View Full Version : Fun Little Hypothetical: You vs. Muay Thai Fighter

envirocopy512
06-19-2010, 03:01 AM
In a fight where full clinch, knees, and kicks are allowed, how do you think you would do with your boxing background? I ask because I think Muay Thai fighters are vulnerable to good punching. They'd probably kick your legs and try to wear you out with knees in the clinch. Do you think you would win? What is your overall impression of Muay Thai fighters?

Bronsky
06-19-2010, 05:21 AM
"Styles", "disciplines", "arts" whatever have you honestly don't mean squat. It doesn't matter if one guy follow one style and the other favors another it all boils down to the individual. So what if one person knows more "techniques" due to Muay Thai than you? Are you te better fighter regardless? So what if the guy has combos and incredible hand speed? It all boils down to what the individual is capable of accomplishing.

Edit: Speaking of the devil, as I scroll through other threads, I see that Double Jab's sig is the perfect answer to this thread. It goes.....

"The core of every combat form is to hit the opponent and not get hit yourself. It doesn't matter if you are a pressure fighter, an out fighter, a big puncher, an unorthadox fighter. I don't care if you are a kickboxer, a street fighter, or tae kwon do blackbelt.

If you can hit me, and I can't hit you, you are a better fighter, and I have something to learn from you.

There is no magic solution. In the end, the only weapon you really have is your brain. Just make sure to use it."

^^^and that's the truth.

ScottDBA
06-19-2010, 10:06 AM
I wouldn't do too good because I'm more of an inside fighter and that's right where a mt fighter would want me so he can clinch and throw knees.

Also makes it harder to get inside because they can use kicks to keep you at longer range than a boxer justs throwing punches.

Mannie Phresh
06-19-2010, 10:08 AM
ive done both and love to combine them i did alot more muay thai though

Othello
06-19-2010, 11:40 AM
Why do people always bring up this subject? Basketballer and golfer playing basketball, who wins? A fatass darts player and 240 pounds of pure muscle football player playing darts, who wins? You box te be good at boxing, not to be good at kickboxing, yes? I pity the fool that picks up a combat sport so he can protect his alpha male status in his weekly bar fight.
Here's your answer: A trained muay thai fighter will kick the **** out of you. Make no mistake, those low kicks hurt like a ***** and as a boxer you are very susceptible to them.

pyrovampx
06-19-2010, 10:22 PM
I'd imagine me squaring up pounding him with hard shots. Then he clinches knees me and elbows me, I lose a few teeth and have a few broken bones. His face is prolly ****ed up as well. He'd probably win depending on how good at muay thai he is. Muay thai is ****ing deadly in a streetfight.

F l i c k e r
06-19-2010, 10:34 PM
Depends on the thai fighter. If it's Buakaw, Yodsanklai, Naruepol, Kaew, Malaipet(whom I have trained with before) I would get turned inside out.

If it's some low ranked unknown. I would definitely be able to handle my own. In the ring and outside of it.

King of Sting
06-20-2010, 12:54 PM
"Styles", "disciplines", "arts" whatever have you honestly don't mean squat. It doesn't matter if one guy follow one style and the other favors another it all boils down to the individual. So what if one person knows more "techniques" due to Muay Thai than you? Are you te better fighter regardless? So what if the guy has combos and incredible hand speed? It all boils down to what the individual is capable of accomplishing.

Edit: Speaking of the devil, as I scroll through other threads, I see that Double Jab's sig is the perfect answer to this thread. It goes.....

"The core of every combat form is to hit the opponent and not get hit yourself. It doesn't matter if you are a pressure fighter, an out fighter, a big puncher, an unorthadox fighter. I don't care if you are a kickboxer, a street fighter, or tae kwon do blackbelt.

If you can hit me, and I can't hit you, you are a better fighter, and I have something to learn from you.

There is no magic solution. In the end, the only weapon you really have is your brain. Just make sure to use it."

^^^and that's the truth.Wrong, you obviously are not aware of how ignorant you make yourself out to be.

A Muay Thai fighter who is great in the clinch will eat anyone alive if their clinch skills are subpar to theirs. A guy who has never received kicks to the thighs before will be in for a painful shock.

I will agree with you on one thing, any stand-up art comes down to timing and distance, but, unless you're PBF, then you better be prepared to take some punishment from a well-trained Muay Thai fighter.

