View Full Version : Motivation

Grand Champ
07-19-2010, 07:02 PM
What's good Fellas?

Got a question for the board.. What gets you going at the gym and what's your motivation for eating healthy.

For the record I've always trained hard.. Never been a fanatic with healthy food though and that haven't been a problem. Lately though I've had a hard time dragging myself to the gym and I'm starting to gain weight. Got no real motivation to get back in shape except I don't want to end up a fat slob.

So my question remains: what do you use as motivation to drag yourself to the gym those ****ty rainy days when you don't really feel like it..?

paloalto00
07-19-2010, 08:12 PM
What's good Fellas?

Got a question for the board.. What gets you going at the gym and what's your motivation for eating healthy.

For the record I've always trained hard.. Never been a fanatic with healthy food though and that haven't been a problem. Lately though I've had a hard time dragging myself to the gym and I'm starting to gain weight. Got no real motivation to get back in shape except I don't want to end up a fat slob.

So my question remains: what do you use as motivation to drag yourself to the gym those ****ty rainy days when you don't really feel like it..?

My motivation is my hope to be successful. I never had great grades, I don't have scholarships to get me through college.. so I box. Don't get me wrong, I take a day off here and there; but my hunger always brings me back. Personally, I'm not gonna lie.. I don't like to fight; but if it means to take me somewhere in life then I'm going to do it

Spartacus Sully
07-19-2010, 08:55 PM
What's good Fellas?

take a week off, youll miss it.

ScottDBA
07-19-2010, 09:32 PM
Never really had issues with motivation. Boxing is what I truly love to do.

Cuauhtémoc1520
07-20-2010, 10:47 AM
Results, that's what motivates me for myself.

What motivates me to train is the love I have for it and the kids. There is nothing better than seeing a kid do what I taught him, it's like a light goes off in his head.

Grand Champ
07-20-2010, 12:58 PM
Results, that's what motivates me for myself.

What motivates me to train is the love I have for it and the kids. There is nothing better than seeing a kid do what I taught him, it's like a light goes off in his head.

Results is a great motivator indeed but results comes after you've dragged your ass to the gym after a few times.

I need good kick in the ass again :lol1:

Double Jab
07-20-2010, 01:18 PM
Women.

Looking good, and women.

The best anti-depressant in the world is being able to take off your shirt, look in the mirror and say, "I could do some laundry on that washboard, shabow!"

And women like it too. A life without women isnt worth it. So just remember, the more you sweat, the better you look. And the better you look, the better of a human being you are.

I remember what got me back in the gym. I was filling up my gas tank and I walked to the inside. At the time it was late, and I was wearing a skin tight white t-shirt, and a car full of girls started whooping and hollaring as they drove by. Best feeling in the world considering the bad day I was having.

It was then I knew, no matter how bad my life is, as long as I look amazing, its never all bad.

Aperion
07-20-2010, 01:33 PM
Results is a great motivator indeed but results comes after you've dragged your ass to the gym after a few times.

In that case a lack of results may be what motivates you now - say if you go back to the gym and get your butt kicked in sparring, that may be the good kick in the ass you're looking for. Perhaps look for a challenge to intentionally get your butt kicked.

The true evolution of a person is when one can use one's reason to understand that discipline is necessary for a result you cannot currently see. But there may be other motivators in your life - look at your friends and family - are there any bad examples you can use as motivation? For example, I love my father, but lets face it, he's an aging obese diabetic and I do not want to end up like that, so that is a part of motivation. Everytime I eat a big pizza and feel too lazy to hit the bag and stuff, I realize where I'm headed and that corrects the course.

paloalto00
07-20-2010, 03:30 PM
In that case a lack of results may be what motivates you now - say if you go back to the gym and get your butt kicked in sparring, that may be the good kick in the ass you're looking for. Perhaps look for a challenge to intentionally get your butt kicked.

The true evolution of a person is when one can use one's reason to understand that discipline is necessary for a result you cannot currently see. But there may be other motivators in your life - look at your friends and family - are there any bad examples you can use as motivation? For example, I love my father, but lets face it, he's an aging obese diabetic and I do not want to end up like that, so that is a part of motivation. Everytime I eat a big pizza and feel too lazy to hit the bag and stuff, I realize where I'm headed and that corrects the course.

This may sound weird, but I actually like getting whipped in sparring. I've been sparring with the All-Marine team, being able to hold my own with them gives me confidence that my opponent won't be near as good as they are

Bronsky
07-20-2010, 03:47 PM
First, getting wooped on by better people at the gym and second place if not, tied with first is double-jab's post.

Cuauhtémoc1520
07-20-2010, 04:29 PM

Not really man, results can be more than just what you see. I know that when I start working out again, I FEEL better, I have more energy, more stamina and I like that.

Then when I look in the mirror and see the 4 pack turn into a 6 pack, it get's me motivated.

I also psyche myself out sometimes, when I want that desert or that fried food, I ask myself if it's worth it......the answer is always no.

I do have a cheat day though, on Sunday I drink and eat whatever I want.

Bullrush
07-20-2010, 04:39 PM
maybe you should take a brake, like a few weeks or so.

i dont have this problem i love boxing i love sparring i love hitting the bag i love working out and pushing myself. maybe youre just burned out and need a break. i dont think this has anything to do with boxing because you gain weight so you dont do anything at all i assume (working out etc)

S H A R K B O Y
07-21-2010, 04:11 AM
Think of a time when you had your adrenaline pumping and you actually felt pumped up to do something. For example, when I need to get my adrenaline going when I have no motivation I just think of when I used to play football in highschool; those nerve racking moments just before the game stretching out, in the locker room waiting to go out on the field.

