View Full Version : Anyone else agree that Roy Jones always had a glass chin?

turdleburgle
08-12-2010, 11:06 AM
People make out as if he only had a weak chin when he come down from heavyweight and when he was old but look at how reacted when Del Valle knocked him down.He was clearly hurt from what looked like an average punch.

he never had a strong chin he just didnt get hit alot

Vadrigar.
08-12-2010, 11:10 AM
Jones' chin was fine. Look for glass elsewhere.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1IRwQADvvcY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1IRwQADvvcY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

mrboxer
08-12-2010, 11:14 AM
i dont think he had a glass jaw,he was put to sleep only a couple of times through his long illustrious career,:boxing:

CarlosG815
08-12-2010, 11:53 AM
Jones had a good chin, the glass chin thing started after he was past it and could no longer pull the trigger or take a punch.

I'm not saying it was granite, but he fought a lot of rounds in his career and never lost in his prime.

Sugarj
08-12-2010, 11:57 AM
The DeValle, knockdown wasn't particularly heavy, Roy was straight up. He wasn't staggering around all jelly legged, he clinched a bit and then won every subsequent round!

I never saw any evidence that pre Tarver Roy had a bad chin at all. He took some really good whacks from Griffin in fact!

mrboxer
08-12-2010, 11:59 AM
remember a good fighter knows how to protect his chin,roy was good in rolling with the punch but as he grew older and saw his skills starting to diminish he took chances and instead of rolling with the punch he would lunge straight forward,with his chin pointing outwards,this is what got him needing smelling salts for some of those fights were he got walloped,:boxing:

T.McGrady
08-12-2010, 07:28 PM
People make out as if he only had a weak chin when he come down from heavyweight and when he was old but look at how reacted when Del Valle knocked him down.He was clearly hurt from what looked like an average punch.

You're wrong. He wasn't hurt that badly, it was a flash KD. Plus, Del Valle did caught him with the same punch several times after the KD, but it didn't even rocked him. So...

T.McGrady
08-12-2010, 07:30 PM
I think he has a good chin.

bojangles1987
08-12-2010, 08:07 PM
Roy took plenty of hard punches in his career. Once he moved to heavyweight and back down it sapped his body of a lot of its strength. There are plenty of YouTube videos to show the hard punches Jones took in his pre-Tarver career.

turdleburgle
08-12-2010, 11:42 PM
Anyone can put a highlight clip together like that.Jones was all over the place when Del Valle knocked him down.the right hand that johnson knocked jones out cold was weak too.

JAB5239
08-13-2010, 01:53 AM
Anyone can put a highlight clip together like that.Jones was all over the place when Del Valle knocked him down.the right hand that johnson knocked jones out cold was weak too.

Its easy to call any punch weak unless you've actually been hit with it. Jones was hit plenty of times in his career and the lights were never turned out until he was clearly past it.

turdleburgle
08-13-2010, 05:00 AM
Its easy to call any punch weak unless you've actually been hit with it. Jones was hit plenty of times in his career and the lights were never turned out until he was clearly past it.

thats a stupid argument and you know it is,I gues I need to take a punch from paulie malignaggi to know that he's a feather fist? lol he wasnt clearly past it when johnson and tarver starched him either.danny green barely grazed him and he went over like a he got shot lol.granted he was past it then but the way he went down was hilarious.you dont see anyone but a glass chined boxer go down like that.

Trenchant
08-13-2010, 05:05 AM
Regarding the Johnson fight. It's the punch you don't see that hurts you. Jones chin became an issue after he came back down from Heavyweight, it's a fact. got starched by Tarver then Johnson and eventually Green, but earlier in his career no not a bad chin.

turdleburgle
08-13-2010, 05:24 AM
Regarding the Johnson fight. It's the punch you don't see that hurts you. Jones chin became an issue after he came back down from Heavyweight, it's a fact. got starched by Tarver then Johnson and eventually Green, but earlier in his career no not a bad chin.

fighters with good chins can take that type of punch obviously jones couldn't.he got knocked out cold and was on the canvas for ages.

Vadrigar.
08-13-2010, 06:01 AM

Yes and it demonstrates the point clearly. Jones got hit with plenty of similar shots by Del Valle in the same fight and didn't get knocked down. You can even lip read him; "I'm alright" he says to the referee. No jelly legs, no flickering eyes.

BTW I hope you've watched the whole video. It's also funny how everything has to be black and white. Either he has "granite chin" or it's "pure glass". The thread title & poll is completely wrong.

Sugarj
08-13-2010, 06:42 AM
I've seen prime Jones take harder punches in his prime than that Tarver left or the Johnson right................I've certainly seen Jones take harder jabs than that grazing right from Green.

