View Full Version : P4P Is George Foreman The Hardest Puncher Of All Time?

MeccaOfBoxing
08-10-2010, 10:39 PM
?>>>>>????????????

NChristo
08-10-2010, 10:45 PM
P4p I don't think so, Tommy Hearns and Julian Jackson were imo.

r.burgundy
08-10-2010, 10:47 PM
absolutely not.
lb 4 lb pacqiuo deserves serious consideration
as do hearns,foster,and the g-man

as far as heavys go,i would have george between 4-6

Dye
08-10-2010, 10:54 PM
No way for me to know.

He hit hard enough to knock out Joe Frazier and Ken Norton in two rounds, Hitting any harder might be unnecessary.

sonnyboyx2
08-11-2010, 05:05 AM
Joe Louis was the hardest punching heavyweight of All Time, with Bob Foster & Thomas Hearns also great lighter weight punchers

Spartacus Sully
08-11-2010, 05:10 AM
P4P? Absloutly. when he hit it was like the moon crashed into the earth for a second then went back up to the sky.

Chex31
08-11-2010, 05:13 AM
IMO its Julian "The Hawk" Jackson
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yEZ_tZpqAvk&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yEZ_tZpqAvk&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

sonnyboyx2
08-11-2010, 05:25 AM
here is an interesting article on punching power.

http://www.nytimes.com/1997/03/09/sports/landing-one-to-the-chin-honoring-the-best-of-boxing.html

Megamasterking
08-11-2010, 05:36 AM
Not P4P but he was VERY strong, P4P best puncher: Hearns

Miburo
08-11-2010, 05:41 AM
I'd say you have to rate him as one of the greatest punchers ever, because while he may not be the hardest, he combined chin and power like few ever have.

#1Assassin
08-11-2010, 06:09 AM
hell no, hes not even the hardest hitting heavy of all time.

the p4p hardest puncher ever is julian jackson imo. hearns, arguello, foster, robinson, mcclellan, wilfredo gomez, duran, saddler and archie moore all deserve a mention too.

frankenfrank
08-11-2010, 06:15 AM
P4P? Absloutly. when he hit it was like the moon crashed into the earth for a second then went back up to the sky.

Are there 2 different people using the Ruby Robert account ?
because these are his replies from 1 and 2 days ago comparing Foreman's straight punch to Marciano's :

marcianos right swing at only 190 some pounds was much more powerful than anything any of them ever threw. he might not have had the best right straight but very few people even throw right swings let alone a right swing like his. making it maybe not the most versatile but definitely one of the top most powerful right hands.

well yeah, my argument is based on the mechanics of different punches.

with a swing there is more distance to travel allowing for more time to accelerate to a higher top speed assuming foreman and Marciano both accelerated at the same rate (which they didnt) and we assume the swing takes 25% (like .07 seconds) longer to swing then a tight right hook putting an average right hook at 20 mph we can assume a right swing would be around 25 mph.

as kinetic energy or the energy of motion is joules = 1/2m*v^2 even a 50 lb diffrence wouldnt make up for a 5 mph diffrence in speed.

even more so though i dont think the diffrence is only 5 mph's marciano really put his arm out there and brought it in in the last moment collapsing the arc and getting some insane speed almost like the tip of a whip exploding with his full body weight.

well there is the other factor, the push, the slower you are and the more mass you have the less you hit some one and the more you just push them around.

just as with the innital impact theres the elasticity of the impact factoring into just how much force is conveyed into the impact coming from the kinetic energy.

now to this there are a million and a half different factors mainly around the movement of the head and its resistance to move. if the head were say a 20 lb ball hanging from the ceiling the faster punch is able to convey more of the kenitic energy to the ball before the ball flys away. as well when dealing with an actual human when the faster hit hits in the head the energy is more concentrated in the head where as with the hit then push the initial shot is concentrated to the head but alot of the follow through energy is transfered to the body and not the actual rattling of the brain which causes a KO.

and punching up or down dosnt matter its alittle more difficult to punch up due to gravity but its only difficult on your stamina, not to restrict how hard on can punch. when the rock punched upwards he was pretty much jumping in the air with his whole body weight and the force of his legs behind his punches.

on top of that when your punching downwards you have the acceleration of gravity helping you, but thats only 9.8 meters per second which after a second would be about 20 mph. I dont know any one that takes a whole second to punch, that little 9.8 meters persecond is nothing compared to the acceleration from your feet.

lyle probly wouldnt have even been alive if marciano was able to get off as many clean shots as forman did prior to lyle going down. if it were marciano lyle would have swaggered and fallen to the ground not to the ropes only to last another 10 seconds of formans pushing and still not having been knocked unconcious but really only having given up, well not given up till the ten count but given up in that he was still lieing on the canvas even while people were going to help him up, not like he was lieing there because he couldnt get up.

im saying the 100 clean hits from george in the 40 seconds prior to lyle going down wouldn't even be equal to 50 clean hits from Marciano.

and yeah i have faith in my claim that marciano had one of the hardest hitting right hands. shavers hit **** loads harder then foreman just from first glance off box rec but ill stay with rocky hitting harder still. though i should probly watch some of shavers if i actually want to argue it any fruther.

after watching some shavers mainly the lyle fight and some compilations id still put the rocks swing up there past shavers hooks.

JAB5239
08-11-2010, 06:23 AM
absolutely not.

As much as I liked McClellan's warrior attitude he simply doesn't belong on a list next to the truly great punchers in history. The two best names on his resume are Mugabi and Jackson. Mugabi was done at that point and never won another meaningful fight. Jackson was ko'd in all 6 of his losses. The opposition he ko'd was a combined 338-199. Take Mugabi and Jackson of that list and the numbers drop dramatically down to 205 wins against 194 losses. Sorry, but knocking out tomato cans shouldn't get you mentioned with the best punchers ever.