Or maybe think about how hard elite fighters train, what goes through their mind. They train hard and do it to get to where they're at. Review fights like Pacquiao-JMM I/II through your head, how they box, etc. Watching videos of boxers training always instantly made me feel energetic to emulate their work ethic.

alza1988
07-21-2010, 06:04 AM
I used to have the same problem man till I bought Rosstraining full throttle conditioning .Now I just do indroor conditioning circuits hiit and the weight stays off easy .I'm working on new goals now man and seriously trying to find motivation to stay off the booze for life and also eat clean for life .I'm seriously talking not touch another drop ever or hardly another gram of fat ,roadwork a good strength and bags circuit and jumprope.You could buy a Rosstraining book and also on rainy days do indoor conditioning circuits .
http://www.rosstraining.com/products.html
http://www.rosstraining.com/articles/indooroptions.html

discodave
07-21-2010, 08:17 AM
I used to have the same problem man till I bought Rosstraining full throttle conditioning .Now I just do indroor conditioning circuits hiit and the weight stays off easy .I'm working on new goals now man and seriously trying to find motivation to stay off the booze for life and also eat clean for life .I'm seriously talking not touch another drop ever or hardly another gram of fat ,roadwork a good strength and bags circuit and jumprope.You could buy a Rosstraining book and also on rainy days do indoor conditioning circuits .
http://www.rosstraining.com/products.html
http://www.rosstraining.com/articles/indooroptions.html

Get yourself back down to the boxing gym then and get some sparring done mate. Not seen you in a while.:boxing:

I'm assuming you know who I am.

alza1988
07-21-2010, 08:34 AM
Get yourself back down to the boxing gym then and get some sparring done mate. Not seen you in a while.:boxing:

I'm assuming you know who I am.

Aye mate haha man .I'm defintley coming back soon man .Tomorrow or Tuesday for defenits man .

discodave
07-21-2010, 08:38 AM
I get motivation by thinking about how good it feels after you have done an intense workout with sweat pouring off you. I am always trying to better myself. Every punch I throw on the heavy bag, pads etc - I make sure it is a meaningful punch and could hopefully score me points or do some damage.

When I train 5 or 6 times a week and it comes to a Friday night and I am sitting relaxing I get satisfaction from the fact that I have trained very hard throughout the week and deserve some rest and a little junk food.

Last night, however, I took a night off and ate a tremendous amount of junk food. I'd safely say I ate more than 5,500 calories yesterday. Bearing in mind I am 5'11" and 162.5lbs.

I'm feeling pretty crappy because of it just now - but I will go for a 4/5 mile road run tonight and finish with some ab-work and press-ups. My diet will also be very clean again.

Everyone is allowed a mega cheat day once in a while.

discodave
07-21-2010, 08:40 AM
Aye mate haha man .I'm defintley coming back soon man .Tomorrow or Tuesday for defenits man .

Glad to hear it.

The gym is only opened on Tuesday and Thursdays just now because of the close-season. But pre-season begins beginning of August and the Sunday session will start again.

Get yourself back for August anyway - there will be loads of sparring.

What weight are you sitting at just now mate?

alza1988
07-21-2010, 08:49 AM
Glad to hear it.

The gym is only opened on Tuesday and Thursdays just now because of the close-season. But pre-season begins beginning of August and the Sunday session will start again.

Get yourself back for August anyway - there will be loads of sparring.

What weight are you sitting at just now mate?

Rougly about 160 man 8 percent bodyfat .For next season i'm giving it 100 percent mate for defenits .I'll hopefully get down to 152 or if I can't then get down to about 5 percent bodyfat eating clean then maybe bulk up to middleweight.That's the killer man no lightmiddle I can make 154 .I was thinking maybe something similar to this or just chill eat clean cut longroadwork sessions and do extra strength
http://www.rosstraining.com/articles/hardcore.html

discodave
07-21-2010, 08:54 AM
Rougly about 160 man 8 percent bodyfat .For next season i'm giving it 100 percent mate for defenits .I'll hopefully get down to 152 or if I can't then get down to about 5 percent bodyfat eating clean then maybe bulk up to middleweight.That's the killer man no lightmiddle I can make 154 .I was thinking maybe something similar to this or just chill eat clean cut longroadwork sessions and do extra strength
http://www.rosstraining.com/articles/hardcore.html

Off the top of my head - 160lbs is roughly 72.5kg. I was talking to someone last night who said that there are new weight divisions for next season;

67kg
71kg
75kg

That is ideal for me as I will now be able to cut down and fight at 71kg. If I were you then I'd do the same mate and just keep working on speed, technique and get plenty of sparring in.

Also - make sure you are doing the roadwork - it's essential.

Speak soon, maybe even see you tomorrow at the gym if you go.

alza1988
07-21-2010, 09:00 AM
Bearing in mind I am 5'11" and 162.5lbs.

Yep mate i'm roughly the same weight man only i'm only 5.8 .It's good but cause it spurs new motivation and I know I have to start working harder .They last sparring sessions man .The opponents got bigger for the 3 rounds .Got you last man was torture .I know now man defintley training harder and working on lower limbs and roadwork.

alza1988
07-21-2010, 09:02 AM
Off the top of my head - 160lbs is roughly 72.5kg. I was talking to someone last night who said that there are new weight divisions for next season;

67kg
71kg
75kg

That is ideal for me as I will now be able to cut down and fight at 71kg. If I were you then I'd do the same mate and just keep working on speed, technique and get plenty of sparring in.

Also - make sure you are doing the roadwork - it's essential.

Speak soon, maybe even see you tomorrow at the gym if you go.

Cool mate i'll work on getting down to 71 man , later