View Full Version : These Fellow Fighters Are Greater Than Bernard Hopkins!

Southpaw Great
08-01-2010, 03:59 PM
Jimmy McLarnin
Michael Spinks
Salvador Sanchez
James J. Jeffries
Terry McGovern

True story.:boxing:

cooper5
08-01-2010, 06:13 PM
I guess it's a matter of opinion. As all ratings are when you compare any fighters from different eras. There is no true right or wrong because you are comparing them based on how they did fighting different opponents.

sonnyboyx2
08-02-2010, 02:03 AM
i would agree

Obama
08-02-2010, 02:55 AM
Stop being a hater. And what the hell is James J. Jeffries doing in that list? Do you have no concept of p4p? :nonono:

lolivivi
08-02-2010, 05:58 AM
I really enjoy the men's mucle .It's always show the power and strengh.Just beat it.

r.burgundy
08-02-2010, 08:07 AM
greater in terms of what?

JAB5239
08-02-2010, 05:29 PM
Jimmy McLarnin
Michael Spinks
Salvador Sanchez
James J. Jeffries
Terry McGovern

Im not a huge Hopkins fan but I would rate him above both Jeffries and Sanchez.

Southpaw Great
08-02-2010, 06:46 PM
Im not a huge Hopkins fan but I would rate him above both Jeffries and Sanchez.

Why? Jeffires beat the greater fighters and really should be unbeaten. His only lost is to Jack Johnson after a 6 year layoff, were got bullied to come out of retirement. Unlike Hopkins, Jeffries never got his title reign ended by a so so fighter in Jermain Taylor either and never got his title took off him.

Sanchez beat 3 Hall Of Famers, made 9 defences of his WBC Title and never lost the title. Again never got his title reign ended by a so so fighter in Jermain Taylor. And never lost his title.

Miburo
08-02-2010, 07:00 PM
I think his longevity puts him above all of them at this point. Maybe Spinks can be argued.

Obama
08-02-2010, 08:17 PM
Why? Jeffires beat the greater fighters and really should be unbeaten. His only lost is to Jack Johnson after a 6 year layoff, were got bullied to come out of retirement. Unlike Hopkins, Jeffries never got his title reign ended by a so so fighter in Jermain Taylor either and never got his title took off him.

Sanchez beat 3 Hall Of Famers, made 9 defences of his WBC Title and never lost the title. Again never got his title reign ended by a so so fighter in Jermain Taylor. And never lost his title.

You do realize Jeffries originally retired in his prime right? Bernard on the other hand was 40 when he lost to Taylor, who was far from "so so". Taylor was a damn good Middleweight. No one calls Ken Norton "so so" just because he couldn't deal with power punchers. Same **** with Jermain.

Furthermore Jeffries was actually a 220 lb HW in his prime. Prime great Heavyweights weren't that big until George Foreman came around.

JAB5239
08-02-2010, 10:21 PM

He wouldn't have had to come out of retirement had he fought Johnson or any other black contenders while he was champion. Jeff's longevity is also a huge question mark. He beat some excellent fighters yes, but he never proved he was more than a shooting star. Hopkins has been amongst the best fighters in whatever division he has been fighting in for the better part of two decades.

He was also dead at what 23 or 24? There is no proof he could have sustained his greatness as long as Hop has either. Not to mention Nard had more than twice as many defenses and will have more HOF names on his resume in a few years when more are eligible.

Miburo
08-02-2010, 11:46 PM
He was also dead at what 23 or 24? There is no proof he could have sustained his greatness as long as Hop has either. Not to mention Nard had more than twice as many defenses and will have more HOF names on his resume in a few years when more are eligible.

Gomez came up from super bantamweight and Nelson was a prospect with only thirteen fights too. Fairly comparable to the Trinidad/DLH combo when weighed imo.

JAB5239
08-03-2010, 03:23 AM
Gomez came up from super bantamweight and Nelson was a prospect with only thirteen fights too. Fairly comparable to the Trinidad/DLH combo when weighed imo.

I would agree about Hoya moving up to fight Hop, but not Tito. Trinidad proved he was a top fighter at 160 with his destruction of Joppy. Any way you look at it though Sanchez just doesn't have the longevity. Maybe he would have gone on and had a more impressive career had he lived. Unfortunately that isn't the case and Hopkins has had the longer, more distinguished career.

NChristo
08-03-2010, 07:51 AM
I would agree about Hoya moving up to fight Hop, but not Tito. Trinidad proved he was a top fighter at 160 with his destruction of Joppy. Any way you look at it though Sanchez just doesn't have the longevity. Maybe he would have gone on and had a more impressive career had he lived. Unfortunately that isn't the case and Hopkins has had the longer, more distinguished career.

