View Full Version : I just sparred a friend of mine...

~BoZz~
07-16-2010, 08:25 AM
He does that tae kwan do stuff

Ive been boxing for 8 years now and he suggested that we should go all out so that we could see who will have the upper hand (foot)
I had no chance to come even close his legs were just too damaging and the reach advantage was crazy.

Is there any way i could improve in closing the gap so that i could start hitting him with some nice hard shots to the head?

Yael The Great
07-16-2010, 09:22 AM

Ive been boxing for 8 years now and he suggested that we should go all out so that we could see who will have the upper hand (foot)
I had no chance to come even close his legs were just too damaging and the reach advantage was crazy.

Is there any way i could improve in closing the gap so that i could start hitting him with some nice hard shots to the head?

Kick him in the leg with your lead foot and plant it after you land so you could be close to him.

dr.x
07-16-2010, 09:39 AM

I once sparred with my friend who does karate , it seemed very difficult to out box him , as I usualy do with the amateurs in boxing .
the easiest way to beat him is to be fast and get inside while you're protecting yourself , and being ready to be hit with a kick while getting in . once you're inside,his legs are useless and his hand technique are poor , you can hit him easily .

shogunn
07-16-2010, 11:10 AM
if your friend is smart, he wouldnt let your fists get anywhere near him and keep attacking with his legs for the longer reach.

Your only hope is to make him miss when he kicks and step inside. Thats when youll have the upperbody advantage, unless he's really good at that too.

Sugarj
07-16-2010, 11:56 AM
Ha ha, it was actually boxing that got me out of martial arts!

In Kung Fu sparring I found it comfortable to fight at a distance, use my kicks etc. But the first time I came across someone who could close the distance and use his hands/punches well it completely changed my way of thinking. Its much more intimidating to have someone that close firing off fast punches. Its easy to block/dodge a kick from a few feet away. Punches close in to many martial artists are very uncomfortable to prepare for.

Watch out for leg sweeps and knees when working your way in, use good footwork and keep distance to a minimum if you can. When you are inside, you can really take advantage of the often open martial arts guards and fire in all manner of hooks and uppercuts without the fear of shipping a roundhouse kick in return.

It can be easier said than done with a decent martial arts exponent. But the better your boxing becomes, the better you'll be able to deal with a martial artist.

~BoZz~
07-16-2010, 12:36 PM
Ha ha, it was actually boxing that got me out of martial arts!

In Kung Fu sparring I found it comfortable to fight at a distance, use my kicks etc. But the first time I came across someone who could close the distance and use his hands/punches well it completely changed my way of thinking. Its much more intimidating to have someone that close firing off fast punches. Its easy to block/dodge a kick from a few feet away. Punches close in to many martial artists are very uncomfortable to prepare for.

Watch out for leg sweeps and knees when working your way in, use good footwork and keep distance to a minimum if you can. When you are inside, you can really take advantage of the often open martial arts guards and fire in all manner of hooks and uppercuts without the fear of shipping a roundhouse kick in return.

It can be easier said than done with a decent martial arts exponent. But the better your boxing becomes, the better you'll be able to deal with a martial artist.

I understand where you're coming from but I'm not allowed to use my legs and he's not allowed to use his hands..

You mentioned the thing about closing the distance,yes that's the only way I could actually land a punch on him but the thing is that it only works for the ring,on the street closing the distance means grabbing,that's where judo becomes very useful.:)

~BoZz~
07-16-2010, 12:37 PM
Thanks to everyone for the advice.

I'm gonna give him a good beating sooner or later :D

Sugarj
07-16-2010, 01:02 PM
Hi again Mercedes,

I knew Tae Kwon Do is a kicks based martial art, but is that right......are no punches taught at all? I thought the basic punches were taught. I came from a Kung Fu background, where all manner of strikes, holds and throws are used.

Is grappling used much in Tae Kwon Do too? I'm suprised that you mentioned a concern over grabbing in close by a Tae Kwon Do student.

In sparring against an orthodox stance martial arts student, I tended to find that adopting a southpaw stance served me very well. Honestly, 99% of the time the first move my opponent would make was the left lead roundhouse to either my leg, chest or head. Its so tempting for them, possibly out of habit, possibly because my lead leg was closer to their lead foot and seemed open to a roundhouse to the back of my leg.