Spartacus Sully
08-11-2010, 06:28 AM
Are there 2 different people using the Ruby Robert account ?
because these are his replies from 1 and 2 days ago comparing Foreman's straight punch to Marciano's :

I was going for the so absurd that people would actually be able to tell its sarcasm with out the unique tone of voice.

i mean come on like the moon crashing into the earth??

i could think of atleast 20 p4p that beat out george.

and it wasnt straight punches it was foremans tight hooks compared to marcianos tight swings.

frankenfrank
08-11-2010, 06:35 AM
I was going for the so absurd that people would actually be able to tell its sarcasm with out the unique tone of voice.

i mean come on like the moon crashing into the earth??

i could think of atleast 20 p4p that beat out george.

and it wasnt straight punches it was foremans tight hooks compared to marcianos tight swings.

The serious answer looks better

any craic lad?
08-11-2010, 06:38 AM
P4p I don't think so, Tommy Hearns and Julian Jackson were imo.

I second this

Spartacus Sully
08-11-2010, 06:41 AM
The serious answer looks better

yeah but now i might be asked to make up a top 20 p4p hardest punchers list...not that i couldn't think of 20 people i just dont like putting them in a set order.

JAB5239
08-11-2010, 06:45 AM
Sam Langford deserves mention.

Ziggy Stardust
08-11-2010, 09:40 AM
P4P? No. That would be Julian Jackson. Hardest punching Heavyweight? That case could be made though I still believe Foreman is number 2 behind Shavers (who, by the way, weighed less than Foreman).

Poet

r.burgundy
08-11-2010, 09:55 AM
As much as I liked McClellan's warrior attitude he simply doesn't belong on a list next to the truly great punchers in history. The two best names on his resume are Mugabi and Jackson. Mugabi was done at that point and never won another meaningful fight. Jackson was ko'd in all 6 of his losses. The opposition he ko'd was a combined 338-199. Take Mugabi and Jackson of that list and the numbers drop dramatically down to 205 wins against 194 losses. Sorry, but knocking out tomato cans shouldn't get you mentioned with the best punchers ever.

his career was cut tragically short
90% of guys who get ko'd are usually tomato cans.good to elite fighters usually dont get ko'd.especially at te lighter weights
ive seen you say mugabi was a big puncher in defense of haglers opposition

KillerRightHook
08-11-2010, 02:31 PM
Joe Louis was the hardest punching heavyweight of All Time, with Bob Foster & Thomas Hearns also great lighter weight punchers

Agree with Joe Louis as hardest punching Heavyweight. For P4P I have:

Tommy Hearns
Manny Pacquiao
Bob Foster
:boxing:

boxing boy
08-11-2010, 03:59 PM
Foreman had awesome power in BOTH hands.

He would be right up there p4p counting power in "both" hands.

Foreman was also probably the strongest fighter of all-time.

JAB5239
08-11-2010, 06:25 PM
his career was cut tragically short

So that means we should just elevate him in status as one of the best punchers of all time?

90% of guys who get ko'd are usually tomato cans.good to elite fighters usually dont get ko'd.especially at te lighter weights

Good fighters get knocked out by great punchers all the time, thats what separates a great puncher from the guy who built his rep ko'ing tomato cans. Do I have to show you the difference with examples?

i've seen you say mugabi was a big puncher in defense of haglers opposition

Mugabi was a big puncher. So was McClellan. Neither deserve to be mentioned amongst the best punchers all time though.

BigStereotype
08-11-2010, 06:29 PM
absolutely not.

Pacquiao as in Manny? Are you serious? A harder hitter than Big George, Julian Jackson? Hell no.

Anyway, I think it's those three in any order you might like.

titanium
08-11-2010, 06:58 PM
Foreman is up there in the rankings. I would go with Shavers because guys like Foreman and Julian Jackson had other skills where Shavers only had the punch.

prinzemanspopa
08-11-2010, 08:12 PM
No way for me to know.

He hit hard enough to knock out Joe Frazier and Ken Norton in two rounds, Hitting any harder might be unnecessary.

Earnie Shavers and Gerry Cooney needed just a round to make easy work of Norton.

Considering Frazier spent his entire career avoiding virtually every single puncher ranked in the top ten,and was found out as having a glass jaw....It's not as impressive a knockout as it looks on paper.

wilfredo gomez.

Doesn't deserve a mention on any credible "greatest punchers" list.

He has a very good knockout ratio,but it's very misleading.He really wasn't that good of a puncher.

Heru
08-11-2010, 08:59 PM
Not P4P or heavyweight either, considering that a common opponent in Ali said Shavers was the hardest puncher he had ever faced and a couple other fighters with iron chins (Larry Holmes and Tex Cobb) said the same. The distinction goes to Ernie Shavers.

As far as P4P, having Julian Jackson's KO ratio with his level of opposition is insane. He even hurt or stunned the guys that beat him (McCallum and McClellan). Hearns and a few others would be on the list before Foreman too.

No shame in that though, we're talking about 120 years where millions of the toughest, ruggedest, and strongest men have participated.

r.burgundy
08-11-2010, 09:49 PM
Pacquiao as in Manny? Are you serious? A harder hitter than Big George, Julian Jackson? Hell no.

Anyway, I think it's those three in any order you might like.

in a lb 4 for lb sense you can include manny in that discussion.what he's been able to do coming up from 106 is incredible

IronWolverine
08-12-2010, 11:02 AM
mike tyson,hearns