View Full Version : Heavyweight champions and contenders of the 80s

sonnyboyx2
08-16-2010, 06:31 AM
What is your opinion on how good these fighters was, how would they have faired in the last decade:

Larry Holmes
John Tate
Tony Tucker
Gerrie Coetzee
Tony Tubbs
Greg Page
Pinklon Thomas
Trevor Berbick
Mike Weaver
Tim Witherspoon
Bonecrusher Smith
Frank Bruno

Sugarj
08-16-2010, 08:03 AM
Many of these guys (at their best) could beat a Klitschko.

The problem is that so many were consistently inconsistent. You could never tell which guy would show up.

Obviously in the first half of the 80s Holmes was dependable. He is certainly the best of the bunch, but the others all showed nights when they were impressive............even Berbick, Tate and Coetzee.

Many of these guys could have dominated the last decade with more dedication. Tubbs, Thomas, Witherspoon and Bonecrusher were excellent boxers. But it was the cracky/cokey 80s......you couldn't rely on anyone other than Holmes or Tyson to turn up and do the business consistently in that decade.

Weaver had underated speed, Bruno had great power, Tate (dimensions). All potentially good heavyweights. If you threw them into the last decade they would score some amazing wins between them I'm sure. But I dont doubt they'd suffer some shock defeats too.......

joe strong
08-16-2010, 08:10 AM
Many of these guys (at their best) could beat a Klitschko.

The problem is that so many were consistently inconsistent. You could never tell which guy would show up.

Obviously in the first half of the 80s Holmes was dependable. He is certainly the best of the bunch, but the others all showed nights when they were impressive............even Berbick, Tate and Coetzee.

Many of these guys could have dominated the last decade with more dedication. Tubbs, Thomas, Witherspoon and Bonecrusher were excellent boxers. But it was the cracky/cokey 80s......you couldn't rely on anyone other than Holmes or Tyson to turn up and do the business consistently in that decade.

Weaver had underated speed, Bruno had great power, Tate (dimensions). All potentially good heavyweights. If you threw them into the last decade they would score some amazing wins between them I'm sure. But I dont doubt they'd suffer some shock defeats too.......holmes & witherspoon would have success in any era because they had a good jab.holmes had a great jab.bruno was decent but lost when he fought the elite like tim,lennox & tyson.bonecrusher pulled off a couple nice upsets too.even tucker & buster douglas were not that bad.douglas actually was a pretty good fighter until the diabetic coma he suffered following the holyfield fight.

Sugarj
08-16-2010, 09:09 AM
I agree Joe, Holmes makes my top five. I think prime Holmes beats either Klitschko.

I rated Tucker too, terrific amateur record, unbeaten going into the Tyson fight.........and didn't do badly there either. Tucker was good.