View Full Version : Gonna start running.

yodamann
07-07-2010, 05:47 PM
'Ello, everyone. I'm a running newbie, so I have no idea how long and/or far I should run. I'm 5'10, and I weigh 151.4 lbs.

Squirrel
07-07-2010, 06:12 PM
What are your goals for this running?

Sam Donald
07-07-2010, 06:17 PM
Start off short and see how it is

Your too vague

yodamann
07-07-2010, 06:19 PM
What are your goals for this running?

Endurance.

And I plan on joinin' a boxing gym sometime next month so...yeah.

Sam Donald
07-07-2010, 06:32 PM
Endurance.

And I plan on joinin' a boxing gym sometime next month so...yeah.

O cool - its good that your gonna run a month before.

Just see what you can do right now. Try set a reasonable target from your house to somewhere. See how you feel, time it etc

It will fall in place

Have your long term target at 3miles from your house

Start off small

Cleaning up ur diet helps as well

good luck

Uturn
07-07-2010, 06:39 PM
Gradually build up on your stamina. No point in going all out and running a stupid amount of miles when your body is up to it. Slow pace, chin up, see how you feel after you done a mile or two.

yodamann
07-07-2010, 06:41 PM
O cool - its good that your gonna run a month before.

Just see what you can do right now. Try set a reasonable target from your house to somewhere. See how you feel, time it etc

It will fall in place

Have your long term target at 3miles from your house

Start off small

Cleaning up ur diet helps as well

good luck

Thanks! :D

There's a park about 1/2 a mile away, would that be a reasonable target or should I aim for a farther/shorter distance??

yodamann
07-07-2010, 06:45 PM
Gradually build up on your stamina. No point in going all out and running a stupid amount of miles when your body is up to it. Slow pace, chin up, see how you feel after you done a mile or two.

Thanks for the advice~ :D

Jakutindi Wauya
07-07-2010, 09:17 PM
You might as well just shock your body once and for all,go 5 miles slowly if need be,you will be fit soon

Sam Donald
07-08-2010, 07:51 AM
Thanks! :D

There's a park about 1/2 a mile away, would that be a reasonable target or should I aim for a farther/shorter distance??

Howver u feel - its whatever u feel u can do really

Sugarj
07-08-2010, 04:00 PM
I'm a similar height and just a few pounds heavier. I began my running by starting with a 1.3 mile circuit around the local park. Always time yourself and try to improve your times.

I now genuinely enjoy running distances upto half marathon.

You'll show improvement after a few days. I find that running while listening to an MP3 player helps.

As you improve you should naturally want to extend your distance. See how you get on and post up a few updates, I'll keep an eye open for your posts.

yodamann
07-09-2010, 01:31 AM
I'm a similar height and just a few pounds heavier. I began my running by starting with a 1.3 mile circuit around the local park. Always time yourself and try to improve your times.

I now genuinely enjoy running distances upto half marathon.

You'll show improvement after a few days. I find that running while listening to an MP3 player helps.

As you improve you should naturally want to extend your distance. See how you get on and post up a few updates, I'll keep an eye open for your posts.

D: Oh man, you beat me by 0.4 miles!

And thank you for the advice!

yodamann
07-09-2010, 01:33 AM
Blargh, didn't do so great IMO. Ran about 0.9 miles in...5 minutes before my thighs and lungs began to burn like a- yeah.

Sugarj
07-09-2010, 11:32 AM
Hi Yodaman. If you seriously ran 0.9 miles in five minutes........thats a superb beginner time!

Perhaps too good for a beginner! Did you do well in cross country running or track and field at school?

Your time roughly equates to five minutes thirty for a mile. Most beginners struggle to get their first mile in under seven minutes.

Needless to say I'd check your distance measurement, but if it checks out you have a great base of fitness to take into amateur boxing.

See how fast it takes you to do 4 x 400 metre laps of a local track. If your time comes up between 5 and 6 minutes, you are right on the money!!!

Frighteous
07-09-2010, 01:33 PM
Around 2:30am this morning I went on a 4 mile run with boxing gloves, on the highway. At the 1 mile mark I stopped in front of a large business and began working my jab and shooting in the cross every 10 or so jabs. Working on footwork, jabbing, moving.

A cop passes, more or less slams his brakes lol, I kept doing what I was doing.

I get back on the road resume my roadwork, get about 1.5 miles up the road and decided to work my jab at Raising Canes, because I wanted to sit and take a 1 minute break between 2 rounds of mild shadowboxing.

across the street at a gas station, 3 cops and a k-9 unit backed in watching me what I was doing. I just ignored them and kept doing what I was doing, rested and did it again for 3 minutes. Then I just worked my jab for a little bit in the parking lot...they didn't leave. They were there for a total of 15 minutes all in their cars watching me...lol, if I ever decide to be a cop which I won't, they'll remember the nut who ran in the middle of the night with boxing gloves on that's for damn sure

but I know cops respect boxing, at least cops who aren't douchers.

why did I run at 2:30 with gloves?

cuz hernandez prolly didn't and that's why im gonna smash him.

yodamann
07-09-2010, 02:11 PM
Hi Yodaman. If you seriously ran 0.9 miles in five minutes........thats a superb beginner time!

Perhaps too good for a beginner! Did you do well in cross country running or track and field at school?

Your time roughly equates to five minutes thirty for a mile. Most beginners struggle to get their first mile in under seven minutes.

Needless to say I'd check your distance measurement, but if it checks out you have a great base of fitness to take into amateur boxing.

See how fast it takes you to do 4 x 400 metre laps of a local track. If your time comes up between 5 and 6 minutes, you are right on the money!!!

