View Full Version : Fedor Emelianenko: "I'm Not A Fan Of The UFC"

snakerattle79
06-19-2010, 10:08 AM
http://mmajunkie.com/news/19604/strikeforces-fedor-emelianenko-im-not-a-fan-of-the-ufc.mma

Top-ranked heavyweight Fedor Emelianenko said today that he doesn't think much of the promotion that's so aggressively courted him for more than three years.

"I'm not a UFC fan," Emelianenko said when asked if his June 26 headliner against Fabricio Werdum at "Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Werdum" is more relevant than an a UFC title-unification bout between champ Brock Lesnar and interim title-holder Shane Carwin at UFC 116.

"I would invite all the fans to watch our fight, which I believe is more important," he said through translator Steven Bash.

The winner of Emelianenko (31-1 MMA, 1-0 SF) vs. Werdum (13-4-1 MMA, 2-0 SF) is expected to fight current Strikeforce heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem, who in May defended his title against Brett Rogers.

Overeem and his managers have sparred in the press with Emelianenko's representatives over the potential bout and have traded accusations as to the the long-anticipated fight's delay.

Emelianenko, who this past August signed a three-fight contract with Strikeforce after intense negotiations with the UFC, did not back off his statements when later asked to clarify.

"I'm not a fan of watching [the UFC's] fights," he said. "Compared to a lot of the commercials and promotion in anticipation of their fights, and compared to a lot of the shows I've seen, there seems to be a lot of negativity involved in their shows.

"So I'm just not a fan of watching their programs."

It was the first time Emelianenko took a direct shot at the UFC's product. In the three years since the Russian became a free agent with the shuttering of PRIDE Fighting Championships, he shied away from criticizing the industry-leading fight promotion.

UFC president Dana White alternately has blasted Emelianenko and coveted his services.

"I've signed Brock Lesnar, who came from the WWE, James Toney from boxing – he's a nut chasing me all over the place – Tito Ortiz, whom I hated, and he hated me," White told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) in an interview following UFC 115. "I've kept Chuck Liddell, kept Matt Hughes, kept Rich Franklin, when they were all champions. Anderson Silva, I've dealt with all the crazy [expletive] with him.

"But I can't sign Fedor? How is this possible that I can't sign this guy? It's not possible. These guys don't want to fight the best in the world."

Emelianenko said his dislike of the UFC stems from how its fights are presented and the fighters it employs.

"I think a combination," he said. "And also, in some ways, (it's due to) the actions and the behavior of a lot of fighters from the UFC. It takes away from the sport."

In the past, Emelianenko's manager, Vadim Finkelchtein, has addressed White's claims. But today, the manager and M-1 Global president was silent.

Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker said today that "Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Werdum" has crossed the 10,000 mark in ticket sales, and he expects a full house at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif., for the event.

Mozza
06-19-2010, 10:45 AM
Fedor talks ****.

-Swizzy-
06-19-2010, 01:43 PM
yeah, Fedor and Werdum is a very legit HW fight, but Carwin and Lesnar would both smash Werdum, and Werdum could very well beat Fedor. Not saying he is gonna do it, but he does have the tools to upset Fedor.

American_Ninja
06-19-2010, 03:13 PM
Who cares, Fedor is not a factor to me anymore. He will lose his next Big fight anyway.

I don't know who's more afraid of losing, Mayweather or Fedor.

ANACONDA
06-20-2010, 01:59 AM
This guy is all hype.

.Mik.
06-20-2010, 09:03 AM
It is however true at the moment that Strikeforce have probably the most legit combination of potential Heavyweight MMA fight. The only fighter bigger than Fedor vs Overeem is either of them vs Lesnar. Lesnar vs Cain or Carwin is simply a step down the ladder in comparison.

Virgil Caine
06-20-2010, 10:07 AM
Fedor is only speaking the truth. It's always comical to see the fanboys rush into this sort of thread with their defensive visors on though.

