View Full Version : Calzaghe vs G-Man

T.McGrady
07-21-2010, 07:41 AM
Prime vs Prime who'd get the W?

#1Assassin
07-21-2010, 08:32 AM
McClellan by manslaughter wasnt an option so i picked by KO.

TheMagicMan
07-21-2010, 08:55 AM
McClellan by manslaughter wasnt an option so i picked by KO.

Uhh...you mixed up the names. Joe C wins every fantasy matchup because hes the GOAT.

sonnyboyx2
07-21-2010, 08:59 AM
Gerald walks chases him down within 2rds leaves JC spreadeagled on the canvas "Face-Down"

TheMagicMan
07-21-2010, 09:14 AM
Gerald walks chases him down within 2rds leaves JC spreadeagled on the canvas "Face-Down"

You clearly have never watched Joe Calzaghe fight, your opinion is worthless, delete your account, start over. Who has ever had to chase Joe down? Just tell me a moment in a fight where Joe was retreating? In 46 fights, just one moment where he wasnt coming forward. It didnt matter if he was just knocked down, if he was killing a big puncher like Eubank on the cards, Kessler etc...Joe always came forward. So the fact that you say someone would have to chase him means you know nothing about boxing.

Stone Roses!
07-21-2010, 09:50 AM
Gerald McClellan would KO Joe Calzaghe.

Grandpa Hopkins and Grandpa Jones dropped Joe in the 1st round. Imagine what a prime Gerald will do to Joe Calzaghe.

Calzaghe's best wins:

Chris Eubank - Past Prime
Bernard Hopkins - Past Prime
Roy Jones Jr - Shot, Past Prime
Jeff Lacy - Prime C-Class Fighter
Mikkel Kessler - Great Fighter in his Prime

Props to Calzaghe for beating Kessler. It was an entertaining fight too. Watched it again a couple days ago.

*Awaits a retort from TheMagicMan* :dance:

JK1700
07-21-2010, 12:53 PM
I would lean towards Gerald because Calzaghe never fought a true explosive puncher. Well, Lacy was considered a big puncher but I dont think you can compare him with the G-Man.

Tyson.
07-21-2010, 01:26 PM
Gerald McClellan would KO Joe Calzaghe.

Grandpa Hopkins and Grandpa Jones dropped Joe in the 1st round. Imagine what a prime Gerald will do to Joe Calzaghe.

Calzaghe's best wins:

Chris Eubank - Past Prime
Bernard Hopkins - Past Prime
Roy Jones Jr - Shot, Past Prime
Jeff Lacy - Prime C-Class Fighter
Mikkel Kessler - Great Fighter in his Prime

Props to Calzaghe for beating Kessler. It was an entertaining fight too. Watched it again a couple days ago.

*Awaits a retort from TheMagicMan* :dance:

Calzaghe was past prime when he was dropped by Hopkins/Jones. Calz was moving up in weight for these fights and his prime is not at LHW. He was only dropped once at SMW, where he then came of the canvus to KO his opponent. His chin was good.

Calzaghe was unlucky to be in an era after Eubank, Collins, Benn and Watson. Most say that Calzaghe would have beaten those fighters in thier prime.

Lacy wasnt a C class fighter, he was touted as the new mike tyson. Its the beating that Calz gave him and the injuries that turned him into a C class fighter.

Calzaghe has a better resume than Mccellan does.

T.McGrady
07-21-2010, 05:29 PM
Calzaghe was past prime when he was dropped by Hopkins/Jones. Calz was moving up in weight for these fights and his prime is not at LHW. He was only dropped once at SMW, where he then came of the canvus to KO his opponent. His chin was good.

Calzaghe was unlucky to be in an era after Eubank, Collins, Benn and Watson. Most say that Calzaghe would have beaten those fighters in thier prime.

Lacy wasnt a C class fighter, he was touted as the new mike tyson. Its the beating that Calz gave him and the injuries that turned him into a C class fighter.

