View Full Version : Toney vs Holyfield: What do you think of this fight?

Toney616
08-06-2010, 09:31 AM
http://www.boxingsbestdvds.com/images/career-toney6.jpg
Watched this fight again the other day, Toney put on a boxing masterclass, but I have to admit that Evander was very past prime at that time in his career

I admired Toney's use of:
Feints
Slipping/rolling
Bodypunching
Counters

Off topic: Evander fought a very dirty fight as well, he was consistently trying to headbutt Toney from round 2 onwards

1SILVA
08-06-2010, 12:39 PM
http://www.boxingsbestdvds.com/images/career-toney6.jpg
Watched this fight again the other day, Toney put on a boxing masterclass, but I have to admit that Evander was very past prime at that time in his career

I admired Toney's use of:
Feints
Slipping/rolling
Bodypunching
Counters

Off topic: Evander fought a very dirty fight as well, he was consistently trying to headbutt Toney from round 2 onwards

A total one-sided beating

Toney616
08-06-2010, 12:58 PM
A total one-sided beating
True
Toney reminded me of Walcott with the some of the tricks he used in during that fight

prinzemanspopa
08-06-2010, 01:33 PM
I don't think fighters should be credited with performances,regardless of how impressive that may have looked, against completely shot fighters.It's quite disturbing how many people do credit Toney for beating up on this zombie of a past legend.

God knows what a prime Holy,or even the Holyfield of four years previous,would have done to Toney.

Steak
08-06-2010, 01:45 PM
Holyfield was definitely way past his best, but considering he went on to get robbed in the Valuev fight like 5 years later...and that no one has beaten him up as badly as Toney did since...

I mean, it was still a pretty darn good performance, even if Holyfield was most definitely a shell of himself. best HW version of Toney, for sure.

HaglerSteelChin
08-06-2010, 01:47 PM
Calling Holyfield dirty and praising Toney is like the pot calling the kettle black. Toney was a roider and that is not speculation, he had his decision over Ruiz declared a no contest for testing positive for banned substance Stanozolol. His excuse about the doctor giving it for his arm was comical. Holy also had ped speculation with the evan fields scandal, but it was never proven.

Toney called Ruiz a fighter that Don King found in a garbage can, yet he needed steroids to win. Toney is one of the most class less men to ever lace it up. The way he also threw the mic from Jim Gray's hand to the floor was also indicative of that. Although Gray is no angel himself (ie pete rose incident.)

Miburo
08-06-2010, 01:59 PM
Calling Holyfield dirty and praising Toney is like the pot calling the kettle black. Toney was a roider and that is not speculation, he had his decision over Ruiz declared a no contest for testing positive for banned substance Stanozolol. His excuse about the doctor giving it for his arm was comical. Holy also had ped speculation with the evan fields scandal, but it was never proven.

Toney called Ruiz a fighter that Don King found in a garbage can, yet he needed steroids to win. Toney is one of the most class less men to ever lace it up. The way he also threw the mic from Jim Gray's hand to the floor was also indicative of that. Although Gray is no angel himself (ie pete rose incident.)

Riiiight. You do realize it was medically prescribed for an injury :lol1: Lots of legitimate things will cause you to test positive man, in fact I take allergy medication almost daily that would cause me to piss hot in sports.

HaglerSteelChin
08-06-2010, 02:04 PM
Riiiight. You do realize it was medically prescribed for an injury :lol1: Lots of legitimate things will cause you to test positive man, in fact I take allergy medication almost daily that would cause me to piss hot in sports.

Don't you think a doctor and athlete who have brains would know that can possibly make you test positive? I took briefly predisone for allergy/asthma related symptoms, yet i would know to talk to my doc and say give me something not related to any roids. I don't buy toney's story, but everyone entitled to opinion.

Sugarj
08-06-2010, 02:35 PM
It was a superb fight, I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was a boxing masterclass from Toney.

It was sad to see Holyfield stopped, but Toney was art that night.

Tobi.G
08-06-2010, 02:51 PM
It was a superb fight, I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was a boxing masterclass from Toney.

It was sad to see Holyfield stopped, but Toney was art that night.

