View Full Version : I think the ref should have stopped the fight.

'Sugar' Freddi
07-05-2010, 01:54 PM
Brock took a lot of punishment, and we seen much earlier stoppages in other fights and they weren't even being pounded like Brock was.

Carwin was pounding Lesnar like this for 5 minutes:
http://www.listentothis.org/images/lesnarcarwin.gif
http://media.kansascity.com/smedia/2010/07/04/02/431-APTOPIX_UFC_116_Mixed_Martial_Arts.sff.standalone. prod_affiliate.81.jpg

Just look at Brock's face at the end of the night:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZcnCPXK46M

http://media.kansascity.com/smedia/2010/07/04/00/92-UFC_116_Mixed_Martial_Arts.sff.embedded.prod_affil iate.81.jpg

kaps
07-05-2010, 02:37 PM
If it wasn't Brock that **** would've been stopped. Dana keeps his cash cow on top. Props to Brock though for weathering the storm and coming back to finish...

$ LegenD $
07-05-2010, 02:39 PM
ref did a good job...brock was alert at all times covered up good but managed to move around to show the ref he was still in it....but damn carwin has some freaking power

th4l3pr3ch4un
07-05-2010, 02:49 PM
Its a championship fight and I dont know if you have even seen Brock Lesnar but he is a proven tough son of a ***** and the ref is not about to call a world title fight early and I have a hard time believing your a real fight fan if you wanted that fight to be called because the wrong man would be wearing the Belt. Carwin was one or two punches away from being champion and im sure its leaving a bitter taste in his mouth but almost winning is not the same as finishing an opponent

- v e t -
07-05-2010, 02:50 PM
If it wasn't Brock that **** would've been stopped. Dana keeps his cash cow on top. Props to Brock though for weathering the storm and coming back to finish...

exactly

same ole dana white BS

kaps
07-05-2010, 02:53 PM
Its a championship fight and I dont know if you have even seen Brock Lesnar but he is a proven tough son of a ***** and the ref is not about to call a world title fight early and I have a hard time believing your a real fight fan if you wanted that fight to be called because the wrong man would be wearing the Belt. Carwin was one or two punches away from being champion and im sure its leaving a bitter taste in his mouth but almost winning is not the same as finishing an opponent

The fight wasn't called, and apparently you've just begun watching MMA...

TBEC2
07-05-2010, 03:37 PM

I can agree, but its not the fact that Brock won that bothers me. Credit to Brock, it takes alot to withstand that kind of beating and come out and win the way he did.

What troubles me as well as with most is the fact that industry politics showed their face in the middle of a championship bout.

Im not going to sit here and say Carwin was robbed cause obviously he should of finished Lesnar.

But it is troubling to see obvious favoritism.

Great job done by Lesnar he deserves to wear that belt he took a beating and came out on top.

Just a shame to see the politics show in any fight.

kenso
07-05-2010, 03:45 PM
i mean, its hard to say that the fight should have been stopped when brock ended up winning. i've seen stoppages for less, but i think the ref did a good job. brock was not out cold, he was coherent - good call by the ref. however, i am surprised it wasn't stopped. brock never took like 5 unanswered shots with zero reaction, he never looked like he was completely knocked out so...

if it would have been stopped would i have been surprised? hell no. i've seen stoppages for much less. however, you cant say the ref was not right in his decision, look how the fight turned out.

Virgil Caine
07-05-2010, 04:20 PM
In all honesty, when I was watching the fight, I believed that it should have been stopped. You don't usually see a guy take such a sustained beating like that for such an amount of time on the bottom without a fight being stopped. After rewatching the fight though, Brock was active on the bottom, and save for a few big shots, there were not that many extraordinarily telling blows which landed cleanly. Could it have been stopped? Yes. However, it was not necessarily a fight which warranted a stoppage, based on the fact that Brock, to his credit, remained active on the bottom, and that Shane never established entirely dominant position from which to strike from. Another thing I noted, at one point Brock sort of kicked Shane off (or pushed him with his feet as it were) with a little over a minute left in the round. Shane got to his feet, and signaled for Brock to stand, but than immediately opted to dive back into Brock's guard. I simply had to wonder if this was when Shane realized he was gassed, because after this he didn't do a goddamn thing.

SplitSecond
07-05-2010, 06:01 PM
not like carwin was landing that hard/cleanly tho
but it should've been stopped just because he was getting pounded for 3 minutes straight

Gorilla Dogs
07-05-2010, 09:19 PM
Brock was blockin those punches with his tree trunk arms, no damage done

move along boys and girls

'Sugar' Freddi
07-05-2010, 11:10 PM
Brock was blockin those punches with his tree trunk arms, no damage done

move along boys and girls

Even if you seem to be blocking them, you're still taking punishment from pressure of the punches.

BoxingTech718
07-06-2010, 12:25 AM
No, Brock apparently has a cement head to go with his freakishly huge body. Carwin shot his load too fast and only has himself to blame.

TBEC2
07-06-2010, 01:09 AM
Rory MacDonald was still moving around and blocking with his forearms in the Condit fight but because he was taking shots for just shy of 5 minutes the ref made the call that he was done, which was damn good officiating.

The Lesnar fight was pretty much the same story but no stoppage.

One cant help but feel that Lesnar's name saved him.

He did rally a comeback and won. Very impressive performance and Brock defiantly deserves that belt. Too bad it under distasteful circumstances.

Gorilla Dogs
07-06-2010, 01:17 AM
No.

#1. Brock wasnt losing any conciousness

#2. He was perfectly protected from the punches with his arms

#3. I fkn hate when refs stop fights early. I pay to see the fight i wanne see it go the distance or someone getting GTFO

..... But i do agree if he just stayed there for another while just taking the punches on the ground you would have to stop the fight if he wasnt responding AT ALL.

But overall i hate early stoppages