Toney616
08-17-2010, 03:00 PM
Ring predicted that Tyson would knock Holyfield out in the first round. Tyson never once won a fight that he wasn't supposed to win, and except for Lewis, all of his losses were in fights that he was supposed to win decisively in.
Thats not fair, he was expected to win all of his fights except against Lewis

Toney616
08-17-2010, 03:03 PM
He has some kind of problem with the fact that circumstances dictated that Mike fell out of his prime officially after the Spinks fight
I used to think that, but now I will say that his prime ended with his first stint in prison, so I would say post Ruddock II

Toney616
08-17-2010, 03:07 PM
I dont like him because hes a rapist for one thing

How do you know he did it?

and he's the most overrated fighter ever!
Just because a fighter is overrated doesnt mean they are not a top fighter. It just means they are not as good as people think they are

Im not saying he was trash but he wasn't great by any means.douglas dominated and exposed him when tyson was in his prime,
That version of Dougla would of given any HW a hard time, if Bruno could give Lewis fits, just imagine what Douglas would of done to him. For the record there was talks for a Douglas-Lewis fight during Douglas's comeback.

an old evander beat him up and then lewis finished him for good when they were at the same age.
Is that the same Evander who gave Lewis a close fight during their rematch? Tyson was shot by the time he was dragged to court by Lewis and forced to face him.

Toney616
08-17-2010, 03:09 PM

Dislikes: He never really made any attempt post prison to get his life back on track (during his boxing career), way too self-destructive

SBleeder
08-18-2010, 07:49 AM
Thats some serious hating there dude.
Yeah, it is.
Thats not fair, he was expected to win all of his fights except against Lewis
Fine. Suffice it to say that he lost several times to guys he should have easily beaten.
How do you know he did it?

No one knows anything. But the fact that he was proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt to a jury of twelve is good enough to know with a high degree of certainty that he did it. Nobody questions whether Joey the crackhead is guilty when he's convicted under the same burden as Tyson was convicted.

led
08-18-2010, 08:00 AM
as a boxer, i dont see anything that isnt likeable.

as a person, he is manic-depressive, which is probably one of the biggest reason for his rise and fall.

Ziggy Stardust
08-18-2010, 10:02 AM
I like the fact that he was a throw back fighter that patterned himself on Jack Dempsey. I also like the fact that he's the one fighter who is a keen ananlyst of the sport who also knows and appreciates it's history.

I dislike, and this isn't a knock on Tyson himself really, his cadre of KoolAid drinking nuthuggers that swear he either is or could have been the GOAT. Honestly, only Mayweather and the Klits have more obnoxious, unobjective nuthuggers.

Poet

lucifer-belial
09-10-2010, 07:01 PM
Mike Tyson is well was a very good boxer despite what anyones opinion might be you cant just fake your a star and be the world champ, HOF and the number one contender in your division without having the skills to prove it. People dislike him for his personal life and thats just stupid ask him if he cares?

T.McGrady
09-10-2010, 10:30 PM
He's a legend. He could've been the greatest to ever lace em up, but you know...

Boogie Nights
09-10-2010, 10:43 PM
there's no middle ground for him. He's either trashed without mercy from everything in his life to his ring accomplishments, or he's made out to be God.

He's an ATG, a top 10 heavy imo

BigStereotype
09-10-2010, 11:44 PM
overrated by some underrated by others,a true legend none the less

Perfect post.

VibesMan
09-11-2010, 06:20 AM
A difficult fighter to have a balanced discussion on due to the extremes.

I tend to discount both the haters and the nuthuggers.

IMO a great who at his peak stood a chance against any heavy in history. I'd personally always pick Ali, George and possibly a prime Holmes to beat him more often than not.

What interests me is the various arguments about what constituted his prime.

I don't judge his prime simply by age or by when he stopped winning fights. For me his prime was simply when he did the things that made him so effective (head movement, combinations, fast feet). His prime ended when, for whatever reason, he stopped doing those things.

Prime Tyson pretty much ended with the Spinks win.

Ziggy Stardust
09-11-2010, 09:28 AM
A difficult fighter to have a balanced discussion due to the extremes.

I tend to discount both the haters and the nuthuggers.

IMO a great who at his peak stood a chance against any heavy in history. I'd personally always pick Ali, George and possibly a prime Holmes to beat him more often than not.

What interests me is the various arguments about what constituted his prime.

I don't judge his prime simply by age or by when he stopped winning fights. For me his prime was simply when he did the things that made him so effective (head movement, combinations, fast feet). His prime ended when, for whatever reason, he stopped doing those things.

Prime Tyson pretty much ended with the Spinks win.

I use the same standard for every fighter: Prime starts when a fighter has his reflexes AND the experience to make full use of it. Prime ends when the fighter's reflexes start to slip. By that standard I'd put Tyson's prime as being through the Ruddock fights: After he came back from prison it was pretty clear he no longer had the reflexes he once did.

Poet

VibesMan
09-11-2010, 09:37 AM
I use the same standard for every fighter: Prime starts when a fighter has his reflexes AND the experience to make full use of it. Prime ends when the fighter's reflexes start to slip. By that standard I'd put Tyson's prime as being through the Ruddock fights: After he came back from prison it was pretty clear he no longer had the reflexes he once did.

Poet

Sorry, you saying he was still prime in the Ruddock fights or through by the time he got to Ruddock?

If it's "prime when he fought Ruddock" I think I'd disagree. I think he won those fights on sheer power and chin alone. For me it's up there with his most creditable wins as he actually overcame some adversity in these fights.

Still a good fighter but IMO the decline was already evident.

Post prison, Bruno apart, was pretty bad. I remember cringing during the Mathis fight. It's post prison he really started squaring himself up and started arm punching as the rot set in after the Holyfield fights.

Ziggy Stardust
09-11-2010, 10:05 AM
Sorry, you saying he was still prime in the Ruddock fights or through by the time he got to Ruddock?

If it's "prime when he fought Ruddock" I think I'd disagree. I think he won those fights on sheer power and chin alone. For me it's up there with his most creditable wins as he actually overcame some adversity in these fights.

Still a good fighter but IMO the decline was already evident.

Post prison, Bruno apart, was pretty bad. I remember cringing during the Mathis fight. It's post prison he really started squaring himself up and started arm punching as the rot set in after the Holyfield fights.

I would say he was still prime for the Ruddock fights. I would consider them two of his finest performances.

I use a pretty objective standard for prime I think, as reflexes are the key for any fighter really. If you limit a fighter's prime to just his most spectacular performances you wind up with the absurdity of saying certain fighters were "prime" for only a very small handfull of fights.

Poet

Toney616
09-12-2010, 12:59 PM
as a boxer, i dont see anything that isnt likeable.

as a person, he is manic-depressive, which is probably one of the biggest reason for his rise and fall.
He had another psy evaluation a while back, which ruled that out. Cayton had him take one as well after the whole tv thing with Givens and that was also negative as well
source:
Sports Century:Mike Tyson
Fallen Champ:Mike Tyson