It was so easy to counter! Most left lead kicks in my experience were not particularly powerful and so much slower than a jab that I had no problem in blocking/avoiding them and immediately stepping in with a double jab cross combination.

Avoiding their right kicks wasn't too much trouble too as I feel natural as a southpaw in moving to my right. You'd know if a right kick was coming because the opponent would twist their body near 180 degrees in some cases! Ha ha

~BoZz~
07-16-2010, 01:35 PM
Hi again Mercedes,

I knew Tae Kwon Do is a kicks based martial art, but is that right......are no punches taught at all? I thought the basic punches were taught. I came from a Kung Fu background, where all manner of strikes, holds and throws are used.

Is grappling used much in Tae Kwon Do too? I'm suprised that you mentioned a concern over grabbing in close by a Tae Kwon Do student.

In sparring against an orthodox stance martial arts student, I tended to find that adopting a southpaw stance served me very well. Honestly, 99% of the time the first move my opponent would make was the left lead roundhouse to either my leg, chest or head. Its so tempting for them, possibly out of habit, possibly because my lead leg was closer to their lead foot and seemed open to a roundhouse to the back of my leg.

It was so easy to counter! Most left lead kicks in my experience were not particularly powerful and so much slower than a jab that I had no problem in blocking/avoiding them and immediately stepping in with a double jab cross combination.

Avoiding their right kicks wasn't too much trouble too as I feel natural as a southpaw in moving to my right. You'd know if a right kick was coming because the opponent would twist their body near 180 degrees in some cases! Ha ha

Well in teakwondo they use the basic one two punch from what he told me it's 95% legs.

There is also a big difference between olympic (wtf) and traditional (itf) takwondo,in wtf tkd they tend to concentrate on the sport part while the itf is more traditional ( self defense)

Na we actually don't grapple ,once i get in and he grabs me we separate, the reason I said judo I was speaking about the same situation but on the street.

Well I can't comment about kung fu all I know is that there are many diff kung fu styles none of them uses the same principals.

DiLLiNGER
07-16-2010, 02:05 PM

A good kicker will always beat a good puncher due to reach like you said and also the leg generates more power.

Yael The Great
07-16-2010, 02:53 PM
Well in teakwondo they use the basic one two punch from what he told me it's 95% legs.

There is also a big difference between olympic (wtf) and traditional (itf) takwondo,in wtf tkd they tend to concentrate on the sport part while the itf is more traditional ( self defense)

Na we actually don't grapple ,once i get in and he grabs me we separate, the reason I said judo I was speaking about the same situation but on the street.

Well I can't comment about kung fu all I know is that there are many diff kung fu styles none of them uses the same principals.

Tae Kwon Do teaches all the punches boxing does, boxing technique focuses on power and quickness, Tae Kwon do focuses on quickness and the technique is bad.

Spartacus Sully
07-16-2010, 06:02 PM
punch his feet, that should stop him from kicking you, or atleast make him more wary. you can really push some one off balance if you can land a nice shot straight to the bottom of the heel and it really hurts.

Southpaw Stinger
07-16-2010, 06:08 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rNxaNAm_fWQ&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rNxaNAm_fWQ&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

boxingsmash69
07-16-2010, 06:27 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rNxaNAm_fWQ&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rNxaNAm_fWQ&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EDjE4BywrE4&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EDjE4BywrE4&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

DR.ORGYY
07-16-2010, 06:30 PM
Making boxers look bad wtf man.......ill fight him and **** em up! Ill make boxers look good atleast!!!!!!

DarkTerror88
07-16-2010, 10:15 PM
Get on the inside. I whup my Kung-Fu friend by getting on the inside and turning the heat up. A Right uppercut, left hook combo always does him over. KTFO

Megamasterking
07-16-2010, 10:49 PM

When you two are boxing does he still have the best of you? I did martial art and boxing, there is now way you can kick with your left foot, right foot and move at the same. After the second kick, you should able to hit him. Also, i dont see why you should do it cause it doesnt prove anything, i did fought a good black belt "ninja type" once, he missed me with a heel kick, i moved back and i saw his foot going down right in my face, that is when i did a left Jab, right hand, left hook. The left hook landed very hard, he was hurt and didnt want to continu... so i hope it will help you !
By the way i did 6 year of martial art and about 30 years of boxing, im 42.