SuckaPunch
06-20-2010, 10:27 AM
is this fat commie still invading buffet tables in russia?

Bronsky
06-20-2010, 11:01 AM
Why the hate? Fedor is one of the greatest ever. Yes, he has had his history with Dana white but damn lol I myself don't like the UFC. I rather watch strikeforce or any others. Am I the only one that sees the UFC as too main stream? That's not a bad thing but to me it is IMO.

ƒallenloki
06-20-2010, 07:53 PM
This guy is all hype.

Breakbeat, I take it you just started watching MMA.

because only a ****ing idiot would say that.

Dirt
06-20-2010, 08:05 PM
what's dana white talking about? Fedor doesn't want to fight the best? Last time i checked White's HW champion hasn't fought at all this year. hell, did he even fight last year? he keeps ducking carwin.

ƒallenloki
06-20-2010, 08:09 PM
Fedor is the truth.

The guy smashed every single one of the top guys in their absolute prime with ease. He's put on exciting fights consistently since 2000. The guy is undefeated (the 1 on his record should be an NC, as he was hit with an intentional illegal elbow. However the structure of the tourny required him to be dealt an L as he couldn't continue)

As for Dana's comments, the guy is not to be taken seriously.

He is all talk, if it weren't for Frank and Lorenzo the UFC would have gone bankrupt a LONG time ago. For those not in the know, the UFC was $40M in the hole prior the The Ultimate Fighter and was on the verge of liquidation by Zuffa. The million (or billion) dollar idea came in the form of a reality show which Dana was frantically against. Turns out he was wrong, as he usually is.

The guy cannot keep any consistency in his opinion and is about as two-faced and dirty as Bob Arum.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5b2lcekeyjg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5b2lcekeyjg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

People think that the UFC signing old and shot former Pride fighters proves something... It would be the equivalent of Chuck signing with Strikeforce at this point and getting KTFO'd repeatedly. Does it prove something or take away from his accomplishments, I think not?

One last thing, most of the scrubs on here haven't watched MMA for more than three years, so they're not to be taken seriously. I doubt most of you can name more than 2 MMA organizations

blaze778
06-20-2010, 08:21 PM
Fedor was great back in the day and he's probably the greatest MMA heavyweight ever. But nowadays, he's not as relevant by his own failure to fight the biggest, toughest challenges out there (the UFC heavyeights). For some reason, I have doubts that Fedor will even fight Overeem, the only really good/skilled hw in Strikeforce. Fedor would probably fight Lashley before he fights Overeem.

I am not bashing Fedor, I consider him the greatest MMA heavyweight ever. I am just asking the question, what has he done in the past 4 years for people to still consider the best p4p fighter today? He is barely #1 in his weight class, and I would put him at number 2 or 3 on the p4p list.

Third Degree MM
06-20-2010, 08:22 PM
This guy is all hype.

and ufc 100 was the 1st MMA event you ever watched

blaze778
06-20-2010, 08:29 PM
what's dana white talking about? Fedor doesn't want to fight the best? Last time i checked White's HW champion hasn't fought at all this year. hell, did he even fight last year? he keeps ducking carwin.

Last time I checked, Lesnar and Carwin were to fight last Nov, but Brock pulled out because he was on his deathbed at a hospital in Canada from an intestinal illness. It's not White or Lesnar's fault that he almost died and couldn't fight for almost a year. His weight dropped down to 245 and he's a natural 280-290 pounder.

ƒallenloki
06-20-2010, 09:27 PM
Fedor was great back in the day and he's probably the greatest MMA heavyweight ever. But nowadays, he's not as relevant by his own failure to fight the biggest, toughest challenges out there (the UFC heavyeights). For some reason, I have doubts that Fedor will even fight Overeem, the only really good/skilled hw in Strikeforce. Fedor would probably fight Lashley before he fights Overeem.