If calzaghe tried to exchange with G-Man, he'd go down early. Calzaghe never fought a fighter as powerfull as mcclellan.

The_Demon
07-21-2010, 05:49 PM
If calzaghe fought smart for the first half of the fight when g-man was at his most dangerous he would win a decision,my only worry would be that calz would end up getting into a war early and get knocked out,the first few rounds being very dangerous for him

PittyPat
07-21-2010, 05:51 PM
He was only dropped once at SMW

Twice, actually.

#1Assassin
07-21-2010, 05:54 PM

Mclellan fought several guys who had good chins. he knocked them out, and although calzaghe did prove he had a good chin he didnt prove he had a hagler like chin which would be necessary to deal with geralds power.

lacy never beat anyone, simple as that. he was a prospect who got outclassed everytime he fought a world class oponent. had he beaten a single world class fighter before joe got to him u could say the beating joe dished out ruined him. but he didnt, lacy never did ****. some writer comparing him to tyson means nothing. WHO DID HE BEAT!? nobody, hense he should be considered a nobody.

mcclellan has a better win than anything on calzaghes resume, julian jackson. and overall i think their resumes are about equal. even if we say calzaghe is the better fighter, styles make fights. joe is simply too sloppy, hes a southpaw who squares up leaving himself wide open for the straight right and mccellan had a pretty decent one of those.

u mentioned in your other post that calzaghe always came forward, that would be his downfall in this fight. he couldnt box mcclellan for 12 rounds without getting chin checked and if he ever opnened up and tried to hurt him (which he wouldnt be able to) he would get flattened even quicker.

McClellan by KNOCKOUT!

The_Demon
07-21-2010, 05:56 PM
I can fully understand why this is split to be honest,its a very tough call

Some people are overrating G-man due to his power and some are overrating calzaghe but i think people need to stop acting like their word is gospel when its a fantasy fight ffs

Zig Zag.
07-21-2010, 06:07 PM

i think it's just the stupid yanks, they've seen his only two fights in america and think he has a crap chin :lol1:

GOD-FR33
07-21-2010, 06:11 PM
Hey man. This is a good post here. J.C. is a good fighter for today but let's look at the facts. He is over-rated. PERIOD! His claim to fame was an old HOPKINS/JONES. Outside of those fights, KESSLER was his toughest fight. HOPKINS put him down with a sneaky right hand because he comes straight forward. The same with JONES except he missed him and caught him with the elbow, but he basically caught him with same punch HOPKINS did. G.M.'s punch was a gift. He fought better fighters, was in a better era, and I think he stretches SLAPPY JOE. J.C. had feathers in his gloves and that would have been a problem when facing a fighter who was as relentless as G.M. His chin was good but wasn't good enough to not be K.O.ed by a puncher so......G.M. by K.O. Don't know which round but it wouldn't have been a long, long fight.

Zig Zag.
07-21-2010, 06:16 PM
Geralds resume is terrible. calzaghe has a better record.

Tyson.
07-21-2010, 06:53 PM
G-mans's best wins:

Mugabi who had been Koed 1 year earlier.
Julian Jackson x2.
Jay Bell a guy who never challenged for a title bar his fight with G-man

So in effect G-man only has one good win which is Jackson.

The vast majority of his resume is bums or journeymen.

BigStereotype
07-21-2010, 06:57 PM
You clearly have never watched Joe Calzaghe fight, your opinion is worthless, delete your account, start over. Who has ever had to chase Joe down? Just tell me a moment in a fight where Joe was retreating? In 46 fights, just one moment where he wasnt coming forward. It didnt matter if he was just knocked down, if he was killing a big puncher like Eubank on the cards, Kessler etc...Joe always came forward. So the fact that you say someone would have to chase him means you know nothing about boxing.

Jeff Lacy tried. Joe was backing up the whole time. He ****ing pummeled Lacy, but he was still backing away. And that's probably - **** that, that is Calzaghe's best performance. So, not only do you not really know boxing as a whole, you don't even really know your fellatio partner. So YOU delete your account, YOU don't get to start over. Just leave.

