View Full Version : Joe Calzaghe puts on a masterclass against Roy Jones

turdleburgle
08-02-2010, 08:07 PM
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cgOLCL_Pv1s&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cgOLCL_Pv1s&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

I stayed up late for this and I'll never forget it.Joe was brilliant that night and would have been a right handful for any great fighter in or around that weight class.

Joeyzagz
08-02-2010, 08:14 PM
Roy is only 3 years older than Joe, so I dont know why detractors always try to discredit this win.

Calzaghe wouldve beaten any version of Jones Post-2000.

T.McGrady
08-02-2010, 08:15 PM
traver, green, and johnon did better than calzaghe. If you land this much punches on this version of roy and can't finish him off, then you have a problem dude.

turdleburgle
08-02-2010, 08:18 PM
Roy is only 3 years older than Joe, so I dont know why detractors always try to discredit this win.

not to mention that roy looked brilliant against lacy and sheika following this fight.a prime jermain taylor couldnt stop lacy,roy did tho.

roy was still good at this time and joe was well past it too

T.McGrady
08-02-2010, 08:22 PM

Calzaghe never been up and down in weight. He never been Ko'd cold two times in a row. He never fought bigger guys. He never been punished the way jones did against tarver. Plus, sometimes age has nothing to do with being shot. Jones never been the same since his fight with ruiz. And you're wrong, cazlaghe would've lost to any version of roy before his campaign to HW.

T.McGrady
08-02-2010, 08:24 PM
not to mention that roy looked brilliant against lacy and sheika following this fight.a prime jermain taylor couldnt stop lacy,roy did tho.

roy was still good at this time and joe was well past it too

LOL lacy and sheika?! The last time roy beat a class A fighter was in 2003 when he beat tarver in the first fight.

Decision
08-02-2010, 08:26 PM
That was a shot version of Jones who hadn't beaten a top fighter in 4 years, while Calzaghe was coming off the best win of his career.

Prime for prime, Jones knocks out Calzaghe.

CarlosG815
08-02-2010, 10:30 PM
Prime Roy soaks the ring with Joe's blood then mops it up with his face.

Calzaghe can't hold a candle to Roy and as far as I'm concerned that win did nothing for Joe's career and legacy.

them_apples
08-03-2010, 02:39 AM
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cgOLCL_Pv1s&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cgOLCL_Pv1s&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

I stayed up late for this and I'll never forget it.Joe was brilliant that night and would have been a right handful for any great fighter in or around that weight class.

discraceful..jones is a shell of his former self

War Dinamita
08-03-2010, 02:43 AM
RJJ was old and past his prime when they fought. A prime RJJ beats his ass.

sonnyboyx2
08-03-2010, 04:50 AM

a fighters age is not deemed by anything other than the tough fights he has been in which is why George Foreman was able to win the title at age 45 because he had only been in 2 fights in his whole career which could be called "tough fights"... just like Lennox Lewis was able to fight into his late 30s because he never fought an opponent who was above Class C and when he eventually did face an opponent above that level he was hammered and sent into retirement by Vitali

#1Assassin
08-03-2010, 05:21 AM
a fighters age is not deemed by anything other than the tough fights he has been in which is why George Foreman was able to win the title at age 45 because he had only been in 2 fights in his whole career which could be called "tough fights"... just like Lennox Lewis was able to fight into his late 30s because he never fought an opponent who was above Class C and when he eventually did face an opponent above that level he was hammered and sent into retirement by Vitali

evander holyfield, tony tucker, razor ruddock, tommy morrison etc were all just as good or better than vitali and lewis beat them convincingly. he looked bad against vitali cuz he was past his prime and out of shape, he underestimated vitali. once he realized he wasnt gonna knock him out early lewis took control and was clearly on his way to a KO win when it was stopped, lewis was always a slow starter anyways.

as for roy and joe, roy was clearly atleast 5 years past his prime. he was never the same after coming down from HW. his last good win was over tarver in 03, his last impressive performance against ruiz the same year and his last impressive performance at 175 in 02 against clinton woods. when did he fight joe? 2008? 2009? i dont really remember since it was such a BS matchup, but the point is roy was shot.

joes "masterpiece" (lol) is no more impressive than joppys "masterpiece" against a 50 year old duran, or berbicks "masterpiece" against a pill popping post parkinsons ali. joe went for a payday, thats all it is.

sonnyboyx2
08-03-2010, 06:56 AM
evander holyfield, tony tucker, razor ruddock, tommy morrison etc were all just as good or better than vitali and lewis beat them convincingly. he looked bad against vitali cuz he was past his prime and out of shape, he underestimated vitali. once he realized he wasnt gonna knock him out early lewis took control and was clearly on his way to a KO win when it was stopped, lewis was always a slow starter anyways.

as for roy and joe, roy was clearly atleast 5 years past his prime. he was never the same after coming down from HW. his last good win was over tarver in 03, his last impressive performance against ruiz the same year and his last impressive performance at 175 in 02 against clinton woods. when did he fight joe? 2008? 2009? i dont really remember since it was such a BS matchup, but the point is roy was shot.

joes "masterpiece" (lol) is no more impressive than joppys "masterpiece" against a 50 year old duran, or berbicks "masterpiece" against a pill popping post parkinsons ali. joe went for a payday, thats all it is.

