View Full Version : Name Every Boxing Book You've Read

MeccaOfBoxing
08-16-2010, 02:05 PM
NOT YOUR JUST YOU FAVIOURITES, name all the boxing books you have every read!

prinzemanspopa
08-16-2010, 02:33 PM
The only boxing related book that I've ever read was Nigel Benn's autobiography.I saw it at the library one day and took it home for a couple of nights.Surprisingly,I found it a good read.His father came across as a litte somewhat cruel,although I'd imagine it must have been tough raising a large family on limited resources,in a fairly rough area, where the life of a petty criminal is tempting for a young lad.The most fascinating part is where he goes into detail on his brothers death.

That's most likely the only boxing book that I will ever read.

MeccaOfBoxing
08-16-2010, 02:48 PM
The only boxing related book that I've ever read was Nigel Benn's autobiography.I saw it at the library one day and took it home for a couple of nights.Surprisingly,I found it a good read.His father came across as a litte somewhat cruel,although I'd imagine it must have been tough raising a large family on limited resources,in a fairly rough area, where the life of a petty criminal is tempting for a young lad.The most fascinating part is where he goes into detail on his brothers death.

That's most likely the only boxing book that I will ever read.

Why? If you enjoyed the one that you did read? There are some real great ones out there.....

GymRat
08-16-2010, 11:15 PM
I own and have read all of my boxing books which literally total at least 60 or so, which includes the Nigel Benn autobiography. I have about six entire boxes full of books and two of the boxes are of books related to boxing somehow or another. I'd post some names but A.) I'm not home right now and B.) There are far too many titles. I think I even have more in storage so if I left those out it would depress me. I'll probably list some later when I get home.

MeccaOfBoxing
08-16-2010, 11:18 PM
I own and have read all of my boxing books which literally total at least 60 or so, which includes the Nigel Benn autobiography. I have about six entire boxes full of books and two of the boxes are of books related to boxing somehow or another. I'd post some names but A.) I'm not home right now and B.) There are far too many titles. I think I even have more in storage so if I left those out it would depress me. I'll probably list some later when I get home.

get namin lol

JAB5239
08-16-2010, 11:53 PM
Unforgivable Blackness
Joe Louis by Art Rust
Muhammad Ali by Thomas Hauser
Hands of Stone
Irish Thunder the Micky Ward story
Barney Ross by Douglas Century
Charley Burley and the black murderers row
Don King: his life and crimes
Raging Bull
Larry Holmes: against the odds

There might be one or two more but I can't remember at the moment.

NChristo
08-17-2010, 11:11 AM
Unforgiveable Blackness

The Fearless Harry Greb: Biography of a Tragic Hero of Boxing

Joe Gans: A Biography of the First African American World Boxing Champion

Sparring with Hemingway: And Other Legends of the Fight Game

Charley Burley and the Black Murderers Row

Becoming Holyfield: A Fighter's Journey

The Onion Picker: Carmen Basilio and Boxing in the 1950s

Four Kings: Hagler, Hearns, Leonard and Duran

Championship Fighting by Jack Dempsey

Read some more but these are the ones on the shelf, been meaning to get the Barney Ross book but haven't got around to it.

GJC
08-17-2010, 11:50 AM
Pretty much impossible to list every boxing book i've read as it numbers a fair few, in fact at Christmas and birthdays its generally boxing books or socks!

Will list a fair notable ones that I would highly recommend:

Men of Steel: by Peter Walsh
In This Corner . by Peter Heller
That Night in the Garden by Jim McNeill
They Could'Ve Been Contenders by Jim McNeill
Lightning Strikes Gerald Suster
Four Kings: Leonard, Hagler, Hearns and Duran and the Last Great Era of Boxing
HANDS OF STONE: The Life and Legend of Roberto Duran
Ringside: A Treasury of Boxing Reportage Budd Schulberg
McIlvanney on Boxing

JAB5239
08-17-2010, 04:49 PM
Unforgiveable Blackness

The Fearless Harry Greb: Biography of a Tragic Hero of Boxing

Joe Gans: A Biography of the First African American World Boxing Champion

Sparring with Hemingway: And Other Legends of the Fight Game

Charley Burley and the Black Murderers Row

The Onion Picker: Carmen Basilio and Boxing in the 1950s

Four Kings: Hagler, Hearns, Leonard and Duran

Championship Fighting by Jack Dempsey

Read some more but these are the ones on the shelf, been meaning to get the Barney Ross book but haven't got around to it.

