View Full Version : Glen Johnson's controversial losses - Has anyone seen these?

JK1700
07-22-2010, 08:35 PM
As we all know Glen Johnson complains that he feels he has been ripped off several times in his career and that alot of his "losses" were unfair and should have gone his way. Some people agree and some people just look at him as a sore loser but I want to find some clarity...

When you look at his record on paper it seems as though he was only been beaten convincingly by a select few opponents. Bernard Hopkins (Who knocked him out), and Chad Dawson (in the rematch) and Antonio Tarver (in the rematch). But he has 13 losses.

Of the so called "controversial fights", I have only seen a couple of them. These were his bouts with German champion Sven Ottke and Italian WBU Champion Silvio Branco. Sven Ottke did have alot of close fights, I have seen more of them than most people and I do believe that he beat Johnson. Although it was a very close fight with some very close rounds where neither guy was doing much. I don't think this fight can be considered a robbery because Ottke made Glen fight his tactical kind of fight. However, the bout with Branco was a robbery whichever way you look at it. Glen outlanded, outworked and outpunched Silvio in almost every round. I had him winning by a lopsided 118-111 but the judges screwed him over.

My question is whether you have seen any of the "controversial" fights involving Glen Johnson. In particular the fights with Merqui Sosa, Joseph Kiwanuka, Syd Vanderpool, Omar Sheika, Derrick Harmon and Julio Gonzalez.

If you have seen any of them then I would be very interested in knowing which fights were robberies and which were just very close and could have gone either way. I have alot of respect for Glen Johnson because he had to overcome alot in his career and earned every inch of his success the hard way.

I would appreciate some opinions on this....

Scott9945
07-23-2010, 02:46 AM
The draw with Daniel Judah was a ridiculous robbery. It wasn't even close.

Heru
07-23-2010, 03:04 AM
I haven't seen his controversial losses, but IMO he clearly lost both Dawson fights and the first Tarver fightis debateable.

I'm going to make it a point to watch these fights when I find them though.

MARKBNLV
07-23-2010, 04:14 AM
I haven't seen his controversial losses, but IMO he clearly lost both Dawson fights and the first Tarver fightis debateable.

Are you kidding Johnson beat both,he took a unpolished Dawson to school and deserved the win.The second fight went to Dawson,and he whooped Tarvers ass .

Heru
07-23-2010, 03:46 PM
Are you kidding Johnson beat both,he took a unpolished Dawson to school and deserved the win.The second fight went to Dawson,and he whooped Tarvers ass .

Nah... if you score the fight round by round, Dawson won the fight with his jab, movement, and combinations. He only lost the rounds where he got hurt, but except for 1 round, even they were all in the last minute of the round after Johnson got outboxed for the first 2.

And the first Tarver fight was ridiculously close, not a clear win at all.

Sam Donald
07-23-2010, 05:05 PM
Glen johnson is a top fighter, robberies or not..

got respect for him

Bright-Eyes
07-23-2010, 06:09 PM
And the first Tarver fight was ridiculously close, not a clear win at all.

Johnson even seem surprised that he got it.It was a close fight but I thought Tarver won seven rounds clearly enough

JK1700
07-23-2010, 08:34 PM

I have only watched it once but I thought he won the first Dawson fight, Even if it was very close. I had it something like 115-114, You can make a case for Dawson winning but the margins were unrealistic. The 2nd fight was undoubtedly a win for Dawson, No doubt whatsoever about that one.

I thought he beat Tarver in the first fight, Antonio landed more but I thought Glen outhustled him in the final rounds and deserved the win. Albeit by the narrow margin of 115-113, You have to score round by round and I think Antonio took off 1 or 2 rounds that he really needed to win to make it decisive.

So i'm guessing that nobody has seen his rare "controversial" fights. I'm going to try and find them on DVD and then upload them in the video section. Especially the Julio Gonzalez fight, Iv'e heard this was one of the worst robberies of the last few years.

