View Full Version : Tyson vs Douglas - One of the ATG Fights

sonnyboyx2
08-09-2010, 10:47 AM
on February 11, 1990 in Tokyo, Japan, Heavyweight champion Mike Tyson defended his title against James`Buster`Douglas in a fight which turned out to be one of the greatest fights in heavyweight history.. Douglas was in tremendous physical shape and put on a A+ performance worthy of any great champion, jabbing & moving while letting fly with thunderous right-hand bombs.. Mike Tyson strong, brave & incredibly tough, soaked up the punches and hung in there as the fight ebbed & flowed back and forth for 10 titantic rounds, this fight had tears, controversy & joy it had everything and was as good as any heavyweight fight in history...
1/. How many champions could have beat Douglas on this night
2/. How many champions could have taken the punches Tyson took on this night

SBleeder
08-09-2010, 10:51 AM
on February 11, 1990 in Tokyo, Japan, Heavyweight champion Mike Tyson defended his title against James`Buster`Douglas in a fight which turned out to be one of the greatest fights in heavyweight history.. Douglas was in tremendous physical shape and put on a A+ performance worthy of any great champion, jabbing & moving while letting fly with thunderous right-hand bombs.. Mike Tyson strong, brave & incredibly tough, soaked up the punches and hung in there as the fight ebbed & flowed back and forth for 10 titantic rounds, this fight had tears, controversy & joy it had everything and was as good as any heavyweight fight in history...

Just about every former champion could have put forth a better effort than Tyson did.

sonnyboyx2
08-09-2010, 11:16 AM
Just about every former champion could have put forth a better effort than Tyson did.

a pure hater... did Mike f*** your moma in the a** or something

GymRat
08-09-2010, 11:26 AM
These anti-Tyson people live some very sad lives, as evidenced in your previous thread (http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=413688), Sonny Boy. One thing was for sure, Buster Douglas was in his absolute prime that night. Mike was two years out of his prime on the other hand. Either way, you have to give credit to Buster. A hell of a performance on his part.

SBleeder
08-09-2010, 11:42 AM
These anti-Tyson people live some very sad lives, as evidenced in your previous thread (http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=413688), Sonny Boy. One thing was for sure, Buster Douglas was in his absolute prime that night. Mike was two years out of his prime on the other hand. Either way, you have to give credit to Buster. A hell of a performance on his part.

Two years out of his prime LOL. He must have some genetic condition where he ages twice as fast as normal people, 'cause most folks are perfectly fine at age 23.

GymRat
08-09-2010, 11:54 AM
Two years out of his prime LOL. He must have some genetic condition where he ages twice as fast as normal people, 'cause most folks are perfectly fine at age 23.

You must live somewhere special because most 23 year olds I know couldn't put one round into a boxing match, yet alone the ones who had the problems Mike had at the time. As you may see, I listed reasons here (http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9005147#post9005147) but you failed to respond to them or even take note of them.

SBleeder
08-09-2010, 12:11 PM
You must live somewhere special because most 23 year olds I know couldn't put one round into a boxing match, yet alone the ones who had the problems Mike had at the time. As you may see, I listed reasons here (http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9005147#post9005147) but you failed to respond to them or even take note of them.

That's because champions overcome difficulties. There are plenty of fighters who had far worse things in their lives than Tyson, and didn't fold up like he did. Douglas' mom died, for goodness sake, and he showed up prepared. Tyson had some adversity, mostly business-related, and used that as an excuse to prepare inadequately. I've never known a 23-year-old without a debilitating disease/injury who wasn't capable of athletic improvement.

Ali at 38 was "past his prime". He had been in the ring too long, taken too many shots, and was too old.

Tyson had only fought 126 rounds at the time he faced Douglas.

One was truly past his prime, the other was simply lazy. THERE'S A DIFFERENCE.

GymRat
08-09-2010, 12:20 PM
That's because champions overcome difficulties. There are plenty of fighters who had far worse things in their lives than Tyson, and didn't fold up like he did. Douglas' mom died, for goodness sake, and he showed up prepared. Tyson had some adversity, mostly business-related, and used that as an excuse to prepare inadequately. I've never known a 23-year-old without a debilitating disease/injury who wasn't capable of athletic improvement.

