View Full Version : Weight Loss is slow....

*2TOUGH*
07-18-2010, 08:58 AM
OK about 13 weeks ago i was 14.12 stones. Then i started going gym and doing interval training, weights and cutting all junk food out my diet. I got down to 14.5 stone.

I am alot stronger and can lift moderate weights. I try to do explosive circuit exercises at the start, then do 10 mins of hard interval cross trainer on resistance 22 (100 calories in 10mins).

I also take a protein shake after training. The problem is i am not loosing any more weight. I dont look like a fat bastard anymore lol... but i still have a belly. I can see definition and my shoulders and arms are really big.. I think im packing too much muscle and not losing as much body fat.

What do you suggest i do? They say long amounts of cardio burns off muscle which is bad (caterbolic rate), and basically we want to maintain an anabolic rate to build more muscle and burn more fat.

When i was 18/19 i could cut 4lbs / week and i could trim down to 11.8stones (around 168lbs).. now that im in my mid 20's i cant seem to even get down to 14 stone?

Suggestions anyone?

karategan
07-18-2010, 09:25 AM
If you're on a calorie deficit, you shouldn't be packing on "too much" muscle. Also, if you're on a calorie deficit, you should be burning fat regardless of if you're doing cardio or not. Just be patient and the fat will burn off.

As for cardio, it's fine to do it. Just don't do it with your lifting sessions. Separate them about 6 hours apart. Eat more calories if you do cardio but still keep it under your BMR of course.

I recommend doing running HIIT. Basically, sprint all out for 30 seconds, rest 30 seconds, repeat till you can't handle any more. Shouldn't last more than 10 minutes if done right. This type of cardio is short, but still burns as much fat as long steady-state cardio. Plus, it helps to maintain muscle.

*2TOUGH*
07-18-2010, 10:14 AM
If you're on a calorie deficit, you shouldn't be packing on "too much" muscle. Also, if you're on a calorie deficit, you should be burning fat regardless of if you're doing cardio or not. Just be patient and the fat will burn off.

As for cardio, it's fine to do it. Just don't do it with your lifting sessions. Separate them about 6 hours apart. Eat more calories if you do cardio but still keep it under your BMR of course.

I recommend doing running HIIT. Basically, sprint all out for 30 seconds, rest 30 seconds, repeat till you can't handle any more. Shouldn't last more than 10 minutes if done right. This type of cardio is short, but still burns as much fat as long steady-state cardio. Plus, it helps to maintain muscle.

BTW you can actually pack muscle when on a deficit.. Some peoples bodies actually use those calories to build muscle and burn less fat. Its weird. I need to trick my body into burning fat some how.

Spartacus Sully
07-18-2010, 11:52 AM
Long periods of moderate intensity will break down your muscle but long periods of easy intensity is mainly going to burn fat on your body instead of muscle or even carbs.

some thing like jogging out a few miles like 5 then walking the entire way back or walk out 5 miles and jog back you include the exercises to improve your cardio but your also burning the fat that is on your body. like a mile requires about 160 calories worth of fuel so 5 of them is 800. since you have a very very very low heart rate when walking about 80% of that fuel comes straight from the fat thats clinging onto your body, not from the carbs youve eaten, your glucose stores, or your muscle but the fat that you want to get rid of. so theres 800 calories *.8 = 640 calories of your fat that you burn off your body just by walking 5 miles. 640 calories /9=71 grams of fat so in walking 5 miles you burn off about 2.5 oz of fat from your body.

*2TOUGH*
07-18-2010, 11:57 AM
Long periods of moderate intensity will break down your muscle but long periods of easy intensity is mainly going to burn fat on your body instead of muscle or even carbs.

some thing like jogging out a few miles like 5 then walking the entire way back or walk out 5 miles and jog back you include the exercises to improve your cardio but your also burning the fat that is on your body. like a mile requires about 160 calories worth of fuel so 5 of them is 800. since you have a very very very low heart rate when walking about 80% of that fuel comes straight from the fat thats clinging onto your body, not from the carbs youve eaten, your glucose stores, or your muscle but the fat that you want to get rid of. so theres 800 calories *.8 = 640 calories of your fat that you burn off your body just by walking 5 miles. 640 calories /9=71 grams of fat so in walking 5 miles you burn off about 2.5 oz of fat from your body.