Obama
07-24-2010, 03:18 AM
If you got that Sven Ottke fight you should upload it. I had Johnson beating Woods in the first fight. Get back to you on the Harmon fight, need to watch it again.

Obama
07-24-2010, 05:48 AM
Glen Johnson vs Derrick Harmon

*Round 1: 10 ***8211; 10 Even
Very, very close round. Feels wrong to take it away from either fighter. Harmon started really good but he didn***8217;t do much at all in the last two thirds of the round.

Round 2: 9 ***8211; 10 Harmon
The composed Harmon clearly landed the better shots in this round, and proved to have far superior ring generalship to the wild Johnson.

*Round 3: 9 ***8211; 10 Harmon
Another close round which involved Harmon mostly out boxing Johnson. Johnson did get in some good body work when he actually got inside however.

Round 4: 9 ***8211; 10 Harmon
Dominant round for Derrick.

Round 5: 10 ***8211; 9 Johnson
Before we get into this round I***8217;d just like to give a few quotes from Derrick in during the interim between the 4th and 5th round. ***8220;He***8217;s ****in crazy.***8221; ***8220;***8230;I want to go home.***8221; Johnson then proceeds to win his first round of the fight by loading up on a lot of unanswered right hands.

Round 6: 9 ***8211; 10 Harmon
Harmon resumes out boxing his technically limited opponent.

Round 7: 9 ***8211; 10 Harmon
War breaks out in the second half of the round. Harmon dominates. Sure Johnson landed the best punch of the round, but it was 1 punch. Harmon landed quite a lot of very good punches.

*Round 8: 10 ***8211; 9 Johnson
Very close round, Johnson out worked Harmon and stole it in the last 30 seconds.

*Round 9: 10 ***8211; 10 Even
Too close to call.

*Round 10: 10 ***8211; 9 Johnson
Derrick took the round off. But Johnson mostly just danced around without actually trying to connect***8230;the few times he did were enough to edge it.

Final Score: 3 ***8211; 5 ***8211; 2 Harmon (95 ***8211; 97)

Score Variances:
Scoring all the starred rounds to fighter 1: 6 ***8211; 4 Johnson
Scoring all the starred rounds even: 1 ***8211; 5 ***8211; 4 Harmon
Scoring all the starred rounds to fighter 2: 1 ***8211; 9 Harmon

------------

Case can be made that Glen won the fight. But the case is he won a close fight. Conversely you can make a case Harmon won by wide margins. I had Harmon by 2 points. If my even rounds become Johnson rounds, it's a draw.

titanium
07-25-2010, 06:29 AM
I have a bunch of his fights. In alot of them he seemed to do just enough to win. Not one sided but close. But rarely got the benefit of the judges.

JK1700
07-25-2010, 11:53 PM
If you got that Sven Ottke fight you should upload it. I had Johnson beating Woods in the first fight. Get back to you on the Harmon fight, need to watch it again.

I'll upload it if you upload the Harmon fight :boxing:

JK1700
07-25-2010, 11:55 PM
I have a bunch of his fights. In alot of them he seemed to do just enough to win. Not one sided but close. But rarely got the benefit of the judges.

Which ones do you have?

Obama
07-26-2010, 12:11 AM
I'll upload it if you upload the Harmon fight :boxing:

Glen Johnson vs Derrick Harmon (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6R71A8E4)
Password: sweetboxing

JK1700
07-26-2010, 12:53 AM

Nice. I will have the Ottke fight up for you soon.

Obama
07-26-2010, 01:23 AM
Nice. I will have the Ottke fight up for you soon.

Sweet. Looking forward to it.

JK1700
07-27-2010, 04:39 AM

I just watched it. Very hard fight to score, Alot of close rounds but I felt Harmon just edged it 96-94. Glen fought well but Harmon looked like a pretty good fighter, He gave Dariusz Michalczewski some trouble in their fight. Johnson lost but I think that fight COULD have gone his way, I'm not saying it should have but 98-92 was not a fair reflection of a very close fight.

I should have the Ottke fight up for you in a few hours, I had a problem with the Mega Manager but it's working okay now.

