View Full Version : Ali's Punching Power?

MeccaOfBoxing
08-09-2010, 06:52 AM
How do you rate Ali's punching power on a whole? Only ever man to stop Bonavnea & Foreman. Is he a underrated puncher?

Vadrigar.
08-09-2010, 06:58 AM
He had above average punching power, but could land some damaging blows when sitting down on his shots.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/g9-7Qrr759o&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/g9-7Qrr759o&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
7:18

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VFFDe9FQL3s&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VFFDe9FQL3s&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
9:12

sonnyboyx2
08-09-2010, 07:05 AM
Ali punched as hard as any heavyweight with the difference being in that Ali loved to completely dominate his opponents so never really had to resort to one-punch power but when he had to he did it well and with concusive power

Toney616
08-09-2010, 07:06 AM
How do you rate Ali's punching power on a whole? Only ever man to stop Bonavnea & Foreman. Is he a underrated puncher?
Haven't seen the Bonavena fight, so I cant comment on that, the Foreman ko was due to Foreman's stamina and the accumulation of punches he took from Ali. So no, I wouldnt say Ali was a big puncher, I would say he was average or below average

TriGaFinGa
08-09-2010, 07:10 AM
he had average power

HitBattousai
08-09-2010, 07:21 AM
Average power but he did hit with shots that his opponents couldn't see often, especially from 1964-1967.

Boogie Nights
08-09-2010, 07:52 AM
Ali punched as hard as any heavyweight with the difference being in that Ali loved to completely dominate his opponents so never really had to resort to one-punch power but when he had to he did it well and with concusive poweri disagree with that, if a fighter knows he can finish the job he's not gonna screw around just for the heck of it.

as a whole i feel his power is underated, with a few exceptions he mostly wore you down with his punches. he wasnt a light puncher but his gifts lay elsewhere.

BattlingNelson
08-09-2010, 08:40 AM
i disagree with that, if a fighter knows he can finish the job he's not gonna screw around just for the heck of it.
as a whole i feel his power is underated, with a few exceptions he mostly wore you down with his punches. he wasnt a light puncher but his gifts lay elsewhere.
Nevertheless that was what Ali did in his entire pre-champion career. He called the round in which he'd KO his opponent and if neccessary carried his opponent that far.

Spartacus Sully
08-09-2010, 08:50 AM
Id rank him with Lewis in terms of power...not that Lewis had much power.

Toney616
08-09-2010, 08:59 AM
I would rank him below Lewis, That Rahman ko comes to mind

Spartacus Sully
08-09-2010, 09:06 AM

super heavy koin super heavies nothing special when lewis magically becomes 215 and starts koin 250s then he might have a punch. he had lots of mass just not the speed where as ali could use technique to go for an average of mass and speed that combined i would put up there with lewis in punching.

Toney616
08-09-2010, 09:10 AM
super heavy koin super heavies nothing special when lewis magically becomes 215 and starts koin 250s then he might have a punch. he had lots of mass just not the speed where as ali could use technique to go for an average of mass and speed that combined i would put up there with lewis in punching.
It doesnt matter, the end result is what counts and Lewis could hit harder than Ali

Spartacus Sully
08-09-2010, 09:16 AM
It doesnt matter, the end result is what counts and Lewis could hit harder than Ali

being a 30-40 lb heavier person yes, P4P no, they would be about equal there.

NChristo
08-09-2010, 09:26 AM
I'd say he had average power, tends to get under rated though.

i disagree with that, if a fighter knows he can finish the job he's not gonna screw around just for the heck of it.

Disagree with this, Pernell Whitaker I feel had decent power to get more of his opponents out of there but he seemed to love being in the ring so much that he would make it go the distance.

Toney616
08-09-2010, 09:29 AM
being a 30-40 lb heavier person yes, P4P no, they would be about equal there.
Who did Ali ever ko to be placed above Lewis on a p4p punching scale?

