View Full Version : Carwin Says " Body Began To Seize Up"

American_Ninja
07-04-2010, 06:47 PM
By Shane Carwin via MMA UG
He showed the heart of a Champion last night. Most men would fold under that kind of pressure.

I really appreciate all the support and messages. I am honored to have had the chance to fight for the belt and will be working my ass off to get another shot.

There are a lot of deserving fighters out there and now it is Cain's turn to see what he can do. I will be back in the mix soon enough.

As for my health, I am good. My body began to seize up towards the end of the 1st and it was totally locked up in between rounds. I told my Coaches I could not move my legs. I have never felt like that before in my life. I had to answer the bell so I did what I could do and went out like any warrior would do and tried to fight through it.

Being a Champion is about living and fighting through adversity. Brock Lesnar has done just that, not only in coming back to submit me but throughout his medical struggles too. I hope I can earn another shot someday.

For me I am going to do a signing today and then head home to be with my family and spend a little quality time on the lakes in my Malibu Boat. It has been a long camp and a even longer set of camps waiting for this fight. I need a rest.

Thank you to my coaches, sponsors and manager for everything you have done and continue to do for me. You guys have made this a fun journey and one I would travel anytime.

My goal is to win the UFC Heavyweight Title, I want to be the best fighter on the planet. I will be working hard and doing everything I need to do to earn that title.

For now I will settle for loving father, husband and loyal friend...

-Carwin

I'm wondering if this was a result of low oxygen blood level?

ANACONDA
07-04-2010, 06:53 PM
It's called "getting gassed".

DR.ORGYY
07-04-2010, 06:54 PM
it's called "getting gassed".

pretty much......

letsgobrady
07-04-2010, 06:56 PM
it's crazy how mma fighters gas out after 1 round

Gorilla Dogs
07-04-2010, 07:02 PM

its cuz they do wrestling and all that b.s

they use their whole body at all times and going to the ground really tires you out and **** too

DR.ORGYY
07-04-2010, 07:04 PM

you could tell these guys dont train like the elite boxers do......

Dorian
07-04-2010, 07:05 PM
Gassed.

http://www.listentothis.org/images/carwingas.gif

Clegg
07-04-2010, 07:10 PM
Hopefully he comes back stronger. He seems like a decent, humble guy, and I think he can learn from the fight and improve. I'm still a fan.

Maybe nerves had something to do with what happened. He may have been too tense going in, or maybe it was simply a case of going all out for the KO and then having nothing left when it didn't happen.

American_Ninja
07-04-2010, 07:35 PM
Hopefully he comes back stronger. He seems like a decent, humble guy, and I think he can learn from the fight and improve. I'm still a fan.

Maybe nerves had something to do with what happened. He may have been too tense going in, or maybe it was simply a case of going all out for the KO and then having nothing left when it didn't happen.

Thats gotta be a scary thing. I heard he had a panic attack or something in the dressing room after.

Prince Boateng
07-04-2010, 07:58 PM
One thing I've noticed about MMA fighters is the lack of conditioning. Especially watching the Ultimate fighter reality series, none of these guys seem to have cardio, after one takedown both fighters are gassed.

Anthony342
07-04-2010, 08:11 PM

Yeah, many of them. That's what cost Mark Coleman the Heavyweight title years ago. This is the first time Carwin has gone past the first round. For some fighters, it can be tough when they're not used to going past a certain point in a real fight. It happens to some boxers too, early in their careers.

kenso
07-04-2010, 08:49 PM
obviously you guys have never wrestled before. dude i can box pretty good for about 6 rounds or so, and ive never had any real training outside of casual weight lifting and bag hitting. one round of wrestling though is WAY more tiring. go outside and wrestle with your friends - then talk **** about how boxing is harder than MMA.

to say MMA guys dont train as hard as boxers is ****ing stupid. those ultimate fighter guys are not examples of how elite level MMA guys train. those are dudes off of the street, they can't put in the same kind of training that guys like GSP can. just like i cant put in the same level of training that manny pacquiao can. you have to become elite before you can train like an elite.

