View Full Version : Any tips on getting into amatuer boxing?

PeterTheGreat
07-08-2010, 02:40 PM
I got most of the basics down. I have a few family members that used to be in the amateurs, and I've been in mma for a year. I'm 5'10 almost 5'11, and about 120-125 pounds. With about 26'-27 inch arm reach. Do you guys have any tips for me when I start training in September? And if I had to cut down in weight what weight would I have to cut down to?

Yael The Great
07-08-2010, 02:44 PM
I got most of the basics down. I have a few family members that used to be in the amateurs, and I've been in mma for a year. I'm 5'10 almost 5'11, and about 120-125 pounds. With about 26'-27 inch arm reach. Do you guys have any tips for me when I start training in September? And if I had to cut down in weight what weight would I have to cut down to?

have you had a pure boxing training or an mma boxing training?

SBleeder
07-08-2010, 02:48 PM
Mma people typically can't box for crap. Find a real boxing gym with a real boxing trainer if you're serious about getting into boxing.

PeterTheGreat
07-08-2010, 02:58 PM
have you had a pure boxing training or an mma boxing training?

Mma people typically can't box for crap. Find a real boxing gym with a real boxing trainer if you're serious about getting into boxing.

Haha I know what you guys must be thinking. The trainer there has worked with a lot of experienced, and well trained pure boxers. He has had 6 years of boxing experience himself. He is a MMA trainer, but he knows tons about boxing. I've learned how to box in pure boxing fashion, and I have also learned how to use boxing in mma. That's what I worked on the most there was boxing. I'm still pretty noob, but that didn't stop me from using the philly shell :P.

supRa
07-08-2010, 03:43 PM
gain weight....

PeterTheGreat
07-08-2010, 04:01 PM
gain weight....

I eat well. I work out well enough. Even when I did my basic training in the army last year I felt great, and when I weighed myself about 5 weeks into the course I was at 116 pounds. I think I would have an advantage having decent height, and reach in the smaller divisions.

Yael The Great
07-08-2010, 08:01 PM
Haha I know what you guys must be thinking. The trainer there has worked with a lot of experienced, and well trained pure boxers. He has had 6 years of boxing experience himself. He is a MMA trainer, but he knows tons about boxing. I've learned how to box in pure boxing fashion, and I have also learned how to use boxing in mma. That's what I worked on the most there was boxing. I'm still pretty noob, but that didn't stop me from using the philly shell :P.

get into a real boxing gym, dedicated to boxing, boxing training is mor intence than mma training.

dustyaguas
07-08-2010, 10:18 PM
get into a real boxing gym, dedicated to boxing, boxing training is mor intence than mma training.

hrmm...while i do agree if you want to box, it is better to find a gym with a dedicated boxing program, but saying boxing training is more intense than mma training is just idiotic. training for 3 different aspects of a sport plus strength & conditioning is very difficult. now i'm not saying mma fighters train harder or vice versa, just think a bit.

Danny Gunz
07-08-2010, 10:25 PM
Get into a good ****ing diet... I cant stress this enough. When i started boxing my diet was **** and it took me a while to change my habits and you feel better then ever when you are eating healthy.

Chip2006uk
07-08-2010, 10:51 PM
Holy crap dude you dont weight much at all, Im 5'11 and at 140lbs I consider myself fairly skinny

Yael The Great
07-08-2010, 10:56 PM
hrmm...while i do agree if you want to box, it is better to find a gym with a dedicated boxing program, but saying boxing training is more intense than mma training is just idiotic. training for 3 different aspects of a sport plus strength & conditioning is very difficult. now i'm not saying mma fighters train harder or vice versa, just think a bit.

Have you seen any mma fighters so far, all of the "well rounded" fighters are mediocre in all their skills and every other fighers is mostly all one sided. MMA fighters tend to be flabby, take liddel for instance.

#1Assassin
07-09-2010, 06:25 AM
like ppl have said already get into a real boxing gym, thats a no brainer. guys from mma have extremely poor boxing skills by comparison.

dont listen to the retard who told u to gain weight. ppl have diffrent genes, some are leaner than others. if sandy saddler or celestino caballero bulked up do u think they would be more or less effective?

just train for ability, then u will find out what your best weight is and after that u can decide if u want to drop a pound or two to make a lower weight class or not.

one tip i would give u is that if u plan to start boxing in september, start running now and get in shape. run 2-3 times a week, and do some basic groundwork to prepare u for boxing. even once a week is good, as long as u dont just sit on your ass. naturally slim ppl like u and me sometimes trick ourselfs we are in shape just cuz we dont put on weight and get fat, even though we might not be in shape at all.

if u dont get in shape u will not really be able to work on your skills for a couple of weeks once u get into the gym. u will have to get in shape first, but if u are already in shape u can go right to work. and when i say shape i dont mean fighting shape, like i said just do some running and situps and u will be prepared enough.