If this isn't clear evidence of deterioration of Roy's ability to hold a punch, I dont know what is. There was nothing wrong with his chin in his prime! Hopkins, Toney, Brannon, Williams, Griffin and Hill all landed decent head punches.

It happens to many world class fighters who go up in weight and then come back down too far.

It happened to Ray Leonard, he had one of the best chins in boxing. He goes as high as supermiddle. Then comes back against Norris at light middle and seems shaky when hit, a few years later Camacho TKOs him!

Ricky Hatton's weight gain and loss is well documented. He walked through some sickeners early on in his career and walked through many bombs from Tszyu. But after the welterweight fight with Mayweather he goes back down to light welter and is shaky after being hit by comparatively light blows by Lazcano.

De la Hoya vs Paq is another recent example, Oscars legs looked weak and shaky after being hit...........he looked weak full stop.

Boxers are human beings, not computer game characters or cards in a Top Trumps pack. Boxers abilities, speed and ability to absorb punches can vary alot over the course of a career. Dramatic weight loss can certainly exacerbate a boxer's ability to hold a punch.

#1Assassin
08-13-2010, 06:57 AM
no he didnt. this isnt the type of thing u can disagree on either, in his prime he had a good chin for a fact. toney caught him a few times (just an example), and he aint called lights out for no reason.

its beyond me why some ppl cant get it through their head that punch resistance fades with time, look at vargas and mayorga.. and roy jones!

T3dBundy
08-13-2010, 07:05 AM

calzaghe couldnt stop him, even when he won every single round after the first one.
roy jones jr. fought a heavyweight with his "weak" chin and won.
he had a solid chin in the 90's.
if he retired after the ruiz fight, nobody would question his chin today..

Bright-Eyes
08-13-2010, 12:26 PM
He took quite a few solid right hands from Ruiz in their fight and ruiz had decent power.

So no.

JAB5239
08-13-2010, 01:50 PM
thats a stupid argument and you know it is,I gues I need to take a punch from paulie malignaggi to know that he's a feather fist? lol he wasnt clearly past it when johnson and tarver starched him either.danny green barely grazed him and he went over like a he got shot lol.granted he was past it then but the way he went down was hilarious.you dont see anyone but a glass chined boxer go down like that.

Do us all a favor and quit trolling with you new avatar and user name. It's obvious you cannot be objective about this so arguing with you is senseless. Jones had a fine chin till he was past his best. If this weren't true he would have been ko'd long ago by the likes of Hopkins, Toney, McCallum, Tate, Sosa, Johnson, Griffin and Del Valle.

turdleburgle
08-13-2010, 02:04 PM
Do us all a favor and quit trolling with you new avatar and user name. It's obvious you cannot be objective about this so arguing with you is senseless. Jones had a fine chin till he was past his best. If this weren't true he would have been ko'd long ago by the likes of Hopkins, Toney, McCallum, Tate, Sosa, Johnson, Griffin and Del Valle.

your the one trolling here not me.telling me that i cant determine how hard a punch is unless ive been hit by it myself lol.those guys barely hit him with clean solid shots,he rarely if ever got hit.when his reflxes declined his chin got exposed and found out.

Ziggy Stardust
08-13-2010, 02:30 PM
What's with all the Jones hate lately? :dunno9:

Poet

Vadrigar.
08-13-2010, 02:32 PM
What's with all the Jones hate lately? :dunno9:

Poet

StarchedLOL has sneaked into this forum and is stealing oxygen. He is the driving force behind RJJ hate.

JAB5239
08-13-2010, 02:33 PM
your the one trolling here not me.telling me that i cant determine how hard a punch is unless ive been hit by it myself lol.those guys barely hit him with clean solid shots,he rarely if ever got hit.when his reflxes declined his chin got exposed and found out.

Ok, than tell us exactly what you do to determine how hard a punch is. Dazzle us with your analytical brilliance!

Ziggy Stardust
08-13-2010, 02:34 PM
StarchedLOL has sneaked into this forum and is stealing oxygen. He is the driving force behind RJJ hate.

:rolleyes9: :rolleyes9: :rolleyes9: :rolleyes9:

T.McGrady
08-13-2010, 05:26 PM

Alright, let's say jones really have a glass chin, so what..does that change the fact that jones is greater than joe? NO! If calzaghe couldn't KO the glass chined past prime jones landing over what? 700 punches?, that means your little idol hits like a *****.
He can hate all he want, but the fact remains Jones>Calzaghe

T.McGrady
08-13-2010, 05:29 PM
Plus, passed prime jones dropped his ass with one punch.

