View Full Version : Who's the Best Lightweight of All Time?

haiderpak
08-17-2010, 06:34 AM
Roberto Duran or Benny Leonard?

BattlingNelson
08-17-2010, 06:41 AM
One of those 2 or Joe Gans.

Left2body
08-17-2010, 06:44 AM
Lightweight is one of the hardest divisions to do this with since it has such a long and great history with lots of great champions but I would say Duran.

I'm trying to find the ESPN Friday Night Fights Video where Pernell Whittaker is a guest and he gives his opinion a few guys including Duran and PBF.

talip bin osman
08-17-2010, 06:48 AM
my personal choice is duran...

and i would not mind if u say its benny leonard or even joe gans for that matter...

The_Demon
08-17-2010, 06:57 AM
Duran for me,but its very close

BattlingNelson
08-17-2010, 07:15 AM
Coxscorner writes this interesting excerpt on Gans' fight with Sam Langford:

Consider Gans fight with the great Sam Langford on Dec. 8, 1903. Langford was the most avoided fighter in boxing history. Sam was the larger of the two, a natural welterweight at the time. This fight was fought in Boston the day after Gans had fought a no decision bout with black welterweight Dave Holly in Philadelphia (Gans won the newspaper decision). This means that Gans had to travel by train up the eastern seaboard from Philly to Boston for a fight the very next day. Gans admitted that fighting two days in a row and making the trip had sapped his stamina. Nevertheless, Gans dominated early in the fight before fading from lag in the later rounds and losing a close decision. Fleischer penned, (1938, 164-165; 1939, 130), ***8220;Gans opened up the first round with a triple left hook. As Sam drew back after the third blow, Gans quick as a flash, sprang forward and landed a terrific right to the jaw, and from that point until the fifth round, Langford seemed scared stiff and did his utmost to avoid infighting.***8221;

Full article on Gans:

http://coxscorner.tripod.com/gans.html

Left2body
08-17-2010, 08:28 AM
Hey Nelson I don't really know much about Langford but I find it hard to believe that anyone was more avoided than Archie Moore.

TBear
08-17-2010, 08:46 AM
Manos de piedra!

Magnifico!
08-17-2010, 08:48 AM
Duran and Gans are a million times better than joke Benny

Magnifico!
08-17-2010, 08:48 AM
The best were afraid to fight Gans. FACT

GJC
08-17-2010, 09:52 AM
my personal choice is duran...

and i would not mind if u say its benny leonard or even joe gans for that matter...

I'd agree with this, I'd probably go with:

1) Duran
2) Leonard
3) Gans

but I wouldn't put up a huge fight if someone put a good case for another order of the 3

BattlingNelson
08-17-2010, 10:22 AM
Hey Nelson I don't really know much about Langford but I find it hard to believe that anyone was more avoided than Archie Moore.
Well Langford never got the titleshot. He was clearly avoided by Jack Johnson and others. Nevertheless he is widely considered as a top 10 HW all-time which says a lot.

It's not like I'm an expert on Langford. Far from it. A lot of guys on this forum can tell you much more I'm sure.

Barn
08-20-2010, 05:02 PM
As mentioned before any of them or Joe Gans.

Megamasterking
08-20-2010, 09:23 PM

I would say Duran... unbelievable power and the way he was coming forward to destroy... :hail:

blaze778
08-20-2010, 09:32 PM
I vote for Duran. He is a personal all-time favorite, but he really was very accomplished at Lightweight. Beating Leonard and fighting for another 20 years was just icing on the cake.

BigStereotype
08-21-2010, 07:32 PM
Almost without question Duran.

BennyST
08-22-2010, 06:42 AM
Definitely Manny Pacquiao. Duran lost to Robbie Sims and I haven't heard of the other guy so he mustn't be any good.

Willy Wanker
08-22-2010, 06:48 AM
Definitely Manny Pacquiao. Duran lost to Robbie Sims and I haven't heard of the other guy so he mustn't be any good.

i say pay and floyd are tied for number one.

#1Assassin
08-22-2010, 07:19 AM

your being sarcastic right?

duran lost to robbie simms at 154 or 160 when he was past his prime, doesnt take away from his legacy as a lightweight. he only lost once at 135 to esteban de jesus and avenged it by knockout.

pacquiao only has one fight at 135 and against the very average david diaz, who at best was #3 in the division at the time. campbell and casamayor were the top dogs and manny ducked them both to take on a no risk oponent in diaz. i dont think that qualifies him as a candidate for greatest lightweight ever.

for me its:

1. roberto duran

2. joe gans
3. benny leonard

4. pernell whitaker
5. carlos ortiz

BennyST
08-22-2010, 07:26 AM
i say pay and floyd are tied for number one.

Floyd Mayweather lost to Castillo. Pac won by brutal KO.

duran lost to robbie simms at 154 or 160 when he was past his prime, doesnt take away from his legacy as a lightweight. he only lost once at 135 to esteban de jesus and avenged it by knockout.

pacquiao only has one fight at 135 and against the very average david diaz, who at best was #3 in the division at the time. campbell and casamayor were the top dogs and manny ducked them both to take on a no risk oponent in diaz. i dont think that qualifies him as a candidate for greatest lightweight ever.

for me its:

1. roberto duran

2. joe gans
3. benny leonard

4. pernell whitaker
5. carlos ortiz

Yeah....so? What you're saying is that Duran lost and Manny won by KO? Pacquiao beats Duran and is the better lightweight.