How were the books I put in bold? I've been meaning to get both the Greb book and Basilio book for awhile, but like yourself I haven't got around to it. If you give it a good review I may just get the Gans book first as he is another fighter Im extremely interested in.

mrboxer
08-17-2010, 04:57 PM
i have read quit a few and the stories of some of these boxers is very interesting,i think more boxers and authors should put a book out there,:boxing:

Reem
08-17-2010, 05:01 PM
Hi,

I read just "From the streets to the ring: a son's struggle to become a man" from Teddy Atlas and Peter Alson. It is the biography of Teddy Atlas. It is really a great read- I can recommend it to you. As next I will read "Bad Intentions" by Heller about Mike Tyson. Hope it is good.

Peace,

Reem

JAB5239
08-17-2010, 05:17 PM
Hi,

I read just "From the streets to the ring: a son's struggle to become a man" from Teddy Atlas and Peter Alson. It is the biography of Teddy Atlas. It is really a great read- I can recommend it to you. As next I will read "Bad Intentions" by Heller about Mike Tyson. Hope it is good.

Peace,

Reem

I've heard from a few people that the Atlas book was a good read. Thats another one I need to put in my shopping cart.

HaglerSteelChin
08-17-2010, 07:47 PM
If anyone read "Tunney" by Jack Cavanaugh let me know if it is a good read?

As a side note, i am curious if anyone read "When Boxing was A Jewish Sport" by Allen Bodner? That was written by my ex boss who is a Real Estate lawyer and his dad was a former boxer.

southerndandy
08-17-2010, 08:43 PM

If you don't mind me asking, I've only started following boxing intently for a year and am practically a novice, and I saw this book recently and was wondering how good this book is as I want to read about a familiar face before I get into the legends of the sport.

BigStereotype
08-18-2010, 01:18 AM
Anyone have any books about the techinical aspects of the sport itself? I mean, I can get through biographies, but I'm way more interested in the actual techniques and skills in boxing than I am about stories I can read anywhere...

JAB5239
08-18-2010, 02:51 AM
Anyone have any books about the techinical aspects of the sport itself? I mean, I can get through biographies, but I'm way more interested in the actual techniques and skills in boxing than I am about stories I can read anywhere...

You're better off going to a gym to learn technique and skill. Books for that are fine, but without someone to tell you what you're doing right and wrong you can never fully understand it. Just my opinion.

MeccaOfBoxing
08-18-2010, 06:23 PM
bump.............................................. ....

GJC
08-18-2010, 06:50 PM
You're better off going to a gym to learn technique and skill. Books for that are fine, but without someone to tell you what you're doing right and wrong you can never fully understand it. Just my opinion.

Plus I always found that you over rely on your jab if your holding a book :)

BigStereotype
08-18-2010, 10:35 PM

Oh no doubt. I've gone to a gym, but my knees are bad and I just can't keep up with the workout. But I wasn't talking about an instructional book, more just a discussion of techniques and tactics and the like.

Toney616
08-19-2010, 04:34 PM
The four kings
Hands of stone
Teddy atlas's autobiography
The dark trade
War baby
Ghosts of Manilla
Sucker punch
Tyson:nuture of the beast
The last great fight
Bruno
Benns autobography
Eubanks autobiography
Calzaghes autobiography
Lennox Lewis's biography
Ali:his life and times

NChristo
08-19-2010, 05:25 PM
Oh no doubt. I've gone to a gym, but my knees are bad and I just can't keep up with the workout. But I wasn't talking about an instructional book, more just a discussion of techniques and tactics and the like.