I am not bashing Fedor, I consider him the greatest MMA heavyweight ever. I am just asking the question, what has he done in the past 4 years for people to still consider the best p4p fighter today? He is barely #1 in his weight class, and I would put him at number 2 or 3 on the p4p list.

I agree with some of your post, but the reality is that most of the UFC heavies (at the time when Dana pursued Fedor) were products of marketing.

Hell, even now there are only about three real talents in the HW division: Cain, Carwin, and JDS (who is one dimensional, defined)

blaze778
06-20-2010, 09:45 PM
I agree with some of your post, but the reality is that most of the UFC heavies (at the time when Dana pursued Fedor) were products of marketing.

Hell, even now there are only about three real talents in the HW division: Cain, Carwin, and JDS (who is one dimensional, defined)

I hear you, but even at the time when Dana pursued Fedor, there were still more challenges for Fedor in the UFC than Strikeforce (Couture, Mir, Brock). Even the three guys you consider to be the only real talents still outnumber the one real talent in Strikeforce (Overeem). I never heard of Rogers till he gave Fedor a tough fight, then he gets knocked by Overeem in the first round. Werdum is solid, but he's no real threat like Overeem or the UFC heavyweights you mentioned.

ƒallenloki
06-20-2010, 11:31 PM
I hear you, but even at the time when Dana pursued Fedor, there were still more challenges for Fedor in the UFC than Strikeforce (Couture, Mir, Brock). Even the three guys you consider to be the only real talents still outnumber the one real talent in Strikeforce (Overeem). I never heard of Rogers till he gave Fedor a tough fight, then he gets knocked by Overeem in the first round. Werdum is solid, but he's no real threat like Overeem or the UFC heavyweights you mentioned.

It's hard to say, man... When they were pursuing Fedor they really didn't have anyone. I don't think Cain Velasquez was even in the UFC yet, Carwin was knocking out real bums and we didn't know what he would become, JDS was the only real threat. Note: I don't factor Lesnar into anything, he's a product of marketing and possesses no real skill. Or at least he hasn't shown any.

At the same time, there was still a dangerous Tim Sylvia who at the time was ranked in the top 5 at HW, as well as Arlovski who was also ranked in the top 10 at the time. Brett Rogers may not have been ready for Fedor, but he was a top ten HW as he had pulled a MAJOR upset in KTFO'ing Andrei Arlovski.

I still care more to see him fight Overeem over anyone else in MMA.

The only guy in the UFC who poses a threat to Fedor is Cain Velasquez, but he's too raw at this point. He'd loses much like Rogers did. Those of you who disagree have never watched Fedors whole career.

Either way, Fedor will never be in the UFC. Fedor's management is not willing to have Fedor put into a lopsided contract because he does not need the UFC. For those of you who are not in the know, the UFC forces its fighters to sign contracts that are borderline illegal. The UFC has ALL the chips (research for yourself).

The UFC will not get Fedor without co-promoting with M1, and the UFC will NEVER co-promote, so this is done. This was the primary issue both times they negotiated. Fedor is part owner of M1-Global and it is part of his goal to promote his business venture and fighters from his Red Devil team. Dana doesn't understand that for Fedor zero's are not the bottom line, and so he resorts to ignorantly insulting the entire Russian culture. I just think it's pathetic that someone in Dana's position will publicly humiliate himself and his company repeatedly. Look up articles of Dana White insulting Fedor, then kissing his ass when he's trying to sign him, then insulting, then sucking up, and now sucking again.

