View Full Version : how to beat my sparring partner

cms
12-07-2004, 11:38 PM
ok my sparring partner is about 14 years older then me , hes the same weight if not like 5lbs above me , he has a stick jab and mostley throws hooks and uppercuts on the inside, im usually tired against him should i just run more? or should i work on head movement and working counters from a jab?

Fat Shamz
12-07-2004, 11:41 PM
ok my sparring partner is about 14 years older then me , hes the same weight if not like 5lbs above me , he has a stick jab and mostley throws hooks and uppercuts on the inside, im usually tired against him should i just run more? or should i work on head movement and working counters from a jab?

If i was you i wuld counter more often. Since you say he tries gettin in on the inside with hooks and uppercuts, i suggest you keep distance from him and as soon as he throws a jab, counter him with a straight punch. One question, why are you usually tired against him, if you get tired during the session then maybe u should change your gameplan all together. Try running circles around him giving him quick jabs here and there.

boxer2k5
12-08-2004, 12:23 AM
get your condition up ebfore you think about beating anyone

if your tired you wont be able to beat a fly

no matter how good you become if your condition is **** or your jsut tired agaisnt him then you need to fix that

read some of spinks old psot abou endurence and do that
do lots of skipping around the ring while holding the medicine ball above your head

try that for 3 or 4 3 minute rounds with 30 second breaks

then work the Heavy bag for another 3 or 4 3 minute rounds with 30 second breaks

jog for few laps then sprint a few laps

do some suicides

blockburna944
12-08-2004, 12:45 AM
How tall is he compared to you.

paulmmv
12-08-2004, 03:33 AM
try throwing him off if your right handed box like a lefty throw lots of jabs and let him be the aggresser and counter his punches and keep
going side to side

abdiel2k3
12-08-2004, 03:37 AM
hmmmmmmmmmm
lemme think
ok
i see
jab jab strait
noo?
ok
hook striat
nahh
wait i got it

TRY HITTING HIMM!!!

Mr. Violence
12-08-2004, 03:48 AM

use your jab more. a jab is used to throw off your opponents timing and rythym. if you stuff a jab in his face more you will throw off his rythym and keep him from getting on the inside on you.make sure you throw in combos behind the jab once in a while so you dont become predictable.

Hunna
12-08-2004, 04:24 AM
johnny Swift is right, use your jab. there's no real point in running, because your not there to run, your there to fite. Get your trainer or someone knowledgeable to teach you how to slip punches get inside, block n counter, and overhand jabs and right. Only when your in dire trouble and/or getting your footing set, should you keep on your toes away from your opponent. GOodluck with your boxing.

leff
12-08-2004, 01:16 PM
johnny Swift is right, use your jab. there's no real point in running, because your not there to run, your there to fite. Get your trainer or someone knowledgeable to teach you how to slip punches get inside, block n counter, and overhand jabs and right. Only when your in dire trouble and/or getting your footing set, should you keep on your toes away from your opponent. GOodluck with your boxing.

did you just say overhand jabb????

Fat Shamz
12-08-2004, 01:43 PM
Or work the guys body early in the session, jus keep givin him quick punches to the belly. this way he wont be willing to throw uppercuts and hooks cos of his condition. and after that lets just hope u have enough in u to take him. remember this guy is 14 years older than u. therefore he has 14 years more developed muscle than u maybe? :confused: so dont be too hard on urself. spar with someon of your own skill thats the best way to learn. i learnt that the hard way :mad:

cms
12-08-2004, 10:44 PM
How tall is he compared to you.
i am about 5'5 and he is about 5'7

THANK YOU ALL FOR THE ADVICE I SHALL TRY ALL OF THIS TOMMOROW

Raekwon
12-08-2004, 11:00 PM
if all that fails...

kick him in the nuts

cms
12-08-2004, 11:12 PM
if all that fails...

kick him in the nuts
^^^^^^^^^^^^lol

lapulapu
12-08-2004, 11:27 PM
Or work the guys body early in the session, jus keep givin him quick punches to the belly. this way he wont be willing to throw uppercuts and hooks cos of his condition. and after that lets just hope u have enough in u to take him. remember this guy is 14 years older than u. therefore he has 14 years more developed muscle than u maybe? :confused: so dont be too hard on urself. spar with someon of your own skill thats the best way to learn. i learnt that the hard way :mad:

Yeah I agree that sparring with an equal is the best way to learn. Must master all the moves first together with an equal. Taking risk later depends on one's seriousness.