Ali at 38 was "past his prime". He had been in the ring too long, taken too many shots, and was too old.

Tyson had only fought 126 rounds at the time he faced Douglas.

One was truly past his prime, the other was simply lazy. THERE'S A DIFFERENCE.

So by this post you are clarifying that you realize and admit to (contrary to your previous statement in the other thread) that Mike Tyson was indeed out of his prime for his fight with Buster Douglas, correct?

I guess I'll have to bring up my ham sandwich theory again. If you (Mike Tyson) have a ham sandwich (your prime), and for whatever reason Don King comes and takes the lettuce off of it, bad influence people took the cheese off of it, Robin Givens and her mom came and took the tomatoes off of it, the death of your only true friends and mentors, etc. takes the ham off of it, and then you choose to throw the bread away (for whatever reason, being lazy, being immature, etc.) - Does that mean that you never had that sandwich to begin with? Does it mean you still have it? No. Mike Tyson (for the reasons I listed previously, including acts by Tyson's self) did not have his sandwich (prime) when he was fighting Buster Douglas. He had been on an immediate decline since firing Kevin Rooney after the Spinks fight.

Here. You obviously have some kind of learning disorder and I have exhausted all other effort to get you to understand, so here's a multi-part video shedding some light on it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkzGANiYro0

BattlingNelson
08-09-2010, 04:18 PM
This is probably the most thrilling fight I ever saw live. It was like the evil school bully getting his butt kicked by the most unlikely nerd.

Tyson was ill prepared for this fight like he had been since splitting from Rooney and his life was in shambles with Robin Givens leaving etc. Douglas on the other hand gave a career performance. It was the first Tyson faced an opponent who wasn't intimidated before the first bell.

As for your questions well who knows. Douglas came up with the perfect gameplan and he executed splendidly. The Douglas of that night would give many champions trouble that's for sure.

And Tyson did take a helluva beating. Tyson himself was undefeated and he no doubt felt invinceable. Again who knows who could take as much as Tyson did? He did take about as much as Foreman did against Ali but probably less than Willard took in 3 rounds against Dempsey. So off the top of my head I'd say that the following could take as much as Tyson did that night in Tokyo:

Jeffries
Willard
Louis (think of Schmeling I)
Marciano
Ali
Frazier
Foreman
Vitali
and maybe Holmes.

TBear
08-09-2010, 04:38 PM
Great that alot of us were watching boxing then.

On the fight, Douglas did turn a masterful performance but I feel and felt before the fight that Tyson was in a downhill spiral. So not negating Douglas' championship performance, I feel he was in the right place at the right time. Not a big deal was made of the sparring session in which Greg Page floored Tyson before the fight as nearly all of us figured Tyson would still take out Buster in Tokoyo. But Tyson's problems were a on going thing. The drama from his failed marriage to Robin(and her mom), the Don King motivated firing of long time trainer Rooney. And even Tyson's own dealings with depression.

Douglas took full advantage of the situation and rose to the occasion but on that night was fortunate he was not fighting the machine Tyson was in 1986-88.

Ziggy Stardust
08-09-2010, 08:30 PM
on February 11, 1990 in Tokyo, Japan, champion Mike Tyson defended his title against James`Buster`Douglas in a fight which turned out to be one of the greatest fights in heavyweight history.. Douglas was in tremendous physical shape and put on a A+ performance worthy of any great champion, jabbing & moving while letting fly with thunderous right-hand bombs.. Mike Tyson strong, brave & incredibly tough, soaked up the punches and hung in there as the fight ebbed & flowed back and forth for 10 titantic rounds, this fight had tears, controversy & joy it had everything and was as good as any heavyweight fight in history...