EDIT: Oh, right. The thread. McClellan wins by mid-round KO.

Zig Zag.
07-21-2010, 07:21 PM
G-mans's best wins:

Mugabi who had been Koed 1 year earlier.
Julian Jackson x2.
Jay Bell a guy who never challenged for a title bar his fight with G-man

So in effect G-man only has one good win which is Jackson.

The vast majority of his resume is bums or journeymen.

Correct

Calzaghe - UD

Stone Roses!
07-22-2010, 03:41 AM
Calzaghe was past prime when he was dropped by Hopkins/Jones.

Ok a few things:

Calzaghe was post-prime when he fought Roy Jones Jr and Bernard Hopkins. Fair enough. I agree with that statement. Now let's look at the parrallels.

Hopkins was 43 years old and Joe 36. Hopkins was 7 years Joe's' senior.
Roy was 3 years Calazghe's senior, was past prime and had already suffered 2 KO losses. Roy was not only past prime but shot.

Calz was moving up in weight for these fights and his prime is not at LHW. He was only dropped once at SMW, where he then came of the canvus to KO his opponent. His chin was good.

Neither Hopkins or Roy's prime was at Light-Heavyweight also, therefore that statement is redundant.

Prior to his fight with Hopkins, Calzaghe had fought 10 fights as a Light-Heavyweight. Hopkins had fought 2 fights at Light-heavyweight. Not to mention Hopkins was a career Middleweight.

Calzaghe's chin was good, relative to the opposition he fought. Name me 1 fighter Joe fought who was a bigger puncher than McClellan?

Most can say whatever they want. Doesn't change the fact most of Joe's notable wins were against Old, Past Prime opposition.

Lacy was exposed as just that. A C-Class fighter. Furthermore nobody is refuting the fact Joe has a better resume than Gerald. We are discussing a head-to-head match-up.

T.McGrady
07-22-2010, 04:50 AM
Guys, i'm not asking who has the better career...

southcentralcar
07-22-2010, 05:03 AM
The G-man by KO. Calzaghe aint nothing but a hypejob. he's got 1 good win against kessler thats it.

damned1974
07-22-2010, 05:16 AM

Actually, he was dropped by BOTH Byron Mitchell and Kabery Salem (sp)...

McClellan as we know was not bothered by awkward fighters either,nor speed,nor power-(note, he whipped Roy Jones in his amateur days and ktfo of Julian Jackson).

tyger
07-22-2010, 05:23 AM
I think if Joe could get through the first six rounds it would be his. Probably by late stoppage. But if not McClellans right hand would be it for the southpaw.

SirTomJones
07-22-2010, 06:30 AM
I don't think you can have too many questions about Calzaghe's chin.

The last two fights were him past prime and moving up in weight.

I think Calzaghe would win by UD.

Too many people on Calzaghe's nuts and too many people who simply hate on Calzaghe to get an accurate and honest result in these polls in boxingscene.

sonnyboyx2
07-22-2010, 08:21 AM

i have watched far more of Calzaghe that you have ever watched.. i sat ringside in Sheffield to watch his fight with Eubank (weight-drained) in 1997, i also seen his fights live` against Reid & Starrie after which i gave up on Calzaghe as he was `Nothing-Special` IMO Robin Reid was "Robbed" of the decision in Newcastle and Calzaghe`s fight with Dave Starrie is IMO the worst world title fight in the history of professional boxing, ` it was utter garbage` Calzaghe then continued to fight Class D opponents in Thornberry, Pudwill, Sheika, Jimmenez, Salem, Mkrcthyan, Ashira, Manfredo which proved absolutely nothing.. he then beat 2 over-hyped fighters in Kessler & Lacy before fighting 2 well over the hill legends who was in their 40s Bhop & Jones Jr... IMO he lost to Hopkins... Gerald McClellan would have butchered Calzaghe within 2rds