in boxing, you can kind of take a round off. can you possibly take a round off against brock lesnar? carwin thought that **** would finish brock, and rightfully so. carwin may need more cardio, or maybe he just needs a more conservative game plan. regardless, i bet carwin trained his ass off for this fight, and i bet brock did too. i bet you both of them put in some phenomenally hard work in the gym.

but what ever you want to say about MMA - regardless if you enjoy the sport or think it is lame - dont disgrace MMA guys by saying they dont train as hard as boxers do. those guys put the work in the gym too. the sports are different, the cardio is different, every fight is ****ing different. don't try and take away someones hard work just cause you dont like MMA. i respect any athlete who trains seriously, and almost every professional MMA fighter worth mentioning trains seriously - and if they dont they usually get their ass beat.

some of you MMA haters are ****ing pathetic. you guys are completely blind and 99% of the people on this forum dont have a ****ing clue about what a hard day of training is. go into a real, respectable MMA gym and spend a week there. i bet you get your ass whipped several times, and i bet they have you train hard as ****. then i bet you come back singing a different tune.

Sn1
07-04-2010, 09:30 PM
+1 ^^

Kakutogi-Gumi
07-04-2010, 09:38 PM

Try holding down a Big 10 wrestler for 15mins.

AKATheMack
07-05-2010, 12:44 AM
Try holding down a Big 10 wrestler for 15mins.

Are rounds 15mins each?

kenso
07-05-2010, 01:00 AM
Are rounds 15mins each?

im assuming/hoping that he means *most* MMA fights are 3, 5 min rounds - totalling 15 mins. however it isn't relevant to the lesnar-carwin fight, because it was a title fight totalling 25 mins.

regardless, wrestling is VERY tiring, but so is fighting in general.

American_Ninja
07-05-2010, 01:15 AM
One thing I've noticed about MMA fighters is the lack of conditioning. Especially watching the Ultimate fighter reality series, none of these guys seem to have cardio, after one takedown both fighters are gassed.
You are an idiot. BPP ban this alt.

Prince Boateng
07-05-2010, 01:51 AM
Sorry bro for hurting your feelings but its tru, just watch any fight from the Ultimate Fighter, both guys can't fight after round one cuz they are so gassed.

Virgil Caine
07-05-2010, 02:02 AM
obviously you guys have never wrestled before. dude i can box pretty good for about 6 rounds or so, and ive never had any real training outside of casual weight lifting and bag hitting. one round of wrestling though is WAY more tiring. go outside and wrestle with your friends - then talk **** about how boxing is harder than MMA.

to say MMA guys dont train as hard as boxers is ****ing stupid. those ultimate fighter guys are not examples of how elite level MMA guys train. those are dudes off of the street, they can't put in the same kind of training that guys like GSP can. just like i cant put in the same level of training that manny pacquiao can. you have to become elite before you can train like an elite.

in boxing, you can kind of take a round off. can you possibly take a round off against brock lesnar? carwin thought that **** would finish brock, and rightfully so. carwin may need more cardio, or maybe he just needs a more conservative game plan. regardless, i bet carwin trained his ass off for this fight, and i bet brock did too. i bet you both of them put in some phenomenally hard work in the gym.

but what ever you want to say about MMA - regardless if you enjoy the sport or think it is lame - dont disgrace MMA guys by saying they dont train as hard as boxers do. those guys put the work in the gym too. the sports are different, the cardio is different, every fight is ****ing different. don't try and take away someones hard work just cause you dont like MMA. i respect any athlete who trains seriously, and almost every professional MMA fighter worth mentioning trains seriously - and if they dont they usually get their ass beat.

some of you MMA haters are ****ing pathetic. you guys are completely blind and 99% of the people on this forum dont have a ****ing clue about what a hard day of training is. go into a real, respectable MMA gym and spend a week there. i bet you get your ass whipped several times, and i bet they have you train hard as ****. then i bet you come back singing a different tune.