People really don't give Douglas enough credit for his performance that night. Honestly, I've seen that fight many times and Douglas would have been a tough fight for any ATG Heavyweight that night: It was simply a terrific performance by Buster. Tyson haters and Tyson huggers (ie. both extremes) both seem to try and discredit Douglas in that fight. The huggers because they're so desperate to explain away Tyson's loss, and the haters because they throw it in the face of Tyson fans everytime the subject of Mike comes up (and yes, I've been guilty of that myself at times when dealing with particularly obnoxious Tyson nuthuggers). As I said, I've watched that fight many times paying particular attention to how Tyson looked and the truth is he honestly didn't fight that bad a fight: If that had been Carl Williams in front of him Mike would have made it a short night. It's been said "well Tyson wasn't doing this or that like he did when he was prime".....the truth is, he started out trying to do those very things in that fight and Douglas wouldn't let him. All the credit for that should go to Douglas and it really isn't a fair example to use against Mike because, as I said, it would have been a very difficult fight for ANY ATG Heavyweight. It's like faulting Ray Leonard for losing the first Duran fight. At the same time, there's no reason for Tyson nuthuggers to jump through hoops trying to make excuses for Mike: Douglas was just the better man that night.

Poet

ABOSWORTH
08-09-2010, 08:48 PM
I'm a Tyson fan so that fight really breaks my heart but it was an amazing performance by Douglas. I don't know if anyone could have beat him that night. With the recent death of his mother, he was completely determined and would have given any HW absolute hell.

Some Tyson fans say that he wasn't taking the fight seriously and that he was partying all night with Japanese hookers or whatever, which may be partially true but that's nobodies fault but his.

One more round
08-09-2010, 09:36 PM
That fight is what I love about boxing-anything can happen

To me it also is this fight and the aftermath of it that showed that Tyson really lacked the extra bit of "x" factor to make him a truly great champion. Things weren't going great for him, it was a bad night, he got beat, that is excusable. But he was never the same, he never rematched Douglas, he never showed the same kind of fire ever again. To me, it just seems that at age 23, a truly great fighter would have came back and at least tried to recapture his past glory.

I know he fought for titles too after that, but he just seemed to mentally cave in when things didn't go his way after that.

One more round
08-09-2010, 09:39 PM
I'm a Tyson fan so that fight really breaks my heart but it was an amazing performance by Douglas. I don't know if anyone could have beat him that night. With the recent death of his mother, he was completely determined and would have given any HW absolute hell.

Some Tyson fans say that he wasn't taking the fight seriously and that he was partying all night with Japanese hookers or whatever, which may be partially true but that's nobodies fault but his.

Yes he fought very well, and he would have given many guys trouble, but I see too many guys falling in for the whole "unbeatable douglas" crap in order to cover Mike's ass. Douglas still would have lost to evander, ali etc on that night.

ABOSWORTH
08-09-2010, 10:08 PM
Yes he fought very well, and he would have given many guys trouble, but I see too many guys falling in for the whole "unbeatable douglas" crap in order to cover Mike's ass. Douglas still would have lost to evander, ali etc on that night.

Yeah, that may be but as I said before, I'm a Tyson fan. What can I say. :lol1:

Megamasterking
08-10-2010, 12:32 AM

That's a different way to see it, for me it's one of the worst i saw, Tyson was losing to Douglas ! I coulnd't believe it ! but i understand your point...:beerchug:

SBleeder
08-10-2010, 09:47 AM
as the fight ebbed & flowed back and forth for 10 titantic rounds,

LOL, I almost missed this.

What "ebbing and flowing" were you watching? Tyson got smoked for ten straight rounds, with the exception of a few good shots here and there.

It was a great fight to watch, since Tyson was exposed for the fraud he was.

sonnyboyx2
08-10-2010, 09:57 AM
LOL, I almost missed this.

What "ebbing and flowing" were you watching? Tyson got smoked for ten straight rounds, with the exception of a few good shots here and there.

It was a great fight to watch, since Tyson was exposed for the fraud he was.

you are a Troll... and this post proves so..
its obvious that you have never watched Tyson vs Douglas otherwise you would be well aware of how that fight "ebbed & flowed" with the 8th round being as controversial as `Battle of the Long Count`.... so i will now have to put you on my ignore list as i cannot do with clowns like you who troll the history section not knowing the difference between a boxing match and a football match... bye bye fool.

BattlingNelson
08-10-2010, 10:16 AM
you are a Troll... and this post proves so..
its obvious that you have never watched Tyson vs Douglas otherwise you would be well aware of how that fight "ebbed & flowed" with the 8th round being as controversial as `Battle of the Long Count`.... so i will now have to put you on my ignore list as i cannot do with clowns like you who troll the history section not knowing the difference between a boxing match and a football match... bye bye fool.
Well IMO Tyson was given a one-sided beating. Apart from a single uppercut in round 8 he played the role of the catcher.

