View Full Version : What protein powders do you drink?

Crazylegs77
06-22-2010, 11:29 PM
Used to drink SpiruTein but wanted to move away from soy

so just started trying MuscleMilk
and
Lifetime Life's Basics plant protein.

both pretty good kinda like the plant protein better also has about 200 less calories than mmilk.

Red_Kyubi
06-23-2010, 03:12 AM
I use Gaspari Myofusion.

Tastes amazing....high in protein 26g/scoop and i think about 4-5 grams of carbs. 157 calories. Great for a mid meal snack or for quick recover. One of my favorite shakes and the strawberry flavor tastes amazing, especially with cold soymilk/no fat milk.

dannnnn
06-23-2010, 09:54 AM
Syntrax Nectar WPI. 90 Calories per serving, 23g protein, 0 carbs/fat. All the flavours I've tried taste fine with water, I'd recommend it.

Bullrush
06-23-2010, 10:57 AM
optimum nutrition

(per serving)

protein: 25 grams
carbs: 1 gram
fat: 1 gram
calories: 120

caramel toffee fudge :bottle:

- v e t -
06-23-2010, 10:58 AM
Optimum Nutrition Pro Complex

:headbang:

BrooklynBomber
06-23-2010, 11:02 AM
Optimum nutrition.

Then gonna move onto Anaconda Protocol by Biotest.

*!#@PBRick@#!*
06-23-2010, 11:23 AM
Syntha-6...

- v e t -
06-23-2010, 11:32 AM
http://www.sfkmuscletech.com/optimum/images/pro-complex-facts.jpg

Othello
06-23-2010, 04:14 PM
Whey Delicious from XXL Nutrition. It's their own brand. It's fairly cheap, high quality, and like the name suggests, very tasty. And there's like 20 different flavors =)

Journeyman
06-23-2010, 08:40 PM
ON (optimum nutrition) whey protein powder after workout or as a supplement during the day... ON (optimum nutrition) caseine protein powder before sleep.

DempseyMarciano
06-24-2010, 07:28 PM
Brand names to avoid:

Optimum Nutrition
BSN
MuscleTech
Gaspari Nutrition
GNC Product line
MusclePharm

There's very good reasons to avoid these certain companies, ON in particular.

Jakutindi Wauya
06-24-2010, 07:56 PM
Brand names to avoid:

Optimum Nutrition
BSN
MuscleTech
Gaspari Nutrition
GNC Product line
MusclePharm

Why should we avoid these?

ƒallenloki
06-24-2010, 08:11 PM
Brand names to avoid:

Optimum Nutrition
BSN
MuscleTech
Gaspari Nutrition
GNC Product line
MusclePharm

LMAO. You don't know ****.

Optimum Nutrition and Gaspari make some of the better supps on the market.

I'd love to hear your reasoning... or should I say your regurgitation of someone else's reasoning.

DeltaSigChi4
06-24-2010, 08:12 PM
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine-archive/2010/july/food/protein-drinks/overview/index.htm

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/news/20100603/report-protein-drinks-have-unhealthy-metals

E

F l i c k e r
06-24-2010, 08:26 PM
Right now nothing.

I just finished a Body Fortress whey protein container yesterday. So I have nothing right now.

I have tried EAS, ON, BSN, MuscleMilk, and body fortress. EAS was okay. ON is the best. BSN is a pos. Musclemilk is nasty but works okay. Body Fortress is above EAS but below ON.

I'm gonna see about DNS. I don't know, I will just try it to see how it is.

BrooklynBomber
06-24-2010, 08:52 PM
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine-archive/2010/july/food/protein-drinks/overview/index.htm

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/news/20100603/report-protein-drinks-have-unhealthy-metals

E

You do know trace amounts of heavy metals are found in...everything we eat.

DempseyMarciano
06-24-2010, 08:53 PM
All those companies that I just mentioned are concerned more with they're marketing hype, then you the consumer. Go look at these muscle magazines. Tell me, what do you see on just about every other page?? ADVERTISING!!! Guess what, it cost between 10-15,000$$ a page to advertise in the magazines. That means these huge companies have an even bigger overhead. What does that mean, simply, they have to cut back on expenses, and where do they cut back, the same products that they are advertising to you in the magazines and on websites. In other words, the ingredients that these companies use are mostly low grade cheap(chinese) ingredients. It's a well known fact throughout the supplement industry.

