View Full Version : List Your Top 30 Greatest Heavyweights (176+ Unlimited Weight) Of All Time

Ziggy Stardust
06-30-2010, 10:47 AM
This is for the LEGITIMATE boxing efficinados (ie. all the people Frankenfrank put on ignore); and unlike his thread there is no cherry picking based on weight obsession, current era worshipping, and nuthugging of Eastern-Euro fighters. List them Gentleman! I know you can come up with a better list :cool9:

Poet

Vadrigar.
06-30-2010, 10:50 AM
The phoney thread has now been crushed!

Ziggy Stardust
06-30-2010, 10:53 AM
The phoney thread has now been crushed!

And the beauty of it is, just like he's blocking people from HIS thread he's blocked from this one :grin9:

Poet

Vadrigar.
06-30-2010, 10:56 AM
And the beauty of it is, just like he's blocking people from HIS thread he's blocked from this one :grin9:

Poet

ahh nice move. We need to seal the woodwork so no more trolls can creep out. :D

Ziggy Stardust
06-30-2010, 10:57 AM
ahh nice move. We need to seal the woodwork so no more trolls can creep out.

None of the trolls listed in my sig can post in here :grin9:

Poet

Ziggy Stardust
06-30-2010, 11:17 AM
For the record, here's my own list:

1-12

01. Muhammad Ali
02. Joe Louis
03. Jack Johnson
04. Jack Dempsey
05. Larry Holmes
06. Sonny Liston
07. Evander Holyfield
08. George Foreman
09. Rocky Marciano
10. Mike Tyson
11. Joe Frazier
12. Harry Wills

13-30 (in no particular order)

Max Baer
Riddick Bowe
James Corbett
George Godfrey
Peter Jackson
Joe Jeannette
James Jeffries
Vitali Klitschko
Lennox Lewis
Sam McVey
Billy Miske
Ken Norton
Floyd Patterson
Max Schmeling
Earnie Shavers
John L. Sullivan
David Tua
Jersey Joe Walcott

Vadrigar.
06-30-2010, 11:21 AM

1-12

01. Muhammad Ali
02. Joe Louis
03. Jack Johnson
04. Jack Dempsey
05. Larry Holmes
06. Sonny Liston
07. Evander Holyfield
08. George Foreman
09. Rocky Marciano
10. Mike Tyson
11. Joe Frazier
12. Harry Wills

Max Baer
Riddick Bowe
James Corbett
George Godfrey
Peter Jackson
Joe Jeannette
James Jeffries
Vitali Klitschko
Lennox Lewis
Sam McVey
Billy Miske
Ken Norton
Floyd Patterson
Max Schmeling
Earnie Shavers
John L. Sullivan
David Tua
Jersey Joe Walcott

Great list. I find it interesting you put Liston ahead of Frazier. I think Frazier is greater because he beat Muhammad ALi, whereas Liston lost to him twice.

What do you think?

righthook10
06-30-2010, 11:21 AM

1-12

01. Muhammad Ali
02. Joe Louis
03. Jack Johnson
04. Jack Dempsey
05. Larry Holmes
06. Sonny Liston
07. Evander Holyfield
08. George Foreman
09. Rocky Marciano
10. Mike Tyson
11. Joe Frazier
12. Harry Wills

Max Baer
Riddick Bowe
James Corbett
George Godfrey
Peter Jackson
Joe Jeannette
James Jeffries
Vitali Klitschko
Lennox Lewis
Sam McVey
Billy Miske
Ken Norton
Floyd Patterson
Max Schmeling
Earnie Shavers
John L. Sullivan
David Tua
Jersey Joe Walcott

How come you have Wills, Jeannette and McVey, but no Langford?

Ziggy Stardust
06-30-2010, 11:27 AM
Great list. I find it interesting you put Liston ahead of Frazier. I think Frazier is greater because he beat Muhammad ALi, whereas Liston lost to him twice.

