View Full Version : How would the super heavyweights have fared in Louis's era?

Bright-Eyes
07-20-2010, 02:53 AM
Guys like Riddick Bowe,Lennox Lewis and the Klitschko brothers for example.

Not just against Louis but also against the top contenders of that era.

JAB5239
07-20-2010, 03:03 AM

All would contend but I'd give Bowe the only shot at beating Louis and he'd have to be at his best. Lewis has a shot but his chin is a big question mark against the likes of Joe Louis. Both Wlad and Vitaly would get chopped down by Joe. Against today's sorry ass heavyweights their predictable styles work. Louis would beat them just like he did Carnera, Simon and both Baers. Jmo.

titanium
07-20-2010, 03:06 AM
All would be contenders but alot things would hurt them like going 15 rounds.

One more round
07-20-2010, 03:42 AM
Wlad and Vitali pose threats but I think Joe's superior speed and accuracy gives him wins over both. Even if they give him issues early, maybe hurt or drop him, Joe comes back strong and beats both, most likely.

Bowe is a huge threat, and he vs Joe would be a cracker of a fight. I can see both getting hurt, and it could go either way.

Lewis is also a tough obstacle, Joe has the power to stop him, but Lewis can definitely hurt Joe too. I can see Joe being able to get in close and stop Lewis, but Lewis has the skills and power to keep him at bay and knock him out. Could go either way.

Against the top contenders of the day, Bowe, Lewis and the Klitschkos do very well. They are big, skilled and all have fight ending power. Although they are also vulnerable, Bowe, Lewis, and Wlad were all hurtable, and Vitali cuts and can break down with injuries. Still though, they would be Joe's biggest threats as champ.

sonnyboyx2
07-20-2010, 03:44 AM
Joe Louis would crucify them all

Vadrigar.
07-20-2010, 03:48 AM
Joe Louis would chop them down bit by bit.

frankenfrank
07-20-2010, 05:43 AM
They would destroy almost everyone except Louis with ease , while Louis and Baer might have stood a (reduced) punchers' chance against Wlad and Lewis , most probably they would just gotten destroyed like McCline , Austin , Barrett , Grant and many others were. Vitali would have systematically destroyed them ,
everyone should understand that if Vitali is not a hard hitter , it is because he thinks of the post Byrd Vitali whose shoulder was damaged in that fight from missing (hard punches) so much, but Louis and Baer were not Byrd , and the pre Byrd (or a never Byrd) Vitali would have destroyed them. Schmelling would not even be able to absorb either SHW punches for long and would be dismantled in the clinches.

Sugarj
07-20-2010, 06:45 AM
I admit that the best versions of Bowe, Lewis, Vitali and Wlad would probably dominate over many of Louis's contenders.

Walcott might come up trumps here or there and Baer has a right hand's chance over Lewis and Wlad. But generally the prime versions of these guys would likely fill up the top half of 1937-49's contenders.

Beating Louis is another task altogether, but all of these guys pose serious risks..........on power alone.

GoogleMe
07-20-2010, 07:06 AM
I'm a realist, I really think modern heavyweights would win almost any fight at that age with ease. They had no real footwork, slow and their combinations were really bad.
Lewis, Holyfield, Bowe (if he had some work ethics), Wladimir, Vitali and even Tyson would beat anyone from that era.

GoogleMe
07-20-2010, 07:07 AM
Punchers chance is all I give them...

r.burgundy
07-20-2010, 07:47 AM
they would dominate that era.louis would be the only top contender,and even he would be on the bottom end of that.he wouldnt stand a snowball chance in hell of beating vitali,bowe,or lewis.nor would any contender from that era

TheMagicMan
07-20-2010, 09:01 AM
If you time traveled Eddie Chambers back to any era pre 1960 he would be known as the greatest fighter of all time. He'd probably be undefeated and 220-0-0. Anyone saying Vitali would get chopped down by Louis is a joke. I mean come on. Im not sure if people here actually watched Louis fight, or wlad and vitali fight. Wlad would keep his distance and punch Louis into poverty. Max Schmelling would have to get in the ring and save Louis's life. I mean come on, people like Wlad didnt exist, Wlad has muchmuch better footwork and balance than Louis ever dreamed of. Wlads chin isnt stone,but neither was Louis's.