One doesn't need to go much further than the Dana White-Loretta Hunt situation to understand that he's a classless ****

kenso
06-21-2010, 02:00 AM
good post to guy above me indeed.

as much as i'd like to see fedor fight the lesnar carwin winner - fact is it just wont happen. UFC is concerned about their own success, not the success of the sport. this is one of the problems with MMA - fighters under different banners hardly ever end up facing each other. this is one benefit with the promotional style of boxing. however - on the other side of the coin, fighters under a single banner are FORCED to fight who ever is the legit contender. meaning a champ cant pull any david haye ****.

also someone said lesnar is ducking carwin - you are retarded. thats like saying carl froch is ducking arthur abraham. they are already set to fight. getting tired of accusing fighters of dodging when they are clearly going to fight them.

i really wish fedor would retire though. wins over overeem, rogers, and werdrum do basically nothing for his career. wins over lesnar and carwin would be helpful - but a lot of these guys go just as fast as they come. what was it like, 2 years ago lesnar wasnt even in MMA, and no one even really knew carwin. they might be big wins for fedor right now, but in a year if they are faded contenders no one may really care.

fedors legacy is cemented. i get the vibe that he doesn't train as hard as he used to or care as much. i hate to see him get beat by someone he'd normally destroy. he can't secure the big fight that would take him to that next level - with the UFC champ - so he should call it a day IMO.

ƒallenloki
06-21-2010, 04:15 AM
good post to guy above me indeed.

as much as i'd like to see fedor fight the lesnar carwin winner - fact is it just wont happen. UFC is concerned about their own success, not the success of the sport. this is one of the problems with MMA - fighters under different banners hardly ever end up facing each other. this is one benefit with the promotional style of boxing. however - on the other side of the coin, fighters under a single banner are FORCED to fight who ever is the legit contender. meaning a champ cant pull any david haye ****.

also someone said lesnar is ducking carwin - you are retarded. thats like saying carl froch is ducking arthur abraham. they are already set to fight. getting tired of accusing fighters of dodging when they are clearly going to fight them.

i really wish fedor would retire though. wins over overeem, rogers, and werdrum do basically nothing for his career. wins over lesnar and carwin would be helpful - but a lot of these guys go just as fast as they come. what was it like, 2 years ago lesnar wasnt even in MMA, and no one even really knew carwin. they might be big wins for fedor right now, but in a year if they are faded contenders no one may really care.

fedors legacy is cemented. i get the vibe that he doesn't train as hard as he used to or care as much. i hate to see him get beat by someone he'd normally destroy. he can't secure the big fight that would take him to that next level - with the UFC champ - so he should call it a day IMO.

That's the truth right there brother.

I get the feeling that Fedor will retire after Werdum... The guy literally has nothing left to prove... He's the first REAL all time great of mixed martial arts. Not UFC ATG, but real ATG. Do you guys realize that the UFC put on an awards show for itself? lmao. :wtf:

G A M E
06-21-2010, 06:10 AM

I get the feeling that Fedor will retire after Werdum... The guy literally has nothing left to prove... He's the first REAL all time great of mixed martial arts. Not UFC ATG, but real ATG. Do you guys realize that the UFC put on an awards show for itself? lmao. :wtf:

just like the WWE.... suprise y'all their fan bases are similar? lol:chairshot

http://mmagifs.net/uploads/posts/2010-03/1269429373_just-bleed.gif

^^^^ W T F

Clegg
06-21-2010, 08:37 AM

Fedor's recent comp hasn't been great, but on the other hand at the time he beat Rogers, the guy had a similar record to what Cain and Carwin have now: a 1st round win over a former champion and not a great deal else.

I'm not saying that Rogers is as good as those two. He almost certainly isn't. But in terms of resume the gap wasn't much prior to Rogers losing twice.

From what I recall, at the time Fedor was due to fight Barnett, Barnett was rated as one the very best in the division by several websites. So I don't personally believe that he's avoiding the best. At the same time, people only deserve credit for what they've done, not what they're willing to do, and his recent wins haven't been that great so I understand why you don't rated him number 1 p4p.

Just my opinion of course, but I agree with those who say that waiting a while before making Fedor-Overeem was a business decision. It seems to have worked, because people seem a lot more interested in that matchup than they were 6 months ago. I would be very dissapointed if Fedor didn't face him next, I think that fight happens before the end of the year.