Clyde Barrow
08-13-2010, 05:33 PM
When he started getting hurt and KO'd, it certainly wasn't because he'd taken a ton of damage in past fights. Hard to argue against him having a bad chin. He was just elusive enough at his best to keep that hidden.

HaglerSteelChin
08-13-2010, 06:19 PM
After 50 fights Jones was l believe 49-1 and never knocked out. Like any fighter there is both degradation of skill and body after years of fighting. Jones kept his arms low often and relied on reflexes to avoid getting hit. A guy like Benitez who i think had a weaker chin would tuck his chin in more.

Jones took plenty of flush shots and not get hurt. I recall Gonzalez and Tarver in the first fight hit him with clean blows and he didn't go down. He was far from a Glass Jaw.

I mean there are different levels as granite chin, solid chin, suspect chin, and glass jaw. I don't think he was granite, but close to solid chin.

T.McGrady
08-13-2010, 08:24 PM
When he started getting hurt and KO'd, it certainly wasn't because he'd taken a ton of damage in past fights. Hard to argue against him having a bad chin. He was just elusive enough at his best to keep that hidden.

Watch Tarver-Jones I

turdleburgle
08-13-2010, 10:56 PM
Ok, than tell us exactly what you do to determine how hard a punch is. Dazzle us with your analytical brilliance!

heres an example,do I need to take a punch from both paulie malignaggi and arthur abraham to figure out who hits harder? Do I need to be in the ring taking the huge punch to know that hearns hit duran with a devestating shot?

JAB5239
08-14-2010, 04:40 AM
heres an example,do I need to take a punch from both paulie malignaggi and arthur abraham to figure out who hits harder? Do I need to be in the ring taking the huge punch to know that hearns hit duran with a devestating shot?

Obviously Abraham is the harder puncher. That still gives you no idea how hard Jones was hit during his career. Are you trying to say he never took any flush hard shots before finally getting stretched?

One more round
08-14-2010, 05:12 AM

Exactly. Not trying to say it was granite, but it was a solid beard. People don't realise that you aren't going to even ****ing get to the stage where you can fight guys like James Toney and Hopkins if you have no chin. You will get found out at club fighter level, or even in the gym sparring. Too many of these people talking **** haven't even put a pair of gloves on, power punches from guys like Toney or Johnson, guys who live and breath fighting, they ****ing hurt.

Panthershock
08-14-2010, 10:45 AM
Did he have a great chin? No, but it certainly wasn't glass.
Jones had a style which put him in vulnerable positions, but he was so fast in his prime that he used it to set traps. As a result when he started to slip he was susceptible to clean power punches more so than a fighter with a more orthodox style. The drop from heavyweight also weakened his beard.
You can't say he had a glass jaw though, he took some shots from Ruiz and held up, a glass chinned Light heavyweight does not hold up to a HW punch.

Toney616
08-14-2010, 11:48 AM
His chin has always been the same, he never took a lot of punishment through out his career so I cant see how someone can say his chin suddenly decreased during the last quarter of his career.

T.McGrady
08-14-2010, 12:42 PM
His chin has always been the same, he never took a lot of punishment through out his career so I cant see how someone can say his chin suddenly decreased during the last quarter of his career.

Tarver punished him in the 1st fight, and finished him in the 2nd.

Toney616
08-14-2010, 12:53 PM
Tarver punished him in the 1st fight, and finished him in the 2nd.
Alot of Tarvers punches landed on Jones gloves and arms, although I do remember some of his straight lefts getting between Jones's guard.

If I remember correctly I scored rounds 1 and 2 and 10 to Tarver and the rest for Jones

T.McGrady
08-14-2010, 01:11 PM
Alot of Tarvers punches landed on Jones gloves and arms, although I do remember some of his straight lefts getting between Jones's guard.

That's true, but he also landed some great punches on roy's chin. In round 9 and i believe, he almost knock roy out.

Toney616
08-14-2010, 01:14 PM
That's true, but he also landed some great punches on roy's chin. In round 9 and i believe, he almost knock roy out.
I think it was the straight right he landed at the end of round 10, which had Roy's legs wobbling, I never seen Roy react like that to a punch before

T.McGrady
08-14-2010, 01:17 PM
I think it was the straight right he landed at the end of round 10, which had Roy's legs wobbling, I never seen Roy react like that to a punch before

Don't forget about the weight loss.

Vadrigar.
08-14-2010, 01:18 PM

If you view the video I posted it explains how a fighter can loose his chin while fighting weight drained:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1IRwQADvvcY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1IRwQADvvcY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
5:11 onwards

T.McGrady
08-14-2010, 01:19 PM
Jones fought the last 7 rounds of the fight by heart and desire.

