View Full Version : Lower back fat/lovehandles

cosmichorn
06-16-2010, 08:52 PM
Hi im a 5"9 17 year old male and weigh roughly 145-150 (but i still look pretty skinny) and i find that despite a flat toned stomach i still get areas of fat just above my hips, giving a concurve from my ribs to my hips, which ruin the 'v' of my torso, anyone got any exercises/advice on how i can try and get rid of it?

As i said i dont accumilate fat in really any other area just this, and its annoying because it doesnt look very masculine IMO

One theory is that maybe ive build too much muscle around this area, and the layer of fat on top of it makes it look more pronounced?

- v e t -
06-16-2010, 08:56 PM
"spot reducing" is mostly a myth...

people are different, their bodies store fat in different areas according to different priorities...

you'll just have to expend more calories than you take in for a while and they'll go away

Third Degree MM
06-16-2010, 09:44 PM
run more eat less

BrooklynBomber
06-16-2010, 09:50 PM
Just regular fat and you are out of shape, plus you got some really bad eating habits. In fact I can congratulate you with bad insulin sensetivity.

shogunn
06-17-2010, 12:33 AM
Its just your whole body fat percentage. Some people grow fat even, some goes straight to hips and stomach.

Lower your body fat percentage, and youll get what you want.

Back pullups help with the V shape

cosmichorn
06-17-2010, 09:32 PM
Just regular fat and you are out of shape, plus you got some really bad eating habits. In fact I can congratulate you with bad insulin sensetivity.

????????? Care to explain a bit more rather than being dry

BrooklynBomber
06-17-2010, 09:38 PM
????????? Care to explain a bit more rather than being dry

Basically, when your body concentrate it's fat in the lower back/ abdominal area rather then evenly all over your body means that your insulin sensetivity is bad, due to your eating habits, like eating too much carbs and especially junkfood/fast carbs. This, besides the cosmetic reasons is also a first bell to getting an aquiered adult diabetis for some people.

This is really long to explain but I advise to skim through www.t-nation.com for all the diet and nutrition articles, they cover this topic very well.

PS. Dont worry so much about bad insuling sensetivity, majority of americans and europeans have this problem, but you should really deal with it.

cosmichorn
06-17-2010, 09:42 PM
Basically, when your body concentrate it's fat in the lower back/ abdominal area rather then evenly all over your body means that your insulin sensetivity is bad, due to your eating habits, like eating too much carbs and especially junkfood/fast carbs. This, besides the cosmetic reasons is also a first bell to getting an aquiered adult diabetis for some people.

This is really long to explain but I advise to skim through www.t-nation.com for all the diet and nutrition articles, they cover this topic very well.

PS. Dont worry so much about bad insuling sensetivity, majority of americans and europeans have this problem, but you should really deal with it.

Thanks, these effects irreversable? Ill try cut out the carbs, but am i doomed to forever love handles or can i lose the fat?

BrooklynBomber
06-17-2010, 09:58 PM
Thanks, these effects irreversable? Ill try cut out the carbs, but am i doomed to forever love handles or can i lose the fat?

Completely reversable. Training and diet are your friends. But you should really do your own research, its too big too explain in one post or thread. It's a lifestyle change.

Don Flamenco
06-17-2010, 10:32 PM
Hi im a 5"9 17 year old male and weigh roughly 145-150 (but i still look pretty skinny) and i find that despite a flat toned stomach i still get areas of fat just above my hips, giving a concurve from my ribs to my hips, which ruin the 'v' of my torso, anyone got any exercises/advice on how i can try and get rid of it?

As i said i dont accumilate fat in really any other area just this, and its annoying because it doesnt look very masculine IMO

One theory is that maybe ive build too much muscle around this area, and the layer of fat on top of it makes it look more pronounced?

You can do all kinds of exercises to target that area of your body, but your body will want to burn off and store fat wherever it wants.

SBleeder
06-18-2010, 09:54 AM
Don't worry about looks, train for performance.

SpecialOne
06-18-2010, 11:21 AM
run run run and eat less than u normally do

obviously sit up exercises will help

dustinr.waters
06-18-2010, 03:02 PM
that's energy storage buddy.

Fearless
06-18-2010, 09:03 PM
Don't worry about looks, train for performance.

I agree with this, if you train for performance you will need to eat right to ensure that you perform at optimal level, and as a byproduct you will lose weight.

Sam Donald
06-19-2010, 03:35 AM
Aerobic and anarobic training

mapanoy
11-03-2011, 03:35 AM
Try cardio combine with weight training and don't forget to eat healthy.

Sugarj
11-03-2011, 06:00 AM
Funnily enough I'm the same height 5ft9 and a similar weight to the thread starter 152Lbs.

I'd doubt that you're carrying much fat at all, with that height to weight ratio (I'm certainly not).

If you really are carrying as much fat as you say I'd wager that your upper body is not particularly muscular.

If it was me, I'd start a 3 x a week running routine. Nothing too taxing, work up over the next few weeks to perhaps 3 miles at 7 minute mile pace and do this three times a week with a day's rest in between (3 miles is 12 laps of a standard 400metre track, you'll probably have one at your school. Aim to complete each lap in around 1 min 45 seconds). This shouldn't take long to achieve with your weight and youth! Running shifts body fat like nothing else in my experience.

On the rest days I'd start an upper body weights routine, again nothing too taxing, one set of each exercise with 10-12 reps of each would be fine to start off. Just make sure you work all muscle groups (seek a gym enthusiast to show you the exercises and techniques). Finish with some abdominal exercises, they wont shift fat around the stomach area. But they will help tone and build the muscle underneath.

Don't worry about eating less, you'll need fuel for the above. Just watch the junk food and you'll be fine.