Ruddock - Damaged Goods`after 2 brutal beatings by Tyson
Holyfield - years past his best
Tucker - Junkie
Morrison - on the downslide & HIV

Sam Donald
08-03-2010, 07:06 AM
Calzaghe deserves his props for his career. Hes the best SMW of all time and he would have given a prime roy jones a tough fight.

Your just a hater if you dont think so, hes a very good fighter. He did get dropped in the first but went on to dominate

However, we all know RJJ was way past it so you kind of get the idea of why people say he wouldnt last with a prime roy but thats just ifs and buts

turdleburgle
08-03-2010, 02:29 PM

hahahaha still hatin on lewis again mate? no surprise really you never give him credit for anything.dont blame you though because lewis must have bullied you real bad when you were at school with him.

joe had been in more tougher fights than roy.lightheavyweight wasnt he real weight either.

its funny how you say your british and yet you seem to hate on all british fighters

Tyson.
08-03-2010, 03:11 PM
I wouldnt say masterclass.

It was a pointless fight, there were better fighters out there for Calzaghe to fight.

sammiza567
08-03-2010, 03:40 PM
joe slappy has shammed much of the boxing world. most overrated fighter of all time bar none. spent the majority of his career fighting the local botm while frank warren feeds the fans bull**** about how the best dont want to fight joe. when in reality, joe and warren were asking way more than they deserved for big fights. back when roy and hopkins and toney were all around the same weight, where the **** was joe then. fighting in his hometown against bums. he didnt want a damn thing to do with those three before.

sammiza567
08-03-2010, 03:41 PM
its not even my opinion its called the facts of life. joe makes floyd look like marvin hagler as far as brave goes.

Zig Zag.
08-03-2010, 04:00 PM
lol at all the fat yanks hating.

have this :bottle::bottle::bottle:

Ziggy Stardust
08-03-2010, 04:46 PM
Smell nuthugging going down here :hypnotised9:

Poet

THE REED™
08-03-2010, 04:50 PM

Vargas was shot at 31... and Hopkins was still beating ass at 43... Age has ****all to do with someones prime.

Chunk..
08-03-2010, 04:52 PM

Boxers age and prime differently. Anyone with half a brain cell knows this.

Even Calzaghe doesn't put much tax into that win. He saw it as a big payday and that was it.

THE REED™
08-03-2010, 04:54 PM

Even Calzaghe doesn't put much tax into that win. He saw it as a big payday and that was it.

Hell two years earlier he was telling everyone Roy should retire he's done.

Addition
08-03-2010, 04:56 PM

From what I read Zag didn't get much of a payday.

The_Demon
08-03-2010, 05:01 PM
It was a past it roy jones,get over it

BigStereotype
08-04-2010, 10:31 AM
He obviously couldn't pull the trigger. Calzaghe was sticking his chin out to him. Is that something you think that a 100% - hell, even a 50% - Roy Jones would stand for? He looked pathetic, he never should have been in the ring. The win over Hopkins - fine. The win over Roy Jones, absolute **** as far as I'm concerned. It does absolutely nothing for his legacy.

RimmyDelicious
08-04-2010, 10:35 AM
Calzaghe always would have owned Roy, simply because he had the speed to match him. If you can hit Roy, and take his shots, you can beat him.

BigStereotype
08-04-2010, 10:45 AM
Calzaghe always would have owned Roy, simply because he had the speed to match him. If you can hit Roy, and take his shots, you can beat him.

1. Calzaghe was fast, but not Roy fast
2. When did anybody show that when Roy was at his best? You're just assuming that a blueprint for past-it Roy is the same as for a prime, effectively undefeated Roy?

Steak
08-04-2010, 10:59 AM
reminds me of Camacho vs Leonard.

THE REED™
08-04-2010, 01:26 PM

:lol1: :lol1:

The speed to match him... :rofl:

CarlosG815
08-04-2010, 02:34 PM

You once again show how ****ing stupid you are.

Roy is the fastest fighter in the history of boxing (yeah I said it).

His style was the closest thing to impossible to beat, which is why in his prime nobody beat him, and IMO nobody in the history of boxing was capable of beating Roy when he's at his best.

If you think Joe could touch a prime version of Roy then you really have zero credibility and you shouldn't even be posting on a boxing forum.

An argument could be made for Roy to be top 10 ATG and the GOAT in his prime weight classes.

The same cannot be said for Joey Zags.

IMDAZED
08-05-2010, 09:53 AM
You once again show how ****ing stupid you are.

Roy is the fastest fighter in the history of boxing (yeah I said it).

His style was the closest thing to impossible to beat, which is why in his prime nobody beat him, and IMO nobody in the history of boxing was capable of beating Roy when he's at his best.

If you think Joe could touch a prime version of Roy then you really have zero credibility and you shouldn't even be posting on a boxing forum.

An argument could be made for Roy to be top 10 ATG and the GOAT in his prime weight classes.

The same cannot be said for Joey Zags.

Rimmy is an idiot. Save your energy.

THE REED™
08-05-2010, 10:23 AM
Rimmy is an idiot. Save your energy.

When did this guy start to watch boxing?

Calzaghe could match his speed?

Whose speed?