TheMagicMan
07-22-2010, 11:11 AM
i have watched far more of Calzaghe that you have ever watched.. i sat ringside in Sheffield to watch his fight with Eubank (weight-drained) in 1997, i also seen his fights live` against Reid & Starrie after which i gave up on Calzaghe as he was `Nothing-Special` IMO Robin Reid was "Robbed" of the decision in Newcastle and Calzaghe`s fight with Dave Starrie is IMO the worst world title fight in the history of professional boxing, ` it was utter garbage` Calzaghe then continued to fight Class D opponents in Thornberry, Pudwill, Sheika, Jimmenez, Salem, Mkrcthyan, Ashira, Manfredo which proved absolutely nothing.. he then beat 2 over-hyped fighters in Kessler & Lacy before fighting 2 well over the hill legends who was in their 40s Bhop & Jones Jr... IMO he lost to Hopkins... Gerald McClellan would have butchered Calzaghe within 2rds

haha I stopped reading when you said Reid was robbed,tell me, which rounds did Reid win. Cause thats bs. By the way the only judge who had Reid winning also ruled Dimitrenko and Eddie chambers...a draw. The other judges had it 116-111. And how in your opinion did he lose to Hopkins, so you think he really gave Hopkins a low blow? The only judge who had Joe losing to Bhop...was a woman. I guess it takes someone without a dick to think Joe lost that fight. Fits you well.

Oh and joe wasnt backing away the whole Lacy fight, are you on drugs? Joe was walking straight into Lacy or standing right in front of him.

The Reid winning thing is hilarious, cant wait for your round breakdown you liar.

sonnyboyx2
07-22-2010, 11:29 AM
haha I stopped reading when you said Reid was robbed,tell me, which rounds did Reid win. Cause thats bs. By the way the only judge who had Reid winning also ruled Dimitrenko and Eddie chambers...a draw. The other judges had it 116-111. And how in your opinion did he lose to Hopkins, so you think he really gave Hopkins a low blow? The only judge who had Joe losing to Bhop...was a woman. I guess it takes someone without a dick to think Joe lost that fight. Fits you well.

Oh and joe wasnt backing away the whole Lacy fight, are you on drugs? Joe was walking straight into Lacy or standing right in front of him.

The Reid winning thing is hilarious, cant wait for your round breakdown you liar.

Lacy was a tomato can like Pudwill, Ashira & Mkrcthyan.. Robin Reid was "Robbed" against Calzaghe with Calzaghe refusing to ever grant him a rematch even with public demand for it running high.

What has Dimitrenko & Chambers got to do with this or a judge being a female?

Hopkins vs Calzaghe was a very debatable decision to many boxing fans although IMO Calzaghe vs Reid was far more debatable.

Promoter Frank Warren tells the best stories about Joe Calzaghe like when Calzaghe fained injury so as to avoid fighting Glen Johnson twice.

But who has Calzaghe beaten that makes him in your opinion your choice to beat McClellan?... which top flight fighter has he beaten who was at the top of their game`?

address my remark about Calzaghe vs Starrie being "The worst world title fight in boxing history".... Calzaghe was a fraud who was afraid to leave his own back yard or to fight the best opponents and is also a terrible role-model to young sports fans with him being a "Drug-user" which leads me to believe that his reason for never leaving his beloved backyard was because he was using PEDs throughout his career which is a claim i have heard many times.

rsf
07-22-2010, 11:34 AM
calzaghe for me has his hands to low and has been put down because of this if the G-MAN were to catch calzaghe as i think he would then its goodnight calzaghe even if he gets to his feet he is going to be put straight back down and stay down. calzaghe hands down approach would of seen him lose this match-up

KlownvonnomaD
07-22-2010, 11:40 AM
Calzaghe on points.

G-man might score a early knock down.
But there is no way in hell McClellan could last 12 rounds at Calzaghe pace.
If you look at McClellan/Benn, McClellan was gassed by the 4/5 round.