T.McGrady
08-09-2010, 09:37 AM
Average power, but so accurate with his punches.

Spartacus Sully
08-09-2010, 09:44 AM

sonny liston?

who did lewis ever not TKO besides an older tyson and rahman to even be deemed a great puncher?

Toney616
08-09-2010, 09:48 AM
sonny liston?
you count that as a legit ko?

Spartacus Sully
08-09-2010, 09:49 AM
you count that as a legit ko?

absolutely, nailed him right on the button. like ali was saying WTF!?!11! why am i fighting this guy again???? timing his jabs for like a min while sonny barely raises his shoulder. just came in with a square overhand right counter over listons jab.

Stone Roses!
08-09-2010, 09:54 AM
Relative to punchers like Shavers, Liston, Louis and Dempsey I would say Ali had average power.

Toney616
08-09-2010, 09:56 AM
absolutely, nailed him right on the button. like ali was saying WTF!?!11! why am i fighting this guy again????

Ali also said," get up you bum, no one will believe this."

Source: Ferdie Pacheco-Sonny liston sports century documentary

Ali was mainly an arm puncher, who rarely (If ever) sat down on his punches

Lewis could get guys out of there with one punch, as he did against Rahman. The only time Ali koed someone with one punch was during that dodgy ko against Liston and a very over the hill Williams

BattlingNelson
08-09-2010, 09:58 AM
I don't know if he is above Lewis in power, but the KO of Foreman is a great achievement and a pre-exile record of 29 wins and 24 KO's is indicative of more than average power.

Toney616
08-09-2010, 10:01 AM
I don't know if he is above Lewis in power, but the KO of Foreman is a great achievement and a pre-exile record of 29 wins and 24 KO's is indicative of more than average power.
I didnt know that, learn something new everyday

sonnyboyx2
08-09-2010, 10:53 AM

Oleg Maskaev poleaxed Rahman TWICE in far more devastating fashion than Lewis ever did.

sonnyboyx2
08-09-2010, 10:56 AM

Lewis outpointed Levi Billups yet Billups was knocked out in the first couple of rounds by every other fighter he ever fought.. which says alot about the punching power of Lewis

sonnyboyx2
08-09-2010, 10:58 AM
Ali also said," get up you bum, no one will believe this."

Source: Ferdie Pacheco-Sonny liston sports century documentary

Ali was mainly an arm puncher, who rarely (If ever) sat down on his punches

Lewis could get guys out of there with one punch, as he did against Rahman. The only time Ali koed someone with one punch was during that dodgy ko against Liston and a very over the hill Williams

you are such a stupid clown, your posts are all laughable

mrboxer
08-09-2010, 11:08 AM
How do you rate Ali's punching power on a whole? Only ever man to stop Bonavnea & Foreman. Is he a underrated puncher?ali had very good punching power,with his lighting fast hands, and with precicion like accuracy he woukld be able to kayo someone with a shot that no one sees coming,he may not have had the one punch power as say shavers,tyson,or foreman but with the two combined ingrediants of speed and accuracy his punch would rock his opponants and usually stop them in their tracks:boxing:

Joeyzagz
08-09-2010, 11:29 AM
For a Heavyweight Ali had below average power.

His contemporaries: Frazier, Foreman, Liston, Shavers were far superior in that department, but Ali has nothing to be ashamed of since he beat them all.

boxing boy
08-09-2010, 03:13 PM
Ali had a good right hand.At times he showed good punching power,and at other times looked like he lacked a good punch.

Average punching power at best.Without a good right hand,he couldn't punch.

He won by TKO and a few KO's by an accumulation of punches over many rounds.

them_apples
08-09-2010, 03:16 PM

he had a good right hand. That was his money Punch. I know he put Bonevena out with a good left hook but in general his only good shot was his straight right.

