View Full Version : where do you rank Sonny Listons jab in all time heavyweight boxing?

irishdude
07-31-2010, 02:44 PM
He had a heck of a jab. 84 inches though he was only 6 foot half inch. His left arm was notably more muscular than his right so that points to him being naturally southpaw, but switching to orthodox.

One of the hardest hitters there was, I reckon it is the best of all time. For knockout potential no doubt, Ali had a great one but it couldn't knock you out by itself. I think Listons is better than Holmes, Lewis.

DarkTerror88
07-31-2010, 02:57 PM
He had a heck of a jab. 84 inches though he was only 6 foot half inch. His left arm was notably more muscular than his right so that points to him being naturally southpaw, but switching to orthodox.

One of the hardest hitters there was, I reckon it is the best of all time. For knockout potential no doubt, Ali had a great one but it couldn't knock you out by itself. I think Listons is better than Holmes, Lewis.

I think its arguably the best jab in history, i am very undecided though, Holmes had a good jab, as well as Joe Louis and Walcott. People have their own personal thoughts on who had the best jab, but it is very easy to make a case for Liston.

NChristo
07-31-2010, 03:02 PM
The best with Holmes coming second.

Ziggy Stardust
07-31-2010, 03:13 PM
Top 3 along with Larry Holmes and Joe Louis.

Poet

Vadrigar.
07-31-2010, 03:15 PM
Top three along with Ali and Holmes.

sonnyboyx2
07-31-2010, 03:30 PM
2nd only to Muhammad Ali`s jab.

Top 10 Jabs
1/. Ali
2/. Liston
3/. Holmes
4/. Louis
5/. Johnson
6/. Foreman
7/. Wlad
8/. Bowe
9/. Bruno
10/. Pink Thomas

Many members claim Lennox Lewis had a good jab, yet i must disagree and ask " Against who did Lewis show this great jab against" Bruno gave Lewis a lesson in jabbing and having watched every pro fight of Lewis i cannot recall any fight where he possessed and showed a `Great Jab` which is why he is not in my Top 10... other great jabbers was Bonecrusher Smith, John Tate, Max Baer, Primo Carnera, Jess Willard, Roy Jones Jr. and a guy who was never champion Carl`the truth`Williams

DarkTerror88
07-31-2010, 03:38 PM
I actually think kenny norton also had a very good jab from the footage i've seen of him.

r.burgundy
07-31-2010, 06:37 PM
ali
holmes
lewis
klit
klit
liston

nomadman
07-31-2010, 06:41 PM
Fourth, behind Wlad, Lennox and Holmes.

K-DOGG
07-31-2010, 06:51 PM
Sonny Liston had a heck of a jab, no doubt; but I'd have to rank him behind Joe Louis. Louis had a jab that had every bit the amount of pop to it that Listion's did and it was faster and IMO, more accurate. Legend has it on good authrority that his trainer, Blackburn, used to tie his right fist to the ropes during training so as to improve his skill at fending off adversaries with his left.

them_apples
07-31-2010, 07:55 PM
Holmes had the best jab by far. IMO

p4p..thomas Hearns no doubt

Tiozzo
08-01-2010, 11:22 AM
Holmes had the best jab by far. IMO

p4p..thomas Hearns no doubt

co-sign this

Toney616
08-01-2010, 11:27 AM
Liston
Ali
Holmes

Tiozzo
08-01-2010, 11:38 AM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/y-4lKEtf_3I&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/y-4lKEtf_3I&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

In this vid, Shavers compares Ali's jab and Holmes'

and there is no comparison to make

he says Ali had a flicker jab with no power behind it
he says Holmes jab was as powerful as most fighters RIGHT HAND
that says a lot

in my book, Holmes has the better jab because it had speed and power
Ali comes second because it had speed and he used it very effectively
Liston comes third : he didn't use his jab as much as Holmes and Ali despite the power behind it and the great reach advantage he had

T.Horton
08-01-2010, 11:42 AM
co-sign thisco-co-sign!

Holmes
Ali
Liston

K-DOGG
08-01-2010, 12:51 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/y-4lKEtf_3I&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/y-4lKEtf_3I&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

In this vid, Shavers compares Ali's jab and Holmes'

and there is no comparison to make

he says Ali had a flicker jab with no power behind it
he says Holmes jab was as powerful as most fighters RIGHT HAND
that says a lot

in my book, Holmes has the better jab because it had speed and power
Ali comes second because it had speed and he used it very effectively
Liston comes third : he didn't use his jab as much as Holmes and Ali despite the power behind it and the great reach advantage he had

While I agree that, overall, Holmes' jab was better than Ali's.....it's important to remember that Ali was just this side of shot when Shavers faced him while Holmes was in his prime. Ali's jab vs Liston and Cleveland Williams....or anybody he faced in the 60's was a different animal from the jab he threw in the 70's post Frazier III.

sonnyboyx2
08-01-2010, 02:28 PM
While I agree that, overall, Holmes' jab was better than Ali's.....it's important to remember that Ali was just this side of shot when Shavers faced him while Holmes was in his prime. Ali's jab vs Liston and Cleveland Williams....or anybody he faced in the 60's was a different animal from the jab he threw in the 70's post Frazier III.

