View Full Version : Ali's Power Is Underrated

Skydog
07-16-2005, 12:46 AM
I think Ali's power is very underrated. I know his power isn't that to the likes of Foreman, Tyson, Marciano, etc. but the man has a devastating punch. Look at that left he hit Bonavena with the first time he knocked him down. Bonavena's head jerked violently back. And how about the stunning right that sent Foreman spinning to the canvas?

adeelr
07-16-2005, 01:33 AM
you are right Ali had haters even before he was born, he proved his greatness over and over again but white America still wont accept him, they start makin stupid comments like saying he had an average punch. The truth is he had a massive punch, you can see that in his earlier fights, the way he knocked out liston in the second fight was no joke. His power and speed did deterioate after his exile, but it was still enuff to shake up the world.

M26
07-16-2005, 07:29 AM
Yes, Muhammad Ali could deliver a hard punch when he sat down on them. The reason some argue that he didn't have punching power is because of the way he fought. He was up on his toes which doesn't give you the proper leverage to deliver hard punches.

run_for_your_effing_life
07-16-2005, 10:01 AM
yeah ali was "A BAD MAN"

Kid Achilles
07-16-2005, 10:29 AM
Ali actually had better power after the exile where he slowed down some and was forced to stand his ground more and sit into his punches. It was never great though and he was one of the weaker hitting heavyweight champions, mostly because of just how hard most of those guys hit. I think he is remembered as having slightly above average power, which is accurate. He hit to the head about as hard as Tunney IMO, though Tunney had a much harder body punch.

Skydog
07-16-2005, 01:50 PM
Still, his first hit that knocked Bonavena's head back, that had to have took some power to do that.

Kid Achilles
07-16-2005, 06:02 PM
It took some decent power but you need to remember that was arguably the greatest and hardest punch Ali threw in his entire career. He was not normally capable of such power, and even that punch was nothing like a Dempsey or Frazier left hook.

Skydog
07-16-2005, 09:15 PM
He was not normally capable of such power, and even that punch was nothing like a Dempsey or Frazier left hook.

No **** it's not that powerful.

hellfire508
07-16-2005, 10:44 PM
you are right Ali had haters even before he was born, he proved his greatness over and over again but white America still wont accept him, they start makin stupid comments like saying he had an average punch. The truth is he had a massive punch, you can see that in his earlier fights, the way he knocked out liston in the second fight was no joke. His power and speed did deterioate after his exile, but it was still enuff to shake up the world.

his punch was harder after exile. He fought more flat footed, and worked out more on the heavy bag...he hit alot harder afterwards. Speed was less though.
He actually says after Frazier 1, that he would have lost by more in his prime because he wasnt as strong.

hellfire508
07-16-2005, 10:46 PM
He definately wasnt a power puncher.

Whoever said its nothing like a Frazier left hook...you are a dick head. Frazier's left hook is argueably the hardest left hook in history.

Ali has very underrated power, and when he went off his toes and slugged it out...he hit HARD. He slugs it out with Frazier in the first fight. His straight right, right uppercut and left hook were very hard pucnhes.

Sweat
07-16-2005, 10:53 PM
Whoever say Ali's power is weak is a dumbass or dont know boxing at all. If you say that he has an average power, its like saying that George Foreman has an average chin which is not true because he has a decent chin and Ali is the only one that knocked him out.

Pinoy_Texan
07-17-2005, 05:45 AM
Ali before they stripped him of his belts was actually knocking people down while he was backing up.

Hunna
07-17-2005, 06:19 AM
exactly! any heavy weight with such speed, will have incredible power.
sheer size plus that speed equals power.

Kid Achilles
07-17-2005, 08:33 AM
Whoever says Ali had a massvie punch is the dumbass. Watch his fights for God's sake, especially the three with Frazier where he rarely had Joe hurt in 41 rounds of boxing. Ron Stander and Oscar Bonavena both hurt Joe much more than Ali ever did and they were clumsier and slower of hand and foot and had less skill to deliver their power.