Ali had incredible accuracy with it. Such google Ali images and there are probably a ton of images of him landing his right cross directly on the chin. I know he did it to Frazier and Foreman a lot.

prinzemanspopa
08-09-2010, 04:29 PM
A virtual featherfist throughout most of his career.In his prime,he had his legs and was sharp,accurate and consistent enough to cause harm over the duration of a fight.

The chunky 70's version had only a fraction of the handspeed,timing and accuracy of the peak version.Sometimes,sitting down on his punches was a necessity.

The hardest punches he ever threw were against Foreman,Bonavena and Chuvalo in the rematch.He actually cornered Chuvalo at one point and unleashed a vicious assault in the attempt of stopping him.

Stil featherfisted,though.

TheHolyCross
08-09-2010, 04:31 PM
i honestly dont know, it's confusing because tho he is ko'ing people, the ko's look so unimpressive and most of the times just looks like the guys are faking

so i dunno what to tell you :dunno:

Boogie Nights
08-09-2010, 08:24 PM
I'd say he had average power, tends to get under rated though.

Disagree with this, Pernell Whitaker I feel had decent power to get more of his opponents out of there but he seemed to love being in the ring so much that he would make it go the distance.gonna have to disagree with that, the fact that most of pernell's fights went the distance had nothing to do with his love of the ring, it had everything to do with him knowing that he had the best chance of winning by using defence and skills instead of making himself vulnerable in a slugfest.

again no boxer likes to do more than he has too, when you're in a boxing ring fighting for money through hurt there's nothing there to love.

point being, if a fighter can get his man out of there he will.

Boogie Nights
08-09-2010, 08:29 PM
lol thread is getting out of hand here.

lewis punched harder than ali period. Forget P4P, it's a term that old geezers came up with to rank fighters, being the same weight, height, age blah blah blah

jeez most of those fighters wouldnt be the fighters they ultimately were had they been any different from their genetical pool

i hate sometimes how this whole P4P bs is used, especially in cases like this.

Calilloyd
08-09-2010, 09:40 PM

Yes. Not a huge puncher but hard enough to hurt or do damage. First fighter to drop Wepner, and stop Bonevena, Lyle, and Foreman.

Calilloyd
08-09-2010, 09:41 PM
Oleg Maskaev poleaxed Rahman TWICE in far more devastating fashion than Lewis ever did.

No he didn't. Lewis did it 4 rounds.

Calilloyd
08-09-2010, 09:46 PM

No way. Lewis didn't have much power? The history section has been deteriorating with comments like this.

Calilloyd
08-09-2010, 09:51 PM
sonny liston?

who did lewis ever not TKO besides an older tyson and rahman to even be deemed a great puncher?

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gNMH_hRODeM&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gNMH_hRODeM&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

them_apples
08-09-2010, 11:39 PM
Lewis IMO was a heavier puncher than Ali, but Ali had speed to set his punches up better.

If I was given a choice too take a punch though, I'd opt for Ali's over Lewis 84' reach hammering into my face.

IMO Lewis was a heavy puncher, he should rank amongst punchers. I just don't see him as a KO artist. He didn't always look for the KO for fear of getting tagged himself.

Megamasterking
08-10-2010, 12:17 AM
I think that Ali had more power than most people think, because he was so fast, he was not a small man either, 6` 3 and 215, a very fast boxer who is that big must hit very hard. Watch a fight with Ali and right after watch a Klitschko fight, the speed difference is just crazy. Also don't forget this ! Punch = 1/2 M.V≤ M=mass V=speed

Spartacus Sully
08-10-2010, 08:24 AM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gNMH_hRODeM&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gNMH_hRODeM&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Eh decent highlights video but like i dont know these people and if they got back up or what.

though even with that after watching the video i cant with sane mind still claim ali to be more powerful then lewis.

id put lewis above foreman but i dont really rate foreman that high either. lewis was an above average puncher at best and really shouldnt be ranked with great heavies like dempsey marciano and louis who had the skill to throw great technique ruled punches just like lewis but also had the skill to throw wild hooks, which most importanly connected, didnt leave them selfs open, and put people out with a single hit.

