View Full Version : How was Duran...

klipsch speaker
08-13-2010, 01:33 AM
a fat, 37 year old albeit undersized middleweight able to bring down large Iran Barkley in ten rounds
whereas....
a notorious large and heavy hitter Thomas Hearns cant seem to do it in 2 fights??????

Megamasterking
08-13-2010, 01:53 AM
a fat, 37 year old albeit undersized middleweight able to bring down large Iran Barkley in ten rounds
whereas....
a notorious large and heavy hitter Thomas Hearns cant seem to do it in 2 fights??????

Duran is there with the best ATG, Leonard said about him: Every punch to the head or the body felt like bricks !

Steak
08-13-2010, 01:53 AM
whereas....
a notorious large and heavy hitter Thomas Hearns cant seem to do it in 2 fights??????trust me, Hearns was well on his way to finishing off Barkley in the first fight. nasty body shots. its just that Barkley knocked him out before Hearns could finish his work. Hearns was faded in the 2nd fight, and Barkley pretty much swarmed him. also, Barkley's counter left hook probably scared Hearns, it did end up dropping him. and it was just a really good performance by Duran, plain and simple.

I find it just as amazing that Duran was able to beat a top 5 middleweight 10 years later.

turdleburgle
08-13-2010, 02:06 AM
duran was just an animal alot like ricky hatton in his prime: skilled and aggressive.

JAB5239
08-13-2010, 02:56 AM
duran was just an animal alot like ricky hatton in his prime: skilled and aggressive.

I've been a Hatton fan for awhile, but his skill and aggression don't hold a candle to Duran.

sonnyboyx2
08-13-2010, 03:45 AM
Originally Posted by LionheartLewis View Post

says everything about this clowns boxing knowledge which is why i have put him on ignore

prinzemanspopa
08-13-2010, 04:25 AM
He got caught,it happens.It's worth noting that barkley never showed Duran the type of respect that he did against Hearns.As already noted,barkley swarmed Hearns and never gave him a chance.Throughout their rematch,he smothered Hearns and his power,and while he took some vicious body shots.....he was able to avoid the big bombs.

It's also worth noting that the barkley-Duran fight was a highly controversial decision,many regarding it as a complete gift for Duran.People simply couldn't believe that Duran was competitive with barkley and this led the two judges to be swayed by Duran's effort and his supporters in the crowd into giving Duran rounds that he wasn't necessarily winning.

Most of Duran's biggest wins and controversy go hand in hand,though.fortunately for barkley,he didn't get a shot in the nuts or a poke in the eye.

mrboxer
08-13-2010, 11:06 AM
whereas....
a notorious large and heavy hitter Thomas Hearns cant seem to do it in 2 fights??????with pure luck and with the help of the referee,duran was clutching and grabbing throughout and the ref was slow to break it up,duran did catch iran with a good combo to send the exhausted barkley to the canvas for a count of i think it was 2 or 3 seconds more like a flash knockdown,duran won the fight via a close decision but i saw this fight many times over and i must say i dont know what fight the judges were watching i had barkley winning every round,except for the flash knockdown round i had that round a draw:boxing:

Vadrigar.
08-13-2010, 11:15 AM

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb243/xtn702/gif2.gif

turdleburgle
08-13-2010, 11:22 AM
I've been a Hatton fan for awhile, but his skill and aggression don't hold a candle to Duran.

how is duran anymore skilled than hatton? not saying hatton should be remembered as the greater fighter but what did he do that was so much better than prime hatton did?

id says theyre equal when it comes to speed,aggression and workrate.hatton is the stronger of the two.

turdleburgle
08-13-2010, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by LionheartLewis View Post

says everything about this clowns boxing knowledge which is why i have put him on ignore

your a hater and calling other people clowns? your the clown who says hes british and yet seems to hate every single british fighter that gets mentioned

putting me on ignore shows what a coward you are mate

mrboxer
08-13-2010, 11:41 AM
how is duran anymore skilled than hatton? not saying hatton should be remembered as the greater fighter but what did he do that was so much better than prime hatton did?

id says theyre equal when it comes to speed,aggression and workrate.hatton is the stronger of the two.i dont think duran is the boxer with atg status that a lot of fans claim him to be,duran was a good boxer and fought many of the best,although he did fall short in the victory department when he fought against the top fighters,and i also think that comparing him to hatton is like comparing apples and oranges,hatton is not even close to being a atg he is very much overrated that has really achieved nothing when it came to the big fights,i have watched him fight i have looked over his record and i see nothing he is an average fighter:boxing:

NChristo
08-13-2010, 01:08 PM

id says theyre equal when it comes to speed,aggression and workrate.hatton is the stronger of the two.

You should really watch more Duran before making silly comparisons.

Duran is much much better technically, has a better offence, better inside and outside, much better defence and ring smarts.

Really it's like comparing night and day, the only thing that is similar between them is that they both have a come forward style.

BennyST
08-13-2010, 01:18 PM
i dont think duran is the boxer with atg status that a lot of fans claim him to be,duran was a good boxer and fought many of the best,although he did fall short in the victory department when he fought against the top fighters,and i also think that comparing him to hatton is like comparing apples and oranges,hatton is not even close to being a atg he is very much overrated that has really achieved nothing when it came to the big fights,i have watched him fight i have looked over his record and i see nothing he is an average fighter:boxing:

So, having a record of 110-15 or whatever it is with all but two of those 15 losses coming after the age of thirty and at 154 or higher when he started at 118 and was his best at 135 is falling short in the victory department?

You know what? I have to agree. He really did suck and it just shows how bad he was. Couldn't even beat the the top ATG 154 and 160 pounders in their primes when he was old and fat! What a fat bastard crappy fighter he was.

You'd think with the years of experience gained in his 80 or so fights and 16 years as a pro up to when he started fighting at 154 and above that he would still be able to beat all the top guys that were bigger, younger and in their primes. It's just laughable to consider him a top fighter. He's just conned his way to the top. He never won any big fight or achieved anything of significance.

Forza
08-13-2010, 02:16 PM
They don't call him " Manos de piedra " for nothing. You're a fool if you don't think duran is an ATG.

BigStereotype
08-13-2010, 09:00 PM

:nonono:

Come on, dude. Keep it realistic.

Killer Angel
08-14-2010, 11:46 AM

No comparison.

Panthershock
08-14-2010, 12:03 PM

I'd say spend some time on Youtube. Duran Leonard 1 is a good start.
Duran is superior to Hatton in every conceivable category.
Duran past his prime held his own 25-30 lbs over his best weight class, Hatton couldnt do that 7lbs above his best, Hatton is not stronger.