View Full Version : Faster Hands - Tyson or Ali

T.Horton
07-18-2010, 12:16 PM
I think it's widely recognized that Floyd Patterson had the fastest hands at heavyweight. Two and three (at least to me, would be Tyson and Ali) of the two, who do you think has the faster hands?

Any insight would be welcome.

Cassius Liston
07-18-2010, 12:31 PM
I'd say tyson...if he threw lighter shots like Jabs more often it would be easier to tell..but the fact he throws Power (tense punches) with such speed...i'd say he has the fastest heavyweight hands ever and he turns into everything...Prime obviously

them_apples
07-18-2010, 01:07 PM
If you are just going by hand speed alone it's probably Ali or prime Holmes.

Overall speed would be Tyson, Ali was gracefull but Tyson was just fast at doing everything.

T3dBundy
07-18-2010, 01:58 PM
I'd say tyson...if he threw lighter shots like Jabs more often it would be easier to tell..but the fact he throws Power (tense punches) with such speed...i'd say he has the fastest heavyweight hands ever and he turns into everything...Prime obviously

<object style="height: 344px; width: 425px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wiS7RLTSLAg"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wiS7RLTSLAg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></object>

0035-0038, those shots dont look "light" to me.
when did tyson ever hit a fighter of listons caliber with such a combo?
tyson wasnt faster than ali, he hit harder, but his speed & timing werent on alis lvl.

Cassius Liston
07-18-2010, 02:31 PM
<object style="height: 344px; width: 425px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wiS7RLTSLAg"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wiS7RLTSLAg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></object>

0035-0038, those shots dont look "light" to me.
when did tyson ever hit a fighter of listons caliber with such a combo?
tyson wasnt faster than ali, he hit harder, but his speed & timing werent on alis lvl.

True i should have put more thought into my answer

GameGod
07-18-2010, 02:33 PM
No, Ali has the fastest hand speed at Heavyweight. In fact, he had the second-fastest P4P hand-speed, second only to Roy Jones, Jr.

Megamasterking
07-18-2010, 02:34 PM
I know that prime Tyson was fast, but Ali was faster, Tyson might look faster some times but its like looking at the this tall guy skating or running he does look to be slower compare to do the short guy. Mario Lemieux was a fast skater, Paul Coffey whos one of fastest defensmen ever, said:Lemieux is so fast that its hard for me to follow him... watch Lemieux skate "even if you dont like Hockey" and you will never guess that hes a very fast skater.

Cassius Liston
07-18-2010, 02:34 PM
No, Ali has the fastest hand speed at Heavyweight. In fact, he had the second-fastest P4P hand-speed, second only to Roy Jones, Jr.

i wouldn't say second fastest p4p....

GameGod
07-18-2010, 02:36 PM
i wouldn't say second fastest p4p....

Who would you call faster than him (besides arguably Roy Jones)?

A lot of people might be close in terms of hand speed, making the choice of Ali as #2 subjective and personal to me only, but I don't think that it's a strictly wrong position to put Ali in.

Junito-Rulez
07-18-2010, 03:01 PM
Prime for prime ALI. But Tyson's handspeed was much better than Ali from the 70es.

Ziggy Stardust
07-18-2010, 03:10 PM
Prime for prime ALI. But Tyson's handspeed was much better than Ali from the 70es.

Yeah, but we're talking prime vs. prime here. Take a look at how fast Ali's hands were against Foreman though.

Poet

boxing boy
07-18-2010, 03:27 PM
The late Jimmy Jacobs, then the owner of the world's largest fight film collection, once measured Ali's jab by an omegascope. He found that Sugar Ray Robinson's jab took 8.5 frames of film. Ali's took only 6.5!! Faster than the fastest middleweights.

Yes,Muhammad Ali was faster than the fastest middleweights!!

them_apples
07-18-2010, 04:15 PM
The late Jimmy Jacobs, then the owner of the world's largest fight film collection, once measured Ali's jab by an omegascope. He found that Sugar Ray Robinson's jab took 8.5 frames of film. Ali's took only 6.5!! Faster than the fastest middleweights.

Yes,Muhammad Ali was faster than the fastest middleweights!!

I'd believe it. Ali threw shorter straighter punches. Robinson always seemed to throw huge hooks.

Junito-Rulez
07-18-2010, 05:08 PM
Sonny Liston also said that Ali being featherfisted was a myth, he said that Ali could punch better than people give him credit for.

Sugarj
07-18-2010, 05:48 PM
Fastest left at heavyweight belonged to Floyd Patterson.

Fastest right belonged to Ali.

But I'll be honest, to the naked eye prime Tyson looks just as fast as either, we are talking fractions of milliseconds here. All very fast guys! Johnson, Tunney, Holmes and Holyfield had superb handspeed too.

Another thing to bear in mind is reach. Tyson's punches had a shorter distance to travel, therefore if they were moving literally as fast as Ali's his punch would be completed faster.............just a thought!

T.Horton
07-21-2010, 01:29 AM
Good stuff, fellas. I come to this section to learn from you guys and I am learning a lot! Thanks.