Interesting...

So do you reckon i should do HIIT for a full 50mins / 1 hour and then go home???? I am basically totally exhausted after 20mins.. around 200 calories.

~Treadmill~

High Interval - speed 9 - incline 9 - 1min
Low Interval - speed 4 - incline 9 -1min

~Cross Trainer~

High Interval - resistance 18 - 1min
Low Interval - resistance 3 - min

Spartacus Sully
07-18-2010, 12:20 PM
Interesting...

So do you reckon i should do HIIT for a full 50mins / 1 hour and then go home???? I am basically totally exhausted after 20mins.. around 200 calories.

~Treadmill~

High Interval - speed 9 - incline 9 - 1min
Low Interval - speed 4 - incline 9 -1min

~Cross Trainer~

High Interval - resistance 18 - 1min
Low Interval - resistance 3 - min

Hiit is weird but similar. with hit your forcing your body to burn fat when it should be burning carbs. the result is natural hgh released into your body that allows for the fat to be broken down faster but much less efficiently. like 1 gram of fat is 9 calories of fuel but once this hormone is released 1 gram of fat only supply you with 4-5 calories of fuel in this manner fat burns almost as fast as carbs but it only lasts for about 12-24 hours and it becomes increasingly harder to release the hgh. also you can tell the hgh has been released because your skin gets really flush red like arms and chest.

Id reccomend

tred hiit, walk 30 min (2 miles) tred, cross hiit, easy bike 30 mins (5-6 miles)

STILL_DETOX
07-18-2010, 04:53 PM
stiop consuming sugar

Squirrel
07-18-2010, 05:11 PM
BTW you can actually pack muscle when on a deficit.. Some peoples bodies actually use those calories to build muscle and burn less fat. Its weird. I need to trick my body into burning fat some how.

No, you can't, it's physically impossible. Building mscle is essentially like building a house, you need the building blocks (bricks and mortar/protein and water) and a mechanism for the process (bricklayers/energy). Without the energy you won't build the muscle no matter how much you lift and how much protein you ingest.

Take a 10 day break from your routine and go back to it. You may be overtraining so try cutting back a little on your current routine. Also look at your diet, thats the absolute key.

Simplify things to two interval sessions a week, one long walk a week and mebbe two weight lifting sessions (stick to simple compound movements).

Remember losing fat is a long and hard process, don't get on the scales and stare at yourself in the mirror daily. This takes weeks and months.

Jack3d
07-18-2010, 05:13 PM
You can't put on muscle and cut at the same time. You have to pick one or the other.

Are you eating in small portions?

What is your sodium intake?

Spartacus Sully
07-18-2010, 06:32 PM
Without the energy you won't build the muscle no matter how much you lift and how much protein you ingest.

there is alot more too it and while you may not be able to build muscle with a calorie decficit as your body can use protien, fat or carbs to create energy if you were able to eat enough protien that you wernt in a calorie deficit you would be able to build muscle.

billy boy balbo
07-18-2010, 06:46 PM
get some deca son

ShatteredGlass
07-18-2010, 07:14 PM
Dysentry is a good way to lose weight, swign up on a pirate vessel and we'll have you trim in no time.

death is a possible side effect

*2TOUGH*
07-19-2010, 04:59 AM
No, you can't, it's physically impossible. Building mscle is essentially like building a house, you need the building blocks (bricks and mortar/protein and water) and a mechanism for the process (bricklayers/energy). Without the energy you won't build the muscle no matter how much you lift and how much protein you ingest.

Take a 10 day break from your routine and go back to it. You may be overtraining so try cutting back a little on your current routine. Also look at your diet, thats the absolute key.

Simplify things to two interval sessions a week, one long walk a week and mebbe two weight lifting sessions (stick to simple compound movements).