But of course saying that Tyson was 'exposed as a fraud' as Sbleeder did, is quite NSB'ish in it's exaggeration.

Tyson.
08-10-2010, 10:48 AM
Douglous should have been KOed, the ref screwed Tyson in this fight.

It was one of the biggest roberies in boxing history. Douglous should have been stripped of his title.

Yeah Douglous does deserve credit for fighting a good fight but Tyson was wasnt training properly and was partying in the runup to the fight.

Ziggy Stardust
08-10-2010, 10:51 AM

It was one of the biggest roberies in boxing history. Douglous should have been stripped of his title.

Yeah Douglous does deserve credit for fighting a good fight but Tyson was wasnt training properly and was partying in the runup to the fight.

:bottle::bottle::bottle::bottle:Another crybaby Tyson nuthugger.....try coming up with some new excuses.

Poet

Toney616
08-10-2010, 10:52 AM

Suliaman told the ref before the fight to be nice to Tyson and hard on Douglas

The ref also gave Tyson the same long count as well

That's Tyson's fault

Tyson.
08-10-2010, 11:15 AM
Suliaman told the ref before the fight to be nice to Tyson and hard on Douglas

The ref also gave Tyson the same long count as well

That's Tyson's fault

If the ref had counted correctly.

Tyson would have won the fight.

Toney616
08-10-2010, 11:18 AM
If the ref had counted correctly.

Tyson would have won the fight.
The ref didn't pick up the count from the time keeper, if I remember correctly, but if you look at Douglas, he was banging his fists on the mat and looked like he was merely waiting for the ref to get to the end of his count before getting up. In otherwords if the ref had picked up the count at 2 then Douglas would of still made it imo

venom1
08-10-2010, 11:35 AM

Great legendary fight of all time

WladIsTheChamp
08-10-2010, 03:22 PM
Tyson was overrated and contrary to Tyson nut-hugger belief, Buster Douglas was not Superman that night because his mom died. He might have had an extra boost of morale and trained harder but his skills didn't all of a sudden improve that night nor did his physical strength or speed or chin, any other champ like Lewis, Holyfield, both Klitshkos, Bowe, would have destroyed Douglas that night under the same conditions and same situation.

Tyson just couldn't believe that someone was fighting back and wasn't scared of him, couple that with the fact that Tyson was too short and with a relatively short reach to boot, and you got the result that was a foreshadowing of the things to come. Tyson would go on to loose to 2 more tall fighters after that - Lewis and McBride (shameful quittage). And loose to 2 others who didn't have the height but head the heart - Holyfield and Williams.

Tyson just wasn't as good as some people make him out to be. Top 15-20, yes, but no lower than 15. Both Klitschkos have accomplished more.

sonnyboyx2
08-10-2010, 04:12 PM
Tyson was overrated and contrary to Tyson nut-hugger belief, Buster Douglas was not Superman that night because his mom died. He might have had an extra boost of morale and trained harder but his skills didn't all of a sudden improve that night nor did his physical strength or speed or chin, any other champ like Lewis, Holyfield, both Klitshkos, Bowe, would have destroyed Douglas that night under the same conditions and same situation.

Tyson just couldn't believe that someone was fighting back and wasn't scared of him, couple that with the fact that Tyson was too short and with a relatively short reach to boot, and you got the result that was a foreshadowing of the things to come. Tyson would go on to loose to 2 more tall fighters after that - Lewis and McBride (shameful quittage). And loose to 2 others who didn't have the height but head the heart - Holyfield and Williams.

Tyson just wasn't as good as some people make him out to be. Top 15-20, yes, but no lower than 15. Both Klitschkos have accomplished more.

laughable.... You need to sit down and watch yourself a few boxing fights.. let me recommend a couple:

Douglas vs McCall
Douglas vs Berbick
Douglas vs Williams

You will see Douglas was an incredible fighting machine with a jab as good as any fighter in history, "Big Bus knocks McCall from pillar-to-post the same McCall who poleaxed Lennox Lewis in less than 2rds and who was nothing more than a `Sparring-partner` for Mike Tyson.. as for Tysons losses to Lewis, McBride & Williams it was clear that after the lifestyle Tyson lived and all the prison sentences he had served that he was a completely `SHOT` fighter from before the Douglas fight and onwards.