It's also a case of conditioning in large part as well. Boxing and wrestling use different muscles and require different types of endurance and conditioning. I agree that overall wrestling is possibly the more grueling, but throwing punches can obviously take it out of you as well. I think that for the boxer, wrestling would be more grueling, whereas for the wrestler, it is just as easy to gas throwing punches. You say in boxing you can take a round off, but that takes composure; in wrestling, it is also possible to chestplay with energy to an extent, which takes composure as well. Boxing is perhaps more aerobic in nature as compared to wrestling; wrestling requires more core strength and short bursts of power I would say. The way I see it, both sports are tough as hell and I find it hard to compare them really. They're just really quite different. I agree that it's stupid to say boxing is tougher or boxers train harder, etc. By the same token, Carwin gassed himself by throwing punches not by wrestling.

PopoFreitas
07-05-2010, 02:11 AM
Sorry bro for hurting your feelings but its tru, just watch any fight from the Ultimate Fighter, both guys can't fight after round one cuz they are so gassed.
You watch TUF? lol

It's a reality show and most of the time they chose the fighters more based on their personality than on their fighting skill. Mostly newbies and amateurs..

Gonna post what David Haye (boxer) said about how tiresome grappling then you people may understand the difference between boxing and MMA

“Six months of training isn’t going to be enough,” Haye said. “As a UFC fan, I know two or three years wouldn’t be enough. How many times has Toney sprawled in his life? 500? How many leg kicks has he taken in his life? 300? How many Kimura attempts has he defended? 140? Even if he’s done double that amount, he wouldn’t have nearly the experience needed to win a UFC fight.”

Haye said Toney would be best off if he lands his punches early, because if he’s not finished after grappling with Couture on the ground, he’s going to be surprised by how beaten up and heavy his arms feel.

“I know from training in MMA myself that the wrestling aspect ruins your punching power,” Haye said. “After a minute of grappling, your arms, back and shoulders fill with blood and even if you then find space to throw punches, your power is suddenly crap.

“And I hit a lot harder and I’m so much faster than James, and I couldn’t land a punch on fighters when all they wanted to do was take me down to the ground. James is a much more static fighter than I am, and is going to get thrown on his back immediately by Randy.

Jack3d
07-05-2010, 02:16 AM
you could tell these guys dont train like the elite boxers do......

Throwing 100 punches per round is not as demanding as what the average MMA fighter has to deal with in a fight.

Not even close.

The Heavyweights for the most part always have ****ty conditioning, both boxing and in MMA.

Check_hooks
07-05-2010, 02:28 AM
This fight was rigged, Lesnar got paid 400,000 and Carwin only got 40,000 and Carwin was the interim champ

The UFC is a freakin joke like WWF and WCW

Have you ever seen a heavyweight boxing world title fight when a fighter gets gassed after the first round? MMA isnt a sport its a joke

Rocky...
07-05-2010, 06:05 AM

Well said :fing02:

monaroCountry
07-05-2010, 06:39 AM
Nah these UFC guys look big and imposing, its basically for marketing reasons, WWE fans love this type of thing and actually think that a big buff guy can steam roll over everyone. Guys like Brock and Carwin (and even Overeem and Rogers) hasnt really been tested. MMA conditioning is definately nowhere near as good as boxers.

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/5431/lesnarvcarwin.jpg

venom1
07-05-2010, 06:48 AM
not really he just punched himself out too much and thats what happens when ur fights dont go past 1st 2 minutes, you don't know what to do. Anyone other than Brock would have been brutally ko'd though props to him.

venom1
07-05-2010, 06:50 AM
Nah these UFC guys look big and imposing, its basically for marketing reasons, WWE fans love this type of thing and actually think that a big buff guy can steam roll over everyone. Guys like Brock and Carwin (and even Overeem and Rogers) hasnt really been tested. MMA conditioning is definately nowhere near as good as boxers.

what an anal statement, boxing your on your bike for 12 rounds, mma you do everything

Virgil Caine
07-05-2010, 07:09 AM
This fight was rigged, Lesnar got paid 400,000 and Carwin only got 40,000 and Carwin was the interim champ

The UFC is a freakin joke like WWF and WCW

Have you ever seen a heavyweight boxing world title fight when a fighter gets gassed after the first round? MMA isnt a sport its a joke

How bout Shannon Briggs throwing 12 punches per round.

