View Full Version : [HOLY S**T!] MMA Fighter Dies from fight....

RavshinRicRude
06-28-2010, 06:28 PM
Not sure what happened to the thread I saw this in my guess it got tossed since they put it up in the wrong lang.......any how...yeah this kid died...and yes he was 6'9 and a light weigt http://photos3.meetupstatic.com/photos/member/a/c/1/thumb_6062753.jpeg.....go figure........

http://sports.espn.go.com/extra/mma/news/story?id=5337461

Double Jab
06-28-2010, 06:45 PM
Sad day. Poor guy and his family, I feel terrible for them.

And at the risk of sounding callous (which I am trying not to), I really hope anti-mma legislators or even boxing promoters for that matter dont use this against the growing sport.

RavshinRicRude
06-28-2010, 06:49 PM

And at the risk of sounding callous (which I am trying not to), I really hope anti-mma legislators or even boxing promoters for that matter dont use this against the growing sport.

In the original thread (which I was still trying to find so I could give credit to the dude that posted it first) there were these dudes talkin' smak about how Unsafe the sport and this and that.....boxing fans were posting that mind you.......they just haters of MMA.....but bottom line that goes to show you uneducated people in the sport will call out for stupid things like that....just like people do with boxing when a tragedy happens....

thought are with his fam though no lie...RIP

Kakutogi-Gumi
06-28-2010, 06:54 PM
Please. No speculation until a little more evidence is shared.

Let's wait a bit.

More here.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/6/28/1541802/rookie-fighter-michael-kirkham

Double Jab
06-28-2010, 07:07 PM

Let's wait a bit.

More here.

There is no speculation here, its just a bother to think that most Lawmakers will think in this process.

MMA = dangerous

Death = dangerous

MMA = DEATH OMGZORZ BAN MMA FROM ALL CITIES!!

Then fans of a different style of violence will be stuck with the vulcan pinch on our nutsacks. And nobody wants that except for Spock, but that would be illogical.

RavshinRicRude
06-28-2010, 07:13 PM

Let's wait a bit.

More here.

Speculation bout what exactly???

futureofboxing
06-28-2010, 07:27 PM
I was the one who posted this story first and was talking about how brutal MMA was. These athletes are going to have terrible lives after they are done with their careers. In boxing, we already know what it can do to you just look at Roger Mayweather and how many punch drunk former boxers there are. But my point is Dana White is always going on about how safe it is and stating "we have never had a serious injury." Really how many severe concussions have there been Bisping first comes to mind being knocked out of this world against Henderson.

John Frusciante
06-28-2010, 07:46 PM
I was the one who posted this story first and was talking about how brutal MMA was. These athletes are going to have terrible lives after they are done with their careers. In boxing, we already know what it can do to you just look at Roger Mayweather and how many punch drunk former boxers there are. But my point is Dana White is always going on about how safe it is and stating "we have never had a serious injury." Really how many severe concussions have there been Bisping first comes to mind being knocked out of this world against Henderson.

Getting your head pounded by punches constantly for 12 rounds is much worse for you than simply getting knocked out and getting a concussion.

RavshinRicRude
06-28-2010, 07:51 PM

Dude so what happened to your first post???

Sn1
06-28-2010, 08:00 PM
his opponent went for double leg takedown, headbutted him in the balls and he had to be stretchered off, but he was too tall and they couldnt get him down the stairs, so they had to amputate his legs and he died due to complications.

M Deezy
06-28-2010, 08:08 PM
that sucks poor guy. i do hate when people try to use these kind of thing to show that mma is too dangerous tho. when they know for a fact way more people die on avg from the boxing ring than mma. yet its the boxing fans that use the excuse that mma is more violent. Fact is you get hit in the head way more and much harder in boxing than mma.

RavshinRicRude
06-28-2010, 08:20 PM
that sucks poor guy. i do hate when people try to use these kind of thing to show that mma is too dangerous tho. when they know for a fact way more people die on avg from the boxing ring than mma. yet its the boxing fans that use the excuse that mma is more violent. Fact is you get hit in the head way more and much harder in boxing than mma.

Fact is both sports are hard on the head....so is football.......bottom line it is what it is......both sports are dangerous and they everyone knows what they are getting into........everyone in the sport is a consenting participant and adults.....I fell horrible for these kats and their fams but this aint valet you know waddaI mean???

Anthony342
06-28-2010, 09:14 PM
Have there even been a lot of deaths in MMA? This is the first one I've heard of, so that's why I was wondering. And there have been a lot of deaths in boxing, so why would boxing fans complain about how dangerous MMA is?

MetalVomit
06-28-2010, 10:34 PM
sad story, dude shouldnt have been starving himself.

Kakutogi-Gumi
06-29-2010, 12:48 AM
Speculation bout what exactly???

CoD.

Let the coroner do his work.

Kakutogi-Gumi
06-29-2010, 12:52 AM
Have there even been a lot of deaths in MMA? This is the first one I've heard of, so that's why I was wondering. And there have been a lot of deaths in boxing, so why would boxing fans complain about how dangerous MMA is?

Technically four, officially this is the second.

