View Full Version : DREAM LW Champ Shinya Aoki Talks Kawajiri Fight

snakerattle79
07-12-2010, 10:51 AM
Q: Achilles tendon hold is your tactics? Did you make this plan before fight?

A:No,it is Flashing,Inspiration in the ring

Q: Did you feel, “It is possible to go” when you saw KAWAJIRI’s move?

A:When I grappled him, I felt ”I Can!!”

(continue reading…) (http://steverattlesnake.cliquezone.com/archives/273#more-273)

Virgil Caine
07-12-2010, 11:12 AM
Is that you're site? Pretty sick. The text for this article is hard on the eyes though. Light grey on white is not good.

Virgil Caine
07-12-2010, 11:15 AM
Also, that's one hell of a translator job, if I do say so:rolleyes:

Obviously a Japanese dude doing his own translations with limited capability.

Virgil Caine
07-12-2010, 11:34 AM
I'll add my contribution:

The person who translated cut out the part about marriage because he said it doesn't interest him.

From the original Japanese article, after the end of the original question when Aoki says "oh wait, the original question was about marriage" (actually, he says "oh I'm sorry, the question topic changed (laughter)."

There is a question:
When is the marriage to take place?

Aoki:
I think, in October.

Q: How did you propose?

Aoki: (This part is a little difficult): Of course, that is the question, isn't it. From before, there was such a feeling. In my case, there is truly nothing aside from martial arts. This, however, is insufficient. Still, everyone is different.

Q: How did you come to be dating with one another?

Aoki: Well, I can only say there were many twists and turns (laughter).

Q: If it is okay my asking, what is it that she does for you so well?

Aoki: There are obviously so many things I can't do for myself! I'm something of a dark person (laughter).

Virgil Caine
07-12-2010, 11:35 AM
I did my best, sorry if there are some mistakes. I must say that in his own words, Aoki doesn't come off as nearly the prick that he usually does in the English translations. Definitely, he comes off as introverted, but not as a complete dickhead.

Virgil Caine
07-12-2010, 02:06 PM
Alright, **** it I'll try translating from the Japanese piece.

First,

Aoki on the mic postfight:

Today, Pride is no more. For people to come and gather like this, and also because of Kawajiri-san, I tried so very hard. Moreover, I have a personal matter to address. I will be getting married. We have been together since the start of Dream, and we will be married. Thank you to everyone for your support. We will be happy together, and we appreciate all of your support.

The Ring Announcer prompted Aoki to continue:

Back in April, I broke everyone's dream. I am thus burdened with making everyone's dream come true again. This September in Nagoya, I will come face to face with this dream again, and I will be strong.

After the fight:

Aoki: Because of Kawajiri, I was able to come forth with all of my effort. I have a feeling of utmost gratitude.

Q: Was it your plan from before to attack the Achilles tendon?

Aoiki: No, it was an inspiration during the fight.

Q: So then, you decided to try this technique through observing Kawajiri's actions?

Aoiki: As it happened, I was able to employ this technique in the course of grappling.

Q: You seemed to correct the move several times.

No not really, but there was a point where I could hear snapping; however, he would not tap. I said to myself, "ah, so this shall be a death match then." Though it was quite terrible, the first round proceeded as such. I thought to myself, "the leg is already breaking."

{continued below}

Virgil Caine
07-12-2010, 02:34 PM
Q: So then, from the beginning, you had conviction to go to extremes in the course of victory?

Aoki: Clearly, he wouldn't tap; because of his spirit, he was ready to let it break, wasn't he. I felt that an open fracture was going to occur. It's different from me wishing for such an outcome though, of course.

Q: So then, you had a sense that Kawajiri was a very strong spirited opponent then?

Aoki: Yes, it is amazing that he can have so much tolerance, no? His spirit is very strong.

Q: Today, you didn't wear your grappling pants; any comment on this?

Aoki: No, I really have nothing to say about it. (ironically) I wonder, is there such an opinion as that I cannot perform without the long pants?

Q: You spoke with Kawajiri after the fight. What did you speak with him about exactly?

Aoki: I told him that because of him, I was able to bring forth my full effort, and so I wanted to thank him. I don't dislike him, to the contrary, I like him very much as a fighter and as a person. I wanted to thank him.

Q: After the fight, you announced your plans for marriage. Do you have any comments about this?

Aoki: After I lost in April, many people said many bad things about me, it was very regrettable. During that time, she was supporting me very much. Losing that fight in April, to me, was a very big deal. The guys who said that I had lost and so now I was meaningless, I truly wanted to kill those guys. When the fight between me and Kawajiri was decided, to the guys that expected Kawajiri would beat me, to them I wanted to say "**** you." I'm so sorry, the question was something else (laughter).

Q: When is the marriage to take place?

Aoki: I think, in October.

Q: How did you propose?

Aoki: Of course, that is the question, isn't it. From before, there was such a feeling. In my case, there is truly nothing aside from martial arts. This alone however is insufficient. Still, everyone of course is different.

Q: How did you come to be dating with one another?

Aoki: Well, I can only say there were many twists and turns (laughter).

Q: If it is okay my asking, what is it that she does for you so well?

Aoki: There are obviously so many things I can't do for myself! I'm something of a dark person (laughter).

Q: What are your plans in terms of defending your title?

Aoki: I was really hoping to fight Kikuno if he would've won tonight. But, he lost, and now it is upto [Dream executive producer Keichi] Sasahara. If it was up to me, I have a strong compulsion to fight at Deep in October.

Editors note: Kawajiri was taken to the hospital, and so was unavailable for comments.

Virgil Caine
07-12-2010, 02:41 PM
My translation is not perfect, and surely has some mistakes, but is much more accurate than the one featured in the link. How about that, Aoki is not some crazy man after all. Not sure if that will help his image in the States or not.

Virgil Caine
07-12-2010, 02:42 PM
Also, feel free to use my translation at will. The one in the link looked like it came from a blog anyways, so this is every bit as credible a source, although probably more credible.