T.McGrady
08-14-2010, 01:40 PM
If you view the video I posted it explains how a fighter can loose his chin while fighting weight drained:

5:11 onwards

Haters will ask "How does losing weights effect the chin?"
Well, here is an explaination by a guy who fought jones in his prime, Vinnie Paz:

Skip to 1:51
<object style="height: 344px; width: 425px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3vyOr-UNqoc"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3vyOr-UNqoc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></object>

JAB5239
08-15-2010, 04:01 AM
Obviously Abraham is the harder puncher. That still gives you no idea how hard Jones was hit during his career. Are you trying to say he never took any flush hard shots before finally getting stretched?

I figured I wouldn't get an answer to this.

turdleburgle
08-15-2010, 04:05 AM
I figured I wouldn't get an answer to this.

so did terry norris and floyd patterson and that doesnt stop anyone saying they had glass chins.having a suspect chin doesnt mean you get rocked or knocked out as soon someone hits you.

JAB5239
08-15-2010, 04:14 AM
so did terry norris and floyd patterson and that doesnt stop anyone saying they had glass chins.having a suspect chin doesnt mean you get rocked or knocked out as soon someone hits you.

You're still not answering the question. Was Jones or was he not ever hit flush in his prime? Both Patterson and Norris were put down in their primes (Patterson can be excused), Jones was not.

turdleburgle
08-15-2010, 04:18 AM
You're still not answering the question. Was Jones or was he not ever hit flush in his prime? Both Patterson and Norris were put down in their primes (Patterson can be excused), Jones was not.

the odd clean shot but nothing that stood out and made you think wow how did he take that.he rarely got hit clean.roy jones was in his prime against del valle too.

why can patterson be excuses and not norris?

JAB5239
08-15-2010, 04:22 AM
the odd clean shot but nothing that stood out and made you think wow how did he take that.he rarely got hit clean.roy jones was in his prime against del valle too.

So you're saying Jones was never hit even though he fought many top fighters? Lol, you need to go review some film before making baseless claims.

why can patterson be excuses and not norris?

Patterson was a natural light heavy who moved to heavyweight for the money. Big difference from fighting in you natural division.

turdleburgle
08-15-2010, 04:28 AM
Patterson was a natural light heavy who moved to heavyweight for the money. Big difference from fighting in you natural division.

no he was a heavyweight and he was getting put down by guys who were similar size to him.

did you not read what i said or are you just being an ass now? I said roy got hit with the odd clean shot but he rarely got hit clean.

JAB5239
08-15-2010, 04:34 AM
no he was a heavyweight and he was getting put down by guys who were similar size to him.

NO, just because he fought at heavyweight doesn't make him a natural heavyweight. Was Jones a natural heavyweight when he fought Ruiz?

did you not read what i said or are you just being an ass now? I said roy got hit with the odd clean shot but he rarely got hit clean.

If he always had a glass jaw he should have been stopped sooner, no?

turdleburgle
08-15-2010, 04:42 AM
[QUOTE]

NO, just because he fought at heavyweight doesn't make him a natural heavyweight. Was Jones a natural heavyweight when he fought Ruiz?
]

If he always had a glass jaw he should have been stopped sooner, no?

he wasnt out of place as a heavyweight either and look at who was knocking him down.these heavyweights werent superheavyweights either ya know.

if he wasnt as great an athlete and had the reflexes that he had then he would have gotten stopped for sure.you can say he was past his prime when he was knocked out but lets not act like he was ancient and washed up against tarver and johnson.

JAB5239
08-15-2010, 04:55 AM
[QUOTE=JAB5239;9042618]he wasnt out of place as a heavyweight either and look at who was knocking him down.these heavyweights werent superheavyweights either ya know.

I 37 fights at heavyweight he was outweighed in all but 8. In only 2 of those fights (both with Quarry) did he have a loss and a draw. In many of these fights the differential in weight would have been more than a division had they not been fighting at heavy. It is a FACT that Patterson moved up not because he had to, but because he wanted the glory and the money.

if he wasnt as great an athlete and had the reflexes that he had then he would have gotten stopped for sure.you can say he was past his prime when he was knocked out but lets not act like he was ancient and washed up against tarver and johnson.

Nah, he was just 35 and coming back down to 175. Ask Chris Byrd how that worked out for him.

TBear
08-15-2010, 10:17 PM
In the end maybe but in his prime his chin was fine. Often when people aren't around during a fighters career and are only there for the tail end of it, they base their opinions on what they see. That's why it's good to pick the brains of long time fans. But I guess in a way thats what the TS is doing.