Bronsky
06-20-2010, 04:12 PM
Why respond that way? Relax yourself. I can respond to your post by your last sentence's statement. You say only a top world champion (pbf) can defeat a no name but well trained muay Thai fighter? You respond as if I insulted someone or am art. If I have to explain again then fine, I said it doesn't matter who has what style. It all boils down to the individual. You say well trained muay Thai fighter? Then how would it not be well trained boxer as well? Real Muay Thai fighters (real ones, not the American style that incorporated more boxing) are weak in the hand game and boxers are weak in the legs game. Thats the only difference. If one guy hits the other with a good feint then the other guy will go to attack and get countered. It all boils down to timing. Now Ill assume you'll say clinch game right? Well I'm assuming any boxer that has been in street fgts knows how to grab, throw around and punch at the same time. (dirty boxing). So now what? You assume a boxer won't throw an elbow at you? They do that in regular boxing to, and would do it further if it didn't result in a DQ. Bottomline, I'm not insulting any style. It all boils down to a persons experience in fighting not knowledge of technique. So for example you're saying that a world champion muaythai fighter would obliterate a Pacquiao with no gloves? C'mon! Smarten up kid. It all boils down to the individual. Ignorance? I plainly stated that it all boils down to the individual and from that you somehow flip it around to me insulting martial arts, lol. Relax this is a discussion forum not a battlefield.

The Stretch
06-20-2010, 05:43 PM
It's simple. I would win, no matter the cost. :boxing:

Southpaw Stinger
06-20-2010, 06:17 PM
Why respond that way? Relax yourself. I can respond to your post by your last sentence's statement. You say only a top world champion (pbf) can defeat a no name but well trained muay Thai fighter? You respond as if I insulted someone or am art. If I have to explain again then fine, I said it doesn't matter who has what style. It all boils down to the individual. You say well trained muay Thai fighter? Then how would it not be well trained boxer as well? Real Muay Thai fighters (real ones, not the American style that incorporated more boxing) are weak in the hand game and boxers are weak in the legs game. Thats the only difference. If one guy hits the other with a good feint then the other guy will go to attack and get countered. It all boils down to timing. Now Ill assume you'll say clinch game right? Well I'm assuming any boxer that has been in street fgts knows how to grab, throw around and punch at the same time. (dirty boxing). So now what? You assume a boxer won't throw an elbow at you? They do that in regular boxing to, and would do it further if it didn't result in a DQ. Bottomline, I'm not insulting any style. It all boils down to a persons experience in fighting not knowledge of technique. So for example you're saying that a world champion muaythai fighter would obliterate a Pacquiao with no gloves? C'mon! Smarten up kid. It all boils down to the individual. Ignorance? I plainly stated that it all boils down to the individual and from that you somehow flip it around to me insulting martial arts, lol. Relax this is a discussion forum not a battlefield.

You talk a lot of sense, fella. I'd buy you a drink.

envirocopy512
06-20-2010, 06:38 PM
If you actually practiced dirty boxing a lot you might have SOME success, but I think at that point you'd stop being a boxer and be more like an MMA fighter. If you're a pure boxer you're just not going to get by throwing some uppercuts in the clinch. You will get eaten alive with knees. You cannot imagine the helplessness of being in the clinch with a Thai. They're not just randomly throwing knees, they're off balancing you. You can't throw a punch with any kind of authority when you're off balance. They know where your weight is perfectly, and they'll have you tripping over yourself while they knee your body to death.

I think the boxer has a good chance if he can stay within punching range but not get too close to get clinched or too far to get kicked. So I guess a lot of it comes down to who can keep the other guy at the optimal range for their style. And the other guy is right about one thing, and that's the importance of timing. There are openings anytime a kick is thrown. With timing and footwork you can capitalize on them.

envirocopy512
06-20-2010, 06:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8dIsPTWyic

Dirty boxing = nothing but a few more floating ribs for you against this guy.

Monte Fisto
06-20-2010, 08:09 PM
You're still completely denying the fact that a particular style is more effective than others. Yes, it boils down to timing, but certain styles will definitely have its advantages over others, therefore giving an advantage to that particular style.

I'll use your example, A Muay Thai fighter vs a boxer of equal experience and athletic ability. Guess what, the fight is gonna be fought at a kicker's distance, that's a solid advantage right there for the kicker. If they get in close, whose got knees, elbows and the skill to control the inside ?

A boxer may know how to throw elbows, but it's simply not emphasized in a boxer's training regimen, because there's really no need for it. However, a Muay Thai fighter sharpens his knees and elbows day in, day out.