Virgil Caine
06-21-2010, 11:32 AM
Fedor's recent comp hasn't been great, but on the other hand at the time he beat Rogers, the guy had a similar record to what Cain and Carwin have now: a 1st round win over a former champion and not a great deal else.

I'm not saying that Rogers is as good as those two. He almost certainly isn't. But in terms of resume the gap wasn't much prior to Rogers losing twice.

From what I recall, at the time Fedor was due to fight Barnett, Barnett was rated as one the very best in the division by several websites. So I don't personally believe that he's avoiding the best. At the same time, people only deserve credit for what they've done, not what they're willing to do, and his recent wins haven't been that great so I understand why you don't rated him number 1 p4p.

Just my opinion of course, but I agree with those who say that waiting a while before making Fedor-Overeem was a business decision. It seems to have worked, because people seem a lot more interested in that matchup than they were 6 months ago. I would be very dissapointed if Fedor didn't face him next, I think that fight happens before the end of the year.

This is basically a fact actually, Coker even said in an interview early in the year that one of their main moves for 2010 was going to be to build a name for Overeem in the US. And your right, it has worked out and people are a lot more vocal about that fight since the Rogers KO. Now Fedor just has to do his job, and we'll have the fight in the winter, and it will be a big event, no question.

ƒallenloki
06-21-2010, 01:31 PM

Barnett ducked Fedor on three seperate occasions, **** was sad.

neils7147933
06-21-2010, 06:22 PM
If you hadn't heard of Rogers, you're not following the sport very closely. He had been on Showtime and CBS with EliteXC.

neils7147933
06-21-2010, 06:28 PM
The UFC heavyweights are all green

Like less than 3 quality wins each (and when Carwin beats Lesnar, Brock will be just two fights over .500)

That division is fledgling. They're pushing these oversized prospects as legit because their former champions fled or were blown up light heavies. We don't know if Dos Santos, Velazquez, Carwin are for real yet until they fight each other and get some more experience.

A shot Cro Cop fighting in a cage (which is a weakness) knocked off another one of their prospects. UFC fanboys call Arlovski past it, but he's got wins over Ben Rothwell and Roy Nelson, who UFC went out and signed (and Nelson won their show)

These folks thinking UFC has a stable full of heavyweight stars are the same folks that watch 24/7 and thought that Marquez could hang with Mayweather because of the video package.

monaroCountry
06-24-2010, 04:23 AM
The UFC heavyweights are all green

Like less than 3 quality wins each (and when Carwin beats Lesnar, Brock will be just two fights over .500)

That division is fledgling. They're pushing these oversized prospects as legit because their former champions fled or were blown up light heavies. We don't know if Dos Santos, Velazquez, Carwin are for real yet until they fight each other and get some more experience.

A shot Cro Cop fighting in a cage (which is a weakness) knocked off another one of their prospects. UFC fanboys call Arlovski past it, but he's got wins over Ben Rothwell and Roy Nelson, who UFC went out and signed (and Nelson won their show)

These folks thinking UFC has a stable full of heavyweight stars are the same folks that watch 24/7 and thought that Marquez could hang with Mayweather because of the video package.

Not even that:

Brock Lesnar: in his whole career only had 1 top ten win (Mir). Randy for the Brock fight was unranked, the same as Min So Kim and Herring. All the other UFC HW's from memory also had 1 top ten win each.

Fedor on the other hand had 3 top ten wins in his last three fights. AA was ranked #2 when he fought Fedor, Tim was ranked #3, both these guys were former UFC HW champions. Rogers was ranked #7 when he fought Fedor, Rogers came in with a 10-0 record. Werdum is also a ranked fighter as well as Overeem (not prior to his Rogers win).

kenso
06-24-2010, 04:08 PM
Not even that:

Brock Lesnar: in his whole career only had 1 top ten win (Mir). Randy for the Brock fight was unranked, the same as Min So Kim and Herring. All the other UFC HW's from memory also had 1 top ten win each.