Calilloyd
08-10-2010, 12:48 PM
Eh decent highlights video but like i dont know these people and if they got back up or what.[/U]
though even with that after watching the video i cant with sane mind still claim ali to be more powerful then lewis.

id put lewis above foreman but i dont really rate foreman that high either. lewis was an above average puncher at best and really shouldnt be ranked with great heavies like dempsey marciano and louis who had the skill to throw great technique ruled punches just like lewis but also had the skill to throw wild hooks, which most importanly connected, didnt leave them selfs open, and put people out with a single hit.

Which is why you shouldn't comment on things you know nothing about. You obviously have watched very little of Lewis. If you don't know who fighters like Golota, Shannon Briggs, Frank Bruno, Tommy Morrison, or Razor Ruddock are, it shows how little you do know. And you keep questioning whether they "got up" They all get up eventually unless they're dead. You're going to sit here and say none of Dempsey's opponents "got up?" Claiming Foreman and Lewis had little punching power is ignorant. Sorry. You think you're clever making these absurd statements but it really makes you look like an idiot. And make up your mind on Lewis. First you said he had little power but after you were exposed on that one, you now say he was "above average?" You can't get your lies straight can you?

Spartacus Sully
08-10-2010, 02:06 PM
Which is why you shouldn't comment on things you know nothing about. You obviously have watched very little of Lewis. If you don't know who fighters like Golota, Shannon Briggs, Frank Bruno, Tommy Morrison, or Razor Ruddock are, it shows how little you do know. And you keep questioning whether they "got up" They all get up eventually unless they're dead. You're going to sit here and say none of Dempsey's opponents "got up?" Claiming Foreman and Lewis had little punching power is ignorant. Sorry. You think you're clever making these absurd statements but it really makes you look like an idiot. And make up your mind on Lewis. First you said he had little power but after you were exposed on that one, you now say he was "above average?" You can't get your lies straight can you?

no but seriously it really is quite fun making absurd statements like george foreman just spun his opponets around and pushed them down that and not that lewis had much punching power. theres some truth to it if lewis trained to know when to throw a wider hook and close his fist the moment he hit he probly would have completely taken out alot more opponents instead of just staggered with a ref in between.

I dont think ive said anything about "got up" just tko's.

Calilloyd
08-10-2010, 02:17 PM
no but seriously it really is quite fun making absurd statements like george foreman just spun his opponets around and pushed them down that and not that lewis had much punching power. theres some truth to it if lewis trained to know when to throw a wider hook and close his fist the moment he hit he probly would have completely taken out alot more opponents instead of just staggered with a ref in between.

I dont think ive said anything about "got up" just tko's.

There's no truth to it. And the video's clearly show that. And yes you did say something about whether the fighters "got up". It's a just a few post back. Forgot that already? And it's not the first time you used that line. And Lewis knocked a lot of fighters cold. Again you don't know what you're talking about. And don't pretend like your heroes Dempsey and Williard knocked all of their opponents cold.

Originally Posted by Ruby Robert;9011139 if they got back up or what

Spartacus Sully
08-10-2010, 02:46 PM
There's no truth to it. And the video's clearly show that. And yes you did say something about whether the fighters "got up". It's a just a few post back. Forgot that already? And it's not the first time you used that line. And Lewis knocked a lot of fighters cold. Again you don't know what you're talking about. And don't pretend like your heroes Dempsey and Williard knocked all of their opponents cold.

Originally Posted by Ruby Robert;9011139 if they got back up or what

guess i did.

but really the point was that its a highlight video, i could be watching the same punch 8 times from diffrent angles its supposed to make the guy look good.

johnson was clearly poleaxed by willard as well as willard having killed john young with a single right upper cut.

and im sure plenty of dempseys 46 ko's were down for way more then the count.

compared to lennoxe's 11? ko's.