DiLLiNGER
07-17-2010, 02:21 AM
Tae Kwon Do teaches all the punches boxing does, boxing technique focuses on power and quickness, Tae Kwon do focuses on quickness and the technique is bad.

not true at all..no hooks no uppercuts nothing at all..just basic straight punching

my cousin did tkd for many many years he was good with his legs but punching was zero.

F l i c k e r
07-17-2010, 02:59 AM
Let me speak from personal experience.

Try to weather the storm. The 2-3 kicks he may get off, might hurt but whether the storm and still charge forward. Try to get on the inside as fast as possible. I would say take the peek-a-boo guard and charge right in until you get right against his body. Then do work.

I know exactly how it is.... Because I was in the same situation as you before but I was the taekwondo guy. :lol1:

Oh yeah. Don't listen to any punch the feet bull**** and there is no such thing as a 'kung fu' style. :nonono:

$BloodyNate$
07-17-2010, 03:01 AM
If when he goes for kicks he's in hitting range try to time him with a right hand, or just come in with jabs and finish with hooks, straight, uppercut, whatever. Thats from a boxing stand point from a boxing stand point which I use all the time against my one good friend who is a black belt in karate and has some heavy kicks. But he usually is covering up when I come jabbing in so i can stay close long enough to throw a combination before here back out of range of each other.

And I'm not a good kicker or wrestler. if this is MMA and you have decent wrestling you take him down, maybe set it up with a punch. But if you got decent kickboxing. You got to do how Shogun took it to Machida with leg kicks of your own to make him respect you and would probably make him hesitate with kicks. I have ****ty kickboxing but I love his front kick I throw. He went for a leg kick and I shot him right in the gut with one of those and he'll think next time before he trys to throw a kick. Of course that only happened one time with me but then again I do throw a lot of body punches when he kicks me because I try to just man up and suck up the pain and just take em but thats not smart if your going to be in a long match. So I'd stick with my first advice haha

DarkTerror88
07-17-2010, 12:35 PM
Let me speak from personal experience.

Try to weather the storm. The 2-3 kicks he may get off, might hurt but whether the storm and still charge forward. Try to get on the inside as fast as possible. I would say take the peek-a-boo guard and charge right in until you get right against his body. Then do work.

I know exactly how it is.... Because I was in the same situation as you before but I was the taekwondo guy. :lol1:

Oh yeah. Don't listen to any punch the feet bull**** and there is no such thing as a 'kung fu' style. :nonono:
i don't know what his martial art is, but its some form that relies on kicking heavily, i just call it kung-fu. lol I asked him and his said it was a form Tae-kwan-do. So just get on the inside and hurt him there. Always worked.

F l i c k e r
07-17-2010, 01:23 PM
i don't know what his martial art is, but its some form that relies on kicking heavily, i just call it kung-fu. lol I asked him and his said it was a form Tae-kwan-do. So just get on the inside and hurt him there. Always worked.

It's all good, I just dislike hearing kung-fu as a style. I always facepalm when I hear that.

Inside fighting always works with the tkd guys. It was part of the reason why I moved on from tkd to learn different martial arts. I still got love for tkd though.

Ivansmamma
07-17-2010, 04:14 PM
I did TKD for some years before taking up boxing. They can kick hard and good if they have you on some distance but they can't throw or block a decent punch if their life depended on it. You have to have good footwork and move in when they miss with a kick and then just open up in close, they wont have anything to comeback with, they don't know how to block effectively and they are not used to being punched in the face over and over again. Just get inside and it is easy work.

paloalto00
07-17-2010, 10:17 PM
If you can't figure out how to beat your friend, then I doubt that you have been boxing for 8 years. Get on the inside, he can't kick you there.... there is no need to be technical about it... just swarm in.

paloalto00
07-17-2010, 10:25 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EDjE4BywrE4&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EDjE4BywrE4&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/09Evvdo0wrU&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/09Evvdo0wrU&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>