Spartacus Sully
07-09-2010, 06:39 AM

You can only do one thing at a time it dosnt matter how many skills your learning you can only work on one of them at a time. there is not variance of intensity dependent upon the number of skill sets with in any work out.

as well you can only do one exercise at a time and assuming you both spend the same amount of time working out there is not variance of intensity.

to claim one is more intense then the other is stupid. they can both be equally intense as the intensity solely relies on the person doing the exercise or the coach training the person.

PeterTheGreat
07-10-2010, 12:09 AM
Yeah the thing is though. The boxing gym here sucks. No joke. I live in a small city(18 thousand people), and the mma club is better then the boxing gym. But I love boxing and I wouldn't mind getting into amateur boxing so this is the path I am going to take. I have nothing against mma, I in fact enjoy doing, and watching mma. But I get a totally different feeling from doing something or watching something boxing related. And I couldn't say for sure that mma training is more intense then boxing training, because I haven't done a lot of pure boxing training. All I can say on that is they are totally different. Boxing you're working on totally differn't things then you would be in mma.

DR.ORGYY
07-10-2010, 12:11 AM
fight at 118....

PeterTheGreat
07-10-2010, 08:11 AM
fight at 118....

Right now I want to fight at the lower weights. I got good power in my punch's(mostly straights, and the left uppercut). And I have got some natural speed. My dream though is to make it up to welter weight at some point.

ChowAce
07-11-2010, 06:34 AM
Holy ****!! your 5'11 and 120 pounds? You must be a stick. I would not cut anymore weight. I would get to a boxing gym and train from a real boxing trainer if you want to get into the amatuers.

PeterTheGreat
07-11-2010, 07:31 AM
Holy ****!! your 5'11 and 120 pounds? You must be a stick. I would not cut anymore weight. I would get to a boxing gym and train from a real boxing trainer if you want to get into the amatuers.

Almost 5'11 haha.

BG_Knocc_Out
07-11-2010, 08:09 AM
Go to a straight boxing gym first. There's a few MMA gyms here in Minnesota that have their younger fighters compete in the AM's and they only find success on rare occasions. Trust me, it's bad. Don't learn from a boxing instructor from an MMA gym regardless because they are surrounded by MMA, not Boxing.

PeterTheGreat
07-11-2010, 08:25 AM
Go to a straight boxing gym first. There's a few MMA gyms here in Minnesota that have their younger fighters compete in the AM's and they only find success on rare occasions. Trust me, it's bad. Don't learn from a boxing instructor from an MMA gym regardless because they are surrounded by MMA, not Boxing.

Hahaha I know what it's like to be in a MMA club geez. My trainer works with boxers all the time. He himself knows ALOT about boxing. He isn't the best at it, but he makes everyone else in the club look ****ing terrible. He taught me how to time punches, counter punch, use distance, different defensive styles. Thing's you can use in those styles. He taught me feigns, and how to clinch. He himself loves and respects boxing, but I guess his heart lies with mma. Which is the direct opposite of me. Where I like mma, but my heart lies with boxing. I've sparred with a few tomato cans there that haven't worked on boxing as much as me, and I really enjoyed it. The trainer there knows the differences between boxing and mma. He is a very smart individual.