TheMagicMan
07-22-2010, 12:24 PM
calzaghe for me has his hands to low and has been put down because of this if the G-MAN were to catch calzaghe as i think he would then its goodnight calzaghe even if he gets to his feet he is going to be put straight back down and stay down. calzaghe hands down approach would of seen him lose this match-up

and youre basing this on what? the fact Joe was never knocked down in his prime? When was he even rocked?

The_Demon
07-22-2010, 12:30 PM
Lol at all the pathetic haters infesting this thread,its sad that a discussion focused on a fantasy match-up between two very good fighters has to turn into a slanging match between *****es trying to patronise everyone and act like they know it all,shame on you kids for bringing this **** into the history section

GameGod
07-22-2010, 05:56 PM
Because Super Middleweight was not McClellan's weight class, it's easier to say that Calzaghe would have won a clear U.D.

BG_Knocc_Out
07-22-2010, 07:24 PM
Does everyone forget that Hopkins and Jones were within 3-4 years range of Calzaghe's age?

Calzaghe is to slick and too fast for McClellan.

Zig Zag.
07-22-2010, 07:33 PM
Because Super Middleweight was not McClellan's weight class, it's easier to say that Calzaghe would have won a clear U.D.

you got the best sig on this forum. bloody hilarious :rofl:

Scott9945
07-23-2010, 01:44 AM
Calzaghe would have boxed the ears off McClellan.

Stone Roses!
07-23-2010, 02:12 AM
Does everyone forget that Hopkins and Jones were within 3-4 years range of Calzaghe's age?

Calzaghe is to slick and too fast for McClellan.
What are you stupid?

3-4 years range??? No he wasn't

Hopkins was 7 years older than Joe when they fought.

Don't make **** up idiot.

sonnyboyx2
07-23-2010, 02:39 AM
and youre basing this on what? the fact Joe was never knocked down in his prime? When was he even rocked?

Mitchell put him down so did Jones Jr. and BHop

rsf
07-23-2010, 08:30 AM

mitchell put calzaghe down and calzaghe leaves his hands down to much also calzaghe never faced a puncher of G-MANS level of power

TheMagicMan
07-23-2010, 09:03 AM
mitchell put calzaghe down and calzaghe leaves his hands down to much also calzaghe never faced a puncher of G-MANS level of power

Calzaghe was 31 years old when Mitchell knocked him down...was Calzaghe hurt? How long did he stay on the canvas for? 2 seconds? What did he do to Mitchell? Oh yeah, beat his ass and KO;d him that round?

You do realize the reason Joe went down 4 times inhis career was from lack of sparring due to injury to his hands. All of the knockdowns, including RJJ's forearm shiver, were early and simply due to his body overreacting to being hit because he hadnt been hit in a long time. Want to know one of 50 reasons why Vitali never gets knocked down? The dude spars all day.

So if a fighter gets knocked down and gets right back up he has a weak chin? Well, Ali's chin was **** by your definition then because freaking Henry Cooper knocked the Greatest Joke of All Time down and unconcious. When was joe hurt? When was his faced messed up. The worst damage ive ever seen was from a forearm shot and joe was smiling about it.

Joe was knocked down 4 times in 46 fights.....Every single time he was knocked down he came back and won the fight.

TheMagicMan
07-23-2010, 09:08 AM

Oh and if KO'ing bums is how you measure punching power, Joe has 22 KO's in his first 23 fights. Most in the first 2 rounds. Oh and Joe didnt have the 2 embarrassing losses. Anyone who thinks Joe would lose this is just a hater.

turdleburgle
07-23-2010, 10:08 AM
Promoter Frank Warren tells the best stories about Joe Calzaghe like when Calzaghe fained injury so as to avoid fighting Glen Johnson twice.

But who has Calzaghe beaten that makes him in your opinion your choice to beat McClellan?... which top flight fighter has he beaten who was at the top of their game`?

address my remark about Calzaghe vs Starrie being "The worst world title fight in boxing history".... Calzaghe was a fraud who was afraid to leave his own back yard or to fight the best opponents and is also a terrible role-model to young sports fans with him being a "Drug-user" which leads me to believe that his reason for never leaving his beloved backyard was because he was using PEDs throughout his career which is a claim i have heard many times.

lmao did calzaghe bully you in school or something?

joe never ducked glen johnson as he was injured.

how can you accuse him of peds when you have no evidence lol?

