View Full Version : Top 10 Defensive Boxers of All-Time (P4P)

GameGod
07-19-2010, 05:17 PM
Who would you rate as your top 10 defensive boxers in terms of their level of defensive skill? This means:

The boxer has to be defensively-styled (i.e. no suggestions like "Sugar Ray Robinson" even if you think his defense was the best ever)
The boxer has to be in your P4P Top 10 in terms of their defensive abilities
Any type of defensive abilities can count here, ranging from pure reflexive dodging used by Wilfred Benitez to a specific style like Winky Wright.

I'll give my Top 8 a try:

Updated 20 July 2010 at 20:55

Pernell Whitaker (Lightweight)
Willie Pep (Featherweight)
Wilfred Benitez (Welterweight)
Nicolino Locche (Junior Welterweight)
Floyd Mayweather, Jr. (Junior Lightweight)
Ronald "Winky" Wright (Junior Middleweight)
Jack Johnson (Heavyweight)
James Toney (Middleweight)

I neglected to fill in the rest of the Top 10 because everyone else I can think of off the top of my head is way behind.

boxing boy
07-19-2010, 05:39 PM
Off of the top of my head.....

Willie Pep
Benny Leonard
Jack Johnson
Pernell Whitaker
Prime Muhammad Ali
RJJ
SRL
Floyd Mayweather

The_Demon
07-19-2010, 06:35 PM
James toney deserves a mention

NChristo
07-19-2010, 10:46 PM
Who would you rate as your top 10 defensive boxers in terms of their level of defensive skill? This means:

The boxer has to be defensively-styled (i.e. no suggestions like "Sugar Ray Robinson" even if you think his defense was the best ever)
The boxer has to be in your P4P Top 10 in terms of their defensive abilities
Any type of defensive abilities can count here, ranging from pure reflexive dodging used by Wilfred Benitez to a specific style like Winky Wright.

I'll give my Top 5 a try:

Pernell Whitaker (Lightweight)
Willie Pep (Featherweight)
Wilfred Benitez (Welterweight)
Floyd Mayweather, Jr. (Junior Lightweight)
Ronald "Winky" Wright (Junior Middleweight)

Nicolino Locche
Pernell Whitaker
Willie Pep

Floyd Mayweather, Jr
James Toney
Roy Jones Jr
Muhammad Ali
Jack Johnson
Wilfred Benitez
Dwight Qawi

Top 3 is fixed, rest can be juggled around.

frankenfrank
07-20-2010, 06:15 AM
No love for Chris Byrd and Orlin Norris ? these guys faced size differences no Whitaker or Locche ever faced.
Whitaker and Locche enjoyed opponents with limited weights close to their own , same for height , reach and power differences .

Uturn
07-20-2010, 10:24 AM
Nicolino Locche, that mans defense was insane.

them_apples
07-20-2010, 10:34 AM
Whitaker
Mayweather
Loche
Toney
Benitez

SBleeder
07-20-2010, 11:12 AM
No love for Chris Byrd and Orlin Norris ? these guys faced size differences no Whitaker or Locche ever faced.
Whitaker and Locche enjoyed opponents with limited weights close to their own , same for height , reach and power differences .

Why are you so obsessed with size?

NChristo
07-20-2010, 12:29 PM

Did you seriously just say Chris Byrd and Norris have better defense then Locche and Whitaker ?.

****ing lol.

S.G.
07-20-2010, 01:35 PM
Canto probably deserves a mention...

nachorjj
07-20-2010, 01:56 PM
I dont see benny leonard and pep

Pernell Whittaker
Floyd Mayweather Jr
Winky Wright
Roy Jones Jr
Andre Ward
Omar Narvaez
Sergio Martinez
Mohamed Ali
Nicolino Loche
Bernard Hopkins or James Toney or Arthur Abraham

Toney616
07-20-2010, 04:08 PM
In no particular order:
James Toney
Mayweather
Locche
Hagler
Pep
McCallum
Qawi

GameGod
07-20-2010, 04:54 PM
Yes, to be fair I seem to have missed out Toney and Locche unfairly.
As for the likes of Sugar Ray Leonard and Benny Leonard, they were often offensively minded, not defensively minded, and hence do not qualify. Jack Johnson is somewhere in between, but since his defence was so far ahead of his time it is probably fair to include him in the list.

talip bin osman
07-21-2010, 01:30 AM
roberto duran gets very underrated in this regard...

gibo
07-21-2010, 04:08 AM
IVAN CALDERON. No one can touch him!

frankenfrank
07-21-2010, 06:37 AM
Why are you so obsessed with size?

