View Full Version : Thoughts On Michael Moorer's Legacy & Greatness?

Southpaw Great
07-26-2010, 02:02 PM

Clyde Barrow
07-26-2010, 02:10 PM
Monstrous at LHW. Pretty good HW. Constrained by a bad chin though. Beat his share of good fighters and one great fighter in Holyfield. If you're going to call Moorer "great," have to do it as a great LHW. Overall, he wasn't great.

JAB5239
07-26-2010, 06:09 PM
Monstrous at LHW. Pretty good HW. Constrained by a bad chin though. Beat his share of good fighters and one great fighter in Holyfield. If you're going to call Moorer "great," have to do it as a great LHW. Overall, he wasn't great.

It is impossible to call Moorer great at 175 when his biggest win was over Leslie Stewart who was coming off two losses. While he was a heavy handed fighter at lightheavy the vast majority of his stoppages was over sub par competition. His resume at 175 just doesn't add up to greatness.

MARKBNLV
07-26-2010, 07:55 PM
Followed his career from day one watching him in fights at the blue horizion,i think he had a solid but under acheiving career the dude was known to be lazy as ****,thats why Teddy was always screaming at him,better dedication he could have been something special.

Marcov
07-26-2010, 08:53 PM
It is impossible to call Moorer great at 175 when his biggest win was over Leslie Stewart who was coming off two losses. While he was a heavy handed fighter at lightheavy the vast majority of his stoppages was over sub par competition. His resume at 175 just doesn't add up to greatness.

I agree, I think his win over Evander Holyfield to win the linear heavyweight title was his greatest achievement. Some thought the fight was controversial but I had Moorer winning. Holyfield just had no answer for the southpaw jab that was in his face all night long. That win surpassed all his achievements previous to it.

Thread Stealer
07-26-2010, 08:57 PM
Moorer at 175 is like Edwin Valero. Awesome record, not-so-special opposition. Far from being one of the great LHWs due to his achievements there and the rich history of the division.

He was a pretty good HW. Had a win over Holyfield, maybe Evander was having an off night but it earned Moorer the lineal HW title regardless. He had some decent wins otherwise against guys like Botha and Stewart. The fight with Cooper was a classic.

Because of his KO record he was at first known as this ferocious fighter and puncher. Later on he became more of a patient boxer, boxing behind that right jab of his. He had a terrific southpaw jab.

Obama
07-26-2010, 09:04 PM
I wouldn't call him great but I'd definitely vote him into the HOF. And while he got dropped a lot he usually got up. And he was usually very dangerous when he got up.

Trenchant
07-26-2010, 11:28 PM
He had great natural talent with his speed and power. Being a southpaw helped too , not too many southpaw lhw and heavyweights. His mental weakness and laziness stopped him from achieving his potential. He beat some really good fighters. I think he was great at lhw but he didnt stick around there. He was exciting to watch because the possibility of fireworks was always present.

cooper5
07-27-2010, 05:55 AM
I remember when he went on ESPN2 to announce he was coming back. Teddy Reid literally talked him out of it and decided right there to remain retired. It was like "Never Mind!"

He never had the chin to hang with the top level heavys. But that made for some exciting fights, B.Cooper, Alex Stewart and even the historical George Foreman championship bout.