The_Demon
07-20-2010, 12:40 PM
All would contend but I'd give Bowe the only shot at beating Louis and he'd have to be at his best. Lewis has a shot but his chin is a big question mark against the likes of Joe Louis. Both Wlad and Vitaly would get chopped down by Joe. Against today's sorry ass heavyweights their predictable styles work. Louis would beat them just like he did Carnera, Simon and both Baers. Jmo.

spot on,you nailed it

sonnyboyx2
07-20-2010, 01:19 PM
If you time traveled Eddie Chambers back to any era pre 1960 he would be known as the greatest fighter of all time. He'd probably be undefeated and 220-0-0. Anyone saying Vitali would get chopped down by Louis is a joke. I mean come on. Im not sure if people here actually watched Louis fight, or wlad and vitali fight. Wlad would keep his distance and punch Louis into poverty. Max Schmelling would have to get in the ring and save Louis's life. I mean come on, people like Wlad didnt exist, Wlad has muchmuch better footwork and balance than Louis ever dreamed of. Wlads chin isnt stone,but neither was Louis's.

so Cory Sanders & Lamon Brewster would have a great shot of beating the best heavyweight who ever lived is what you are saying.. coz they both put Wlads lights-out

SBleeder
07-20-2010, 02:05 PM
so Cory Sanders & Lamon Brewster would have a great shot of beating the best heavyweight who ever lived is what you are saying.. coz they both put Wlads lights-out

MagicMan also believes that Calzaghe is the GOAT.

Megamasterking
07-20-2010, 02:38 PM

First those "super" HW had to able to do 15 round and most of them just cant... and just like Mayweather Sr. said : Ali would make circle around those guys and kill them... I know that Ali is not in the same era but it does prove that those big HW are not great, they are average. So Joe Louis and friends would have killed them... Its my opinion...

TheMagicMan
07-20-2010, 03:27 PM
First those "super" HW had to able to do 15 round and most of them just cant... and just like Mayweather Sr. said : Ali would make circle around those guys and kill them... I know that Ali is not in the same era but it does prove that those big HW are not great, they are average. So Joe Louis and friends would have killed them... Its my opinion...

Wlad and Vitali cant make 15 rounds? Cite please...Cause Vit and Wlad easily can go 15 rounds...not that the fight would go that long, but come on, Vitali at 39 years old goes 12 rounds and doesnt even break a sweat throwing more punches in 12 rounds that Louis ever threw in 15. So yeah, I dont think itd be any problem for either of the Klitschkos. Wlad got exhausted early on, but Vitali has never gotten exhausted in his fights. He threw over 1000 punches at 39 years of age...think he'd be fine in his prime going 3 more rounds.

sonnyboyx2
07-20-2010, 03:28 PM
they would dominate that era.louis would be the only top contender,and even he would be on the bottom end of that.he wouldnt stand a snowball chance in hell of beating vitali,bowe,or lewis.nor would any contender from that era

Lou Duva said,"Lennox is another Carnera" .. well if Lou Duva is correct then Joe Louis would destroy them all within 7rds as Carnera was bigger & better than them all

r.burgundy
07-20-2010, 03:42 PM
Lou Duva said,"Lennox is another Carnera" .. well if Lou Duva is correct then Joe Louis would destroy them all within 7rds as Carnera was bigger & better than them all

lmao if lennox was canera as duva claimed im sure bowe woulnt have thrown that belt in the trash

TheMagicMan
07-20-2010, 03:57 PM

If you really think Lewis was anythign like Carnera...then you dont know anything about boxing or are too biased abotu the old timers to be taken seriously

McGrain
07-20-2010, 04:27 PM
If you take the best fighters out of any era and plonk them in another era they will excel.

GameGod
07-20-2010, 04:32 PM
Wlad and Vitali pose threats but I think Joe's superior speed and accuracy gives him wins over both. Even if they give him issues early, maybe hurt or drop him, Joe comes back strong and beats both, most likely.

Bowe is a huge threat, and he vs Joe would be a cracker of a fight. I can see both getting hurt, and it could go either way.

Lewis is also a tough obstacle, Joe has the power to stop him, but Lewis can definitely hurt Joe too. I can see Joe being able to get in close and stop Lewis, but Lewis has the skills and power to keep him at bay and knock him out. Could go either way.

Against the top contenders of the day, Bowe, Lewis and the Klitschkos do very well. They are big, skilled and all have fight ending power. Although they are also vulnerable, Bowe, Lewis, and Wlad were all hurtable, and Vitali cuts and can break down with injuries. Still though, they would be Joe's biggest threats as champ.

Great post, the only bit where I would add something is that in my opinion Lewis deserves a slight advantage because of his size and skills. Besides that I think you were right, I doubt Louis can KO Vitali in 12 but maybe in 15.

TheMagicMan
07-20-2010, 05:55 PM
Great post, the only bit where I would add something is that in my opinion Lewis deserves a slight advantage because of his size and skills. Besides that I think you were right, I doubt Louis can KO Vitali in 12 but maybe in 15.

