View Full Version : Boxing Books

Uturn
07-13-2010, 10:16 AM
Can anyone recommend me some good boxing books they have read ot know about? I've just finished reading fire & fear so looking for other good reads. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Stone Roses!
07-13-2010, 10:30 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Muhammad-Ali-His-Life-Times/dp/0671779710

By Thomas Hauser. Best Ali book imo.

GameGod
07-13-2010, 10:57 AM
"Hands of Stone" by Christian Giudice, a book about Roberto Duran. It's like a fighting biography, describing in detail his fights, their background, and his own major life events.

"Four Kings: Leonard, Hagler, Hearns and Duran" by George Kimball, a book about the fights between Leonard, Hagler, Hearns and Duran which are now legendary from the 1980s.

1SILVA
07-13-2010, 10:59 AM
Can anyone recommend me some good boxing books they have read ot know about? I've just finished reading fire & fear so looking for other good reads. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Teddy Atlas autobiography and dave Anderson's book on SRR

DarkTerror88
07-13-2010, 12:47 PM
im not big on reading but i enjoyed "going the distance" the ken norton story.
As for help on actually boxing, id have to say Box like the pros by Joe Frazier and bill detloff is by far the best.

Uturn
07-13-2010, 05:16 PM
Thanks guys! I heard the hands of stone is a great read!

As for help on actually boxing, id have to say Box like the pros by Joe Frazier and bill detloff is by far the best.

Never heard of these books but i'll take a look! Thinking about buying the Joe Frazier autobiography to.

project xxx1
07-13-2010, 05:22 PM
i just read this book,its about boxing,mma,mauy tia and all sorts of fighting,a very good read,he spends time in different camps training for fights,he trains with andre ward and his trainer,for mma he trains with pat miltech camp and shute box team,he also travels to thailand and has a muay tai fight,if you ever get a chance try it mate

http://sportsagentblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/51q1artyrkl_sl500_.jpg

NChristo
07-16-2010, 02:00 PM
Ring Of Fire - Emile Griffith Story

Toney616
07-16-2010, 02:14 PM
The Four Kings by George kimball
It covers the careers of Hagler, Hearns, Duran and Leonard
The Ghosts of Manila by Mark Kram:
It covers the blood feud between Ali and Frazier
The Dark trade by Donald McRae:
The writer spends a lot of time with: Toney, Tyson, Oscar and Eubank

GJC
07-16-2010, 03:34 PM
In This Corner by Peter Heller

McIlvanney on Boxing by Hugh McIlvanney

They Could've Been Contenders by Jim McNeill

That Night in the Garden: Great Fights and Great Moments from Madison Square Gardens by Jim McNeill

Men of Steel: Lives and Times of Boxing's Middleweight Heroes by Peter Walsh

If you don't like those i'll give you your money back :)

McGoorty
07-23-2011, 01:32 AM

Thanks!
LES DARCY - The Legend - Champion of Champions. BY RAYMOND SWANWICK ( try to get the Pictorial Version, real great photo's ), I checked on the net, it's available. Great read with a deep insight into the golden age and incredible round by round accounts of savage fistic battles featuring the great middleweights of the early 20th century and incredibe true accounts of the career of " The Maitland Wonder ". Highly recommended.

The Surgeon
08-07-2011, 09:29 AM
Just finished reading "Fighting Back" The Michael Watson story, very moving and inspirational read. Starts out with alot of boxing but by midway its all about his injury and the recovery process, what a brave and focused man. Hell of a fighter too, ive probably been guilty of overlooking him, his second fight with Eubank was a belter and his win over Benn is under rated even if Nigel improved afterwards

Though mainly a MW i think he gives Calzaghe Hell on earth, how do u see that going guys?

Barn
08-07-2011, 09:32 AM
The Sam Langford book by Moyle is my favourite boxing book.

New England
08-07-2011, 10:42 AM

that book, and a bunch of others traveled across country with me when i got out of school

it's totally destroyed now, and the cover that was once blue is so sunbleached it's seafoam green, but i i still got it!

my favorite boxing book to reread to this date. you can tell joe had a huge involvement in the book
detloff did a tremendous job helping him write it.

also, check out the official boxing HOF register

great but short collection of biography and ringography for SOO MANY different fighters

my register from 15 years ago is what got me into boxing history (the best boxing ^^ )\
that book was a game changer