Virgil Caine
07-05-2010, 07:13 AM

I don't see how you can take either of those four guys as a measuring stick of MMA conditioning. This fight said nothing about so-called "MMA conditioning." All it said about conditioning is that muscly 300 pound guys burn out quickly, as if this was something that anybody didn't already know.

neoz
07-05-2010, 07:32 AM
I enjoy boxing as much as mma.
You tools who say mma fighter have no conditioning need to wake up to yourselves.

Obviously you are comparing apples to oranges so STFU.

monaroCountry
07-05-2010, 09:26 AM
I don't see how you can take either of those four guys as a measuring stick of MMA conditioning. This fight said nothing about so-called "MMA conditioning." All it said about conditioning is that muscly 300 pound guys burn out quickly, as if this was something that anybody didn't already know.

These two guys were billed as the best HW fighters in MMA. You should at least expect them to last more than 1 fricken round in a 5 round fight.

Its like watching a 1000m Olympic swimming event and the swimmers can only last for the first 100m. Or watching a 400m track and field event where the runners gas out after 50m. I could understand it for new fighters but not any top 10 fighter IN THE WORLD, its simply pathetic.

#1Assassin
07-05-2010, 10:04 AM

if u dont have any real boxing training your not boxing the right way. u could very well still be right as far as the point your trying to make, wrestling could very well be more grueling. but u cant base that on your experience with boxing since you cant box. u probably boxed at a very slow pace since u didnt know how to box, boxing for 6 rounds at a low pace isnt as challenging as 1 round at a high pace eighter. nobody can box 6 rounds with good form and at a solid pace without having trained specificly for boxing. im guessing u did neighter.

i agree guys from mma obviously work hard, but i dont think they are as dedicated as boxers. most guys in mma drink, and are open about it. only a few world class fighters drink and they get lots of critisism for it, meanwhile in mma its largely accepted.

i personally believe boxers are better conditioned athletes than mma guys, thats not saying mma guys are not well conditioned or that i dont respect their hard work, just that boxers are better. not just better than mma guys eighter, better than any athlete.

where i train we have mma next door, most of the coaches are from wrestling and bjj. those guys often come to our gym to use our boxing equipmnet and they are not anywhere near the shape us boxers are in. and these are some of the best mma guys in the country (sweden), some of the guys who worked out right next to me preparing for fights have been in huge events (in sweden) on TV competing in mma. im an amateur boxer who never competed with the best in the nation and my conditioning is just as good if not better than those mma guys conditioning. and thats weeks before their big fights with me just being in average shape with no set fight in the future.

Blair_Wells#32
07-05-2010, 10:44 AM
I'm going to admit im like the Kimbo Fighter i've only had Street Fighter experience, i don't know how a body would Seize up' i'll ask you more experienced Fighers does that Affect a Performance?

kenso
07-05-2010, 02:05 PM
if u dont have any real boxing training your not boxing the right way. u could very well still be right as far as the point your trying to make, wrestling could very well be more grueling. but u cant base that on your experience with boxing since you cant box. u probably boxed at a very slow pace since u didnt know how to box, boxing for 6 rounds at a low pace isnt as challenging as 1 round at a high pace eighter. nobody can box 6 rounds with good form and at a solid pace without having trained specificly for boxing. im guessing u did neighter.