What do you think?

I figure that prime for prime Liston was the better fighter. The actual IRL fights unfortunately weren't prime on prime matchups: Liston was past-prime against Ali and Ali was past-prime against Frazier. It makes a difference. That being said, Frazier's effort in the first fight with Ali was truly one of those special performances: It would have been VERY difficult (though not impossible) for any ATG Heavyweight to beat Frazier that night; and when you consider that a past-prime Ali STILL beats most in-prime ATGs it puts it into perspective. It was one of those special performances that we get to see maybe once a decade.

Poet

Ziggy Stardust
06-30-2010, 11:28 AM
How come you have Wills, Jeannette and McVey, but no Langford?

I only rank fighters in one weight class and I have Langford at Middleweight.

Poet

righthook10
06-30-2010, 11:37 AM
I only rank fighters in one weight class and I have Langford at Middleweight.

Poet

Ah, okay. Fair enough. In that case, your list seems pretty good. I personally don't have a list, but I enjoy seeing others'.

I read the other thread that you were talking about in your opening post. The guy that made it had Klitschko as #1 and McCall and Tua somewhere in the top 10. I couldn't believe it.

Ziggy Stardust
06-30-2010, 11:39 AM
Ah, okay. Fair enough. In that case, your list seems pretty good. I personally don't have a list, but I enjoy seeing others'.

I read the other thread that you were talking about in your opening post. The guy that made it had Klitschko as #1 and McCall and Tua somewhere in the top 10. I couldn't believe it.

He's what I call a "size whore". He's so hung up on weight and height that it's practically his only consideration when ranking Heavyweights.

Poet

Vadrigar.
06-30-2010, 11:41 AM
He's what I call a "size whore". He's so hung up on weight and height that it's practically his only consideration when ranking Heavyweights.

Poet

My current top 10 heavies (superheavies) :
1. Vitali Klitschko
2. George Foreman
3. Mike Tyson
4. Muhammad Ali
5. Lennox Lewis
6. Larry Holmes
7. Wladimir Klitschko
8. Oliver McCall
9. David Tua
10. Evander Holyfield

:lol1::lol1::lol1:

found this quite funny among other things on that list...........

Ziggy Stardust
06-30-2010, 11:45 AM
:lol1::lol1::lol1:

found this quite funny among other things on that list...........

Yeah, a few months ago he was claiming Foreman was drugged for the Ali fight and now he's on about the ropes. He carefully omits the fact that the fight was fought in a 16 foot phone booth (a HUGE advantage for Foreman) and that the ring had very heavy padding under the canvas (putting a mover at a SEVER disadvantage) :hahahaha9:

Poet

SBleeder
06-30-2010, 12:04 PM
1. Oliver McCall
2. Nikolay Valuev
3. Trevor Berbick
4. George Foreman
5. Jimmy Ellis
6. Leon Spinks
7. Rudi Lubbers
8. Oliver McCall again
9. Muhammad Ali
10. Hector Mercedes
11. Mike Tyson
12. Gentleman Jim Corbett
13. Gentleman Joe Louis
14. Floyd Patterson
15. Gentleman Sonny Liston
16. Eric Esch
17. Evander Holydeal
18. Eddie Futch
19. Joe Frazier
20. Vitali Klitschko

McCall tops my list for two reasons. First, Frankenfrank had him in his top ten and that's good enough for me. Second, it takes a real man to cry in a boxing ring.