Bronsky
07-11-2010, 09:13 AM
You must not know what everybody means so I'll break it down for you. No, go to a boxing gym. Regardless of how much your trainer may know. Do you want to train and spar against MMA fighters? That's why as previously mentioned boxers from MMA gyms rarely have success. You're going up against medicore competition with the hands. They have no real boxing movement/training. I've seen boxers from MMA gyms; they're alright with the hands but have a false sense of confidence because they may be the best at the hands in their gym but that's due to going up against medicore competition. From personal experience sparring guys at MMA gyms, they seem to throw shots at full power with ok speed and don't have the mentality of boxers. They're like robots. Anyone here who is a boxer and has sparred MMA guys know exactly what I mean. Spar with all your guys from your MMA gym and then spar maybe one or two guys from an actual boxing gym. Chances are, you'll get wrecked or you'll do ok and then wonder where all your skills went? How did I do so much better at my gym? Nobody is talking about our trainer. What they mean is actual boxing gym experience, regardless of how good your coach is and bow well you perform in standup against guys in your gym, they are not boxers. Pay attentionand listen, you came here asking for advice correct? Well there are actual fighters/boxers/people who've trained in boxing their whole life here. We know wha we're talking about. If you want to be "ok" with amateur boxing then stick to the MMA gym and spar people who are surrounded by MMA styles/movements and go ahead and get tha false sense of confidence OR get to a good boxing gym and realize that your boxing skills/movements need major improvement due to the lack of actual experience against other real boxers (not people who've been taught some hand skills but actual boxers). This has nothing to do with how good you're coach is, it has to do with your personal growth. Again, you are talking to people (some) with actual experience/knowledge in boxing. Get to a boxing gym bro, trust me.

Del Coqui
07-11-2010, 10:35 AM

Basics is everything, dont try to rush into becoming Mayweather, take your time and experience will take care of you.

Del Coqui
07-11-2010, 10:36 AM
You must not know what everybody means so I'll break it down for you. No, go to a boxing gym. Regardless of how much your trainer may know. Do you want to train and spar against MMA fighters? That's why as previously mentioned boxers from MMA gyms rarely have success. You're going up against medicore competition with the hands. They have no real boxing movement/training. I've seen boxers from MMA gyms; they're alright with the hands but have a false sense of confidence because they may be the best at the hands in their gym but that's due to going up against medicore competition. From personal experience sparring guys at MMA gyms, they seem to throw shots at full power with ok speed and don't have the mentality of boxers. They're like robots. Anyone here who is a boxer and has sparred MMA guys know exactly what I mean. Spar with all your guys from your MMA gym and then spar maybe one or two guys from an actual boxing gym. Chances are, you'll get wrecked or you'll do ok and then wonder where all your skills went? How did I do so much better at my gym? Nobody is talking about our trainer. What they mean is actual boxing gym experience, regardless of how good your coach is and bow well you perform in standup against guys in your gym, they are not boxers. Pay attentionand listen, you came here asking for advice correct? Well there are actual fighters/boxers/people who've trained in boxing their whole life here. We know wha we're talking about. If you want to be "ok" with amateur boxing then stick to the MMA gym and spar people who are surrounded by MMA styles/movements and go ahead and get tha false sense of confidence OR get to a good boxing gym and realize that your boxing skills/movements need major improvement due to the lack of actual experience against other real boxers (not people who've been taught some hand skills but actual boxers). This has nothing to do with how good you're coach is, it has to do with your personal growth. Again, you are talking to people (some) with actual experience/knowledge in boxing. Get to a boxing gym bro, trust me.

^^^^^^^^^^^ good post.

bernardotelo
07-11-2010, 10:41 AM

:) that's right

Yael The Great
07-11-2010, 10:43 AM
Hahaha I know what it's like to be in a MMA club geez. My trainer works with boxers all the time. He himself knows ALOT about boxing. He isn't the best at it, but he makes everyone else in the club look ****ing terrible. He taught me how to time punches, counter punch, use distance, different defensive styles. Thing's you can use in those styles. He taught me feigns, and how to clinch. He himself loves and respects boxing, but I guess his heart lies with mma. Which is the direct opposite of me. Where I like mma, but my heart lies with boxing. I've sparred with a few tomato cans there that haven't worked on boxing as much as me, and I really enjoyed it. The trainer there knows the differences between boxing and mma. He is a very smart individual.

Although he knows boxing, his boxing is more focused in an mma format, also the only competition in your gym will be mma fighters, instead of pure boxers. Also, the clinch is not allowed in boxing, which is why refs pull them apart.

Domey
07-11-2010, 08:57 PM

I haven't read any replies, but you are VERY tall for your divison. I fight at 126 and I am 5'7, I have only fought one person taller then me in all of my fights.

I do not know your age, but at that height and weight, you must be fairly young with a very high metabolism. Losing weight? Haha, if anything you could add some weight. Then again, if I am correct in my assumptions, gaining weight will be hard as well. Let it happen naturally.

If you can manage that weight, and if you have any kind of fight in you, you should do very well.

How to get into amature boxing? Goto a gym =)

PeterTheGreat
07-12-2010, 01:50 AM
I haven't read any replies, but you are VERY tall for your divison. I fight at 126 and I am 5'7, I have only fought one person taller then me in all of my fights.