Why were weight classes invented ?

frankenfrank
07-21-2010, 06:40 AM
Did you seriously just say Chris Byrd and Norris have better defense then Locche and Whitaker ?.

****ing lol.

Do you see Locche and Whitaker being competitive and sometimes winning against fighters like Joe Calzaghe or James Toney ? because this is what you should compare Byrd and Norris' fights to.

cameronpaul
07-21-2010, 07:41 AM
prince nasseem hamed hasnt been mentioned. proper quick reflexes, almost like a smaller style of ali.

NChristo
07-21-2010, 09:57 AM
Do you see Locche and Whitaker being competitive and sometimes winning against fighters like Joe Calzaghe or James Toney ? because this is what you should compare Byrd and Norris' fights to.

Locche completely embarrassed an ATG in Antonio Cervantes in their first fight.
Locche was a defensive genius, it's almost like he could see a few seconds into the future and dodge everything that was thrown at him plus he did excellent under pressure, really Frank I can't see how you can argue that someone like Norris and Byrd has better defense then Locche, you're just doing this to cause another argument.

I don't even need to say anything about Whitaker really.

TheMagicMan
07-21-2010, 10:20 AM
I dont think people read the freaking question and its actually a decent question. Freaking DEFENSIVE fighters.

If you put RJJ-you lose. He did not have a defensive style at all.
If you put Mohamed Ali or Muhammad Ali-you lose. dudes style was punching and getting punched in the face, but always fighting people coming off of losses or who were much smaller than him, or were drugged or bribed or the judges were paid off.

If you mentioned Nas-you should be banned. Dude literally had no defense, none. Straight offense. Being able to back away from a punch or dodge it doesnt make you a defensive fighter.

BHop, Toney, Floyd, PWhit,

And the greatest defensive fighter of all time: Wladimir Klitschko.

cameronpaul
07-21-2010, 11:10 AM
ok ok if your gonna have a little rant then you might aswell just agree mayweather is the most defencive, ie - he spends the most amount of time per fight thinking about avoiding punches and not throwing much, anyone who fights more defencive than him wouldnt throw punches at all.

JK1700
07-21-2010, 01:50 PM
Chris Byrd has got to be considered one of the greatest defensive boxers of all time. I dont care what anyone says, When he was in his prime it was almost impossible to hit him. Just check out the fight with Holyfield, Evander only landed about 3 jabs the entire fight when Byrd was hitting him at will. Evander was restricted to throwing about 25 punches a round. For sure Holyfield wasnt in his prime, But Byrd made a one of the greatest Heavyweights of all time look like an amatuer.

He also gave David Tua a boxing lesson, He didnt run. He stood in close quarters and made him miss and made him pay. I know alot of people didnt like Byrd because of his style but I have alot of respect for him because he wasnt a natural Heavyweight and did very well for himself.

JK1700
07-21-2010, 02:08 PM
I dont see benny leonard and pep

Pernell Whittaker
Floyd Mayweather Jr
Winky Wright
Roy Jones Jr
Andre WardOmar Narvaez
Sergio Martinez
Mohamed Ali
Nicolino Loche
Bernard Hopkins or James Toney or Arthur Abraham

Since when is excessive holding regarded as a form of defence? Ward doesnt have defensive skills like Byrd or Toney, He used his athletism to get away from shots (A little bit like Roy Jones Jr), It's effective but I dont consider that to be a form of real defence.

Here are the best defence boxers I have ever seen. I will try and put them in order of who I think has the best defence.

