View Full Version : Is Prince Naseem Hamed overrated?

'Sugar' Freddi
08-08-2010, 09:33 PM
What do you think? He was embarrassed by MAB, probably the only name worth on his resume.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dt8bk5ZwLIo&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dt8bk5ZwLIo&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

War Dinamita
08-08-2010, 09:37 PM
I think the dude is really overrated. He was exposed by MAB and got KD multiple times by Kelley. I also feel he would've been out-boxed by JMM and got KO by Morales.

>Right Jab<
08-08-2010, 09:43 PM
He's underrated. Big wow, he got took apart by one of the great lower fighters of all time, while past his very best.

He ruled the Featherweight division with a iron fist in the 90's. Basilcally unified the division, beating every champion. And his resume of wins, is quite impressive.....Kevin Kelly, Manuel Medina, Wilfredo Vasquez, Tom Johnson.

Tom Johnson & Wilfredo Vasquez, should 1 day be in the IBHOF.

His only ever losss, it to ATG. Naz was never beaten by a tomato can, a sub par fighter or a contender, he was only beaten by the best.

He also brought a whole new level of excitment to boxing aswell.

BigStereotype
I don't really think so, only because BS members don't tend to rank him that high in the first place. I think he was very overrated when he was fighting, though. He never stood a chance against MAB, but was the favorite going in.

Tyson.
No.

He had tremendous power for a featherweight and had great reflexes. He has a better resume than the person in your avator Calzaghe and will be remembered alot longer thats for sure. At least he wasnt scared to come to America and fight the best.

MAB didnt embarass him either it was a 8-4 fight, by that stage Hamed having made tons of money had lost his hunger and wasnt training properly.

prinzemanspopa
08-08-2010, 10:23 PM
probably the only name worth on his resume.

Qoutes like this demonstrate why Hamed is so underrated.Naseem Hamed is the only fighter who can go an entire career beating other top contenders,other world titlists, and still have his resume picked apart by and treated as if he never fought a genuine world class opponent before Marco Antonio Barrera.

How bad does it make Barrera look to know that the man who holds two victories over him was undone by some nobody that got dominated and had the sense knocked out of him by Hamed?

Barrera thoroughly outboxing Hamed says more about Barrera's capabilities rather than Hamed's inabilities.

Steak
08-09-2010, 12:47 PM
actually, nowadays Hamed is very underrated. people look at the Barrera fight as if that sums up his entire career, but the guy was very accomplished. his wins over Steve robinson, Manuel Medina, Tom Johnson, Kevin Kelley, Wilfredo Vasquez, Cesar Soto, Paul Ingle and Vuyani Bungu were all top wins at the time.

he more or less cleaned out the division. Only guys he missed out on were Espanoza(who was beaten by Cesar Soto, who Hamed beat not long after) and JMM(who dropped a decision to Freddie Norwood halfway up the rankings, and wasnt that highly rated at the time)

I didnt like him either, because hes a jackass. but he was actually the most accomplished featherweight since Salvador Sanchez.

CarlosG815
08-09-2010, 01:06 PM
Naz was one of the most entertaining fighters in the history of the sport. Over rated, not at all. There was nobody who could match him in his prime. He reminds me of Tyson in how he lost interest in fighting thus his lackluster performance against mab and even being knocked down by Kevin Kelly. Had he trained seriously and taken a rematch against mab it could have easily went the other way or ended in Barrera being knocked out.

I miss Hamed in the boxing world.

Cherry Picker
08-09-2010, 01:17 PM
No.

He had tremendous power for a featherweight and had great reflexes. He has a better resume than the person in your avator Calzaghe and will be remembered alot longer thats for sure. At least he wasnt scared to come to America and fight the best.

MAB didnt embarass him either it was a 8-4 fight, by that stage Hamed having made tons of money had lost his hunger and wasnt training properly.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

'Sugar' Freddi
08-09-2010, 01:27 PM
But even if you have power and great skill, if you haven't beaten some worthy opponents, it doesn't help at all.

Cherry Picker
08-09-2010, 01:29 PM
But even if you have power and great skill, if you haven't beaten some worthy opponents, it doesn't help at all.