Remember losing fat is a long and hard process, don't get on the scales and stare at yourself in the mirror daily. This takes weeks and months.

Yes i agree it will take weeks, but i have been in the gym for 3 months and i feel my fat has gone down but not weight. I have packed alot of muscle and stand straight up rather than a weak poor postured fatty.

You can't put on muscle and cut at the same time. You have to pick one or the other.

Are you eating in small portions?

What is your sodium intake?

Urrrm i Vince DelMone says that if you do 15mins of hard interval training before you start your weights, it boosts the fat burning. Together with weights such was lat pull downs and fast dumbell dead-lifts.

Small portions? - Breakfast - cereal and coffee, then protein shake as my mini meal/snack, then rice and chicken(cooked healthy) then last night i had 2 chicken legs, 4 small potatoes sliced. But yesterday was a rest day. (Usually id go gym at 2pm or 6/7pm)

Salt is low... although i find when i wake up i am 3/4lbs less of water. My water retention is quite high and i look fat, mid afternoon? why is that, when i am defined and toned in the morning?

there is alot more too it and while you may not be able to build muscle with a calorie decficit as your body can use protien, fat or carbs to create energy if you were able to eat enough protien that you wernt in a calorie deficit you would be able to build muscle.

indeed. i think my calories are below 1800 and thats about rite if i want to be around super middle weight. But yet i dont lose weight.. or maybe im not eating small meals...?

Spartacus Sully
07-19-2010, 05:07 AM
indeed. i think my calories are below 1800 and thats about rite if i want to be around super middle weight. But yet i dont lose weight.. or maybe im not eating small meals...?

It takes time.

small meals are nice for 2 reasons: therezs taht whole 6 small meal thing because it keeps your metabolism going full force all the time but also your stomach will actually shrink from eating little meals which will cause you to get full more quickly since you dont have as much to fill up.....though you shouldn't be eating till your full any ways.

If you can maintain the routine your doing with some breaks hear and there like taking a week or a week end off till this time next year you will probly arrive at all your goals.

*2TOUGH*
07-19-2010, 06:44 AM
It takes time.

small meals are nice for 2 reasons: therezs taht whole 6 small meal thing because it keeps your metabolism going full force all the time but also your stomach will actually shrink from eating little meals which will cause you to get full more quickly since you dont have as much to fill up.....though you shouldn't be eating till your full any ways.

If you can maintain the routine your doing with some breaks hear and there like taking a week or a week end off till this time next year you will probly arrive at all your goals.

Yes that would be a good idea..

So how does Ricky Hatton lose alllllllll his weight so quickly???? He can do it in 3 month training camps...

Spartacus Sully
07-19-2010, 07:42 AM
Yes that would be a good idea..

So how does Ricky Hatton lose alllllllll his weight so quickly???? He can do it in 3 month training camps...

foundation? like when your a fat ass that can train 5 hours a day 5 days a week and you follow a diet you can lose a **** load quickly it just takes time to get up to training for 5 hours a day 5 days a week.

Jack3d
07-19-2010, 11:46 AM
Urrrm i Vince DelMone says that if you do 15mins of hard interval training before you start your weights, it boosts the fat burning. Together with weights such was lat pull downs and fast dumbell dead-lifts.

I don't really understand how that works, maybe you aren't explaining it well enough.

Small portions? - Breakfast - cereal and coffee, then protein shake as my mini meal/snack, then rice and chicken(cooked healthy) then last night i had 2 chicken legs, 4 small potatoes sliced. But yesterday was a rest day. (Usually id go gym at 2pm or 6/7pm)

Small portions meaning 6-8 small meals per day. Instead of 3 big meals and a snack.

Ditch the cereal for Egg Whites and Oatmeal. Chicken Breasts instead of thighs, eat yams or sweet potatoes instead of regular potatoes, make sure you are eating Brown instead of white rice.

Drink your Protein shakes post workout and before you go to bed.

Salt is low... although i find when i wake up i am 3/4lbs less of water. My water retention is quite high and i look fat, mid afternoon? why is that, when i am defined and toned in the morning?