i've got a 200 lb bag i've hit on for a few years. i spar with friends. just cause i don't have a coach doesn't mean i can't get in shape. i watch enough boxing to know what a solid pace is. i can't keep pace with someone who lives for sport obviously - but i mean, its just not that ridiculous to spar about 6 rounds for someone who has done regular training for a while. i get most of my cardio from weight lifting anyway. alot of people talk **** on lifters saying they have no cardio - but looking at it scientifically or what not, weight lifting IS cardio. All training improves cardio vascular fitness really.

maybe your gym is much more fit than the MMA gym next to you, but there are cases that are just the opposite i am sure.

what ever though, i mean you can think what you want it doesn't matter. i am off the topic of MMA vs boxing with this response - i am just talking about training in general. you dont have to have to be a member of some gym, or have a trainer to get some real results out of your training.

kenso
07-05-2010, 02:12 PM
These two guys were billed as the best HW fighters in MMA. You should at least expect them to last more than 1 fricken round in a 5 round fight.

Its like watching a 1000m Olympic swimming event and the swimmers can only last for the first 100m. Or watching a 400m track and field event where the runners gas out after 50m. I could understand it for new fighters but not any top 10 fighter IN THE WORLD, its simply pathetic.

you are ****ing stupid. swimmers and olympic guys know EXACTLY what they are training for. they can do hundreds of 1000m swims in practice before the actual event. but can brock lesnar meet up with shane carwin in training camp and see what he is going to do when the actual fight comes up?

dude shane carwin let everything he had out in the first round. i don't care who you are - if you are 265+ pounds, and you go completely all out, you are going to get tired. carwins cardio prob wasn't the problem, the problem was likely that he made a rookie mistake and didn't pace himself.

what about in pride where they had a 10 minute first round? dude TEN MINUTES! in MMA that is... ridiculous! i don't care who says what - if you can't complement someones cardio for that - you might as tag yourself as one of the dumbest people alive.

Virgil Caine
07-05-2010, 02:16 PM
i've got a 200 lb bag i've hit on for a few years. i spar with friends. just cause i don't have a coach doesn't mean i can't get in shape. i watch enough boxing to know what a solid pace is. i can't keep pace with someone who lives for sport obviously - but i mean, its just not that ridiculous to spar about 6 rounds for someone who has done regular training for a while. i get most of my cardio from weight lifting anyway. alot of people talk **** on lifters saying they have no cardio - but looking at it scientifically or what not, weight lifting IS cardio. All training improves cardio vascular fitness really.

maybe your gym is much more fit than the MMA gym next to you, but there are cases that are just the opposite i am sure.

what ever though, i mean you can think what you want it doesn't matter. i am off the topic of MMA vs boxing with this response - i am just talking about training in general. you dont have to have to be a member of some gym, or have a trainer to get some real results out of your training.

With all due respect, I've boxed drunk guys at parties back to back to back to back to back, and it doesn't compare to actually boxing competitively whatsoever. I was at a party where they literally had a boxing ring, bands, hundreds of people, etc. and I boxed no less than 6 or 7 guys in the span of a couple hours. I don't even remember all of the fights, but I had tape on it. I've also boxed competitively (subsequently), and it doesn't compare in the least.

kenso
07-05-2010, 02:50 PM
With all due respect, I've boxed drunk guys at parties back to back to back to back to back, and it doesn't compare to actually boxing competitively whatsoever. I was at a party where they literally had a boxing ring, bands, hundreds of people, etc. and I boxed no less than 6 or 7 guys in the span of a couple hours. I don't even remember all of the fights, but I had tape on it. I've also boxed competitively (subsequently), and it doesn't compare in the least.

yea i realize its much more tiring boxing someone who knows what they are doing. my points are probably a bit null since i've never boxed and actual boxer or wrestled an actual wrestler. your post earlier was pretty spot on as well i just didnt quote you.

point im trying to make i guess is, wrestling, MMA, boxing, etc... they can all be equally demanding, its just retarded to see guys discrediting serious athletes because they simply dont like MMA taking any steam from boxing.