As for ON, they're a story in and of themselves. About 15 yrs. ago or so, when they were first starting out, they got caught ripping people off. They were putting stuff on the lables, that weren't in the actual product. A law suit insude.

If you guys want good stuff that won't just be good for you short term, but also long term, always stick with a WHEY ISOLATE. Not a whey concentrate, or a blend of the two. When an Isolate and Concentrate or mixed, it becomes a concentrate. Isolates are higher in Bio Avaliblity and amino acids. Not to mention, they absorb quicker. Plus, Isolates have little to no cholesterol or fat in them.

Allmax Nutrition's ISOFLX: 90% whey isolate protein in just one scoop. That's good. The ISONATURAL is 93% isolate with just one scoop. You don't have all these added fillers in these shakes that you make with this protein powder. There are some other's as well. I have a list of the good stuff.

DempseyMarciano
06-24-2010, 09:52 PM
Syntrax Nectar WPI. 90 Calories per serving, 23g protein, 0 carbs/fat. All the flavours I've tried taste fine with water, I'd recommend it.

That's a good brand to follow. Or at least they're protein is. I to am taking it as well. The natural fruit punch flavor that I'm taking is 85% whey isolate. Anything over 80% and is a Isolate, is good.

Stevie_WONDER..
06-25-2010, 11:09 AM
.......u d man^^

Bullrush
06-25-2010, 11:38 AM
All those companies that I just mentioned are concerned more with they're marketing hype, then you the consumer. Go look at these muscle magazines. Tell me, what do you see on just about every other page?? ADVERTISING!!! Guess what, it cost between 10-15,000$$ a page to advertise in the magazines. That means these huge companies have an even bigger overhead. What does that mean, simply, they have to cut back on expenses, and where do they cut back, the same products that they are advertising to you in the magazines and on websites. In other words, the ingredients that these companies use are mostly low grade cheap(chinese) ingredients. It's a well known fact throughout the supplement industry.

As for ON, they're a story in and of themselves. About 15 yrs. ago or so, when they were first starting out, they got caught ripping people off. They were putting stuff on the lables, that weren't in the actual product. A law suit insude.

If you guys want good stuff that won't just be good for you short term, but also long term, always stick with a WHEY ISOLATE. Not a whey concentrate, or a blend of the two. When an Isolate and Concentrate or mixed, it becomes a concentrate. Isolates are higher in Bio Avaliblity and amino acids. Not to mention, they absorb quicker. Plus, Isolates have little to no cholesterol or fat in them.

Allmax Nutrition's ISOFLX: 90% whey isolate protein in just one scoop. That's good. The ISONATURAL is 93% isolate with just one scoop. You don't have all these added fillers in these shakes that you make with this protein powder. There are some other's as well. I have a list of the good stuff.

no offense but you dont know what youre talking about. ON is top notch i dont think you will find a single person who knows what hes talking about out there that would agree with you. stop guessing

Journeyman
06-25-2010, 02:41 PM
nm.................

DempseyMarciano
06-25-2010, 04:45 PM
no offense but you dont know what youre talking about. ON is top notch i dont think you will find a single person who knows what hes talking about out there that would agree with you. stop guessing

LOL. Guessing?? No, I'm not guessing. Take it from someone who knows. I've probably been taking supplements and been into this industry, longer then you've been alive. Don't tell me I don't know how it is.

Have a nice day, Ace.

Bullrush
06-26-2010, 02:43 AM
LOL. Guessing?? No, I'm not guessing. Take it from someone who knows. I've probably been taking supplements and been into this industry, longer then you've been alive. Don't tell me I don't know how it is.