You need to check his resume out. You really don't know what you are talking about at all.

NChristo
08-09-2010, 01:32 PM
I'd say he is ranked accordingly.

'Sugar' Freddi
08-09-2010, 01:45 PM
You need to check his resume out. You really don't know what you are talking about at all.

I think I know what I'm talking about because some people consider him one of the greatest featherweights and that's a disgrace.

The_Demon
08-09-2010, 01:52 PM
He's underrated. Big wow, he got took apart by one of the great lower fighters of all time, while past his very best.

He ruled the Featherweight division with a iron fist in the 90's. Basilcally unified the division, beating every champion. And his resume of wins, is quite impressive.....Kevin Kelly, Manuel Medina, Wilfredo Vasquez, Tom Johnson.

Tom Johnson & Wilfredo Vasquez, should 1 day be in the IBHOF.

His only ever losss, it to ATG. Naz was never beaten by a tomato can, a sub par fighter or a contender, he was only beaten by the best.

He also brought a whole new level of excitment to boxing aswell.

Hit the nail on the head

Tyson.
08-09-2010, 01:59 PM
I think I know what I'm talking about because some people consider him one of the greatest featherweights and that's a disgrace.

Hamed is one of the greatest featherweight of all time.

Obviously you dont know much about boxing if you think thats a disgrace.

The Nimble Guru
08-09-2010, 02:05 PM
Never beaten at his own weight. He couldn't have proven much more in his era.

'Sugar' Freddi
08-09-2010, 02:07 PM
Hamed is one of the greatest featherweight of all time.

Obviously you dont know much about boxing if you think thats a disgrace.

Kevin Kelley was past that fight and still gave Naz so many problems, KOing him down a couple of times. His big name on the resume is obviously Barrera who handed his ass to him.

Yes, he had great power and skill, was as well fun to watch but I think he never reached his full potential, sadly.

Cherry Picker
08-09-2010, 02:10 PM
Kevin Kelley was past that fight and still gave Naz so many problems, KOing him down a couple of times. His big name on the resume is obviously Barrera who handed his ass to him.

Yes, he had great power and skill, was as well fun to watch but I think he never reached his full potential, sadly.

http://4gifs.com/gallery/d/33251-1/dumbass.jpg? (http://4gifs.com)

Forza
08-09-2010, 03:15 PM
The 1st guy he fought that wasn't a part time cab driver, flattened him.

Yes, he was the most overrated FW that ever lived. He didn't rule anybody, except bums from the UK in the 90s.

venom1
08-09-2010, 03:19 PM
how did i know when i saw this thread it would be overrated, the guy is far from overrated and one of the best boxers ever and he was ****ing about half the time and wasting energy dancing before he had fights so please tell me someone who does this apart from hector cumacho?

Forza
08-09-2010, 03:33 PM
how did i know when i saw this thread it would be overrated, the guy is far from overrated and one of the best boxers ever and he was ****ing about half the time and wasting energy dancing before he had fights so please tell me someone who does this apart from hector cumacho?

Who has he beaten? All that dancing and flashy stuff did nothing to help him when MAB beat his ass.

BigStereotype
08-09-2010, 05:19 PM
Ok, all time P4P puncher, no doubt about that. But you can't deny that his resume leaves a bit to be desired. The four great featherweights of the early 2000's (MAB, Morales, JMM and Pac-Man) were all light-years ahead of him.

Tyson.
08-09-2010, 05:27 PM
Ok, all time P4P puncher, no doubt about that. But you can't deny that his resume leaves a bit to be desired. The four great featherweights of the early 2000's (MAB, Morales, JMM and Pac-Man) were all light-years ahead of him.

His resume is very good. 10-1 against titlists with 8kos.

Ability wise no they werent light-years ahead of him.

BigStereotype
08-09-2010, 06:27 PM
Maybe not talent-wise (especially JMM), but certainly accomplishment and skillwise. Prince Naseem was the most athletic fighter of the last 20 years outside of Roy Jones and maybe Pacquiao, I don't dispute that. I also don't dispute that he was a blast to watch. But can you argue that any one of those four wouldn't pick him apart? Pacquiao might get caught (at featherweight, pound-for-pound, prime-for-prime, it's no contest), but other than that, they would all destroy him.