No one is saying Ali was a weak puncher, just that he was only a bit above average in that department and so he can't compare to most of the other guys. There just weren't many heavyweight champions who were weak punchers.

JohnThomas1
07-23-2005, 12:41 PM
I am a massive fan of ali's and think he is the greatest ever but he wasn't a big hitter. Solid right hand but not big. It is undeniable that Holmes hit slightly harder and he wasn't a great puncher either. Where Ali scored his ko's a lot was thru sheer class and accumulation. He could also throw decent punches that his opponent simply never saw. Many say the punch that can be the most dangerous ko wise is the one you don't see. Another great strength was that when he did hurt an opponent nobody could put so many accurate punches on someone so fast. He was a good finisher.

Easy-E
07-23-2005, 04:53 PM
Ali was a great puncer, with heavy hands, but he wasnt a heavy hitter. I would agree that his power was underrated, but that wasnt his stregnth,,,obviously

Skydog
07-23-2005, 11:06 PM
Whoever says Ali had a massvie punch is the dumbass. Watch his fights for God's sake, especially the three with Frazier where he rarely had Joe hurt in 41 rounds of boxing. Ron Stander and Oscar Bonavena both hurt Joe much more than Ali ever did and they were clumsier and slower of hand and foot and had less skill to deliver their power.

No one is saying Ali was a weak puncher, just that he was only a bit above average in that department and so he can't compare to most of the other guys. There just weren't many heavyweight champions who were weak punchers.

Joe wasn't hurt? Look at Joe's face in III: it's swelled like a balloon. Why do you think they called the fight?

tommyhearns804
07-26-2005, 08:19 AM
Ali had slightly better than average power.In general it was nothing to worry about.Ali usually had to land punches for rounds and rounds before what he was doing had any effect.Ali in no way had massive punching power and i don't know how you figure people hate Ali.If anything Ali is built up more than any other fighter in history besides Marciano and Tyson.If you don't know boxing you would think Ali never lost.Frazier Foreman Norton Lyle ect ect ect are all put down to give false praise to Ali.
When you mention Frazier beat Ali first you will probably get this dumb line.Well Ali was old.Ali is old at 30 but yet Foreman could win the title at 45 and fight until he was 48.Ali wasn't old.He was rusty when he came back and that is it.He started taking more punches because he was fighting the better fighters.Ali looked more impressive before his exile because he was usually fighting buys who were much smaller than him.Most around the 190 pound weight range or he was fighting guys who were really really slow like Chuvalo or even Lison.Liston was a decent fighter built up to make Ali look good.Liston's best wins came over the blown up super middleweight Patterson who had a glass chin.
Ali=great hand speed.great courage and heart.a quick mouth but he was never much of a puncher.

tommyhearns804
07-26-2005, 08:21 AM
And by the way again.Wepner fought Foreman in Foreman's 3rd fight and was stopped in the 3rd.Years after Wepner fought Ali and lasted 14 or 15 rounds so if Wepner was a bum then Ali was a bum for letting him last so long. :D

TheEvilSaint
07-26-2005, 09:57 AM
ali KOd the iron chinned oscar bonavena, sonny liston, and george foreman (the only person to stop bonavena is ali, likewise for foreman).

ali doesnt hurt u with one punch, he hurts u with the punches that are too fast to see or stop. sure hes not rocky marciano, jack dempsey, joe louis, or mike tyson, but his punches hurt like hell.

just ask joe frazier.

rocco1252
07-26-2005, 11:47 PM
Ali was devestating, I mean just look at the punch he hit Liston with in! He was just so fast that when he hit you by the time you say the guys head move it was back to the same spot when he hit you again.
His speed is why people say that he didnt have alot of power but this guy hurt people and hit you many more times, all he had to do was plant his foot when he wanted to throw big.

Skydog
07-27-2005, 01:00 AM
I wouldn't give Ali so much credit for the second Liston match. I mean the punch is amazing, but Liston pretty much layed down.

I'm not saying Ali had a massive punch like Louis or Foreman, but it's harder than most people tend to think it is. Like his knock-out punch against Wepner. What a right that was! And the right he nailed Foreman with.