#1Assassin
08-22-2010, 07:42 AM
Yeah....so? What you're saying is that Duran lost and Manny won by KO? Pacquiao beats Duran and is the better lightweight.

so going 1-0 against easy oposition while ducking the best is more impressive than going 71-1 against all the best in the world, with that one loss being avenged by knockout?

pacs resume at 135 is weaker than weak, he only had one fight ffs and avoided the two best fighters in the division to make trhat fight. duran dominated lightweight for years, beat the champ then took on all comers only losing once and avenging it.

duran is the much better lightweight (obviously) and would imo knock pacquiao out pretty easily if they fought.

Vadrigar.
08-22-2010, 07:42 AM
Probably Duran with his 7 year reign (I think) at lightweight. But I don't know about Leonard, unless anyone wants to inform me. :)

BennyST
08-22-2010, 07:51 AM
so going 1-0 against easy oposition while ducking the best is more impressive than going 71-1 against all the best in the world, with that one loss being avenged by knockout?

pacs resume at 135 is weaker than weak, he only had one fight ffs and avoided the two best fighters in the division to make trhat fight. duran dominated lightweight for years, beat the champ then took on all comers only losing once and avenging it.

duran is the much better lightweight (obviously) and would imo knock pacquiao out pretty easily if they fought.

Pacquiao knocked out Diaz who has a better chin than Duran and has the same style but is stronger and probably faster too. He had just beaten Erik Morales who was much better technically than Duran too.

He knocked out Cotto who punched harder than Duran and Cotto boxed better than him too.

Pac never quit and fighting 70 times is easy if you just beating taxi driving bums.

wmute
08-22-2010, 07:55 AM

for me its:

1. roberto duran

2. joe gans
3. benny leonard

4. pernell whitaker
5. carlos ortiz

Where do you rank Ike Williams?

#1Assassin
08-22-2010, 08:01 AM
Pacquiao knocked out Diaz who has a better chin than Duran and has the same style but is stronger and probably faster too. He had just beaten Erik Morales who was much better technically than Duran too.

He knocked out Cotto who punched harder than Duran and Cotto boxed better than him too.

Pac never quit and fighting 70 times is easy if you just beating taxi driving bums.

he didnt knock out cotto at lightweight dumbass. and he didnt really knock cotto out at all really, he knocked out the shell of miguel cotto. but thats another subject, it wasnt at 135 so its irrelevant to this discussion anyways.

the greatest lightweight is decided on what they did at.. guess what? LIGHTWEIGHT! pacquiao hasnt done jack **** at lightweight. diaz was #3 in the division at the time, so pacquiao has never even been the best lightweight in the world at any given point in time, much less the best lightweight of all times. diaz beat a washed up erik morales who was coming of 3 straight losses and who hasnt beat a world class fighter since.

duran was superior to david diaz in every way, im not gonna waste my time even explaining how or why. u are clearly either trolling or retarded, and i mean literally retarded sitting at the computer wearing floatation cushions and a football helmet.

Vadrigar.
08-22-2010, 08:15 AM
he didnt knock out cotto at lightweight dumbass. and he didnt really knock cotto out at all really, he knocked out the shell of miguel cotto. but thats another subject, it wasnt at 135 so its irrelevant to this discussion anyways.

the greatest lightweight is decided on what they did at.. guess what? LIGHTWEIGHT! pacquiao hasnt done jack **** at lightweight. diaz was #3 in the division at the time, so pacquiao has never even been the best lightweight in the world at any given point in time, much less the best lightweight of all times. diaz beat a washed up erik morales who was coming of 3 straight losses and who hasnt beat a world class fighter since.

duran was superior to david diaz in every way, im not gonna waste my time even explaining how or why. u are clearly either trolling or retarded, and i mean literally retarded sitting at the computer wearing floatation cushions and a football helmet.

he's being sarcastic :lol1: ;)

I think he fooled you.

#1Assassin
08-22-2010, 08:22 AM

I think he fooled you.

until i read diaz was better than duran he had me fooled :rofl:

BennyST
08-22-2010, 09:28 AM

I think he fooled you.

Mate, what's with the stupid message you left on my page?

"Don't imitate trolls"?

Gee thanks. I'll remember that next time.

wmute
08-22-2010, 11:19 AM
Probably Duran with his 7 year reign (I think) at lightweight. But I don't know about Leonard, unless anyone wants to inform me. :)

More storytelling:

http://www.thesweetscience.com/boxing-article/7572/eighth-god-war-benny-leonard/

More informative

http://coxscorner.tripod.com/bleonard.html

Vadrigar.
08-22-2010, 12:14 PM
Mate, what's with the stupid message you left on my page?

"Don't imitate trolls"?

Gee thanks. I'll remember that next time.

I don't know, there's nothing wrong with it. :)

jrosales13
08-22-2010, 01:03 PM
I have Duran at #1, with
Leonard at #2,
Gans #3,
Williams #4,
and Whitaker #5.

Killer Angel
08-23-2010, 10:25 AM
Hands down,the Hands Of Stone,Roberto Duran.