Bronsky
06-20-2010, 09:03 PM
I'm not denying anything. On paper any style that has more techniques in it's arsenal should* be more effective than the next which has less. Ou say you take my example right? Ok then how about I flip like a reciprocal and tell you that how have Americans with less leg usage/technique/skill but good boxing skills have gone over and have beat Thai fighters? This is a fact. I'm not saying it happens all the time, but it happens. Shoot check MTV's true life: I am a muay Thai fighter. Two American Thai fighters fought two hardened vet bareknuckle Burmese kickboxers and eventually realized that punches were going in like crazy (against hardened bareknuckle kickboxing vets, mind you) and knocked them out via punch. So yes, to not deny* muay Thai has more techniques and obviously should be more effective but no...what I'm reffering to is the X factor. As a matter of fact do you know the saying in muay Thai that goes: kick loses to punch, punch loses to knee, knee loses to elbow, elbow loses to kick. Regardless of disciplines what I'm saying is that no matter what training/style you have if you can hit me and I can't hit you, then you're the better fighter. Now if you want a politically correct answer then boxing loses to kickboxing, and kickboxing loses to MMA.

envirocopy512
06-20-2010, 10:25 PM
LOL @ MTV true life. nice example. :eyeroll:

Monte Fisto
06-21-2010, 01:46 AM
I'm not denying anything. On paper any style that has more techniques in it's arsenal should* be more effective than the next which has less. Ou say you take my example right? Ok then how about I flip like a reciprocal and tell you that how have Americans with less leg usage/technique/skill but good boxing skills have gone over and have beat Thai fighters? This is a fact. I'm not saying it happens all the time, but it happens. Shoot check MTV's true life: I am a muay Thai fighter. Two American Thai fighters fought two hardened vet bareknuckle Burmese kickboxers and eventually realized that punches were going in like crazy (against hardened bareknuckle kickboxing vets, mind you) and knocked them out via punch. So yes, to not deny* muay Thai has more techniques and obviously should be more effective but no...what I'm reffering to is the X factor. As a matter of fact do you know the saying in muay Thai that goes: kick loses to punch, punch loses to knee, knee loses to elbow, elbow loses to kick. Regardless of disciplines what I'm saying is that no matter what training/style you have if you can hit me and I can't hit you, then you're the better fighter. Now if you want a politically correct answer then boxing loses to kickboxing, and kickboxing loses to MMA. You're trying too hard. I never said the things i said as an absolute thing. I'm speaking in terms of generalities. Do you really think your example is how things will turn out whenever Muay Thai fighters face boxers, lol.

The Muay Thai fighter in general will have the advantages, that does not mean they can't get caught. What is it about my points that you ain't understanding, du*b%ss.

And, lmao at you using MT*'s True Life to try and prove your points, haha. You obviously don't know sh*t. You obviously don't have a clue at how often non-Thai fighters get their @sses handed to him in Thailand, it's f**kin' embarassing, really.

Spartacus Sully
06-21-2010, 02:04 AM
He who practices his 10 techniques 1000 times a day will allways beat he who practices his 1000 techniques 10 times a day.

Mauy Tiah sucks any ways, id spark that mofo out with just my guard, my jab and my right straight.

envirocopy512
06-21-2010, 02:49 AM
^^ that's dumb as hell. A Muay Thai fighter develops a hard ass round kick, a fast teep, and a clinch. sure they punch and throw other things, but these are the main things they do.

How would you deal with a muay thai fighters teep (foot jab)? It keeps your right in their kicking range where you can't make use of that jab you spent all your time developing. Not anti-boxing at all, but really, what would you do?

Spartacus Sully
06-21-2010, 03:02 AM
^^ that's dumb as hell. A Muay Thai fighter develops a hard ass round kick, a fast teep, and a clinch. sure they punch and throw other things, but these are the main things they do.

How would you deal with a muay thai fighters teep (foot jab)? It keeps your right in their kicking range where you can't make use of that jab you spent all your time developing. Not anti-boxing at all, but really, what would you do?

it dosnt really keep me in any range as i can allways back up.

any ways, id attack his foot calf and knee then punching at anything that comes close to me...still using only my guard, jab and right.

Or i could force his work rate up and guard off till he gets sloppy counting on my endurance to out last his.

Or i could step into the attacks throwing off the point of impact and allowing me to possibly get in close enough to land some rights.

envirocopy512
06-21-2010, 03:24 AM
well if you back up you're not in range to do anything so it accomplishes nothing. any time you try to go forward he's going to teep you. I think you could sidestep it or avoid it with other forms of footwork and counter, but it would not be easy. a teep isn't going to knock you out, but its every bit as disruptive to your rythym as a good jab. very frustrating to deal with.

what do you mean by attack his "foot, calf, or knee?" you would punch him in the leg?