Championship Fighting by Jack Dempsey is pretty damn good, tells you about different techniques and stances, what are their advantages / disadvantages and Dempsey's own personal opinion on them.
Wouldn't normally say this but the book is damn hard to find and expensive but their are PDF's that you can download of it on Piratebay and other websites.

A book I forgot to mention is The Devil and Sonny Liston, quite good read.

musiol
08-19-2010, 05:30 PM
becoming holyfield only book i have ever read

I_Am_Legend
08-20-2010, 08:47 PM
Atlas from the streets to the ring
Becoming Holyfield

Toney616
08-21-2010, 06:37 AM

http://www.scribd.com/doc/247258/Championship-Fighting-by-Jack-Dempsey-1950

JAB5239
08-25-2010, 01:05 AM
Unforgivable Blackness
Joe Louis by Art Rust
Muhammad Ali by Thomas Hauser
Hands of Stone
Irish Thunder the Micky Ward story
Barney Ross by Douglas Century
Charley Burley and the black murderers row
Don King: his life and crimes
Raging Bull
Larry Holmes: against the odds

There might be one or two more but I can't remember at the moment.

I just added Sam Langford by Clay Moyle, Joe Gans and the fearless Harry Greb. Can't wait to read these goldmines!

JAB5239
09-04-2010, 12:41 AM
Im about 75 pages into Clay Moyles biography on Sam Langford and it is EXCELLENT so far. I those few short pages I've learned much more about the nature of boxings decisions back than, Langfords fights with Gans and Walcott, and how he came to start fighting to begin with.

T.Horton
09-05-2010, 05:18 AM
I have read, and have literally, hundreds of books on boxing and boxers.

Literally.

TintaBoricua
09-05-2010, 10:25 PM
Wow You guys are something else. I just got through reading Ali's book by Hauser (His Life and Times). Finished it today and started on monday. Terrific book. I highly recommend it.

I'm going to start reading Don King: His Life and Crimes by Jack Newfield.

I'm also thinking about buying:

Sorcery at Caesar's (Leonard/Hagler)
Four Kings

GJC
09-05-2010, 10:30 PM

Four Kings

You'll enjoy both of those.
I posted a few books earlier in this thread try and catch those if you can.

GJC
09-05-2010, 10:31 PM
I just added Sam Langford by Clay Moyle, Joe Gans and the fearless Harry Greb. Can't wait to read these goldmines!

Had the Greb book but lent it to someone and never got it back. Fearfully expensive now whenever i've looked at it.

$BloodyNate$
09-06-2010, 04:13 AM
Sugar Ray is by far my favorite./\

JAB5239
09-06-2010, 06:26 PM
Wow You guys are something else. I just got through reading Ali's book by Hauser (His Life and Times). Finished it today and started on monday. Terrific book. I highly recommend it.

I'm going to start reading Don King: His Life and Crimes by Jack Newfield.

Four Kings

The Don King book is an eye opener, you'll enjoy it.

JAB5239
09-06-2010, 06:34 PM
Had the Greb book but lent it to someone and never got it back. Fearfully expensive now whenever i've looked at it.

I spent about $100 on the 3 books (Greb, Langford and Gans) I ordered last week (got the Langford one already). And while I wouldn't say thats petty cash to me its nothing I wouldn't even think about dropping for a night out to eat and drink. Its much nicer though when you can go to amazon.com and find a good book for under $5 though.

chrismart83
09-06-2010, 06:37 PM
Ones i have read :

Raging Bull
The Four Kings
Calzaghe's book
De La Hoya's book
Nigel Benns's book
Michael Watson's book
Frank Bruno's book
Holyfield's book

Hands of Stone, Teddy Atlas's book and a good Mike Tyson book are next on my 'to read' list i think.

TintaBoricua
09-17-2010, 04:09 PM

I hate it when people do that (borrow something and don't bring it back).