110 % correct... Holmes was a very poor imitation of Muhammad Al, what Ali vs Foreman closely and you will see Ali stagger Foreman with his jab, Ali`s jab was the fastest in history Holmes was a poor imitation

T.Horton
08-01-2010, 03:40 PM
110 % correct... Holmes was a very poor imitation of Muhammad Al, what Ali vs Foreman closely and you will see Ali stagger Foreman with his jab, Ali`s jab was the fastest in history Holmes was a poor imitationi love how you act like the number one authority figure on everything. prove to me Ali's was better with conclusive evidence.

Sam Donald
08-01-2010, 05:35 PM
I was always thought a prime Tyson had a tremedous jab, he didnt use it as much but against Tucker he showed it and it was amazing

Megamasterking
08-01-2010, 05:49 PM
Liston most powerful
Ali most effective
Holmes most dangerous

Miburo
08-01-2010, 06:38 PM
Well, he was converted orthodox so comparison isn't quite fair. Behind Holmes and probably Ali I'd say.

Tiozzo
08-01-2010, 09:11 PM
110 % correct... Holmes was a very poor imitation of Muhammad Al, what Ali vs Foreman closely and you will see Ali stagger Foreman with his jab, Ali`s jab was the fastest in history Holmes was a poor imitation

''a poor imitation''

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

sonnyboyx2
08-02-2010, 12:58 AM
i love how you act like the number one authority figure on everything. prove to me Ali's was better with conclusive evidence.

Thankyou for the praise.. i would not go as far as "number one authority" so lets just say, `someone who has watched over 20000 fights and loves the sport`...

here is a link for you, watch the 3 jabs at 6.20 then onwards

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01te5gp9JD0

them_apples
08-02-2010, 03:08 AM
Thankyou for the praise.. i would not go as far as "number one authority" so lets just say, `someone who has watched over 20000 fights and loves the sport`...

here is a link for you, watch the 3 jabs at 6.20 then onwards

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01te5gp9JD0

Ali didn't have a better jab, if you have ever boxed before you would know this.

Ali had a quick stinging jab, A good jab but not a "stiff" jab, aka one that does damage. Holmes had a quick jab, a jab with power and speed. aka an amazing jab. Ali's only had one of that.

sonnyboyx2
08-02-2010, 04:09 AM
Ali didn't have a better jab, if you have ever boxed before you would know this.

Ali had a quick stinging jab, A good jab but not a "stiff" jab, aka one that does damage. Holmes had a quick jab, a jab with power and speed. aka an amazing jab. Ali's only had one of that.

yeah ive boxed before... IMO Ali had by far the better jab, it was powerful enough to `stagger` Foreman, it was also the fastest jab, Ali used it to set-up his other punches.. Larry Holmes was "out-jabbed" by Carl Williams, Bonecrusher Smith (1) and Michael Spinks.. Holmes also turned down a unification fight with Pinklon Thomas because he never fancied taking Thomas jab on.. Holmes jab always looked good when he was facing a fighter who had no jab but against fighters who themselves could jab Holmes was not so good infact Ken Norton had little trouble beating Holmes to the jab.. Holmes jab looked good against the likes of Shavers, Zanon & Evangelista because they had no jab of their own to off-set Holmes

sonnyboyx2
08-02-2010, 04:20 AM

you say Ali had a jab that never done damage.. take a look at Ali vs Liston (1) where Liston`s face looks like a plate of raw meat.. Liston had an incredible jab but it was nothing compared to the jab of Muhammad Ali.

them_apples
08-02-2010, 10:41 AM
you say Ali had a jab that never done damage.. take a look at Ali vs Liston (1) where Liston`s face looks like a plate of raw meat.. Liston had an incredible jab but it was nothing compared to the jab of Muhammad Ali.

getting out jabbed by someone means he was getting out boxed. It doesn't mean his jab wasn't as good or better. His jab was still quicker, and harder than those mentioned.

Also take into account reach. Liston had a great jab because he had an 84 reach on a 6'1 man. Listons jab was slow as mud.

sonnyboyx2
08-02-2010, 11:02 AM
getting out jabbed by someone means he was getting out boxed. It doesn't mean his jab wasn't as good or better. His jab was still quicker, and harder than those mentioned.

Also take into account reach. Liston had a great jab because he had an 84 reach on a 6'1 man. Listons jab was slow as mud.

boxing is not a one-punch game, a fighter uses a variety of punches with most of them set-up off the fighters lead punch which is `The Jab`so in a boxing match when both combatants square up it usually comes down to a `battle of the jabs`... when a fighter is beaten to the jab by his opponent it prevents him carrying out his attack and keeps him on the defence as his opponent will be on the offence.