BattlingNelson
08-10-2010, 04:27 PM

The ref made a long count that's correct. Still Douglas was alert and listened to the count and what else should he have done? Who's to say that Buster wouldn't have risen had the referee done a correct count?

WladIsTheChamp
08-10-2010, 04:28 PM
laughable.... You need to sit down and watch yourself a few boxing fights.. let me recommend a couple:

Douglas vs McCall
Douglas vs Berbick
Douglas vs Williams

You will see Douglas was an incredible fighting machine with a jab as good as any fighter in history, "Big Bus knocks McCall from pillar-to-post the same McCall who poleaxed Lennox Lewis in less than 2rds and who was nothing more than a `Sparring-partner` for Mike Tyson.. as for Tysons losses to Lewis, McBride & Williams it was clear that after the lifestyle Tyson lived and all the prison sentences he had served that he was a completely `SHOT` fighter from before the Douglas fight and onwards.

Yes, such great fighter, his KO losses to such memorable fighters as David Bey and Mike White are what sets him apart. That and his long reign as HW champion after beating Tyson. Ofcourse when talking about an incredible fighting machine such as him, don't forget to mention his 54% KO ratio for a guy who was 240 lbs, that's absolutely astounding, only the likes of Chris Byrd can surpass such Thor-like power.

GTFO, Buster Douglas was a one-hit wonder against a fighter that wasn't that great to begin with. A prime Tyson got exposed by Douglas. Only saw McCall from those three you mentioned, same McCall that got lucky against Lewis and then quit on his stool crying. I am wondering when the IBHOF is going to induct the "incredible fighting machine" into its hallowed halls.

Ziggy Stardust
08-10-2010, 05:10 PM
Both Klitschkos have accomplished more.

Now lets see.....Wlad has accomplished the impossible and got KTFO by Ross Purrity, has also accomplished the impossible by making Corrie Sanders look like something more than a Class-C figher, not to mention accomplishing the impossible by making Lamon Brewster look like a world-beater.

Now Vitali! He accomplished a "shameful quittage" against against Chris Byrd and managed to get his eye torn out of it's socket against Lennox Lewis. Oh yes, he also managed to beat up all the Class-C fighters that beat up his little sister Wlad. Have a nice day! :)

Poet

sonnyboyx2
08-11-2010, 01:45 AM
Yes, such great fighter, his KO losses to such memorable fighters as David Bey and Mike White are what sets him apart. That and his long reign as HW champion after beating Tyson. Ofcourse when talking about an incredible fighting machine such as him, don't forget to mention his 54% KO ratio for a guy who was 240 lbs, that's absolutely astounding, only the likes of Chris Byrd can surpass such Thor-like power.

GTFO, Buster Douglas was a one-hit wonder against a fighter that wasn't that great to begin with. A prime Tyson got exposed by Douglas. Only saw McCall from those three you mentioned, same McCall that got lucky against Lewis and then quit on his stool crying. I am wondering when the IBHOF is going to induct the "incredible fighting machine" into its hallowed halls.

pure boxrec and not one iota of boxing knowledge

GJC
08-11-2010, 07:29 PM
Great that alot of us were watching boxing then.

On the fight, Douglas did turn a masterful performance but I feel and felt before the fight that Tyson was in a downhill spiral. So not negating Douglas' championship performance, I feel he was in the right place at the right time. Not a big deal was made of the sparring session in which Greg Page floored Tyson before the fight as nearly all of us figured Tyson would still take out Buster in Tokoyo. But Tyson's problems were a on going thing. The drama from his failed marriage to Robin(and her mom), the Don King motivated firing of long time trainer Rooney. And even Tyson's own dealings with depression.

Douglas took full advantage of the situation and rose to the occasion but on that night was fortunate he was not fighting the machine Tyson was in 1986-88.

