View Full Version : got knocked out sparring

bernardotelo
07-14-2010, 04:06 PM
today i was sparring a 198pounder and i knocked him out with a rock

FM3O
07-14-2010, 04:09 PM
Add some punctuation and I will read and reply to your post.

bcfc
07-14-2010, 04:14 PM
basically it sounds like u got KTFO

project xxx1
07-14-2010, 04:18 PM
you got sparked but dont worry it,get back in the gym and do it all over again :boxing::boxing:

Sugarj
07-14-2010, 04:25 PM
The reason 'punctuation' is spelt like that is because a bad punch can take it out of your prose. Hee hee.

But seriously, poor Bernardo should take a few days off, sounds like some nasty head trauma/concussion there. Let it heal before sparring again!

I wouldn't recommend sparring with bigger/heavier guys regardless. The reference to 198Lbs indicates to me that he was bigger?

I once got memory seepage after sparring pro boxer many, many years ago when I was a spindly 17 (a guy called Carl Morling, he had fought European champions Spencer Oliver and Johnny Armour on the way up).

I went into school the next day and couldn't remember my gym/PE teacher's name. He'd been my teacher for the preceeding 6 years!! Scary.....complete blank! The brain is a delicate device!

#1Assassin
07-14-2010, 04:34 PM
basically it sounds like u got KTFO

you got sparked but dont worry it,get back in the gym and do it all over again :boxing::boxing:

not necessarily. once when i fought i was stopped on my feet, i remember being stopped too and i didnt feel badly hurt at all just slightly dazed. however i dont remember leaving the ring, or the gym. after the fight i have all these blanks.. the fight being stopped, then being in the shower, and then on the bus but with nothing inbetween those moments.

and i remember the fight, i didnt get ktfo or even go down.

the kid might just have been hurt then had memory blanks afetrwards, if u really got ktfo they probably wouldnt send u back into training like that.

shogunn
07-14-2010, 04:58 PM
what was the science of getting hit in the chin again? I remember my coach telling me there was no chance of avoiding being knocked out it for a few seconds if everything went according to plan. Something about having a blood vessel moving out of place or something.... uppercut to jaw.

T.Horton
07-14-2010, 05:03 PM
today i was sparring a 198pounder we did 4rounds in wich the last one he hitted me in the jaw and i since it was the first time i got dizzy and i told him he said ok then let's stop and after that the only thing i remember was me standing on the window with bag gloves on my hands and a couple of guys looking at me so i can't remember like 7minutes of what happend beacause he claimed we did 5 rounds in wich i was trowing mad hooks at the 5th round but i can't remember the 1min rest beetwen the 4th and 5th round the 3mins of the 5th round the next 1min interval before the 2min bag session and i can't remember switching to the bag gloves aswell I didn't tell this to no1 because i'm really embarassedNothing to be embarrassed about dude, it doesn't happen often. Oe thing though, you really shouldn't spar with guys who are more than two weight classes higher than you. That's probably why he was able to hurt you so badly.

Honestly though, it happens. I am a coach and one of my kids almost got me at the end of a session. He's a 24 year old heavyweight and everybody in the gym saw. It was all due to a lack of stamina on my part.

bernardotelo
07-14-2010, 05:27 PM
I dind't got knocked out i just can't remember thoose 7or8 minutes after that 5th round, I was standing on the window wondering if what I was doing there for about 20 seconds until I realized where i was and what i was doing

7 Mares
07-14-2010, 05:31 PM
HAHAhahahahaha

7 Mares
07-14-2010, 05:31 PM
hahahahahahaha

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

boxingsmash69
07-14-2010, 05:48 PM
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Whoa what is wrong with you?

Bastos.

billy boy balbo
07-14-2010, 06:08 PM
iv been badly stunned once took one square on the chin didnt go down but i remember bright white light and not feeling but seeing the punches smash off my face,took a lot of confidence out me had to have a good few sessions beating up some novices to feel comfortable again

Onslow.
07-14-2010, 06:13 PM
today i was sparring a 198pounder we did 4rounds in wich the last one he hitted me in the jaw and i since it was the first time i got dizzy and i told him he said ok then let's stop and after that the only thing i remember was me standing on the window with bag gloves on my hands and a couple of guys looking at me so i can't remember like 7minutes of what happend beacause he claimed we did 5 rounds in wich i was trowing mad hooks at the 5th round but i can't remember the 1min rest beetwen the 4th and 5th round the 3mins of the 5th round the next 1min interval before the 2min bag session and i can't remember switching to the bag gloves aswell I didn't tell this to no1 because i'm really embarassed

Have some mighty green k to cheer you up.

BOLLOCKS
07-14-2010, 06:14 PM
Retire....

Vadrigar.
07-14-2010, 06:29 PM
today i was sparring a 198pounder we did 4rounds in wich the last one he hitted me in the jaw and i since it was the first time i got dizzy and i told him he said ok then let's stop and after that the only thing i remember was me standing on the window with bag gloves on my hands and a couple of guys looking at me so i can't remember like 7minutes of what happend beacause he claimed we did 5 rounds in wich i was trowing mad hooks at the 5th round but i can't remember the 1min rest beetwen the 4th and 5th round the 3mins of the 5th round the next 1min interval before the 2min bag session and i can't remember switching to the bag gloves aswell I didn't tell this to no1 because i'm really embarassed

looks like he also knocked out the punctuation from your post. :boxing:

TheTruthIs
07-14-2010, 07:15 PM
OP, I had a similar situation is sparring about 9 months ago. Got hit in the back of the head, saw the white lights, but kept going through another sparring partner after that and was fairly useless, just eating more punches and barely remembered any of it.