boxer2k5
12-08-2004, 11:49 PM
im surprised im the only one who said this or at least noticed

he said he gets tired while fighting the guy
no matter what techniques you guys make up and give him
he will not win

if you dont get your condition up forget about beating this guy
dont even get back in the ring wiht him

take 2 weeks off sparring and run
jump rope
work on your condition

then try and get in the ring with him
you will last longer be able to focus more
then you can work on a stratgy
no matter what plan you have if your tired you will not be able to execute it properly
you will be weak have no focus and easy for him to whoop you

get your wind up

Fat Shamz
12-08-2004, 11:56 PM

he will not win

jump rope
work on your condition

no matter what plan you have if your tired you will not be able to execute it properly

get your wind up

you already sed that. thats true.

blockburna944
12-09-2004, 12:15 AM
A lot of people wind themselves with ineffective punches and extra movement. Some things to focus on are mixing power punches with soft punches. A light, quick punch counts as a hit just as much as power punch and can throw off an opponent's guard so its open for a harder punch. Also, constant running in the ring will get you tired. It takes practice, but owning the center spot in the ring will leave you with more energy than the other fighter.

rsl
12-09-2004, 12:40 AM
A lot of people wind themselves with ineffective punches and extra movement. Some things to focus on are mixing power punches with soft punches. A light, quick punch counts as a hit just as much as power punch and can throw off an opponent's guard so its open for a harder punch. Also, constant running in the ring will get you tired. It takes practice, but owning the center spot in the ring will leave you with more energy than the other fighter. Good post, I myself fell for the same tactics, I was all about powerpunching, but yeah just to reiterate what you said, it's a good idea to mix hard and light punches(you do end up conserving energy). I have a question, when you mentioned " owning the center spot in the ring" I interpreted that as boxing, as in moving in little circles in contrast to what DLH did the last 3 rounds in his fight w/ Trinidad, just wondering if that's what you meant, if not can you specify how to carryout this strategy of " owning the center"?

blockburna944
12-09-2004, 01:04 AM
rsl- yea thats pretty much what im saying. theres no real particular pattern to the movement, but if you keep the idea in the back of your mind of having your opponent closer to the ropes than you, then everything is to your advantage. For example, you have space to retreat from a charge, you can get your opponent against the ropes more often, and it generally requires less movement to get an advantageous position on the other fighter.

A lot of owning the center is accomplished by pivoting from your opponent's attacks so that you always turn toward the middle and getting a feel for holding off and being able to charge your opponent. Also, you can circle left or right depending on what the other fighter does to keep your position.

One good example of it would be Hagler when he fought Sugar Ray if you can find that fight.

rsl
12-09-2004, 01:09 AM
rsl- yea thats pretty much what im saying. theres no real particular pattern to the movement, but if you keep the idea in the back of your mind of having your opponent closer to the ropes than you, then everything is to your advantage. For example, you have space to retreat from a charge, you can get your opponent against the ropes more often, and it generally requires less movement to get an advantageous position on the other fighter.

A lot of owning the center is accomplished by pivoting from your opponent's attacks so that you always turn toward the middle and getting a feel for holding off and being able to charge your opponent. Also, you can circle left or right depending on what the other fighter does to keep your position.

One good example of it would be Hagler when he fought Sugar Ray if you can find that fight. Thanks, for clarifying and responding to my question.

blockburna944
12-09-2004, 01:15 AM
No problem

Hunna
12-09-2004, 07:11 AM
sorry, i was supposed to say " jab and overhand rights", my bad. :)

cms
12-09-2004, 07:19 PM

he will not win

jump rope
work on your condition

get your wind up

ok last time i was tired because i went 6 2 min rounds with him and hes been boxing since he was 18 and now hes 28 so yeah lol

leff
12-09-2004, 08:52 PM
sorry, i was supposed to say " jab and overhand rights", my bad. :)

lol, its all right.

cms
12-09-2004, 09:57 PM
well thanx for all your help again

boxer2k5
12-09-2004, 10:37 PM
ok last time i was tired because i went 6 2 min rounds with him and hes been boxing since he was 18 and now hes 28 so yeah lol

so your saying youw as tired of him beating on you and not ebcause of your conditioning

if you got beat that bad maybe you should jsut sotp sparring with him and go face someone on your level

i think the Heavy Bag should be a good match

andreyd
01-21-2005, 05:56 AM
lol, its all right.

andreyd
01-21-2005, 05:57 AM
its all right.

cms
01-21-2005, 10:11 AM
so your saying youw as tired of him beating on you and not ebcause of your conditioning

if you got beat that bad maybe you should jsut sotp sparring with him and go face someone on your level

i think the Heavy Bag should be a good match
whoa this topic is kinda old......but i sparred him monday beat him pretty good this time, i dodged i weaved and i caught him with good shots that shook his head up good

spinksjinx
01-21-2005, 10:12 AM
whoa this topic is kinda old......but i sparred him monday beat him pretty good this time, i dodged i weaved and i caught him with good shots that shook his head up good

Congratulations, keep up the work and crack some more corpses :)