WladIsTheChamp
08-10-2010, 03:01 PM
Very overrated, especially considering that most of the people he fought were under 200 and some as light as 177, so getting 60% KO ratio is not that impressive at all.

He was the first generation of super heavies who could fight. He was 6'3" and a solid 200 early in his career (then 220 as he matured), when most HWs of his time were still Marcianno-size HWs. He had the size advantage over most of his opponents.

If he was put into today's era (1990-today), he would be a Chris Byrd-type of HW: he could win a belt against the Lewis' and Klitschkos' of the world through speed and skill and a little luck (injury of his opponents) but he wouldn't dominate the way he did back in the day.

His biggest asset was his showmanship and gift of gab.

Calilloyd
08-10-2010, 03:12 PM
Very overrated, especially considering that most of the people he fought were under 200 and some as light as 177, so getting 60% KO ratio is not that impressive at all.

He was the first generation of super heavies who could fight. He was 6'3" and a solid 200 early in his career (then 220 as he matured), when most HWs of his time were still Marcianno-size HWs. He had the size advantage over most of his opponents.

If he was put into today's era (1990-today), he would be a Chris Byrd-type of HW: he could win a belt against the Lewis' and Klitschkos' of the world through speed and skill and a little luck (injury of his opponents) but he wouldn't dominate the way he did back in the day.

His biggest asset was his showmanship and gift of jab.

Fixed it for you.

Calilloyd
08-10-2010, 04:30 PM
guess i did.

but really the point was that its a highlight video, i could be watching the same punch 8 times from diffrent angles its supposed to make the guy look good.

johnson was clearly poleaxed by willard as well as willard having killed john young with a single right upper cut.

and im sure plenty of dempseys 46 ko's were down for way more then the count.

compared to lennoxe's 11? ko's.

How many of Dempseys 46 Ko's have you seen on film to confirm this? And what do you mean by Lewis "11 ko's?" Guessing again? You didn't even know who Lewis opponents were on that video which lets me know you've never seen him fight. Or just relying on boxrec and running with it. That's what people do when they actually haven't seen a fight. So they look up the fights on Boxrec and create their version of fights from that. I'm pretty sure that's what you're doing.

The_Demon
08-10-2010, 04:39 PM
you are such a stupid clown, your posts are all laughable

No,your posts are laughable,all you do is troll the history section hating on someone because one of your favourite fighters ducked him

Lewis had big power and i believe ali was a good puncher also but ironmike doesnt-dont get so upset about it you pathetic hater

Miburo
08-10-2010, 06:09 PM
Average - but any natural heavyweight has power compared to fighters in the lighter weight classes. Even a relatively light puncher like Ali could do damage.

IronWolverine
08-12-2010, 11:15 AM
average power,but with time they can be davastating

Hot Shyt
08-12-2010, 01:23 PM
In that Frazier documentary, him and Ken Norton both said Ali wasnt a heavy puncher

SBleeder
08-12-2010, 02:32 PM
In that Frazier documentary, him and Ken Norton both said Ali wasnt a heavy puncher

Joe Frazier would say that Ali slept with donkeys if the question were posed to him.

Hot Shyt
08-12-2010, 02:46 PM
I know, but doesNorton have a hatred for Ali? I dont see a reason why he would say that if it werent true.

NChristo
08-12-2010, 02:50 PM
I know, but doesNorton have a hatred for Ali? I dont see a reason why he would say that if it werent true.

Norton said in "Facing Ali" that he owes everything to Ali and that it was an honor to step into the ring with him.

Vadrigar.
08-12-2010, 02:53 PM
Norton said in "Facing Ali" that he owes everything to Ali and that it was an honor to step into the ring with him.

Frank: You also say in your book that you and Ali are good friends today. Is it true that he was one of the first to come and see you in the hospital after your terrible car accident in 1986?

Norton: Thatís very true.

Link to the full interview is blocked :dunno:

Hot Shyt
08-12-2010, 03:09 PM

Exactly. So there would be no point in Norton making that comment if it werent true.