Fedor on the other hand had 3 top ten wins in his last three fights. AA was ranked #2 when he fought Fedor, Tim was ranked #3, both these guys were former UFC HW champions. Rogers was ranked #7 when he fought Fedor, Rogers came in with a 10-0 record. Werdum is also a ranked fighter as well as Overeem (not prior to his Rogers win).

the only reason couture wasn't ranked was because he had a long lay off. people weren't sure if he was even going to fight again. couture was the UFC champ at the time, everyone knows couture was a legit top 10 fighter at the time of that fight, especially considering his previous fight (against gonzaga right?) was quite impressive. i honestly thought gonzaga was going to knock couture out cold. i was horribly wrong.

couture also did better in the lesnar fight than i ever expected. he almost took brock down at one point. not too ****ing bad for a 44 year old man or how ever old he was then. he might need to think about retiring now though. the fedor-couture fight interest is completely gone, and i dont care to see him pull a chuck liddell and lose a ton of a fights before finally going out.

ƒallenloki
06-24-2010, 05:29 PM
the only reason couture wasn't ranked was because he had a long lay off. people weren't sure if he was even going to fight again. couture was the UFC champ at the time, everyone knows couture was a legit top 10 fighter at the time of that fight, especially considering his previous fight (against gonzaga right?) was quite impressive. i honestly thought gonzaga was going to knock couture out cold. i was horribly wrong.

couture also did better in the lesnar fight than i ever expected. he almost took brock down at one point. not too ****ing bad for a 44 year old man or how ever old he was then. he might need to think about retiring now though. the fedor-couture fight interest is completely gone, and i dont care to see him pull a chuck liddell and lose a ton of a fights before finally going out.

or the fact that he has an 64% winning percentage and is a .500 guy at HW... Just saying.

Randy's accomplishments as a fighter are blown way the **** out of proportion. The guy is 44 and he is in awesome shape, but lets not forget that he has a very sub-par record at 18-10

monaroCountry
06-25-2010, 06:45 AM

Well OK then that could be a reason and would be a very valid reason too, it happens in combat sports all the time that a fighter drops after a long layoff (i.e. you cant have a fighter keep the number 2 ranking without fighting anyone for years on end).

But if you really want to play this game then why would Randy Couture be in the top ten in the first place (apart from being a darling with the UFC and its mostly American fans). The guy has 10 legit losses and just 18 wins. His number of losses is definately not good.

Anthony342
06-25-2010, 03:55 PM

The first? I kind of get what you mean, but Royce Gracie and Ken Shamrock aren't considered greats to you? Royce fought some in Pride, a little in K-1, Ken fought for years in Pancrase, so they didn't just compete in the UFC. Frank Shamrock, Renzo Gracie, Anderson Silva (or is it because Silva became well known later?)

I guess you're saying that because he fought pretty much everywhere and has the most well-rounded skills and beat everyone there was to beat right? Still though, I consider those other guys to be top guys of their eras as well.

What do you mean by the UFC put on an awards show for itself? Are you referring to their hall of fame inductions?

monaroCountry
06-26-2010, 02:56 AM
The first? I kind of get what you mean, but Royce Gracie and Ken Shamrock aren't considered greats to you? Royce fought some in Pride, a little in K-1, Ken fought for years in Pancrase, so they didn't just compete in the UFC. Frank Shamrock, Renzo Gracie, Anderson Silva (or is it because Silva became well known later?)

I guess you're saying that because he fought pretty much everywhere and has the most well-rounded skills and beat everyone there was to beat right? Still though, I consider those other guys to be top guys of their eras as well.

What do you mean by the UFC put on an awards show for itself? Are you referring to their hall of fame inductions?

Anderson Silva lost ALL of his fights outside the UFC.
Anderson Silva hasnt lost whilst in the UFC at all.

This is indicative of the level of competition he has had inside and outside the UFC.