Kid Achilles
07-27-2005, 01:05 PM
No one with any historical boxing knowledge thinks Ali was a weak hitter; it's just that he wasn't an extremely powerful puncher. He hit about as hard as Braddock, except he was much, much quicker. Both were above average hitters who displayed very good power ocassionally throughout their careers.

I think he is rated where he should be, as a pretty decent puncher.

BoxingPromoter
07-27-2005, 01:44 PM
IMO, I think that Ali could've been a more powerful puncher had he wanted to. If you look at some of his fights he concentrates mostly on accuracy, speed, and repitition and not on winding up(like Foreman) and delivering a hard blow. He certainly had the strength and body type to punch harder but it wasn't his style.

BadMagick
07-27-2005, 08:40 PM

Don't be such a dumbass. Ali didn't have much of a punch, and Liston took a dive.

A fly could have KOed Foreman that night, he was so exhausted. You guys who really don't have a clue as to what you're talking about should really stop talking.

Ali had a decent punch, but it was nothing to marvel at, and it was far from devastating. Tyson, Foreman, Norton, Shavers, Marciano, etc, had hard, devastating punches, Ali did not. Maybe he COULD have had them, had he planted his feet for the shots, but he didn't.

Skydog
07-27-2005, 10:24 PM
Like Sonny Liston quoted after his fight with him: "That wasn't the Cassius Clay I was supposed to be fighting; the one I fought could hit!"

Kid Achilles
07-28-2005, 06:03 PM
I think the myth of Ali being feather fisted dated back to the 60's with all the crusty old caucasian fight fans and writers who held so much contempt for the man who broke the mold for heavyweight champions, personality wise. He acted like a skinny teenage punk so they tended to believe he couldn't punch, couldn't take a punch, had no heart etc.

Ali proved them all wrong during the 70's. These days most sane people recognize that Ali could hit a bit. I don't think he is underrated as a puncher for that reason. However, he couldn't hit as hard as Joe Frazier, Oscar Bonavena, Ken Norton, Jerry Quarry or many of his other contemporaries, and in a historical sense his power was near the bottom of the list of HW champions. This is ONLY because most of those champions (even the less respected ones like Jess Willard and Jack Sharkey) hit very, very hard.

Ali_is_the_greatest17
07-29-2005, 01:20 PM
He wasnt even really known for his power...he was known mostly for his footwork and blinding handspeed.

grant555
07-31-2005, 12:57 AM
When I think of Ali, I don't think of jaw busting power, but of speed and crisp punching. Angelo Dundee once commented that Ali was a snapping punching which I think commented on his speed and athleticism. Other things that served Ali well once his athletic gifts began to fade were his chin and heart. Some of the punches he took for fights that went the distance were amazing. It is going to be a long time before anyone touches his greatest in the heavyweight division.

Ali_is_the_greatest17
08-02-2005, 02:03 PM
I think Ali's punch was actually very, very powerful..it just looked like a light punch.

BadMagick
08-02-2005, 03:41 PM
I think Ali's punch was actually very, very powerful..it just looked like a light punch.

He had a decent punch, but to say it was "devastating" is completely asinine. You have to be a complete ****ing moron to say that. If it was so devastating, he would have had more early KO's, and probably KOed a few more opponents.

phil" the hitman "manny
08-03-2005, 07:11 PM
A punch isnt only about how hard you throw it,timing and accuracy,Ali had them in spades.

XionComrade
08-03-2005, 07:29 PM
When Ali set down on those punches in Zaire, Foreman was KOed, they were HUGE Technical punches that only punchers throw! When Ali wants to, he has KO power, however thats not his style, he doesn't like to fight like that I guess...Ali isnt a puncher, or a brawler, but he is a incredibly powerful person for a pure boxer IMO!

XionComrade
08-03-2005, 07:30 PM
When Ali set down on those punches in Zaire, Foreman was KOed, they were HUGE Technical punches that only punchers throw! When Ali wants to, he has KO power, however thats not his style, he doesn't like to fight like that I guess...Ali isnt a puncher, or a brawler, but he is a incredibly powerful person for a pure boxer! IMO

Ali KOed most of his opponents, lets just overlook Liston though :confused:

Skydog
08-06-2005, 10:19 PM
Ali KOed most of his opponents, lets just overlook Liston though :confused:

He did destroy Liston in the 1st fight as well.