Within an hr after leaving the club, I began to develop the worst headache in the history of ever. I ended up in the ER, and rushed into a catscan to see if I had any bleeding on the brain, but was fairly sure I was going to die and in tears because of the pain it was that severe. Was like my brain was being squeezed like a walnut by some kinda invisible godzilla or sumthin. Turned out I got a severe concussion, but no further damage then that. The doctor there (neurosurgeon) told me the recipe for treatment was rest. Rest from everything for a few weeks. From training, and especially sparring. You are more susceptible to further damage in the short time afterwards with even the lightest of punches.

Anyway, I put this link here together for people to read regarding head injuries. Anyone who boxes or trains others should be aware of it.

Long read, but pay heed especially to the signs and symptoms :

http://www.rosstraining.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=53893&p=715382&hilit=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FTraum atic_brain_injury#p715382

paloalto00
07-14-2010, 09:03 PM
Sounds like you got a concussion, tighten up your defense or just stay away from those big boys. I spar with big fellas too, (I weigh 125) and I know how you feel when getting hit

BIg Smoke
07-14-2010, 09:07 PM
Dude sparked you out.

I3C727
07-14-2010, 11:12 PM
Paragraphs are your friend.

Domey
07-15-2010, 12:06 AM
Happened to me once in the finals of a tournament. However I actually lost everything, even the beginning of the fight. I remember going into the ring, and then in the last round throwing a jab and seeing blood trickle. I threw another jab and blood was all over him. All the sudden I am in the locker room holding my jacket and trophy, yet I was asking everyone around me if I had won. Of course everyone thought I was being a smart ass, then they realized something was wrong.

I watched the tape and I still didn't remember a thing. The closing seconds of the fight the kid rocked against the ropes, and as they flung him foward he threw a clean overhand right that landed flush. I am assuming that is the punch that did it. Funny thing is he landed it and I just walked through it, went to his corner and shook their hands like nothing was wrong at all.

Only other time I saw it happen was I was sparring my brother. He was in very good shape at the time and training for his 3rd pro bout, and I was just returning to the gym after a lay off after the golden gloves. He is a southpaw and he was in the corner, threw a lead left and I rocked back and came back with a straight right and hook. He wobbled into the corner and the sparring was over. He didn't go down was just rocked, although if it was a real fight I would of finished him easily.

After the sparring he continued to work out, then out of no where he just started pacing around and looking around all confused. He had no clue what had happend much like what went on with you.

I don't know exactly how this works, and I never got checked nor did my brother(A CAT scan or MRI and MRA would of helped determine it possibly). You obviously took a solid punch and your brain just didn't want to remember what happened next. You continued on, based on what? Who knows.

One more round
07-15-2010, 02:35 AM
Happens. However I swear I remember the OP saying he fights at like 120lbs...what were you doing sparring a 198lber?

*2TOUGH*
07-15-2010, 06:36 AM

is that healthy though? Like when i posted my boxing brain damage thread, i was mocked, and got told i was a p_ussy nerd.

the guy is getting POUNDED ON, and you are telling him to "get back to the gym"... that is a complete joke mate.

:ugh:

bernardotelo
07-15-2010, 08:47 AM
the kid was 1 year younger than me and he's new there, so I tought there wouldn't happen nothing wrong if I traded some punches with him, altought he claims that I was all over him in that 5th round that I almost got his nose broken and stuff but I can't remember a damn thing !

Chief2ndzOnly!
07-15-2010, 08:57 AM

Exactly what my man Project said. :boxing:

Spacey1991
07-15-2010, 12:15 PM

Well if hes 198 pounds and your 138 pounds then theres nothing to be embarassed about, especially since you've had 3 fights... that makes a huge difference. Don't worry about it, just go on like you have been doing.

paloalto00
07-15-2010, 01:40 PM
If you're going to spar with someone big, make sure they are experienced. Less experienced fighters tend to think of sparring as another fight, as compared to someone with experience who knows to actually work with you instead of beating your brains out

bernardotelo
07-15-2010, 03:18 PM
Well if hes 198 pounds and your 138 pounds then theres nothing to be embarassed about, especially since you've had 3 fights... that makes a huge difference. Don't worry about it, just go on like you have been doing.

actually I have 2 fights that 3rd one was a victory the other guy couldn't make it lol

Domey
07-15-2010, 03:21 PM
If you're going to spar with someone big, make sure they are experienced. Less experienced fighters tend to think of sparring as another fight, as compared to someone with experience who knows to actually work with you instead of beating your brains out

Exactly. What coach in their right mind would toss a new guy(You), against someone who is green, with an almost 60-70 lb weight difference.. What a moron.

I spar with a light heavyweight on a regular basis, and I fight at 126. We both have a ton of experience, and know how to pull our punches and work with each other. I think the heaviest green guy I've worked with was probably 150-160.

A green person knows one thing, and that is to just fight. They may take it easy for a few punches, but as soon as you tag them they will get upset and start putting more steam on them. With such a huge weight difference, it only takes a single punch to seriously hurt you.

No offense, but with only 3 fights you shouldn't be sparring anyone other then the people around your weight class, and very experienced people that can work with you.

Spacey1991
07-15-2010, 07:18 PM
actually I have 2 fights that 3rd one was a victory the other guy couldn't make it lol

Oh cool, thats what I mean though, cause you've had 2 fights you wont have as much experience as others which aint a bad thing its normal so facing a guy with that much weight advantage is gonna have a huge difference. Don't worry about it, just keep doing what your doing and stay keen mate.

bernardotelo
07-15-2010, 09:31 PM
I belive that no one at the gym knows what happend, except that guy i sparred with because i told him-