JK1700
07-28-2010, 06:54 AM
My MegaManager isnt working right now so I cant upload. I don't know what's wrong with it but I will post the fight here when its uploaded.

Sorry for the delay...

Obama
07-29-2010, 04:46 PM
My MegaManager isnt working right now so I cant upload. I don't know what's wrong with it but I will post the fight here when its uploaded.

Sorry for the delay...

Cut some of the fight and upload it again. Sometimes it just screws up files. It's hiiiiiiighly unlike it screws up 2 different fights in a row.

Obama
07-30-2010, 05:55 PM
I'm never going to get that Ottke fight from you am I? :nonono:

JK1700
08-01-2010, 12:19 PM
Cut some of the fight and upload it again. Sometimes it just screws up files. It's hiiiiiiighly unlike it screws up 2 different fights in a row.

I'm never going to get that Ottke fight from you am I? :nonono:

I'm sorry, I havent been on much recently to sort this out. It seems to be a problem with the program not the file because whenever I open it, It freezes for a while and then I have to close it.

I'm going to try and un-install it and then download it again and re-install it afterwards. It should work.

I will do my best to have it up for you this week.

AddiX
08-01-2010, 07:02 PM
I'm a pretty big Johnson fan (your not a boxing if your not IMO), and I don't care much for Dawson, but he did not beat him. He kept it very close, but Dawson closed the fight plain and simple.

As far as the other controversal loses, Yeah Johnson had as tough a career as you can have.

And still stuck with boxing and made something out of his career, got to give that man his respect. When it comes to boxing the right way and being an honorable fighter, he is second to none.

Obama
08-01-2010, 07:07 PM
I'm sorry, I havent been on much recently to sort this out. It seems to be a problem with the program not the file because whenever I open it, It freezes for a while and then I have to close it.

I'm going to try and un-install it and then download it again and re-install it afterwards. It should work.

I will do my best to have it up for you this week.

You can always upload it without megamanager.

JK1700
08-02-2010, 10:37 AM
You can always upload it without megamanager.

I'm sorry for the delay. Here you go...

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QNZ9BEAZ
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8I5MWUFB

Join the files with HJ Split.

Get back to me when your done watching it, I'm curious to know how you will score this fight. Iv'e heard German journalists say that Johnson clearly won the fight and Glen says the same but I didnt think he did enough to win. I thought Sven made him fight his fight.

Obama
08-03-2010, 01:04 AM
Scorecard: Sven Ottke vs Glen Johnson

Round 1: 9 ***8211; 10 Johnson
Both guys kept a high guard. Glen***8217;s jab penetrated, Sven***8217;s didn***8217;t.

*Round 2: 9 ***8211; 10 Johnson
Sven was much more competitive this round landing a couple right hands at the end of some small flurries, but he still had no answer for the jab, or the over hand right for that matter which was rarely used.

Round 3: 9 ***8211; 10 Johnson
Sven not only ran too much, but he didn***8217;t let his hands go.

Round 4: 9 ***8211; 10 Johnson
Sven starts the round well but eventually gets beat up and finds himself in full retreat down the stretch.

*Round 5: 10 ***8211; 9 Ottke
First minute clearly belonged to Johnson. Second minute belonged to Ottke even more so. Third minute barely belonged to Johnson. Round was just about even over all, but edge Ottke on landing the best punches.

Round 6: 10 ***8211; 9 Ottke
First clearly won round by Sven. Johnson appeared to take his foot off the gas.

Round 7: 10 ***8211; 9 Ottke
Johnson appears winded and starts missing punches by wide margins.

Round 8: 10 ***8211; 9 Ottke
Johnson musta got bored or something. Seems more interested in screwing around than actually trying to win.

Round 9: 9 ***8211; 10 Johnson
Johnson adopts a new awkward style this round that Ottke just can***8217;t figure out. Ottke***8217;s only success comes when Johnson stops pumping the jab, but it wasn***8217;t enough to steal it.