Muchmoore
08-06-2005, 11:15 PM
Liston was also possibly 40 years old when he fought Clay.

Ali was a strong guy. The way he pushed people away in clinches was impressive. He pushed big strong people like Foreman, Frazier, and Liston like they were nothing. He was strong, but he didnt hit hard. He didnt hit light, but he wasnt a hard puncher. He knocked out people more by breaking them down like Ali, Foreman, etc.

nohero
08-06-2005, 11:49 PM
Is he not the only person to KO Foreman? That's saying something right there...

Muchmoore
08-06-2005, 11:58 PM
Foreman got knocked out more by exhaustion than Alis power though.

SickofLife
08-07-2005, 12:05 AM
Foreman got knocked out more by exhaustion than Alis power though.

That's the thing that a lot of people overlook. The KO on Foreman is more Foreman's failure to control himself, than Ali's great punching. Ali knew that he'd piss the guy off, and he played the plan to a T. It's really quite impressive.

tommyhearns804
08-08-2005, 02:18 PM
Foreman was never knocked out by Ali he was knocked down and got up at the count of 8 or 9 and the ref just stopped it.But anyway we all know Foreman went down from fatigue but even when Foreman was old Holyfield couldnt hurt him so that must mean Ali hit harder than Holyfield did when Ali wanted.Ali also punched harder than Douglas who kicked Tyson's azz.
Ali was a good puncher not great but good.Ali couldn't hurt you with one punch unless you were a bum.It usually took Ali alot of rounds before his punches began to take their toll.

realheavyhands
08-09-2005, 05:13 AM
when ali sat down on his punches he could bang with the best..he fought up on his toes

angelo_dundee
08-09-2005, 10:48 PM
Angelo Dundee spoke on this one. His comments were to affect of "When Muhammad gets of his toes and bangs, very frew fighers can bang with Muhammad".

Ali went toe-toe with great punchers like Shavers and Joe, and came out trumps. Great boxer, great guy.

Dempsey 1919
10-25-2005, 06:24 PM
"I'm not a puncher. I don't hit that hard. I just dance and keep my face smooth and do the hittin'...if a knockout do come, it could come."
-Muhammad Ali 1967

Ali was not a puncher at say 18 to 25 and 183lbs. to 210lbs. but at 28 to about 34 and 215lbs. to 218lbs. he was. His body needed filling out in the end and it worked. He could punch almost as hard as some of the hardest hitters of the 70s, including Frazier Forman and Norton. Yes, Ali's punching power was very underrated in the 70s, not so much the 60s.

Skydog
10-25-2005, 10:13 PM
Well, I dunno, those punches on Cleveland Williams are far from light punches.

Dempsey 1919
10-26-2005, 12:06 AM
The punches on Williams were fast, sharp, stinging punches that wore him down. The only reason the fight was so quick was because Ali threw over 100 punches each round! The punches weren't by any means bombs.

Kid Achilles
10-26-2005, 12:09 AM
Ali was never a big puncher. To compare him to Foreman, Frazier, or even Ken Norton is ridiculous. He could trade with those men because of his chin and handspeed.

phallus
10-26-2005, 12:46 AM
Ali was never a big puncher. To compare him to Foreman, Frazier, or even Ken Norton is ridiculous. He could trade with those men because of his chin and handspeed.

i agree. no matter how much weight ali put on his frame, he was never a puncher. he alwways threw arm punches and never planted his feet, u don't make power that way

Dempsey 1919
10-26-2005, 11:45 AM
i agree. no matter how much weight ali put on his frame, he was never a puncher. he alwways threw arm punches and never planted his feet, u don't make power that way

He did plant his feet a lot in the 70s, and a good amount in the 60s. Look at what he did to Quarry (2x), Bonavena, Frazier(I, III), Foreman, etc.