I agree! That was one of Toneys best performances ever! Holyfield was shot, but he remained manny years after that and was still good enough to beat Valuev and others, a fight in which he was robbed. Nobody ´has beaten Holyfield as impressive as Toney did. But Toney was never the same since then, he always came out of shape and now hes a shot fighter as well who will fight at MMA!!! Its sad that Toney took PED but the way he fought, his skills and his style, always nice to watch and verry impressive, even when he was totally out of shape he fought better than anyone would think. He would just stand there but still it was verry hard to hit him and then his counter abilities! A born fighter, and also a funny and one of the best trash talker!
I liked Toney as a cruiserweight, the fight against Jirov was terrific!

Boss Don
08-06-2010, 02:58 PM
fuk the fight did you see the post fight interview? "I got milk baby" - James Toney

Toney616
08-06-2010, 03:08 PM
Calling Holyfield dirty and praising Toney is like the pot calling the kettle black
great stuff:rofl::rofl:

Miburo
08-07-2010, 04:48 AM
Don't you think a doctor and athlete who have brains would know that can possibly make you test positive? I took briefly predisone for allergy/asthma related symptoms, yet i would know to talk to my doc and say give me something not related to any roids. I don't buy toney's story, but everyone entitled to opinion.

What does it matter - it's clear it wasn't something which aided his performance in any way. This is Toney we're talking about, he's off in his own world and probably didn't even think it could be an issue.

sonnyboyx2
08-07-2010, 06:06 AM
Holyfield was suffering from a torn rotator cuff

r.burgundy
08-07-2010, 06:15 AM
i think it became more impressive in time.holyfield actually looked decent fighting oquendo,and looked good in fighting valuev,arguably winning that fight

BennyST
08-07-2010, 12:01 PM
Holyfield was suffering from a torn rotator cuff

That's racist!

Although, on the fight itself....Yes, Toney looked good (that's racist!) but Holyfield not only had the left hook to beat him but the stamina and counter punching with the right and left hands to beat Toney at HW, if he was prime.

You could see in the first round or two the way the double left hook worked, but he just couldn't keep it up and throwing lots was not in him anymore. Amazing performance by Toney, but it's both amazing only because it's a former MW and because he actually stopped him. Though he just gave up when it comes down to it.

Wait! No he didn't! Fighters don't give up especially one like Holyfield. Only losers give up! :twak:

NChristo
08-07-2010, 12:09 PM
That's racist!

Lol Benny, what are all these comments about ?.

BennyST
08-07-2010, 12:26 PM
Lol Benny, what are all these comments about ?.

I don't know to be honest. :dunno:

Well.......The last time I went on NSB the entire board was filled with racist accusations, you know? The floyd guys calling the Pac dudes racist and the Pac dudes calling the Floyd guys racist, then some psycho made some kind of black power thread (the black version of the KKK I guess), and then everyone went nuts!

Puerto Ricans calling the Cubans "One legged jockeys!" an the Argentinians calling the Spanish "Degenerate cobblers" while the Limeys called the Aussies "Two bit convict red necks". All one mess really.

I've simply decided to join together, as one in a beautiful cosmic orgy, of that nutism with the 'mob', 'unbathed masses' or 'common people'. Call them what you will.

NChristo
08-07-2010, 12:43 PM
I don't know to be honest. :dunno:

Well.......The last time I went on NSB the entire board was filled with racist accusations, you know? The floyd guys calling the Pac dudes racist and the Pac dudes calling the Floyd guys racist, then some psycho made some kind of black power thread (the black version of the KKK I guess), and then everyone went nuts!

Puerto Ricans calling the Cubans "One legged jockeys!" an the Argentinians calling the Spanish "Degenerate cobblers" while the Limeys called the Aussies "Two bit convict red necks". All one mess really.

I've simply decided to join together, as one in a beautiful cosmic orgy, of that nutism with the 'mob', 'unbathed masses' or 'common people'. Call them what you will.

Ah k I get it now. :boxing:

I remember that thread, where the guy was saying that all the African Americans have to segregate themselves from the rest and that they want their own Lounge, was like him and 1 other against the rest of NSB. Funny stuff.