R-really? I was always really bad at running. Last time I ran a mile was about a year ago, and that took me roughly 8.5 minutes. D:

And if only there were a local track anywhere near my place. Well, I suppose I could just go to my high school's and use their's. They wouldn't mind, right? Nahhh.

yodamann
07-09-2010, 02:13 PM
Around 2:30am this morning I went on a 4 mile run with boxing gloves, on the highway. At the 1 mile mark I stopped in front of a large business and began working my jab and shooting in the cross every 10 or so jabs. Working on footwork, jabbing, moving.

A cop passes, more or less slams his brakes lol, I kept doing what I was doing.

I get back on the road resume my roadwork, get about 1.5 miles up the road and decided to work my jab at Raising Canes, because I wanted to sit and take a 1 minute break between 2 rounds of mild shadowboxing.

across the street at a gas station, 3 cops and a k-9 unit backed in watching me what I was doing. I just ignored them and kept doing what I was doing, rested and did it again for 3 minutes. Then I just worked my jab for a little bit in the parking lot...they didn't leave. They were there for a total of 15 minutes all in their cars watching me...lol, if I ever decide to be a cop which I won't, they'll remember the nut who ran in the middle of the night with boxing gloves on that's for damn sure

but I know cops respect boxing, at least cops who aren't douchers.

why did I run at 2:30 with gloves?

cuz hernandez prolly didn't and that's why im gonna smash him.

D: O-oh wow. No cops around where I live, so no random men/women with badges and guns watchin' me while I run.

T.Horton
07-09-2010, 02:19 PM
Endurance.

And I plan on joinin' a boxing gym sometime next month so...yeah.personally, i think you should jog until you have to stop, walk until you can run again and repeat. do this until you can jog your desired distance and then you can start mixing in intervals and such.

that's just me.

yodamann
07-09-2010, 02:23 PM
personally, i think you should jog until you have to stop, walk until you can run again and repeat. do this until you can jog your desired distance and then you can start mixing in intervals and such.

that's just me.

Sounds like a plan, I'll try it out tonight. :D

Sugarj
07-09-2010, 05:15 PM
Hi Yodamann,

I doubt your old school would have any problems at all with you using their track in the evenings. Most schools encourage this sort of thing.........and you'll get an accurate distance measurement.

Frighteous
07-09-2010, 05:25 PM
Hi Yodamann,

I doubt your old school would have any problems at all with you using their track in the evenings. Most schools encourage this sort of thing.........and you'll get an accurate distance measurement.

I jump a fence at an apartment complex im not a member of to be able to shadowbox underwater.

If you're gonna put your brain on the line and compete in boxing, I suggest being less of a ***** when it comes to caring about someone booting you off a track. Do what you gotta do to get that work in, and if someone tells you to leave, bounce.

Frighteous
07-09-2010, 05:40 PM
sorry if i sound like a dick but i speak my mind and thats why my karma is red, i aint like these other ***** mother****ers on here that beg for karma in good karma threads lol...i speak my mind and imho contacting a damn school to ask them if you can run on their track is the stupidest thing ive ever heard in my life coming from someone trying to do boxing training or compete in boxing. the guy who answers that phone call will hang up thinking, 'that guys a dip****' if you call and ask if you can use the track.

yodamann
07-09-2010, 05:45 PM
sorry if i sound like a dick but i speak my mind and thats why my karma is red, i aint like these other ***** mother****ers on here that beg for karma in good karma threads lol...

XD Nah, I don't mind.
Only problem is my high school is a 40 minute walk away. Don't have my driver's permit/license yet, so...yeah. Maybe running from my place to the park and back is good for now.

Joachim
07-09-2010, 06:13 PM
I just do laps around my neighborhood. going to a track isn't too important, a lot of people advocate it, but I hate running to begin with; I'd rather get it done as easily and short as possible. The way I see it, the time spent while transporting to a location to run, could just as easily be spent just stepping outside and just going.

yodamann
07-10-2010, 12:44 AM
I just do laps around my neighborhood. going to a track isn't too important, a lot of people advocate it, but I hate running to begin with; I'd rather get it done as easily and short as possible. The way I see it, the time spent while transporting to a location to run, could just as easily be spent just stepping outside and just going.

I concur. Kinda. I like knowing how many miles/quarters of a mile I've ran. :P

yodamann
07-12-2010, 01:20 AM
Haven't been able to run the past few days. Furckin' shin splints. Would doing calf raises or stretching/combination of both prevent shins from splinting?

Spartacus Sully
07-12-2010, 01:35 AM
Haven't been able to run the past few days. Furckin' shin splints. Would doing calf raises or stretching/combination of both prevent shins from splinting?

yes, but make sure you warm up before you stretch.

yodamann
07-12-2010, 01:36 AM
yes, but make sure you warm up before you stretch.

Hmmm, would skipping rope be an okay warm-up?

Spartacus Sully
07-12-2010, 01:43 AM
Hmmm, would skipping rope be an okay warm-up?

probly not, jumping rope can cause shin splints just as much as running.

Id say walk 5 mins for a warm up and do some light stretching. I usually break for a few seconds ever mile so, so after my first mile/the first break i take i do most my stretching then and make sure to stretch again after im done running.

yodamann
07-12-2010, 01:47 AM
probly not, jumping rope can cause shin splints just as much as running.

Id say walk 5 mins for a warm up and do some light stretching. I usually break for a few seconds ever mile so, so after my first mile/the first break i take i do most my stretching then and make sure to stretch again after im done running.

Oh right. > <

Ahh, I see. Danke for the tips!