Agree to a point I think Tyson was ready to be taken from the time of the first Bruno fight or post Rooney if you like.
It was one of the great performances of HW history from Douglas and a reminder of what a wasted talent he was.
One thing I would say though is that no matter how good Douglas was and what sort of condition Tyson was in, Douglas fought without fear, which many had shown against Tyson, and fought the way that any version of Tyson would have struggled against.

CarlosG815
08-11-2010, 09:40 PM
ESPN classics just aired the Lewis - Rahman fight.

What kind of fighter gets destroyed in such a small amount of time after taking such little punishment? To compare the onslaught that Tyson took, and still knocked Buster down at the end, to Lewis getting AXED in just 5 short rounds to a fighter like Rahman just screams hugger.

Lewis - Briggs is on now and Lewis is lucky to have made it out of the first round.

Lewis has terrible footwork and he's always off balance. Even when he knocked down Frank Bruno (I believe it was Bruno), he almost fell over himself.

Lewis is just absolutely terrible in every aspect. He is a total phony and the fact that he has fans just proves that humans will always stand by their countrymen, proudly, no matter how terrible they are at their craft.

turdleburgle
08-12-2010, 12:51 AM

What kind of fighter gets destroyed in such a small amount of time after taking such little punishment? To compare the onslaught that Tyson took, and still knocked Buster down at the end, to Lewis getting AXED in just 5 short rounds to a fighter like Rahman just screams hugger.

Lewis - Briggs is on now and Lewis is lucky to have made it out of the first round.

Lewis has terrible footwork and he's always off balance. Even when he knocked down Frank Bruno (I believe it was Bruno), he almost fell over himself.

Lewis is just absolutely terrible in every aspect. He is a total phony and the fact that he has fans just proves that humans will always stand by their countrymen, proudly, no matter how terrible they are at their craft.

http://www.sportsblink.com/product_images/lennox-lewis-tyson-autographed-photograph-3366081.jpg

The day the rapist and his myth finally got put to rest.

Ziggy Stardust
08-12-2010, 01:09 AM
You know, even great fighters have off nights so there's no need for Tyson fans to get so defensive about the Douglas fight. If the Tyson of the Pinklon Thomas or Bonecrusher Smith fights had shown up in Tokyo he'd have lost to Douglas too.

Poet

Joeyzagz
08-12-2010, 01:37 AM

^^^You manage to turn another History topic to a Lennox thread.

Congrats.

sonnyboyx2
08-12-2010, 02:50 AM
You know, even great fighters have off nights so there's no need for Tyson fans to get so defensive about the Douglas fight. If the Tyson of the Pinklon Thomas or Bonecrusher Smith fights had shown up in Tokyo he'd have lost to Douglas too.

Poet

yes i agree... Tyson started to lost focus from around the time he beat Tony Tucker, he was living a lifestyle akin to a movie star, boozing, drugs and as many women as he could manage... by the time he fought Pinklon Thomas he entered the ring on antibiotics due to him suffering from gonorrhea and he never gave up that or sacrificed that kind of lifestyle (still hasn`t).... But the thing you must say about Mike Tyson is that he is one of "The Toughest" guys of all times, even when he was out of shape and untrained no fighter could just walk in there and demoralize him (knock him out) there had to be a breaking down process go on first.. so in his 2 major defeats to Douglas & Holyfield he took a tremendous amount of punishment before succumbing which is a mark of his greatness.. even 13yrs after the Douglas loss 6yrs after the Holyfield loss and having served several lengthy prison sentences Tyson turned up for the payday against Lennox Lewis and took a pounding before going down... Like Carlos pointed out in the above post Lennox Lewis never had the toughness or the heart of Mike Tyson, its just not feasible to imagine a McCall or a Rahman poleaxe Mike Tyson with one punch like they did Lennox Lewis, infact its not feasible to imagine any fighter in the history of the sport "one punch and beat" Mike Tyson in the way that Lewis was defeated which makes Tyson an ATG fighter which the same cannot be said of Lennox Lewis because of the manner of those two `One-Punch` defeats.

Vadrigar.
08-22-2010, 11:01 AM

1. I'm not sure about champions, but I think many ATG's could beat him on the same night.

2. Probably Holyfield, Foreman etc..