View Full Version : Which other fighter could have taken those punches Frazier took

sonnyboyx2
07-24-2010, 01:11 PM
George Foreman 24yrs old knocked down Joe Frazier 6 Times in their Heavyweight Title Fight in Jamaica 1973 The punches Foreman threw was the hardset punches ever seen in a prizefight, Foreman lifted Frazier OFF the Floor with his punches such was the power of them... Which Heavyweights could have taken those punches on the chin without going down.

Vadrigar.
07-24-2010, 01:13 PM
I am certain Chuvalo could take those punches, which he already proved.

D-MiZe
07-24-2010, 01:13 PM
Vitali....

sonnyboyx2
07-24-2010, 01:18 PM
I am certain Chuvalo could take those punches, which he already proved.

Chuvalo had a great chin and took a great rap to it but he failed to take Foremans punches 3yrs earlier when Foreman was nothing like what he was the night he beat Frazier.

sonnyboyx2
07-24-2010, 01:20 PM
Vitali....

:rofl: are you serious

prinzemanspopa
07-24-2010, 01:29 PM
Chuvalo was stopped on his feet and still coherent at the time the ref did stop it.He even made the point of questioning the ref on why he stopped the bout when he did.

I find it very,very difficult to imagine the likes of:

Quarry,Chuvalo,Ali,Vitali,Holyfield,McCall,Mercer, Tyson,Liston,Tua being knocked to the canvas as often as Frazier was in just two rounds.

I don't know why it's so hard for Frazier fans to accept that their man had a weak chin.

r.burgundy
07-24-2010, 01:33 PM
mike tyson,holyfield,ali,ibeabuchi,tua just to name a few off the top of my head

One more round
07-24-2010, 09:03 PM
Holyfield and Ali could have taken them without being stopped, but I can't really think of any fighter taking those shots without being at least hurt.

the dart
07-24-2010, 09:38 PM
Don't think anyone can or will.

Obama
07-24-2010, 10:29 PM
Man got stopped in 2 rounds, why in god's name are you trying to use this as evidence that he could take a lot of punishment? Foreman KOs a lot of elite boxers. Most of which certainly would last longer than Frazier did. Granted, it also involves them getting hit a lot less often, but that's Joe's problem for fighting like an idiot.

$Natedatpkid$
07-25-2010, 02:08 AM
Not many at all.

sonnyboyx2
07-25-2010, 12:27 PM
Chuvalo was stopped on his feet and still coherent at the time the ref did stop it.He even made the point of questioning the ref on why he stopped the bout when he did.

I find it very,very difficult to imagine the likes of:

Quarry,Chuvalo,Ali,Vitali,Holyfield,McCall,Mercer, Tyson,Liston,Tua being knocked to the canvas as often as Frazier was in just two rounds.

I don't know why it's so hard for Frazier fans to accept that their man had a weak chin.

Holyfield was KOd by Toney & Bowe
Mercer KOd by Wlad Klitschko
Tyson KOd by Danny Williams
Tua floored by Rahman & Monte Barrett

so what you are saying is that they punched harder than Foreman

GJC
07-25-2010, 03:13 PM
being knocked to the canvas as often as Frazier was in just two rounds.

To be fair its usually the first punch that does the damage how many knock downs that occur after that depend on the heart of the fighter and the ref.

r.burgundy
07-25-2010, 07:34 PM
i think julio casear chavez coulda took 1/2 of those shots that put joe down.i swear it looked like majority of those shots barely landed

GJC
07-25-2010, 07:52 PM
i think julio casear chavez coulda took 1/2 of those shots that put joe down.i swear it looked like majority of those shots barely landed
Not the first half :)

HaglerSteelChin
07-25-2010, 09:35 PM
Holyfield was KOd by Toney & Bowe
Mercer KOd by Wlad Klitschko
Tyson KOd by Danny Williams
Tua floored by Rahman & Monte Barrett

so what you are saying is that they punched harder than Foreman

Holyfield was ill with heart problems in the bowe fight, he looked sick and even foreman thought the fight should have ended earlier. It had nothing to do with chin, it was more exhaustation and breathing. He way pass his prime on the TOney fight. Holyfield did fight Foreman and didn't go down once, and although Foreman was over 40 he still had plenty of power, as Power is something that fighters retain in old age unlike speed and reflexes.

I would agree that Tyson would go down and Mercer maybe not 6 times though.

It depends which Tua, the guy who fought Ike would probably last to the latter rounds.

I never saw Frazier as a glass jaw, but certainly not a good chin, i mean there are guys with much better chin than he had.

I know there are some Holmes haters here, but I always thought Holmes had a great chin, he did get up and win after the Snipes and Shavers KD in Round 7. He often would go the distance and his KO via Tyson was pass his prime.