Sanchez was planning on retiring when he was 25 to become a doctor, or so he said, he would of never had the longevity of Hopkins.
Just thought I'd mention it.

JAB5239
08-03-2010, 06:17 PM
Sanchez was planning on retiring when he was 25 to become a doctor, or so he said, he would of never had the longevity of Hopkins.
Just thought I'd mention it.

That like the rest of his career would have remained to be seen. Lots of fighters plan on leaving by a certain time or while on top but few ever do.

Thank you for that tid bit of info though, I hadn't known that before.

oaklandstephen
08-03-2010, 09:32 PM
Jimmy McLarnin
Michael Spinks
Salvador Sanchez
James J. Jeffries
Terry McGovern

no .......................

JAB5239
08-03-2010, 09:44 PM
no .......................

Jimmy McLarnin and Micheal Spinks certainly are in my opinion. An argument can be made as to who is greater between Hop and McGovern though.

McGoorty
09-05-2011, 02:12 PM
Jimmy McLarnin
Michael Spinks
Salvador Sanchez
James J. Jeffries
Terry McGovern

Yes I think so, only Salvadore Sanchez had yet to reach Hopkins's level, and that is due to an untimely death... McLarnin is unquestionably greater.... Jeffries is a many times greater fighter,... he is arguably the greatest ever heavyweight,... at least that's what most of the old-timers believed,.. I rate him higher than Dempsey,... McGovern is also greater than Hopkins but I think Hopkins is at least as great as Spinks......... But it's Jeff, and Jimmy that are the greatest names here.

joseph5620
09-05-2011, 02:18 PM
Yes I think so, only Salvadore Sanchez had yet to reach Hopkins's level, and that is due to an untimely death... McLarnin is unquestionably greater.... Jeffries is a many times greater fighter,... he is arguably the greatest ever heavyweight,... at least that's what most of the old-timers believed,.. I rate him higher than Dempsey,... McGovern is also greater than Hopkins but I think Hopkins is at least as great as Spinks......... But it's Jeff, and Jimmy that are the greatest names here.

He's not even close to that. And it's not arguable.

SCtrojansbaby
09-05-2011, 02:58 PM
I don't know about all the prehistoric fighters but Hopkins=Sanchez>>>Spinks

Ziggy Stardust
09-05-2011, 03:18 PM
I don't know about all the prehistoric fighters but Hopkins=Sanchez>>>Spinks

And apparently you don't know Michael Spinks either. Typical.

Poet

SCtrojansbaby
09-05-2011, 03:45 PM
And apparently you know Michael Spinks either. Typical.

Poet

Spinks is a bonafide ATG and one of the top 3 LHWs in modern boxing but Sanchez and B-Hop are a notch or 2 above

Ziggy Stardust
09-05-2011, 03:48 PM
Spinks is a bonafide ATG and one of the top 3 LHWs in modern boxing but Sanchez and B-Hop are a notch or 2 above

:rolleyes9: :rolleyes9: :rolleyes9: :rolleyes9:

The_Demon
09-05-2011, 03:52 PM
I wouldnt say Sanchez or Jeffries are but i would rank the other 3 higher

McGoorty
09-05-2011, 03:57 PM
And apparently you know Michael Spinks either. Typical.

Poet
He's an expert dontcha know.

McGoorty
09-05-2011, 04:01 PM
I wouldnt say Sanchez or Jeffries are but i would rank the other 3 higher
Jeffries was seriously great...... the opinions of those who saw Jeffries must have creedence..... Most said he was the greatest HW of his time.... Jack Johnson also had his adherants but Jeff was favourite,.... only McLarnin can claim greatness over him,, but its hard to pick between them.

joseph5620
09-05-2011, 04:06 PM
Jeffries was seriously great...... the opinions of those who saw Jeffries must have creedence..... Most said he was the greatest HW of his time.... Jack Johnson also had his adherants but Jeff was favourite,.... only McLarnin can claim greatness over him,, but its hard to pick between them.

Who did they compare him to? The fact that he avoided Jack Johnson while Jeffries was in his prime is enough to DQ him from that argument.

With that said, Spinks/Jeffries/Sanchez are below Hopkins on an ATG list. Spinks the FAR greater LH. But Hopkins longetivity passes him overall.

Barn
09-05-2011, 06:34 PM
McLarlin
McGovern
Spinks
Hopkins
Sanchez
Jeffries.