View Full Version : What's Jake Lamotta's Secret?

MeccaOfBoxing
07-30-2010, 12:31 PM
This man amazes me.

He is 89 years of age and still going strong. He still does after dinning speaking and is overall still healthly.

But yet he took so much punishment and damage during his career. He also never lived a clean life. He smoked, drank and ate alot.

Surley all this leads to a pretty short or very sick life.

But yet he he still going strong at 89. He has nearly seen out all his old foes. And is still fairly healthly.

Just amazezs me, because I know alot of people who lived alot cleaner than him during there life, but still come down with alot of health issues or died alot younger than him.

thoughts?

NChristo
07-30-2010, 12:43 PM
Same, George Chuvalo amazes me how well spoken and how well he is doing for himself as well despite the beatings he took in the ring and what happened to his family.

It could be anything, genetics, physical structure, how much they get hit and by whom, it also scares me though in a way how people can get punch drunk so fast e.g Riddick Bowe, if you listen to his pre fight interviews after 93 you can notice his slurring and speech getting progressively worse with each fight, by 98 you could hardly understand him, shame really..

Guess some people have it and some don't.

MeccaOfBoxing
07-30-2010, 12:45 PM
Same, George Chuvalo amazes me how well spoken and how well he is doing for himself as well despite the beatings he took in the ring and what happened to his family.

It could be anything, genetics, physical structure, how much they get hit and by whom, it also scares me though in a way how people can get punch drunk so fast e.g Riddick Bowe, if you listen to his pre fight interviews after 93 you can notice his slurring and speech getting progressively worse with each fight, by 98 you could hardly understand him, shame really..

Guess some people have it and some don't.

Yeah I no. It really is just amazing........

Miburo
07-30-2010, 12:53 PM
He's a bit senile at this point actually, if you've seen recent interviews. No real surprise at his age.

As to how he survived so well, genetics - skull and neck structure have allowed guys like him, Archie Moore, and George Chuvalo to get out of the game more or less undamaged.