BigStereotype
06-30-2010, 01:14 PM

1-12

01. Muhammad Ali
02. Joe Louis
03. Jack Johnson
04. Jack Dempsey
05. Larry Holmes
06. Sonny Liston
07. Evander Holyfield
08. George Foreman
09. Rocky Marciano
10. Mike Tyson
11. Joe Frazier
12. Harry Wills

Max Baer
Riddick Bowe
James Corbett
George Godfrey
Peter Jackson
Joe Jeannette
James Jeffries
Vitali Klitschko
Lennox Lewis
Sam McVey
Billy Miske
Ken Norton
Floyd Patterson
Max Schmeling
Earnie Shavers
John L. Sullivan
David Tua
Jersey Joe Walcott

Overall, a good list. I have a few quibbles - I'd have Dempsey lower, Foreman higher, stuff like that. But I am really surprised that you have Tua up there. He's got a few decent wins, destroying Ruiz and stopping Rahman, but overall not a great resume. Slow, one-handed fighter. Incredible, incredible power, but I don't really see what he's done to be a top 30 heavyweight.

Ziggy Stardust
06-30-2010, 01:17 PM
Overall, a good list. I have a few quibbles - I'd have Dempsey lower, Foreman higher, stuff like that. But I am really surprised that you have Tua up there. He's got a few decent wins, destroying Ruiz and stopping Rahman, but overall not a great resume. Slow, one-handed fighter. Incredible, incredible power, but I don't really see what he's done to be a top 30 heavyweight.

I would point out that only my top-12 would I consider legitimate ATG Heavyweights. The bottom 18 are what I would regard as "near-greats".

Poet

BigStereotype
06-30-2010, 01:19 PM
I would point out that only my top-12 would I consider legitimate ATG Heavyweights. The bottom 18 are what I would regard as "near-greats".

Poet

Ok, that's fair. I really looked at 1-12 and then sort of glanced over 13-30 and now that I'm giving it a second look, he fits in with the names a little better. I'd say he's near the bottom of that list, though.

Vadrigar.
07-01-2010, 06:41 AM
I figure that prime for prime Liston was the better fighter. The actual IRL fights unfortunately weren't prime on prime matchups: Liston was past-prime against Ali and Ali was past-prime against Frazier. It makes a difference. That being said, Frazier's effort in the first fight with Ali was truly one of those special performances: It would have been VERY difficult (though not impossible) for any ATG Heavyweight to beat Frazier that night; and when you consider that a past-prime Ali STILL beats most in-prime ATGs it puts it into perspective. It was one of those special performances that we get to see maybe once a decade.

Poet

Yeah ok, fair enough.

sonnyboyx2
07-01-2010, 06:58 AM

1-12

01. Muhammad Ali
02. Joe Louis
03. Jack Johnson
04. Jack Dempsey
05. Larry Holmes
06. Sonny Liston
07. Evander Holyfield
08. George Foreman
09. Rocky Marciano
10. Mike Tyson
11. Joe Frazier
12. Harry Wills

Max Baer
Riddick Bowe
James Corbett
George Godfrey
Peter Jackson
Joe Jeannette
James Jeffries
Vitali Klitschko
Lennox Lewis
Sam McVey
Billy Miske
Ken Norton
Floyd Patterson
Max Schmeling
Earnie Shavers
John L. Sullivan
David Tua
Jersey Joe Walcott

i can live with this list with the exception of David Tua & Earnie Shavers who were IMO just contenders like say Quarry, Lyle, Chuvalo & Bonavena was yet i would take those 4 guys to defeat both of them due to their "Granite-chin" and superior ability.

Vadrigar.
07-02-2010, 05:34 AM
i can live with this list with the exception of David Tua & Earnie Shavers who were IMO just contenders like say Quarry, Lyle, Chuvalo & Bonavena was yet i would take those 4 guys to defeat both of them due to their "Granite-chin" and superior ability.

Yes, I wouldn't put Tua on that list.

Ziggy Stardust
07-05-2010, 09:00 AM
Yes, I wouldn't put Tua on that list.

The problem is once you start getting past 20-25 the pickings get mighty slim :)

Poet

The Iron Man
07-05-2010, 09:04 AM
The problem is once you start getting past 20-25 the pickings get mighty slim :)

Poet

If we are talking about the best heavies who never held the title, the guy in my avatar deserves a shout!