1. Floyd Mayweather Jr.
2. Pernell Whitaker
3. James Toney
4. Chris Byrd
5. Winky Wright
6. Bernard Hopkins
7. Mike McCallum
8. Sven Ottke
9. Cristian Mijares
10. Montell Griffin

I know some people might argue with my choices but these are based on when these guys were in their prime they were excellent defensive fighters. Montell Griffin gave Toney and RJJ alot of trouble with his elusive style and Cristian Mijares although he has lost 3 of his last 6 fights was an excellent fighter when he was really on point. Just watch his fight with Jorge Arce and you will realise he was very, very good.

Obama
07-21-2010, 03:11 PM
Only Philadelphia fighter mentioned has been Hopkins, sad. Very sad. The city that re-invented defense in the mid 20th century gets no love. :nonono:

NChristo
07-21-2010, 03:24 PM
Only Philadelphia fighter mentioned has been Hopkins, sad. Very sad. The city that re-invented defense in the mid 20th century gets no love. :nonono:

Dwight Qawi could be called a Philadelphia fighter, he started learning in Philly at the Joe Frazier gym and was sparring partner for Bennie Briscoe whose defensive technique Qawi most resembles, Qawi's version was much better though imo.

Been mentioned twice.

IMDAZED
07-21-2010, 03:38 PM
How the hell did Winky Wright get on that list?

Obama
07-21-2010, 08:09 PM
Dwight Qawi could be called a Philadelphia fighter, he started learning in Philly at the Joe Frazier gym and was sparring partner for Bennie Briscoe whose defensive technique Qawi most resembles, Qawi's version was much better though imo.

Been mentioned twice.

His nickname is the Camden Buzzsaw. That disqualifies him right away. Can't be reppin South Jersey and call yourself a Philly fighter.

But even if I was going to pretend he's a Philly fighter, he wouldn't make my top 5 as far as defense goes.

JK1700
07-21-2010, 08:41 PM
How the hell did Winky Wright get on that list?

The guy was a defensive genuis. You can't look at the Williams fight and say he wasnt a great defensive fighter, He was 38 years old and coming off a 2 year layoff.

Watch some of his old fights like Angel Hernandez, Adrian Dodson, Fernando Vargas and Felix Trinidad. Then judge him.

JAB5239
07-21-2010, 09:32 PM

Both Byrd and Norris chose to fight at heavy, neither had to. And when they did fight at the lower weights neither was comparable to a Whitaker or Locche in terms of defensive greatness.

frankenfrank
07-22-2010, 07:06 AM
Both Byrd and Norris chose to fight at heavy, neither had to. And when they did fight at the lower weights neither was comparable to a Whitaker or Locche in terms of defensive greatness.

Who are Whitaker's best wins above 135 ? that's right , Buddy McGirt .
Norris' (above 200) ? Tucker , McCall , Greg Page and Jesse Fegusson.
Byrd's (above 200) ? Vitali Klitschko (by far)
So ? should I explain it for their great offensive prowess ?

GJC
07-22-2010, 06:21 PM

This obsession you have with size is stupid, ever thought that it is harder to show defensive prowess against a fast fighter than a lumbering slow fighter?

As for the atg Norris, Page was a has been by the time he beat him as shown by the fact that an old Bugner beat him before Norris. Ditto Tucker, Seldon and Akinwande beat him before Norris did. Fergusson was a never was. McCall was a good win but then McCall was always wildly inconsistant.
So 3 cocaine addicts and a journeyman, but they were bigger i'll give you that.

JAB5239
07-26-2010, 11:32 PM

You're kidding, right? Byrd was getting killed till Vitaly quit and McGirt is WAY better than any of the fighters you named. Good Grief!!

Calilloyd
07-27-2010, 03:28 PM

Did you miss the Chavez fight?

HaglerSteelChin
07-27-2010, 06:43 PM
Whitaker also beat Vasquez at 154 who was a monster at 154 like 53-1 and had battered around Winky Wright before, and Whitaker was able to win despite being much smaller.

Madmari
07-28-2010, 05:05 PM
Tiger woods was the best.

Madmari
and George bush

Madmari
Need 15 posts

Madmari
almost there

Madmari
07-28-2010, 05:06 PM
2 more posts

Madmari
07-28-2010, 05:06 PM
1 more post

NChristo
07-28-2010, 05:08 PM
Go to a spam thread like the points ones if you need posts. =.=.