View Full Version : Thoughts on "Irish" Jerry Quarry?

DarkTerror88
07-13-2010, 12:32 PM
I feel he was a very underrated fighter. Very good footwork, decent hand speed and pop in his punches, a very good left hook, solid chin and good stamina. The only bad thing i can find in him is his tendency to cut and swell, and the fact he was around in the same era as Ali, Frazier and Foreman.
I think he would do well in most eras.
George Foreman was admittedly a Quarry fan and ducked him throughout his career.

His best performance was demolishing Earnie shavers and beating up Ron Lyle, both very good fighters.

Whadda you guys think of him.

Vadrigar.
07-13-2010, 01:22 PM
Great fighter actually. I believe he would be a world champion nowadays. Here are some funny videos I found of him:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hNTl1SrAfmY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hNTl1SrAfmY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AsXk1d095V8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AsXk1d095V8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lJGrvclNJoY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lJGrvclNJoY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Calilloyd
07-13-2010, 09:57 PM
Great fighter actually. I believe he would be a world champion nowadays. Here are some funny videos I found of him:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hNTl1SrAfmY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hNTl1SrAfmY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AsXk1d095V8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AsXk1d095V8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lJGrvclNJoY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lJGrvclNJoY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I've watched the Jerry Quarry chronicles before and always laugh when he mimics Ali. It was probably the best I've heard yet LOL. And Quarry was an excellent analyst. But the direction his life took after boxing was tragic.

Calilloyd
07-13-2010, 09:59 PM
I feel he was a very underrated fighter. Very good footwork, decent hand speed and pop in his punches, a very good left hook, solid chin and good stamina. The only bad thing i can find in him is his tendency to cut and swell, and the fact he was around in the same era as Ali, Frazier and Foreman.
I think he would do well in most eras.
George Foreman was admittedly a Quarry fan and ducked him throughout his career.

His best performance was demolishing Earnie shavers and beating up Ron Lyle, both very good fighters.

Whadda you guys think of him.

Jerry Quarry was an excellent fighter and always dangerous. And he beat some good fighters. He had a sharp left hook and was a good counterpuncher. He could box and bang. A lot of people don't realize that Ali taking him on after almost 4 years out was impressive. Quarry could fight.

DarkTerror88
07-13-2010, 10:35 PM
Jerry Quarry was an excellent fighter and always dangerous. And he beat some good fighters. He had a sharp left hook and was a good counterpuncher. He could box and bang. A lot of people don't realize that Ali taking him on after almost 4 years out was impressive. Quarry could fight.

And he could do it dang well too. I also feel that he and his brother mike have underrated footwork. I always see them move around the ring so effectively and fluidly.

Calilloyd
07-13-2010, 10:56 PM
And he could do it dang well too. I also feel that he and his brother mike have underrated footwork. I always see them move around the ring so effectively and fluidly.

I agree. Especially Mike.

DarkTerror88
07-13-2010, 11:37 PM
I have a collection of all quarry's fight. One of the best counter punchers I've seen next to Toney, jersey Joe and Louis.

Foreman ducked him intentionally, I give Quarrys catious fluid counterpucnhing style a decentstyle match up, he also had a granite chin, I say foreman might have to catch him on cuts. Quarry dealt with big punchers very well.

sonnyboyx2
07-14-2010, 01:47 AM
I have a collection of all quarry's fight. One of the best counter punchers I've seen next to Toney, jersey Joe and Louis.

Foreman ducked him intentionally, I give Quarrys catious fluid counterpucnhing style a decentstyle match up, he also had a granite chin, I say foreman might have to catch him on cuts. Quarry dealt with big punchers very well.
i totally agree... Quarry dealt with punchers and big guys very well indeed he would have no problem with any of todays heavyweights

Steelhammer2011
07-14-2010, 02:09 AM
i totally agree... Quarry dealt with punchers and big guys very well indeed he would have no problem with any of todays heavyweights

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Quarry is a midget compared to the Klitschkos.

Prime For Prime...The Cruiserweight Quarry gets destroyed by either Klitschko.

sonnyboyx2
07-14-2010, 03:31 AM
:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Quarry is a midget compared to the Klitschkos.

Prime For Prime...The Cruiserweight Quarry gets destroyed by either Klitschko.

you obviously know nothing whatsoever about boxing or the career of Jerry Quarry... Quarry fought many fighters who measured up to the Klitschko brothers in height and size as well as many who punched 10 times harder than the Klitschko brothers and who were vastly more skilled than the Klitschko brothers.... But i aint going to educate you on the sport because its clear to me that it would be a very long hard process which would take me years to do because you are still on the very first rung of the ladder and come out with ridiculous & stupid comments like the one you have made above.. what you are basically saying is that the Klitschko brothers are bigger, taller & heavier than Jerry Quarry so that makes it a "No Contest" in your eyes... yet Quarry is the better boxer, better counter-puncher, better footwork, better ringcraft, better chin, better competition, better quality of opponents, better trainer, better stamina in fact Quarry is better at every single aspect of the sport of boxing than the Klitschko brothers, yet you claim he would be destroyed by them ha ha ha you stick in their sunshine coz one day you will understand what this sport is all about

RINGG
07-14-2010, 04:07 AM

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????
And yet George fought all the guys that kept beating Quarry!
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????

frankenfrank
07-14-2010, 04:19 AM
Great fighter actually. I believe he would be a world champion nowadays.