I do not know your age, but at that height and weight, you must be fairly young with a very high metabolism. Losing weight? Haha, if anything you could add some weight. Then again, if I am correct in my assumptions, gaining weight will be hard as well. Let it happen naturally.

If you can manage that weight, and if you have any kind of fight in you, you should do very well.

How to get into amature boxing? Goto a gym =)

I'm 18. Pretty old in boxing standards to just be going into a gym. But Sergio Martinez hit the gym at 20. And The Galaxy Warrior Nate Cambell Became a boxer at 27.

PeterTheGreat
07-12-2010, 01:58 AM

Thanks that's some great information! I don't plan on getting into amateur boxing with training from an mma club haha. That would be ridiculous. And I know what you mean about mma fighters firing their punches with 75% power. And the bad foot work. BJ Penn from the ufc got out boxed in one of last fights. The same guy Freddie Roach said to probably have had the best boxing in the ufc haha. Although the guy he had fought had a good amateur career before going into mma. The thing that was getting him was the foot work and lateral movement. I've watched a lot of Malinaggi fights even though hes not great and I have kinda taught myself to be a mover. My coach told me that punching with speed is like making your hands as light as possible, and to get them back as fast as possible or your opponent will follow your punch back with a counter punch. I know I need to get into a boxing gym to even consider going into amateur boxing. Thinking otherwise is pretty uh, for the lack of a better word stupid.

BG_Knocc_Out
07-12-2010, 02:28 AM
MMA is huge here in Minnesota, and I very often go to MMA gyms for sparring (I get paid to do so on most occasions), and one thing I've noticed is that MMA fighters are scared to strike outside of the longer ranges. They can't fight in close because they are not taught to do so in their sport, rendering the need for inside and mid range boxing useless. I actually started out at an MMA gym for the first 6 months. A gym called A.S.M.A. here that had a boxing instructor, who I believed DID know a lot about boxing and acted so, but as soon as I had my first fight, I got my ass whooped, and hard. That's because I was boxing at MMA standards. Now I train out of the best gym in Minnesota, Circle of Discipline, with fighters who are highly ranked in their weight divisions and are well known in the AM's, and trust me, I've seen the difference. It's so much different that now my old gym has me come down and give them pointers on the kids who want to get into boxing through an MMA gym. It may not feel like it, but the differences are drastic. When you've got a trainer who focuses on MMA more than boxing, it's not a reliable trainer. The trainers you need are the ones who eat, sleep, and **** boxing. I've helped train with fighters out of gyms with Sergio Cunha, and Minnesota Martial Arts Academy. I even had the privilege of sparring Sean Sherk, who's a big MMA fighter here in Minnesota and was on the UFC level. I only mention this because I've been around, I've seen both sides to both training. El Huracan explains it perfectly.

PeterTheGreat
07-13-2010, 05:01 AM
MMA is huge here in Minnesota, and I very often go to MMA gyms for sparring (I get paid to do so on most occasions), and one thing I've noticed is that MMA fighters are scared to strike outside of the longer ranges. They can't fight in close because they are not taught to do so in their sport, rendering the need for inside and mid range boxing useless. I actually started out at an MMA gym for the first 6 months. A gym called A.S.M.A. here that had a boxing instructor, who I believed DID know a lot about boxing and acted so, but as soon as I had my first fight, I got my ass whooped, and hard. That's because I was boxing at MMA standards. Now I train out of the best gym in Minnesota, Circle of Discipline, with fighters who are highly ranked in their weight divisions and are well known in the AM's, and trust me, I've seen the difference. It's so much different that now my old gym has me come down and give them pointers on the kids who want to get into boxing through an MMA gym. It may not feel like it, but the differences are drastic. When you've got a trainer who focuses on MMA more than boxing, it's not a reliable trainer. The trainers you need are the ones who eat, sleep, and **** boxing. I've helped train with fighters out of gyms with Sergio Cunha, and Minnesota Martial Arts Academy. I even had the privilege of sparring Sean Sherk, who's a big MMA fighter here in Minnesota and was on the UFC level. I only mention this because I've been around, I've seen both sides to both training. El Huracan explains it perfectly.

Thanks! That's some good stuff. It sounds like you have a lot of experience!

BG_Knocc_Out
07-13-2010, 04:59 PM
Thanks! That's some good stuff. It sounds like you have a lot of experience!

I wouldn't say I have a lot of experience in boxing, but I have a lot of experience in dealing with both sports and the differences.