Have a nice day, Ace.

you know? what do you know? youre guessing. advertising means you reach more people, you sell more, you make more money. you make it sound like companies have to sell a cheaper product in order to advertise, like they dont make any money off of advertising. way more than they would lose by advertising. if that wasnt the case you wouldnt see any companies advertise anymore. you dont go advertise if you dont make any money. have you ever watched TV? i guess using your logic all those companies must be broke and offer a terrible product

so no how do you "know" stuff? youre guessing, thats it.

plenty of guys in our gym swear by ON and like i said find me somebody that is legit and that people know confirm what youre claiming. you wont find anybody

DempseyMarciano
06-26-2010, 03:32 AM
[QUOTE=Bullrush;8703235]you know? what do you know? youre guessing. advertising means you reach more people, you sell more, you make more money. you make it sound like companies have to sell a cheaper product in order to advertise, like they dont make any money off of advertising. way more than they would lose by advertising. if that wasnt the case you wouldnt see any companies advertise anymore. you dont go advertise if you dont make any money. have you ever watched TV? i guess using your logic all those companies must be broke and offer a terrible product

so no how do you "know" stuff? youre guessing, thats it.

plenty of guys in our gym swear by ON and like i said find me somebody that is legit and that people know confirm what youre claiming. you wont find anybody[/QUOT

The money they make goes towards MORE ADVERTISING. The topic of this thread is about protein powders. I'm telling you and anyone else that will listen, that 99.9% of the time, the bigger the company, the less quality they're products are. I can find a handful of other protein powders that are alot better then anything that these big companies put out. Do you ever read lables?? Do you know how to actually find out the % of protein in each scoop you take?? ON's protein is at best, average. BSN's Syntha 6 is downright, horrible. Yeah, it tastes good, but that has to do with the fat and other fillers they add to it. Same with Cytosport's MuscleMilk. Gaspari Nutrition is in the same boat as the rest of the bunch.

What I'm saying is, for those of you out there that are taking protein shakes(and I would encourage all to do so, even if you're not an athlete) get the best protein you can find, and that's going to be a Whey Isolate, and only a Whey Isolate. Not a concentrate or a blend of the two, and make sure it's at least over 80% protein in each scoop.

Don't fall for the hype, guys.

DempseyMarciano
06-26-2010, 03:43 AM
Here's some powder's to check out. They can all be found on BodyBuilding.com, or maybe even VitaminShoppe.com

AllMax Nutrition's ISOFLEX & ISONATURAL
Syntrax's NECTAR (Try and stay with the fruit juice flavors)
NxLabs ISO XP
Integrated Supplements Whey Protein Isolate (Natural Flavor)
Bioplex WPI (Natural Flavor)

Hope that helps.

shyboirank#1
06-27-2010, 03:37 PM
muscle milk lite is probably the best or whey protein

- v e t -
06-27-2010, 03:49 PM
Brand names to avoid:

Optimum Nutrition
BSN
MuscleTech
Gaspari Nutrition
GNC Product line
MusclePharm

i see YOU say a lot, but do you have sources?!?!

LMAO. You don't know ****.

Optimum Nutrition and Gaspari make some of the better supps on the market.

I'd love to hear your reasoning... or should I say your regurgitation of someone else's reasoning.

my *****

DempseyMarciano
06-27-2010, 06:13 PM
[QUOTE=-veteran420-;8713873]i see YOU say a lot, but do you have sources?!?!

Yes, I have sources. Going back 17 yrs. Look, you guys can do what you want, but when it comes to protein powders, there are far better companies out there who put out a better product. They might not have all the advertising that these bigger companies have, but that's exactly why they can make a better product. They don't have the huge overhead. Just compare labels, people. When deciding on what kind of protein to take, the best is a Whey Isolate, and you want to make sure you get over 80% of protein, per scoop. Simple as that.

dreaded_FIST
06-27-2010, 07:53 PM
Enjoy putting heavy metals and toxic into your body.. just saying

http://i48.tinypic.com/jjw5t0.jpg

And your beloved ON is listed on that chart... enjoy that Arsenic. :)

Bullrush, you're an idiot....stop acting like you know everything. You're only making yourself look like a fool. I bet you'll tell all your friends not to take ON after reading this...f*cking chump

edit: There are more brands out there that contain heavy metals and what not...and I know which ones to avoid... haha

DeltaSigChi4
11-18-2010, 01:53 PM
You do know trace amounts of heavy metals are found in...everything we eat.

Do me a favour and provide empirical evidence (any study, really; amuse me) of the comparable amount being food in food I eat. Note: I don't consume dolphin. :rolleyes:

E

the_blueprint
11-18-2010, 02:22 PM
what do you people think about maximuscle?

MOTHER DUCKER
11-18-2010, 02:28 PM
It's not bad (biggest uk brand i think?)

