View Full Version : How does one gain speed?

Fat Shamz
12-07-2004, 11:32 PM
Is there any ways to gain speed?
Not foot speed but punching speed.

paulmmv
12-08-2004, 03:35 AM
oh yeah by shadow boxing or hiting the bag

Raekwon
12-08-2004, 07:58 AM
bag work, do speed drills, use heavier gloves too i hear that helps u improve your speed, if u can start pickin speed up with heavier gloves when u use ur proper gloves ur hands will be flying

Fat Shamz
12-08-2004, 10:44 AM
bag work, do speed drills, use heavier gloves too i hear that helps u improve your speed, if u can start pickin speed up with heavier gloves when u use ur proper gloves ur hands will be flying

i know about the bad methods and the glove methods, i was wondering if there were any other methods that did not involve any gloves or bag work, jus normal excercies or sumthin.

Raekwon
12-08-2004, 11:29 AM
Push ups train the tricep, pecs, shoulders and bicep so they help i guess, speed in a punch comes from relaxed shoulders and quick hip movement, try swinging a baseball bat or something similar to that

you could try slowing down your punches... the slower punch go the smoother you can punch... the smoother u punch the quicker it becomes so technically slow makes smooth smoothness makes speed. (someone correct me if i am wrong but im sure i heard that before)

but as far as i know bag work etc is best way for speed

elveiel
12-08-2004, 02:01 PM
i know about the bad methods and the glove methods, i was wondering if there were any other methods that did not involve any gloves or bag work, jus normal excercies or sumthin.

At lot of people i coach(new to the sport) have this mental block when it comes to speed.

i tell them the jab a bag as fast as they can, then i tell push the bag(like an explosive double handed push) which they always do a lot faster. I ask them why they can push the bag faster than punching it? Its always because they are relaxed with a push until impact and with a punch they are too tense all the way through!

I always throw my punches relaxed and only tense up on impact, that way its fast and it still has the power.

I dont expect it to help you if your already a decent fighter, its normally the new guys who have this problem.

Atwa_66
12-08-2004, 08:36 PM
Shadow boxing is a good way, also try holding 1 lbs. weights and shadow boxing, heavier or lighter the weight still works, try wearing hand wraps and shadow boxing too. It's a little weight, but it should still work.

simeraksou
12-08-2004, 08:38 PM
Is there any ways to gain speed?
Not foot speed but punching speed.
when you throw the punch, don't tense up your muscles. relax when you punch, that'll make the punch faster

Hunna
12-10-2004, 01:29 AM
Theres so many things you can do to increase speed. A good coach will help you with that. Alot to do with technique, repitition and a good trainer. Try doing punching with hand weights, remember to screw your punches nice and loose, use ur hips and bounce off your toes.
Remember to do it with repitition, repitition allows your brain to become more in synch with your punch muslces, so to speak.

Hunna
12-10-2004, 01:30 AM
also, try to stay away from heavy weights, do medium, to light weights with high repitition to keep power, with speed.

Brotherfromthehoods
12-12-2004, 07:53 PM
i agree with that

maxpayne
12-12-2004, 10:18 PM
keep shadow boxing and when hitting the heavybag try hitting the bag 30 sec at your fastest speed then 30 sec at your regular speed then back to your fastest speed and so on. remember shadow boxing is one of the best ways to gain speed.

jack_the_rippuh
12-13-2004, 12:25 PM
When you're punching position yourself in a way that your punch gets delivered at it's fastest, but don't telegraph..

suetombo
12-16-2004, 08:36 PM
reduce the work on the heavy bag and shadow box more...and lose more bodyfat

andreyd
01-20-2005, 02:07 PM
shadow boxing is still a better way

Mr. Ryan
01-20-2005, 03:02 PM
Hand speed is something that takes a little while to acquire. I suggest shadow boxing, using the correct methods and form. That will acquaint you with the punches. Using the speed bag is also very important, it helps with the repitition and balance part, as well as speed.

leff
01-20-2005, 05:40 PM
Speed one off the things your born with and cant encrease much.

Still losing weight, being relaxed, lot off shadow to get the technic upp, do your strength exercises explosive and speed drills will help.

Dont use big gloves and shadow with weights will make you feel faster but it wont make you faster.

buff_mike10
01-28-2005, 02:17 AM
Make sure after lifting weights you stretch out good. Expecially after doing curls, hang off a pullup bar for at least 30 seconds after each set.

ShotgunSeanK
01-28-2005, 09:08 AM
try some punch-out drills on the heavybag, as seen on that rossboxing website. I've tried it a few times and it does seem to have increased the power and speed of my punches

Floydmayweather
02-02-2005, 01:12 AM
For me the bag has helped the most. At first i worked on short quick shoppy punches and the speed bag after that. Now i mix up my distance on the bag and do things like underwater form punching and punch out drills more. Just take your time it will come.

xrhythmxnxbluesx
02-02-2005, 03:26 AM
glove method works... or the dong bells.. like 5 pounds and just shadow box with those on... or go to the swimming pool... and shadow box there....

Eken
02-02-2005, 08:49 AM
Use heavier gloves and emphesize speed before power during practice.

Tha Greatest
02-03-2005, 01:50 AM
Plyometrics.........

Floydmayweather
02-03-2005, 02:23 AM
Plyometrics.........

No doubt plyometrics have helped me a ton.

Eken
02-03-2005, 04:32 AM
yep, plyometrics are god too

Raekwon
02-03-2005, 10:08 AM
work on a smooth effecient punch, take it slowly, slower punch = smooth punch = faster punch
if u get what i mean

Dark Destroyer
02-03-2005, 11:37 AM
Shadow boxing is definatly the key to speed in my opinion. I do it every day although i don't use weights on my hands.

Tha Greatest
02-05-2005, 08:33 PM
remember if u do plyometrics
u must have a weight foundation
and if you use wieghts properly u can increase speed
you have to get your body ready for thhe stress from plyometrics

and if you shadowbox with weights dont do it for more then 30 seconds if you want speed

3x20-30 seconds 1-3 pounds NO HEAVIER!!
and you must go FAST!! if you use heavy it will teach u to punch slow and your hands wont be faster they will feel faster but wont be faster

Slipx
02-09-2005, 09:52 PM
buy a snorkel
buy a pair of wrist weights
find a pool

shadowbox underwater until muscular fatigue then take off the weights and shadowbox underwater until muscular fatigue, do 5sets

roy jones' secret

edit: u will be sore the next day if you dont swim

Pugnacious_Z
02-17-2005, 02:36 AM
speed is a natural thing, u have it or not. but u can always imrpove.

Pugnacious_Z
02-17-2005, 02:41 AM
heavy weights the stuff