Everybody is waiting for an investigation to see if the SC AC actually did a competent job or not.

snakey112
06-29-2010, 07:02 AM
a 6'9'' lightweight? that's 5 inches taller than corey hill, I wonder how much weight he had to cut, cutting so much fluid could definitely hinder your brain's ability to take blows

edit: I've heard from people who were there that he got struck in the back of the head with 8 unanswered blows before the referee stepped in, if this is true then it sounds like a case of dodgy referreeing more than anything else...

MARKBNLV
06-29-2010, 07:31 AM
Getting your head pounded by punches constantly for 12 rounds is much worse for you than simply getting knocked out and getting a concussion.

I agree to a point,i would like to see in the future what the effects of being choked unconcious are **** has to cause some brain damage.

Virgil Caine
06-29-2010, 10:37 AM
I agree to a point,i would like to see in the future what the effects of being choked unconcious are **** has to cause some brain damage.

It happens in judo all the time.

RavshinRicRude
06-29-2010, 01:42 PM

Most def....that **** can't be good for you no lie........

Anthony342
06-29-2010, 08:13 PM
Technically four, officially this is the second.

Everybody is waiting for an investigation to see if the SC AC actually did a competent job or not.

So who are the other 3 guys that died in MMA?

AKATheMack
06-29-2010, 10:20 PM
Tragic. Those of you who are acting like this doesnt prove that MMA is violent are ignorant. Everybody knows both boxing and MMA are dangerous thats never been in question so quit preaching.

▀ringer
06-29-2010, 10:41 PM

Don't be surprised if they do.

All you need to do is look at the history of boxing, and they way Politicians have used in ring deaths, or death from fight related injuries to try to ban the sport - time and time again, throughout the years.

It seems like it's cooled down in recent years - as I didn't hear much (if any) outcry when Leavander Johnson and others like him in recent years died from boxing related injuries.

Boxing is old, it's history in the World of Sport has been cemented for over 100 years now, so when a boxer dies, people don't really even notice anymore.

But MMA is a relatively "new" sport, at least "new" to the general public, anyway.

So you should expect a variety of kneejerk reactions from self-righteous Political types over things like these related to MMA over the next decade or so.

blaze778
06-29-2010, 11:10 PM
a 6'9'' lightweight? that's 5 inches taller than corey hill, I wonder how much weight he had to cut, cutting so much fluid could definitely hinder your brain's ability to take blows

edit: I've heard from people who were there that he got struck in the back of the head with 8 unanswered blows before the referee stepped in, if this is true then it sounds like a case of dodgy referreeing more than anything else...

You beat me too it. I was gonna mention mention the weight cutting part. 6'9" and cutting to 155 lb. Even 6' 9" MMA heavyweights look a little thin (except Tim Sylvia).

Either way, I feel for the guy, but more so for his family. I never want to see fighters die, boxing or MMA, but these guys know the risks involved more than we do. That's why it will be so much harder for his family and loved ones to comprehend. This guy never had a chance to enjoy his career. Never heard of the guy, but that's besides the point? Fighters of all sports deserve the utmost respect for risking their lives to make a living and entertain us. Rest in peace Michael Kirkham.

I AM NO AUTHROITY, BUT I HOPE PEOPLE WON'T BE CYNICAL AND TURN THIS INTO ANOTHER TIRED BOXING VS. MMA THREAD.

-Swizzy-
06-30-2010, 12:14 AM
I don't know whats the bigger news, the fact that he died, or that he was a 6'9 lightweight. How the fuk was he alive in the first place with that kind of physique? that is extraordinary.

Verstyle
06-30-2010, 12:27 AM
Isn't MMA weight classes different? As in a lightweight is heavier then a boxing lightweight.

Run
06-30-2010, 12:34 AM
That's terrible and unfortunate, I feel for his family/friends.

But fighting is dangerous.

Virgil Caine
06-30-2010, 01:15 AM
Isn't MMA weight classes different? As in a lightweight is heavier then a boxing lightweight.
LW is 155 in MMA.

PopoFreitas
06-30-2010, 03:30 PM
what the effects of being choked unconcious are **** has to cause some brain damage.

lol...

it doesn't cause brain damage, dude. The brain can stay around 5 minutes without oxygen (blood flow) without incurring permanent brain damage. Depending on the climate and/or the how healthy the person was and/or his situation before being deprived of oxygen flow...

We have some cases of kids in frozen lakes and they survived without permanent brain damage after staying ~10 minutes in the lake...

FYI: you go to sleep after only 8-10 seconds in a RNC... Simply because your brain notices something is strange and it shut down the non-vital body functions to keep the vital functions working hehe..

Someone would need to hold the choke MINUTES after the fighter slept to cause permanent brain damage.

PS: I have been choked dozen of times since I started training. No big deal. I mean, sometimes I forget my name and stuff like that but who cares, right?

SkillspayBills
07-01-2010, 11:40 AM
This is the first death in MMA ever correct? They have a pretty good track record on that subject. Condolensces to the fighter's family though sad to hear.

Kakutogi-Gumi
07-01-2010, 12:57 PM
So who are the other 3 guys that died in MMA?

Doug Dedge, a Korean guy and Sam Vasquez.

The first two died as the result of pre existing conditions, sam died due to insufficient padding on the cage.

cupuzz
07-01-2010, 01:13 PM
is it real?????

RavshinRicRude
07-06-2010, 01:27 PM
is it real?????

is what real???