Spartacus Sully
06-21-2010, 03:49 AM
well if you back up you're not in range to do anything so it accomplishes nothing. any time you try to go forward he's going to teep you. I think you could sidestep it or avoid it with other forms of footwork and counter, but it would not be easy. a teep isn't going to knock you out, but its every bit as disruptive to your rythym as a good jab. very frustrating to deal with.

what do you mean by attack his "foot, calf, or knee?" you would punch him in the leg?

Yes i would **** his leg up as it would be in perfect range as i back up.

ever have some on punch you in the heel as hard as they can? it sends a decent shock down your entire leg and depending on the situation can completely put you off balance or how about a nice shot right to the top of your foot or to the ankle? **** can be pretty painful and quite easy to time with a nice 1 to get the range and 2 to do the damage. you could also tempt him if you know hes going to throw the teep when you step in and time it that way.

I could dooo all kinds of things with feinting counters and foot work but i was just going off only being able to guard jab and right straights.

Frighteous
06-21-2010, 09:54 AM
Of course it's all about the induvidual.

time a teep and get under it for the takedown and just beat em up on the ground.

Stevie_WONDER..
06-21-2010, 10:20 AM

How would you deal with a muay thai fighters teep (foot jab)? It keeps your right in their kicking range where you can't make use of that jab you spent all your time developing. Not anti-boxing at all, but really, what would you do?Is this in the ring or when he spills his beer over you in the pub?

Cuz otheriwise he will be wearing a nice pair of rubber runners and restricting jeans while the boxer is thinking about rearanging his face with his the use of his knuckles..

Or is this in a 24 foot ring with a fully warmed up and pre-streched kickboxer wearing a mini-skirt length pair of shorts facing a boxer with his grestest weapons pillow-fied with 8 ounce gloves..

Cuz theres a big difference otherwise

Dirt
06-21-2010, 10:08 PM
hmm. lts see. a muay thai fighter vs. a boxer in a MT fight.

my money would be on the MT fighter via KO from a headkick.

MT fighter has the longer reach with his legs. kicks to the legs and body will slow down the boxer.

The boxer has a punchers chance

DiLLiNGER
06-22-2010, 06:20 AM
wing tsun rules

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mrLuQ0aONCM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mrLuQ0aONCM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Roy Keane
06-22-2010, 07:18 AM
thing is a boxer is only used to covering his face/body id suspect he'd forget about his legs in the actual fight and get them busted up, or if he survives a few kicks he'd be to wary to get close, thai fighters are trained to mix up leg and punch combos, so he'd go for your legs you'd drop your guard in an attempt to parry his kick then you would get punched/elbowed in the face or gripped in a clinch.

Monte Fisto
06-22-2010, 11:21 PM
In a fight where full clinch, knees, and kicks are allowed, how do you think you would do with your boxing background? I ask because I think Muay Thai fighters are vulnerable to good punching. They'd probably kick your legs and try to wear you out with knees in the clinch. Do you think you would win? What is your overall impression of Muay Thai fighters?There's so many things to consider with your question.

1. Is the Muay Thai fighter gonna be taller than me ?

2. Is the Muay Thai fighter gonna be relatively more experienced than me ?

3. Is the Muay Thai fighter gonna be significantly bigger than me ?

4. Is the Muay Thai fighter gonna be more athletic than me ?

But, just to answer the question. If it's an experienced Muay Thai fighter and all I have to fall back on is my boxing, then, the Muay Thai fighter would have a big edge.

My impression of Muay Thai: I love it, I actually like it more than boxing.

GoogleMe
06-23-2010, 03:06 AM
If I haven't dropped him in 1 minute, then Muay Thai man TKO by vicious leg kicks!!!

dangerousity
06-25-2010, 07:26 PM
I did muay thai briefly for about 2 months. The biggest problem when sparring them with my boxing background was the leg kicks. Like with everything else, the most important is the basics. if you dont even know the basics of leg kick defense, your screwed. That said, if you learn the basics of defense against kicks, then you can hold your own pretty well given your superior hands (if equal respectively).

Its like MMA, strikers dont need to be masters at bjj and wrestling, but if they want to even stand a chance, they need to atleast learn the basics of defending against takedowns. Guys like cro cop had a lot of success with very limited grappling background.