Except you both are idiots and dont know jack about boxing. Louis gassed around the 10th round in most of his matches, only went 15 rounds 4 times, lost once, 2 sd's, and a win. That was it, oh and his only 2 KOs after the 12th were against a guy who weighed 170 pounds, and fat old Abe Simon (who louis fought twice in one year despite fat old Abe losing before each match...). So yeah he was going to be able to KO Vitali whose never even been knocked down by much bigger and stronger guys.

Sam Peter is like Joe Louis on steroids. Sam Peter would ko1 Joe Louis and laugh about it all the way to Denny's. We have the tapes, we can watch him fight, the dude wasnt as active as todays best heavies, and he wasnt nearly as quick, nor did he have the skills or the balance as wlad.

Louis never knocked guys out late, he fought a ton of bums in his career.

He literally fought a guy after a draw to the great Turkey Thompson, and a loss to the great Lern Franklin...he gave a guy coming off of those 2 fights a title bout..........Louis is almost as overrated as Ali... Almost. But year Louis wouldnt stand a chance today, David Haye would murder him in the ring.

Haye is bigger, faster, stronger, with better hand speed, a harder punch and pretty much better than Louis at everything. Hell Louis more that Vit had a history of beign KTFO in later rounds. He got KO'ed by an eastern european gatekeeper who weighed under 200 pounds.

People on here are crazy, Vitali would KO louis 1, Wlad Ko Louis 1, Lewis KO Louis 1, Sosnowski KO Louis 1, Bowe KO LOuis 1, Tyson KO Louis -1.

The games changed. Louis wouldnt even be a HW today.

sonnyboyx2
07-21-2010, 01:04 AM
Except you both are idiots and dont know jack about boxing. Louis gassed around the 10th round in most of his matches, only went 15 rounds 4 times, lost once, 2 sd's, and a win. That was it, oh and his only 2 KOs after the 12th were against a guy who weighed 170 pounds, and fat old Abe Simon (who louis fought twice in one year despite fat old Abe losing before each match...). So yeah he was going to be able to KO Vitali whose never even been knocked down by much bigger and stronger guys.

Sam Peter is like Joe Louis on steroids. Sam Peter would ko1 Joe Louis and laugh about it all the way to Denny's. We have the tapes, we can watch him fight, the dude wasnt as active as todays best heavies, and he wasnt nearly as quick, nor did he have the skills or the balance as wlad.

He literally fought a guy after a draw to the great Turkey Thompson, and a loss to the great Lern Franklin...he gave a guy coming off of those 2 fights a title bout..........Louis is almost as overrated as Ali... Almost. But year Louis wouldnt stand a chance today, David Haye would murder him in the ring.

Haye is bigger, faster, stronger, with better hand speed, a harder punch and pretty much better than Louis at everything. Hell Louis more that Vit had a history of beign KTFO in later rounds. He got KO'ed by an eastern european gatekeeper who weighed under 200 pounds.

People on here are crazy, Vitali would KO louis 1, Wlad Ko Louis 1, Lewis KO Louis 1, Sosnowski KO Louis 1, Bowe KO LOuis 1, Tyson KO Louis -1.

your getting funnier by the day... i think the bottom line of your above tirade is that Wlad & Vitali would not even be contenders in Joe Louis era... Louis went 60-1 in his prime and is rated by most boxing historians (IBHOF) as the greatest heavyweight who ever lived

JAB5239
07-21-2010, 03:22 AM

Wlad and Vitali cant make 15 rounds? Cite please...Cause Vit and Wlad easily can go 15 rounds...not that the fight would go that long, but come on, Vitali at 39 years old goes 12 rounds and doesnt even break a sweat throwing more punches in 12 rounds that Louis ever threw in 15. So yeah, I dont think itd be any problem for either of the Klitschkos. Wlad got exhausted early on, but Vitali has never gotten exhausted in his fights. He threw over 1000 punches at 39 years of age...think he'd be fine in his prime going 3 more rounds.

Im offering 100k to anyone who can find me three serious posts that are more retarded than these. Good luck.

titanium
07-21-2010, 03:45 AM
Im offering 100k to anyone who can find me three serious posts that are more retarded than these. Good luck.

Can't do it!!

JAB5239
07-21-2010, 04:06 AM
Can't do it!!

Im not so sure about that. frankenfrank has a few beauties that are comparable in my opinion.

One more round
07-24-2010, 09:06 PM
Themagicman has got to be an alt, just stirring up **** because he knows people will react to it. I really can't see him as being serious.