I have used Sci mx aswell which i really liked the taste of (strawberry)

I went past Hollands and barrets i think it is today and saw there own brand protein down from 29£ to 13£ for 1kg worth. Not tested it myself but at that price i am definetly gonna try it out.

the_blueprint
11-18-2010, 02:51 PM
yeah body fortress is the holland and barrett one, that is what i have but i couldnt tell you how good it is because i have never tried any others and i dont take it as much as what i should

project xxx1
11-18-2010, 05:10 PM
better than maximuscle,cnp and met-rex imo

bodytronics

http://www.cardiffsportsnutrition.co.uk/product_images/q/824/47298_2113698__58928_thumb.jpg

aciovacco
11-19-2010, 10:55 AM
It really depends on what you want to gain out of it. Are you looking for a Weight Gainer, Meal Replacement, Protein Supplement, Wanting to build lean muscle mass?

Muscle Milk is a great protein mix, it has a good BCAA (Branch Chain Amino Acid) profile but its higher in calories because its a meal replacement. It also tastes great!

Soy Protein is good, but some people don't like the side effects that Soy has on their body, its a great protein source for the vegetarian community

Every major manufacture has weight gainer proteins for putting on weight, they are extremely high in calories and usually have good BCAA profiles

If you are looking for a Protein Supplement to add into your diet for post workouts I would recommend what I take personally and that is
Dymatize Nutrition Elite Whey Protein. Here is the info off of a 5lb container

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1 scoop
Servings Per Container 73

Amount Per Serving

Serving % DV
Calories 114 -

Calories from Fat 14 -

Total Fat 2 g 2%

Saturated Fat <1 g 1%

Cholesterol 15 mg 5%

Sodium 50 mg 2%

Total Carbohydrate 2 g 0%

Dietary Fiber 0 g 0%

Sugars 0 g -

Protein 24 g -

Vitamin A 0 0%

Vitamin C 0 0%

Calcium 0 18%

Iron 0 2%

Proprietary Blend 40 mg -

Trans Fat 0 g -

*percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.

Ingredients: Ion-Exchange Whey Protein Isolates, Cross Flow Ultra Filtration Whey Protein Concentrate (Providing Di-Peptides, Tri-Peptides, Oligo-Peptides, and Poly-Peptides), Whey Peptides, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Acesulfame-Potassium.

The Nice thing is it has a very high absorption rate because of the way the protein is processed its considered pharmaceutical grade.

check hook
11-22-2010, 03:46 AM
i like Horley's Ripped Factors. It's the only proten supp i use. For lean muscle gain and fat loss. Top quality product made in New Zealand.

http://www.horleys.com/ViewProduct.aspx?id=15

This actually tastes good. You can sprinkle it on oats or porridge. Makes awesome milshakes with a bannana and frozen berries.

ICE Whey i'm told is also good
http://www.horleys.com/ViewProduct.aspx?id=3

This one for those who want to look like Ronnie Coleman

http://www.horleys.com/ViewProduct.aspx?id=45

bunce101
11-22-2010, 06:10 AM
all natural australia

~BoZz~
11-22-2010, 10:22 AM
Black Widow - Hydroxy Whey

*OG Wenger*
11-23-2010, 06:38 AM
Black Widow - Hydroxy Whey

as i mentioned on another thread if you want to bulk up and put on muscle mass then i highly recommed CNP pro mass..in about a year i have put on about 20 pounds and can lift alot more weight in the gym....

Pro-Mass: A timed released weight gain based around whey and casein protein and complex carbohydrates. Mixes into a thick and tastey shake.

Manufactured for Chemical Nutrition Products (CNP), a British company based heavily in the real world of bodybuilding, and headed by two of the most respected names in the sport.

CNP's Pro-Mass is a straightforward high quality powdered drink mix weight gain formula. Consisting of high quality ingredients that will boost your calorie levels to assist you in gaining mass.

Ideal for those looking to replace a number of meals or add a number of meals to their daily schedule and absorb a reasonable quantity of high quality nutritional ingredients to gain bodyweight.

~BoZz~
11-23-2010, 08:20 AM
as i mentioned on another thread if you want to bulk up and put on muscle mass then i highly recommed CNP pro mass..in about a year i have put on about 20 pounds and can lift alot more weight in the gym....

Pro-Mass: A timed released weight gain based around whey and casein protein and complex carbohydrates. Mixes into a thick and tastey shake.