What an expert , Quarry TKO2 Wladimir Klitschko , TKO3 Vitali Klitschko , KO1 David Haye .
Well , against Haye he may stand a chance .

frankenfrank
07-14-2010, 04:26 AM
Quarry fought at the late sixties and to the mid seventies , Ali and Frazier handled him without too much trouble , not to mention Chuvalo and Norton.
If he fought a bit later , Holmes would have handled him , later it would have been Spinks and Cooney and later Tyson , and then it comes to Holyfield , Bowe , Lewis , the Klitschkos , as well as many of the contenders of those eras . He would have been given fits by Jesse Fergusson , schooled by Orlin Norris , Chris Byrd and James Toney and got destroyed by Tua and probably Bruno.
Quarry would not even be a champion prior to the late 60's , when he would have probably lost to Liston and even to Patterson , not to mention Marciano and Louis . He could have been a champion only in the weakest eras , and even this is far from certain.

Vadrigar.
07-14-2010, 05:17 AM
I've watched the Jerry Quarry chronicles before and always laugh when he mimics Ali. It was probably the best I've heard yet LOL. And Quarry was an excellent analyst. But the direction his life took after boxing was tragic.

I agree, I was surprised at how he hit the right notes with ALi's voice. I think it's better than Joe Fraziers impersonation. :lol1:

Quarry
07-14-2010, 09:09 AM
Quarry fought at the late sixties and to the mid seventies , Ali and Frazier handled him without too much trouble , not to mention Chuvalo and Norton.
If he fought a bit later , Holmes would have handled him , later it would have been Spinks and Cooney and later Tyson , and then it comes to Holyfield , Bowe , Lewis , the Klitschkos , as well as many of the contenders of those eras . He would have been given fits by Jesse Fergusson , schooled by Orlin Norris , Chris Byrd and James Toney and got destroyed by Tua and probably Bruno.
Quarry would not even be a champion prior to the late 60's , when he would have probably lost to Liston and even to Patterson , not to mention Marciano and Louis . He could have been a champion only in the weakest eras , and even this is far from certain.

Ali & Frazier was "The Pyramids" of Heavyweight history and Frazier vs Quarry (1) was FOTY 1969 Quarry would have given Holmes nightmares, his loss to Norton was when Quarry was years past his best and suffering bad health, his loss to Chuvalo was very questionable but i would take all those who beat Quarry to also easily KO the fighters you have listed like Klitschko, Lewis, Tyson, Holyfield, Norris, Byrd & Ferguson as well as KO both Tua & Bruno with the last 5 mentioned being very mediocre fighters indeed who all had limited boxing ability compaired to Jerry Quarry

frankenfrank
07-14-2010, 09:20 AM
Ali & Frazier was "The Pyramids" of Heavyweight history and Frazier vs Quarry (1) was FOTY 1969 Quarry would have given Holmes nightmares, his loss to Norton was when Quarry was years past his best and suffering bad health, his loss to Chuvalo was very questionable but i would take all those who beat Quarry to also easily KO the fighters you have listed like Klitschko, Lewis, Tyson, Holyfield, Norris, Byrd & Ferguson as well as KO both Tua & Bruno with the last 5 mentioned being very mediocre fighters indeed who all had limited boxing ability compaired to Jerry Quarry
:lol1:
So you are sonnyboyx2's alias ?

frankenfrank
07-14-2010, 09:23 AM
sonnyboy , I meant to take you off ignore quickly , but since you put me on yours I kept you there , but if you will remove me from your ignore I will remove you . I know you are not a troll , just a mad lunatic , but you can keep your beliefs and opinion for the sake of satire and parody about classic forums which you are one of the best to provide : Brian London KO Tua lol .

DarkTerror88
07-14-2010, 10:06 AM
I love how the klitcho's were not even mentioned until these guys came along.
Watch Louis vs Simon and see how Louis' skill was able to offset their height advantage
you can watch haye v valuev same height difference.

@RINGG Frazier beat Ali, Foreman beat Frazier but Ali beat Foreman. It was bad style match ups. I think George style was made for Quarry, George would win but would have a hard time doing it.

sonnyboyx2
07-14-2010, 10:25 AM
I love how the klitcho's were not even mentioned until these guys came along.
Watch Louis vs Simon and see how Louis' skill was able to offset their height advantage
you can watch haye v valuev same height difference.

@RINGG Frazier beat Ali, Foreman beat Frazier but Ali beat Foreman. It was bad style match ups. I think George style was made for Quarry, George would win but would have a hard time doing it.

i agree... styles make fights and George Foremans style was made for Jerry Quarry