Steak
08-09-2010, 06:51 PM
Who has he beaten? All that dancing and flashy stuff did nothing to help him when MAB beat his ass.

his wins over Steve robinson, Manuel Medina, Tom Johnson, Kevin Kelley, Wilfredo Vasquez, Cesar Soto, Paul Ingle and Vuyani Bungu were all top wins at the time.

he more or less cleaned out the division. Only guys he missed out on were Espanoza(who was beaten by Cesar Soto, who Hamed beat not long after) and JMM(who dropped a decision to Freddie Norwood halfway up the rankings, and wasnt that highly rated at the time)

throughout the 90s, during his title reign, these guys were the best out there. not until 2000 did Morales, MAB, and Pacquiao move up to featherweight.

and although I loved the performances, Barrera didnt quite dominate Hamed. clearly, obviously won...but not dominate.
I think Morales would have definitely won, but I can see both Marquez and Pacquiao having trouble with Hamed at featherweight.

talip bin osman
08-09-2010, 10:04 PM
when he was still active, he was...

but now we should now better...

talip bin osman
08-09-2010, 10:10 PM

i actually rate brother nazeem higher than jmm @ 126 in terms of accomplishments...

BigStereotype
08-09-2010, 10:39 PM
Hamed =/= Brother Naazim...

Naazim Richardson is Sugar Shane's trainer, the one who said that Floyd would turn into a dragon. Incidentally, he was totally right, Shane just couldn't step on his tail or dodge the fireballs, haha.

But you might be right, but I still think that Marquez is greater than Hamed at 126. I'm a little biased here, but I feel like his performance against Pacquiao proves that he could get up off the floor against Hamed and outbox him MAB style.

talip bin osman
08-09-2010, 10:45 PM

Naazim Richardson is Sugar Shane's trainer, the one who said that Floyd would turn into a dragon. Incidentally, he was totally right, Shane just couldn't step on his tail or dodge the fireballs, haha.

But you might be right, but I still think that Marquez is greater than Hamed at 126. I'm a little biased here, but I feel like his performance against Pacquiao proves that he could get up off the floor against Hamed and outbox him MAB style.

i know what u are talking about man... but u must understand im a muslim too... i call these guys brothers...

anyway, in a P4P sense, the quartet uve mentioned may well be ahead of brother nazeem... but at 126 its just right hamed should be ranked higher than pacquiao and marquez...

BigStereotype
08-10-2010, 01:06 AM
Oh, alright. Didn't mean to bust your balls or anything and I might agree with you about featherweight rankings. H2H though, Pac-Man and Marquez hand him his ass.

Tyson.
08-10-2010, 08:19 AM

How is Marquez greater? Who has he beat at 126?

While Hamed was cleaning out the divsion in the 90s, JMM was fighting bums. It was only after Naz retired did JMM step up his competiton. Pacquiao was a green one-handed fighter then, Hamed hits harder than Pacquiao if he lands the same shots on JMM its lights out.

Oh, alright. Didn't mean to bust your balls or anything and I might agree with you about featherweight rankings. H2H though, Pac-Man and Marquez hand him his ass.

How does Marquez hand him his ass when he was going 12 rounds with bums at featherweight. Hamed would compete with anyone at featherweight prime for prime. You do reaslise when comparing them against common opponents Naz fought them earlier and beat them with greater ease.

venom1
08-10-2010, 12:40 PM

Barrera put the work rate in though, Naseem didn't even do the hard training camps like other fighters he liked to cut corners and take easy routes, he did it all on talent alone not work rate imagine he actually put elbow grease you guys would be loving him up right now, in my eyes he's much much more talented than Aamir Khan, Khan wishes he had a smuch talent as Naseem and not to mention he didn't fight regularly and if it isn't obvious already.........he was involved with Frank Warren who is the death of any boxer wanting to become world champ.

-Lowkey-
08-10-2010, 12:44 PM
he is overrated by some underrated by others