Manufactured for Chemical Nutrition Products (CNP), a British company based heavily in the real world of bodybuilding, and headed by two of the most respected names in the sport.

CNP's Pro-Mass is a straightforward high quality powdered drink mix weight gain formula. Consisting of high quality ingredients that will boost your calorie levels to assist you in gaining mass.

Ideal for those looking to replace a number of meals or add a number of meals to their daily schedule and absorb a reasonable quantity of high quality nutritional ingredients to gain bodyweight.

thanks but I'm not sure if I can get the cpn pro mass in australia.

i bought this one blindly just to feed the muscles because i do quite a bit of boxing and weight lifting so i thought it wouldn't be a bad idea to give them some protein.

i got the hydro weigh because it was only 90$ for 3kg

here please just take a quick look at this product and tell me if it's any good to build muscle.

http://www.blackwidownutrition.com/products.php?page=products/BlackWidow_Hydroxy%20Whey

Equilibrium
11-23-2010, 09:45 AM
Mvp pro whey. I took vanilla for a while but recently switched to the chocolate brownie flavor and i'm never going back. Tastes just like chocolate milk.

I tried other brands but didn't find anything i liked better than the mvp brand.

Wesker115
11-23-2010, 11:01 AM
Ok, I'm slightly generalising here...but surely the differences in results between most brands of Protein are minimal at best?
Even if one changed protein powders and appeared to be getting better results, this could be purely a placebo effect due to one perceiving that he is using better quality stuff.

With the right diet, training etc, surely it wouldn't matter if you were just using milk protein or just getting your protein from food?
Too much advertising and misinformation around these days. Opinions?

Aperion
11-23-2010, 11:48 AM
Ok, I'm slightly generalising here...but surely the differences in results between most brands of Protein are minimal at best?
Even if one changed protein powders and appeared to get better results this good be purely a placebo effect due to one perceiving that he is using better quality stuff.

With the right diet, training etc, surely it wouldn't matter if you were just using milk protein or just getting your protein from food?
Too much advertising and misinformation around these days. Opinions?

Yea, I have the same questions as you. Granted, I'm not a full time athlete, more of a part-time/weekend warrior/fitness buff so maybe their is a difference for those on here that compete on a serious level.

I used to drink protein shakes, and they did help in recovery, but I stopped spending my money on powders and just eat healthy foods instead. It seems a spoonful or two of natural peanut butter and raw broccoli give me the same thing but in natural foods instead of powder.

Also, is their such a thing as just raw protein? Not something with super-molecules of extra-specialness they advertise they put in these powders, but is a substance sold that is just pure protein? Like a brick of protein would be cool. Not sure if that makes sense, but I don't care about taste of anything at all and would totally eat a serving protein to get it in my body.

BIg Smoke
11-23-2010, 12:42 PM
Gaspari Myofusion.

Kevin714
11-23-2010, 01:15 PM
I drink muscle milk it's great. I always thought it was trash but I've noticed a difference

Roy Keane
11-25-2010, 06:23 AM
maxi muscle cyclone dont take it that much tbh.

Marcoccia
12-01-2010, 03:39 PM
I drink Isoflex it's pretty good but i'm sure there are better ones out there.

TKD1
12-04-2010, 06:53 PM
What do you guys think about BSN products?

holmeslaw
12-06-2010, 02:58 AM
I recently switched from Fitness Labs, to Nitro Peak by Inner Armour, it was slightly cheaper, and seems to have been a smooth transition. Anyone have any input on either brand?

MJ406
02-27-2011, 06:11 PM
I was looking around the web and apparently Powerbar makes a protein powder. Didn't know that

TKD1
02-28-2011, 04:06 PM
A great product is NITRO-TECH HARDCORE PRO SERIES

S.W.F.C
02-28-2011, 06:15 PM
Reflex or PHD Pharma Whey.

Checheni_Lamara
01-25-2013, 12:31 PM
MuscleTech Premium Whey - 1 cup after workouts - 20 gram protein

Sickening

BIg Smoke
01-25-2013, 02:37 PM
**** dat... Team 5 eggs a day checking in.

shyboirank#1
01-27-2013, 04:21 PM
i say just stick to muscle milk
and mix it with creatine 1mr by bpi