View Full Version : Fighters Who Were So Close To Victory, But Had It Snatched Away?

MeccaOfBoxing
08-08-2010, 01:57 AM
Name fighters who were so close to a victory, but had it snatched away from them, when winning comfortable/easy. Don't name robbries/bad decisions

The obvious on is Meldrick Taylor vs Chavez. But try and name a few others.

I'll start
Micheal Moorer vs George Foreman
Yvon Durelle vs Archie Moore
Jermain Taylor vs Carl Froch
Herol Grahem vs Julian Jackson/Charles Brewer
Ron Lyle vs Muhammad Ali

Anthony342
08-08-2010, 02:14 AM
Chavez vs. Taylor 1. I still hate Richard Steele for that horrible decision. He had that 10 second light right in front of him and Taylor earned the right to continue. Chavez even called that fight a gift later.

Just thought of another one. Toney/Nunn. Nunn was ahead and then Toney landed that monster left hook to put Nunn on the canvas and followed up with some hard shots to get the stoppage in the 11th.

Jersey Joe Walcott was also comfortably ahead in the first fight with Marciano for the heavyweight title and got knocked out by Rocky in the
13th.

Ricardo Rivera also was close to stopping Kevin Kelley in the 6th. Kelley weathered the storm and made the comeback with a monster left in the 9th for the KO win.

I remember an Arturo Gatti fight he was losing and hurt bad where he changed it with one shot, I think against Wilson Rodriguez where he pulled off a left hook and finished the guy off in the next round.

Miburo
08-08-2010, 02:21 AM
LaMotta-Dauthuille II - KO 15 in the final minute.

MeccaOfBoxing
08-08-2010, 02:25 AM
LaMotta-Dauthuille II - KO 15 in the final minute.

Great pick!!!!

Thread Stealer
08-08-2010, 03:03 AM
Mike Weaver-John Tate
John David Jackson-Jorge Castro 1

Vadrigar.
08-08-2010, 05:19 AM
Carl Froch vs Jermain Taylor

1SILVA
08-08-2010, 06:50 AM
Name fighters who were so close to a victory, but had it snatched away from them, when winning comfortable/easy. Don't name robbries/bad decisions

The obvious on is Meldrick Taylor vs Chavez. But try and name a few others.

I'll start
Micheal Moorer vs George Foreman
Yvon Durelle vs Archie Moore
Jermain Taylor vs Carl Froch
Librado Andrade vs Lucian Bute I
Herol Grahem vs Julian Jackson/Charles Brewer
Ron Lyle vs Muhammad Ali
Howard Davis vs Edwin Rosario. Davis gets knocked down with seconds left in the fighting, causing him to lose the fight by split decision. He was winning the round up to that point.

Thread Stealer
08-08-2010, 07:09 AM
In Chacon-Limon 4 and Vazquez-Marquez 3, both Limon and Marquez were dropped within the last 15 seconds of the fight (Marquez within the last 10).

They both lost on the cards by one point.

BigStereotype
08-08-2010, 11:49 AM
Jermain Taylor was so close to knocking out Kelly Pavlik in the third (?) round of their first fight and then Pavlik came back to finish him off. Maybe not what you were looking for, but it's what I first thought of after Chavez-Taylor (which I think of as the right decision).

Bronsky
08-08-2010, 12:50 PM
Carlos Tejron vs Shemuel Pagan 2010 ny golden gloves.
figure I'd break up the monotony of pro boxing.

MeccaOfBoxing
08-08-2010, 12:51 PM
Carlos Tejron vs Shemuel Pagan 2010 ny golden gloves.
figure I'd break up the monotony of pro boxing.

What happened?

purecyse
08-09-2010, 06:51 PM
castillo - corrales I :
to have a dead opponent come back and do what corrales did to castillo...

leonard - hearns I :
though the middle rounds were closer than many remembered, the win was there for hearns to take had he not, apparently, gassed out.

andrade - bute I :
bute dominated every round but was slowly being worn down by the non-stop pressure of andrade. in the 12 round, bute is dead, just trying to hold on for a decision. andrade finally drops him...BOOM! a strange call by the ref gives bute a while to recover as the clock runs down on the round. could have been stopped like taylor - chavez and this would have been the other way around.

soto - lorenzo :
joe cortez.

catalinul
08-09-2010, 07:03 PM
Alejandro Lakatos-Hugo Garay

Hector Camacho-Greg Haugen I