Because you are fasting while you sleep and your body also burns fat at a low heart rate so...

*2TOUGH*
07-19-2010, 12:51 PM
I don't really understand how that works, maybe you aren't explaining it well enough.

Here is the vid:

Listen to what he says at the start:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SzsVEKGFW1Y&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SzsVEKGFW1Y&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Small portions meaning 6-8 small meals per day. Instead of 3 big meals and a snack.

That isnt realistic... i wake up at 9am and go sleep at 11pm. You want me to eat every 2.5 hours?(6 meals) / 1.75 hours(8 meals)... Ok are you suggesting i eat like 2-3 mouthful's of food per meal? lol that sounds silly..

Ditch the cereal for Egg Whites and Oatmeal. Chicken Breasts instead of thighs, eat yams or sweet potatoes instead of regular potatoes, make sure you are eating Brown instead of white rice.

ok but the egg white does not contain the most protein, its actually the yolk. I have started to eat Oats with some honey.

What difference does yams or sweet potatoes make? Its all carbs isnt it? I might have pasta or a wrap in place of them..

Drink your Protein shakes post workout and before you go to bed.

I always have it post workout, but why before bed? I thought isolate is pre-digested and the body wont 'take' it, and it will remain in the gut, as the body does not require it at night? Dont i need casein or something like a concentrate which is slow release at night??

Because you are fasting while you sleep and your body also burns fat at a low heart rate so...

I thought it was water loss??????? no way i am burning 3lbs of fat in 7 hours of sleep lollllllll :poke:

MOTHER DUCKER
07-19-2010, 04:33 PM
Is drinking lots of water a must for dropping weight?

im a tad under 6ft atm and 14 st 3 im hoping to get down to 12-13 stone, i absolutely hate drinking water and drink tonnes of diet coke, will i have to ditch this to lose 2 stone or so?

F l i c k e r
07-19-2010, 04:53 PM
Is drinking lots of water a must for dropping weight?

im a tad under 6ft atm and 14 st 3 im hoping to get down to 12-13 stone, i absolutely hate drinking water and drink tonnes of diet coke, will i have to ditch this to lose 2 stone or so?

Yes. :lol1:

coke is just empty calories and sugar that will be turned into fat if you don't burn it all off. Replace that with hydration that doesn't include calories. Which is water. :lol1:

MOTHER DUCKER
07-19-2010, 05:03 PM
Yes. :lol1:

coke is just empty calories and sugar that will be turned into fat if you don't burn it all off. Replace that with hydration that doesn't include calories. Which is water. :lol1:

Well i will try then :(

Most people get addicted to drugs, smoking etc me on the other hand.. diet coke for some reason if that's even possible

Jack3d
07-19-2010, 05:33 PM
Here is the vid:

Listen to what he says at the start:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SzsVEKGFW1Y&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SzsVEKGFW1Y&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

I'll listen to it later. My speakers aren't working.

That isnt realistic... i wake up at 9am and go sleep at 11pm. You want me to eat every 2.5 hours?(6 meals) / 1.75 hours(8 meals)... Ok are you suggesting i eat like 2-3 mouthful's of food per meal? lol that sounds silly..

That's the point 1 small meal every 3 hours. You are seriously misinformed about dieting.

ok but the egg white does not contain the most protein, its actually the yolk. I have started to eat Oats with some honey.

Ummm. No Whites contain all the protein.

What difference does yams or sweet potatoes make? Its all carbs isnt it? I might have pasta or a wrap in place of them..

Not all carbs are the same. You really need to do some research

I always have it post workout, but why before bed? I thought isolate is pre-digested and the body wont 'take' it, and it will remain in the gut, as the body does not require it at night? Dont i need casein or something like a concentrate which is slow release at night??

When you sleep you are fasting. If there is nothing in your stomach to digest your body feeds off itself. Yes Casien is ideal, but mixing Whey with Peanut Butter does essentially the same thing.

You really need to go read up on diet.

http://www.fitfaq.com/six-meals-a-day.html

Jack3d
07-19-2010, 05:50 PM
get some deca son

Var > Deca