TheMagicMan
07-23-2010, 11:03 AM
lmao did calzaghe bully you in school or something?

joe never ducked glen johnson as he was injured.

how can you accuse him of peds when you have no evidence lol?

Yep, when I think of guys who probably used steroids...I think of Joe Calzaghe.....The way he never really had any definition, never lifted during training, the way he never had violent outbursts outside of the ring, and the way his forehead looks exactly the same oh and how his power lessened throughout his career, oh and how his trainer was known steroid pusher Enzo Calzaghe....yep he is the first person who comes to mind when i think roids. All the facts are there if you dig deep enough.

sonnyboyx2
07-24-2010, 02:14 AM
Yep, when I think of guys who probably used steroids...I think of Joe Calzaghe.....The way he never really had any definition, never lifted during training, the way he never had violent outbursts outside of the ring, and the way his forehead looks exactly the same oh and how his power lessened throughout his career, oh and how his trainer was known steroid pusher Enzo Calzaghe....yep he is the first person who comes to mind when i think roids. All the facts are there if you dig deep enough.

Calzaghe is a drug abuser

Obama
07-24-2010, 02:27 AM
Calzaghe was always a sucker for a straight right hand. G-Man had one of the best. G-Man by KO.

Spray_resistant
07-24-2010, 03:21 AM
Joe would out point him, seriously the guy was the real deal and I just wish he stayed around a bit longer to show the doubters.

G-man other than his power, I don't find to be over all very impressive not great speed some good basic boxing skills but nothing that great really.

Jim Jeffries
07-24-2010, 03:43 AM
I'm not sure who McClellan beat besides the rather glass chinned Julian Jackson, or what meaningful wins he had above MW. No doubt he had some pop and might be able to knock Calzaghe down cold early. But I think Joe gets back up to outpoint him. My opinion might be different had Gerald's career not been tragically cut short, but it is what it is.

Miburo
07-24-2010, 03:50 AM
Calzaghe has shown himself to come into the ring cold, taking a bit of time to warm up/adjust that the G-Man would not let him have safely. Additionally, Calzaghe goes right at his opponents from the opening bell despite having lackluster power, which would play right into McClellan's hands. If he went down like he did against Hopkins or Jones McClellan wouldn't fail like they did to finish it immediately. Calzaghe's only hope is to somehow survive and take him deep to win a decision. When G-Man predicted a first round KO, he did everything in his power to achieve that result - I could see anywhere from KO1 to mid-round stoppage in this one. Just a terrible style match-up.

rsf
07-24-2010, 07:30 AM
Calzaghe was 31 years old when Mitchell knocked him down...was Calzaghe hurt? How long did he stay on the canvas for? 2 seconds? What did he do to Mitchell? Oh yeah, beat his ass and KO;d him that round?

You do realize the reason Joe went down 4 times inhis career was from lack of sparring due to injury to his hands. All of the knockdowns, including RJJ's forearm shiver, were early and simply due to his body overreacting to being hit because he hadnt been hit in a long time. Want to know one of 50 reasons why Vitali never gets knocked down? The dude spars all day.

So if a fighter gets knocked down and gets right back up he has a weak chin? Well, Ali's chin was **** by your definition then because freaking Henry Cooper knocked the Greatest Joke of All Time down and unconcious. When was joe hurt? When was his faced messed up. The worst damage ive ever seen was from a forearm shot and joe was smiling about it.

Joe was knocked down 4 times in 46 fights.....Every single time he was knocked down he came back and won the fight.

i dont think i wrote anything bad about calzaghe's chin it is just my opinion that his hands would be too low to often against a puncher of geralds power .so stop throwing your toys out of the pram and putting words into my mouth