Round 10: 9 ***8211; 10 Johnson
Round was even until Ottke gave up in the last minute.

Round 11: 10 ***8211; 9 Ottke
This was a round consisting of moments and nothing. Ottke had the better moments. The nothing was due to Ottke***8217;s ability to actually avoid Johnson***8217;s jab this round.

Round 12: 10 ***8211; 9 Ottke
Ottke dominates a gassed Johnson in the last round.

Final Score: 6 ***8211; 6 Even (114 ***8211; 114)

Score Variances:
Scoring all the starred rounds to fighter 1: 7 ***8211; 5 Ottke
Scoring all the starred rounds even: 5 ***8211; 5 ***8211; 2 Even
Scoring all the starred rounds to fighter 2: 5 ***8211; 7 Johnson

----------

2 of the judges cards are legit. But it should have been a draw imo.

Heru
08-03-2010, 03:51 AM
The Daniel Judah draw was a definite robbery. I remember watching that live, **** was terrible.

titanium
08-03-2010, 04:00 AM
Which ones do you have?

I have a few but I asked the guy I got them from, (he has almost all of Johnsons fights) if I could share them here and he said he would rather I didn't because you have him and all his friends on ignore. Sorry

SNVDoublePunch!
08-03-2010, 08:48 AM

Wow. I don't think anybody clearly won or lost the first Dawson/Johnson fight.

Obama
08-03-2010, 11:25 AM
I have a few but I asked the guy I got them from, (he has almost all of Johnsons fights) if I could share them here and he said he would rather I didn't because you have him and all his friends on ignore. Sorry

I'd also like the fights. I don't have anyone on ignore. :boxing:

JK1700
08-04-2010, 04:31 AM

Oh well. I only have the trolls on ignore....

Tobi.G
08-04-2010, 04:58 AM
With Johnson you have a fighter who often took fights on short notice and so he was often not as prepared and good as he should and he was not good managed and had not the best professional training. Hes clearly better than his record says.

raskat
08-13-2012, 07:13 AM
As we all know Glen Johnson complains that he feels he has been ripped off several times in his career and that alot of his "losses" were unfair and should have gone his way. Some people agree and some people just look at him as a sore loser but I want to find some clarity...

When you look at his record on paper it seems as though he was only been beaten convincingly by a select few opponents. Bernard Hopkins (Who knocked him out), and Chad Dawson (in the rematch) and Antonio Tarver (in the rematch). But he has 13 losses.

Of the so called "controversial fights", I have only seen a couple of them. These were his bouts with German champion Sven Ottke and Italian WBU Champion Silvio Branco. Sven Ottke did have alot of close fights, I have seen more of them than most people and I do believe that he beat Johnson. Although it was a very close fight with some very close rounds where neither guy was doing much. I don't think this fight can be considered a robbery because Ottke made Glen fight his tactical kind of fight. However, the bout with Branco was a robbery whichever way you look at it. Glen outlanded, outworked and outpunched Silvio in almost every round. I had him winning by a lopsided 118-111 but the judges screwed him over.

My question is whether you have seen any of the "controversial" fights involving Glen Johnson. In particular the fights with Merqui Sosa, Joseph Kiwanuka, Syd Vanderpool, Omar Sheika, Derrick Harmon and Julio Gonzalez.

If you have seen any of them then I would be very interested in knowing which fights were robberies and which were just very close and could have gone either way. I have alot of respect for Glen Johnson because he had to overcome alot in his career and earned every inch of his success the hard way.

I would appreciate some opinions on this....

I watched Glen Johnson vs Sven Ottke yesterday and I had CLEARLY Johnson winning. So that was definitely a robbery. Some rounds were close, but Johnson clearly edged most of the close rounds. I had it 7 rounds to 3 for Johnson with 2 rounds even.
Another Ottke fight which was a robbery. Recently I scored Ottke vs Charles Brewer 1, and had Brewer winning by 2 or 3 points.

TBear
08-19-2012, 10:25 PM
I have most of them. Some were very close fights that could have gone either way while some were robberies.